What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

What's Hmong's status in Vietnam ?
Hi There,

I don't know the status of Hmong in Vietnam. But I can tell you about the Hmong where I am at, there are two tribes of Hmong, the White and Green tribes/community. I was told that they do not get along well with one another. Nevertheless, they are very generous people and has an organized community. They appear very carefree about current events.

Even in today's modern society, they still elect a tribal leader within their community. The community held a magnificently, grand festival and comes together every year during the Hmong New Year. It is one of the most spectacular site. The girls will dress up in there traditional attires, decorated with shimmering silver jewelries. The sounds of fun, filled with songs, dances and laughters at every turn.

I have been very honored to attend several of their New Year Festivals as well as being invited into their homes to eat Hmong's version of phở noodle soup. It is much sweeter than Vietnamese phở with a lot more sugar added, but it is delicious all the same.

In several occasions, I was invited to their past time chicken fight matches, where imported giant Cornish Game Cocks dual it out on a drawn out dirt arena. There are many, many more positive things to say about their culture.

Hi There,

I don't know the status of Hmong in Vietnam. But I can tell you about the Hmong where I am at, there are two tribes of Hmong, the White and Green tribes/community. I was told that they do not get along well with one another. Nevertheless, they are very generous people and has an organized community. They appear very carefree about current events.

Even in today's modern society, they still elect a tribal leader within their community. The community held a magnificently, grand festival and comes together every year during the Hmong New Year. It is one of the most spectacular site. The girls will dress up in there traditional attires, decorated with shimmering silver jewelries. The sounds of fun, filled with songs, dances and laughters at every turn.

I have been very honored to attend several of their New Year Festivals as well as being invited into their homes to eat Hmong's version of phở noodle soup. It is much sweeter than Vietnamese phở with a lot more sugar added, but it is delicious all the same.

In several occasions, I was invited to their past time chicken fight matches, where imported giant Cornish Game Cocks dual it out on a drawn out dirt arena. There are many, many more positive things to say about their culture.

I've worked with the Hmong community before -- for research; the objective was to examine their oral folklore traditions' , and the effects of Hmong culture's influence in marriage, higher education, language. They (Hmong) are quite an interesting group because of the resistance to assimilate in some instances, many of whom prefer starting families early on and marrying within tribes. They are a strong, cohesive minority group, i admit.

I've worked with the Hmong community before -- for research; the objective was to examine their oral folklore traditions' , and the effects of Hmong culture's influence in marriage, higher education, language. They (Hmong) are quite an interesting group because of the resistance to assimilate in some instances, many of whom prefer starting families early on and marrying within tribes. They are a strong, cohesive minority group, i admit.
I agree, they do have an distinctive culture to some extent. Especially their views toward marriage as you have stated.

Last edited:
@Nihonjin1051-san,

You have been quietly observing every comments in this forum, what is your current stand on this topic? If you don't mind me asking. I would like hear your opinions.

Much advance appreciation on your input(s).

Last edited:
You lie, Hokkien people or Min Nan don't shared same blood line with Han Chinese in He Nan. Your apperance does not looks like northern Han Chinese in He Nam and He Bei.

yndahan.jpg

You speak Hokkien language, in which is still reserved many word from Altaic language, today speak by Korean and Japanese, example of Hokkiens word compare it with current korean and japanese word:

FLAG ~ Hokkien : Ki ..Korean : Ki .. Japanese : Ki
THANKS/GRATITUDE ~ Hokkien : Kam sia ..Korean : Kam Sa.. Japanese : Kansha
SUCCESS ~ Hokkien : Seng Kong.. Korea : Song Kong.. Japanese : Seikoo
PROGRESS ~ Hokkien : Chin Por.. Korean : Chin Bo ..Japanese : Shinpo
NEWS ~ Hokkien : Sin Boon ..Korean : Sin Mun ..Japanese : Shin Bun
SIMPLE ~ Hokkien : Kan Tan ..Korean : Gand Dan ..Japanese : Kan Tan
TIME ~ Hokkien : Si Kan .. Korean : Si Kan .. Japanese : Ji Kan
PREPARE ~ Hokkien : Choon Pi ..Korean : Joon Pi .. Japanese : Jun Bi

So Min Nan (Hokkien) people should been mixed from Min Yue and Dong Yi.

