What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

Historically the tamils and malayalees were always warring kingdoms. In fact the history of deep south India is just the fight between three kingdoms, the Cheras, Cholas and Pandayas. (Who claim lineage from the Pandava's)

The name kerala is first mentioned in 261 BC in the edicts of Emperor Ashoka when he mentions one of his neighbours to the south as "Kedalaputho" or 'Kerala-puthra' as we understand it today. or it could very well mean "kadala puthra" or children of the ocean.

Graeco-Roman trade map Periplus Maris Erythraei refers to this Keralaputra as Celobotra. This is what it says,

"Then come Naura (Kannur) and Tyndis, the first markets of Damirica or Limyrike, and then Muziris and Nelcynda, which are now of leading importance. Tyndis is of the Kingdom of Cerobothra; it is a village in plain sight by the sea. Muziris, of the same kingdom, abounds in ships sent there with cargoes from Arabia, and by the Greeks; it is located on a river (River Periyar), distant from Tyndis by river and sea five hundred stadia, and up the river from the shore twenty stadia. Nelcynda is distant from Muziris by river and sea about five hundred stadia, and is of another Kingdom, the Pandian. This place also is situated on a river, about one hundred and twenty stadia from the sea...."

PeriplusAncientMap.jpg
Cheral is the correct form...Kerala is the corrupted Sanskritized version...
note-The language of Kerala used to be Tamil,not Sanskrit...

Why would he want to do that? :what:

Our history books state clearly that he was a freedom fighter who fought against the evil British.

Bro you have no idea.
Outside of Mysore Tippu Sultan and his father was pure evil.Pure Religious Bigotary.
Nairs in Malabar opposed his invasion and show huge resistance .So he decimated all of us and made slaves that cant hold weapons. .He dont spare innocent christians also.
He further advanced to Travancore .But travancore Nair Army under Dharmaraja gave him huge defeat and bloody nose with minimal loss in Travancore side.
You can check wikipedia

'Battle Of Nedungotta'

Northern kerala and coastal karnataka people seems to be same but ruled by different kingdoms
yeah..A lot of similarities..Actually North kasargod district is still predominantly tulu/Kannada area.Even in North Kerala Malayalam,especially in kasargod dialect ,there are lot of influences from Kannada/tulu...culture,cusines too...

Of course, let us see some of the facts of this great secular freedom fighter.

In 1785 Tipu Sultan wrote to his Governor of Bekal, Budruz Zaman Khan approving forced conversions of Nairs,

"Your two letters, with the enclosed memorandums of the Nâimâ (Nair) captives, have been received. You did right in causing a hundred and thirty-five of them to be circumcised, and in putting eleven of the youngest of these into the Usud Ilhye band, and the remaining ninety-four into the Ahmedy troops, consigning the whole, at the same time, to the charge of the Kiladar of Nugr (Bednore).

The same year he sent an order to the Faujdar of Calicut, Arshad Ali Baig regarding the treatement of a Gurukul teacher,

"Getting possession of the villain, Goorkul, and of his wife and children, you must forcibly make Mussalmans out of them, and then dispatch the whole under a guard to Seringapatam."

In 1788, Tipu issued a proclamation to the Nairs of kerala, wherein he outlined his new scheme of social reform,

"From the period of the conquest until this day, during twenty-four years, you have been a turbulent and refractory people, and in the wars waged during your rainy season, you have caused number of our warriors to taste the draught of martyrdom. Be it so. What is past is past. Hereafter you must proceed in an opposite manner, dwell quietly and pay your dues like good subjects and since it is the practice with you for one woman to associate with ten men, and you leave your mothers and sisters unconstrained in their obscene practices, and are thence all born in adultery, and are more shameless in your connections than the beasts of the fields : I hereby require you to forsake these sinful practices and be like the rest of mankind; and if you are disobedient to these commands, I have made repeated vows to honour the whole of you with Islam and to march all the chief persons to the seat of Government."

..........now the seculars post picturess saying Tipu sultan was reformed after drinking water from the well :lol:

Moroccoan cleric Ibn Battuta who travelled to kerala in 1335 has written about Kerala.

imagesCAOTIT3R.jpg

You might want to read his autobiography which is as good as the travels of marco polo.
Secular. Very secular. :enjoy:

Cheral is the correct form...Kerala is the corrupted Sanskritized version...
note-The language of Kerala used to be Tamil,not Sanskrit...

It could be Cheral it could be Chera, there is a place called cherthala in kerala. Chera-thala would literally mean land of the Chera.

We know the word chera from sangam literature, hence we assume its tamil.

In any case Sanskrit/Prakrit derived Buddhist Pali Language and the Jain Kalpasutra were known to Keralites from 500 BC onwards. There was a separate center for learning in kerala.

Tamil malayalam split is observed from 600 AD onwards so its too far back in history.

Last edited:
Of course, let us see some of the facts of this great secular freedom fighter.

In 1785 Tipu Sultan wrote to his Governor of Bekal, Budruz Zaman Khan approving forced conversions of Nairs,

"Your two letters, with the enclosed memorandums of the Nâimâ (Nair) captives, have been received. You did right in causing a hundred and thirty-five of them to be circumcised, and in putting eleven of the youngest of these into the Usud Ilhye band, and the remaining ninety-four into the Ahmedy troops, consigning the whole, at the same time, to the charge of the Kiladar of Nugr (Bednore).

The same year he sent an order to the Faujdar of Calicut, Arshad Ali Baig regarding the treatement of a Gurukul teacher,

"Getting possession of the villain, Goorkul, and of his wife and children, you must forcibly make Mussalmans out of them, and then dispatch the whole under a guard to Seringapatam."

In 1788, Tipu issued a proclamation to the Nairs of kerala, wherein he outlined his new scheme of social reform,

"From the period of the conquest until this day, during twenty-four years, you have been a turbulent and refractory people, and in the wars waged during your rainy season, you have caused number of our warriors to taste the draught of martyrdom. Be it so. What is past is past. Hereafter you must proceed in an opposite manner, dwell quietly and pay your dues like good subjects and since it is the practice with you for one woman to associate with ten men, and you leave your mothers and sisters unconstrained in their obscene practices, and are thence all born in adultery, and are more shameless in your connections than the beasts of the fields : I hereby require you to forsake these sinful practices and be like the rest of mankind; and if you are disobedient to these commands, I have made repeated vows to honour the whole of you with Islam and to march all the chief persons to the seat of Government."

..........now the seculars post picturess saying Tipu sultan was reformed after drinking water from the well :lol:

Moroccoan cleric Ibn Battuta who travelled to kerala in 1335 has written about Kerala.

imagesCAOTIT3R.jpg

You might want to read his autobiography which is as good as the travels of marco polo.

Thank you.Now I remember I read it in my school days .But I forgot all details.
S K Pottekattu and Ibnu Bathutha was my favourite.

Ea
yeah..A lot of similarities..Actually North kasargod district is still predominantly tulu/Kannada area.Even in North Kerala Malayalam,especially in kasargod dialect ,there are lot of influences from Kannada/tulu...culture,cusines too...

Even if our official language is malayalam.Its vocabulary and pronounciation is very different in different regions.
Malayalam in Kottayam and Onattukara area is pure printed type.

@scorpionx @JoeShearer your contribution would be helpful.

Even if our official language is malayalam.Its vocabulary and pronounciation is very different in different regions.

@scorpionx @JoeShrearer your contribution would be helpful.
Sreekumar, what is the topic precisely? Sorry,but I have not understood the purpose.

It cold be Cheral it could be Chera, there is a place called cherthala in kerala. Chera-thala would literally mean land of the Chera.

We know the word chera from sangam literature, hence we assume its tamil.

In any case Sanskrit/Prakrit derived Buddhist Pali Language and the Jain Kalpasutra were known to Keralites from 500 BC onwards. There was a separate center for learning in kerala.

In any case the split is observed from 600 AD onwards so its too far back in history.
yo..The word Cherthala has nothing to do with cheras..
fyi.-cherthala is my native place...

Sreekumar, what is the topic precisely? Sorry,but I have not understood the purpose.

History abour our northern region.I want to know more about Malabar.Lot of info I heard about malabar was either contradictory or wrong .I dont know much about Muziris and stuff like that.Our Govt syllabus dont gave much info about it .

yo..The word Cherthala has nothing to do with cheras..
fyi.-cherthala is my native place...

We do not know that. All sources of the name is speculation. My paternal family is from Cherthala too. My paternal tharavadu peru is Ayyanatuu. Older members of your family might know about it.

Ea

@scorpionx @JoeShearer your contribution would be helpful.
yeah..for eg-in lakshadweep Malayalam slang the word 'paar' means look/see just like in Tamil..
In kasargod Malayalam the word jaaga means land just like in Kannada..

We do not know that. All sources of the name is speculation. My paternal family is from Cherthala too. My paternal tharavadu peru is Ayyanatuu. Older members of your family might know about it.
nope..
Actually the older name of Cherthala is karappuram...

Back
Top Bottom