Do you see the yellow portion? All Han sub-groups are predominantly O3a carriers.

Do you see the yellow portion? All Han sub-groups are predominantly O3a carriers.

he he, you quoted very fast, I forget that I ignored him.

O3a is common cluster shared by Mongolid race people in Asia, including Chinese in general, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Manchurian, Vietnamese and even though Kazakhstan people.

vietnamydna.jpg

@Nihonjin1051-san,

You have been quietly observing every comments in this forum, what is your current stand on this topic between Viet and Han? Has your analysis come into a conclusion? If you don't mind me asking. I would like hear your opinions.

Much advance appreciation on your input(s).

Greetings @Rent ,

I didn't know someone was observing me observing. :laugh: :lol:

The history of Vietnam is, indeed, very interesting. The proto-Vietnamese identity can be traced back to the rule of the Hung kings during the Early Hong Bang Dynasty. I believe the Vietnamese refer to this era as the period of Hung Vuong. The arrival of Chinese influence into Vietnam started as a cultural wave, through trade, through language, through writing systems, as well as through philosophical exchange. This eventually culminated into military intervention as seen when the Han Army invaded Nam Viet in 111 BC. This domination continued throughout history and despite Chinese dynastic changes. We see this from the Han dynasty, to the Liang dynasty, the Tang dynasty. Interspersed throughout period were instances of popular civil revolt such as the ones led by the Trung sisters, and those by Ly Bon, Phung Hung and Thuc Loan. Tho these rebellions ended in failure, these are examples of Vietnamese people’s wish to be free from foreign domination.

Their history (Vietnam’s) is filled with foreign intervention. They range from the Champ, the Khmers, the Chinese, the Mongols (Yuan), the Qing, the French, the Japanese, the French again, the Americans, and recently the Chinese. Its natural that Vietnamese become sensitive when being invoked into a psychological abuse by referring to their history of domination. What national would respond sans emotion ? I personally don’t think its constructive for the Chinese and Vietnamese members to hurl invectives on each other; but, rather, should understand that history has bound them to each other and that there should be an appreciation on both parties – for each other’s historical commonality, cultural similarity, yet diverging national development.

The Chinese endured a very cruel 19th and early 20th century, being subject to the whim of the Imperial powers, the forced implementation of the Spheres of Influence, the loss of land and territory, the opiate trade that debilitated many a generation of Chinese. The Vietnamese, too, were subject to imperial domination in the form of the French; who colonized not only Dai Viet, but Laos and Cambodia. So in that respect, both China and Vietnam have a history of being perturbed and dominated by foreign colonial powers.

There should be a mutual respect and appreciation for each others’ common sufferings during this time. Rather than debasing each other through non-productive insults, should discourse on issues that would better Vietnam and China. In regards to territory, that shouldn’t be used to hurl racist comments on each other. Chinese side shouldn’t refer to Vietnamese as “monkeys”, or “macaca nigra” as some are prone to saying. Its rather hurtful because members from around the world visit this forum and many from Africa, or many who are African-American. Thus, I emphasize that posts here should be considerate of their substance. The same goes for the Vietnamese posters ; to respond with grace and sobriety.

Sincerely,

I remain,

@Nihonjin1051

O3a is common cluster shared by Mongolid race people in Asia, including Chinese in general, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Manchurian, Vietnamese and even though Kazakhstan people.

vietnamydna.jpg

But only the Han Chinese are predominantly O3a, so this means this is our unique gene marker.

Other people acquiring O3a by intermarrying with us.

Vietnamese spoke a variant of Chinese throughout history which explains why there are so many Chinese words in modern day Vietnamese languages.

Except Vietnamese parade it as the truth and seek to claim southern China as their own ie Rechoice,if they were from southern China they wouldn't be called Vietnamese now would they.
There are also French words and English words too. Yet as I know the mojority of VNese during the colonial period and VN war did not speak those two like a mother tongue.

There are extrimists around, they can claim what they want. Us the majority VNese don't really follow them. We are fine with our territory now, don't plan on "taking anything back" or "reclaiming our lost territories" like China.

Greetings @Rent ,

The history of Vietnam is, indeed, very interesting. The proto-Vietnamese identity can be traced back to the rule of the Hung kings during the Early Hong Bang Dynasty. I believe the Vietnamese refer to this era as the period of Hung Vuong. The arrival of Chinese influence into Vietnam started as a cultural wave, through trade, through language, through writing systems, as well as through philosophical exchange. This eventually culminated into military intervention as seen when the Han Army invaded Nam Viet in 111 BC. This domination continued throughout history and despite Chinese dynastic changes. We see this from the Han dynasty, to the Liang dynasty, the Tang dynasty. Interspersed throughout period were instances of popular civil revolt such as the ones led by the Trung sisters, and those by Ly Bon, Phung Hung and Thuc Loan. Tho these rebellions ended in failure, these are examples of Vietnamese people’s wish to be free from foreign domination.

Their history (Vietnam’s) is filled with foreign intervention. They range from the Champ, the Khmers, the Chinese, the Mongols (Yuan), the Qing, the French, the Japanese, the French again, the Americans, and recently the Chinese. Its natural that Vietnamese become sensitive when being invoked into a psychological abuse by referring to their history of domination. What national would respond sans emotion ? I personally don’t think its constructive for the Chinese and Vietnamese members to hurl invectives on each other; but, rather, should understand that history has bound them to each other and that there should be an appreciation on both parties – for each other’s historical commonality, cultural similarity, yet diverging national development.

The Chinese endured a very cruel 19th and early 20th century, being subject to the whim of the Imperial powers, the forced implementation of the Spheres of Influence, the loss of land and territory, the opiate trade that debilitated many a generation of Chinese. The Vietnamese, too, were subject to imperial domination in the form of the French; who colonized not only Dai Viet, but Laos and Cambodia. So in that respect, both China and Vietnam have a history of being perturbed and dominated by foreign colonial powers.

There should be a mutual respect and appreciation for each others’ common sufferings during this time. Rather than debasing each other through non-productive insults, should discourse on issues that would better Vietnam and China. In regards to territory, that shouldn’t be used to hurl racist comments on each other. Chinese side shouldn’t refer to Vietnamese as “monkeys”, or “macaca nigra” as some are prone to saying. Its rather hurtful because members from around the world visit this forum and many from Africa, or many who are African-American. Thus, I emphasize that posts here should be considerate of their substance. The same goes for the Vietnamese posters ; to respond with grace and sobriety.

Sincerely,

I remain,

@Nihonjin1051
Well said, my friend. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::tup:

There are also French words and English words too. Yet as I know the mojority of VNese during the colonial period and VN war did not speak those two like a mother tongue.

There are extrimists around, they can claim what they want. Us the majority VNese don't really follow them. We are fine with our territory now, don't plan on "taking anything back" or "reclaiming our lost territories" like China.
You don't seem to realize that Vietnamese elites literally spoke a Sinitic language,and shifted to a Muong language after Le Loi won.

vietnamydna.jpg
Some O3a subclades originated in Sino Tibetans ie JST002611,M134,M117.

Even so how can you explain the Y haplogroup similarities of Henan and Fujian Han?

You don't seem to realize that Vietnamese elites literally spoke a Sinitic language,and shifted to a Muong language after Le Loi won.
There were much more Chinese world in VNese dictionary a few years back ( maybe 5%, I am not sure). Some scholars even feared that we needed to "purify" VNese before it got mixed up with Chinese, for cultural preservation of course. But with the internet rapid expansion in VN, VNese got even more messed up and now no one ever care about the purity of our language anymore. If it can be used to communicate between Vnese, it is VNese. Almost all minor ethics in VN has their own languages, but slowly they changed to Kinh as that is the dominant culture in VN right now.

I am no historian or language expert to argue with you about our langue, sorry about that.

Greetings @Rent ,

Sincerely,

I remain,

@Nihonjin1051
Wow. Very impressive observations. Arigatou gozaimasu for the enlighten advices, Nihonjin1050-san.

Back
Top Bottom