What's new

Highlighting injustice against the Dalits in India

Actually the government might give certain privileges to dalits but these things will happen due to caste dogma as it has not changed the attitude of local Janta(especially in rural areas) towards dalits. Dalits are often segregated and banned to take part in social life of Hindus. Dalits are given menial jobs such as cleaning out sewers, collecting waste and trash. They are not allowed to live in better conditions than rural or shanty towns and are deprived of education, medical care and other basic rights including the ability to marry outside their caste. There were cases where dalits women got raped by their landlords. It is sad this happen in a country where even rats are considered as sacred :no:

wass wrong with rats being sacred? anything can be. don't fuget its paganism in india so its something above ur understanding.

but yes, situation in rural india is real bad. can't disagree here.

wass wrong with rats being sacred? anything can be. don't fuget its paganism in india so its something above ur understanding.

but yes, situation in rural india is real bad. can't disagree here.

Nothing wrong there and don't have any doubt about my understanding as i know why rats, elephants, monkeys etc are sacred in Hinduism. I was just trying to make point that rats get more respect than dalits :)

Nothing wrong there and don't have any doubt about my understanding as i know why rats, elephants, monkeys etc are sacred in Hinduism. I was just trying to make point that rats get more respect than dalits :)

well your last statement sounds too extreme. :)

itna bhi bura haal nahin hai yaar.

by da way, nice and smart signature. :cheers:

What do you know ground facts??

Ground fact is Dalits have highest amount reservation in all govt owned institutions in the country.

For Dalits, their tuition fees are less , cut off required to enter in govt colleges is less, their promotions compared to general quota are faster.

Dalits are found at highest levels in Indian govt ..former India presidents K. R. Narayanan was a dalit..current UP chief minster is a Dalit...this country's bureaucracy is teeming with Dalits.

All these very clearly reflect discrimination against them.

Actually the government might give certain privileges to dalits but these things will happen due to caste dogma as it has not changed the attitude of local Janta(especially in rural areas) towards dalits. Dalits are often segregated and banned to take part in social life of Hindus. Dalits are given menial jobs such as cleaning out sewers, collecting waste and trash. They are not allowed to live in better conditions than rural or shanty towns and are deprived of education, medical care and other basic rights including the ability to marry outside their caste. There were cases where dalits women got raped by their landlords. It is sad this happen in a country where even rats are considered as sacred :no:

Forget about discrimination ..under IPC ..it is a punishable offence to call a Dalit an untouchable.
They are given every possible protection and privileged under Indian constitution.

About rat's sacred part ..well it is just people beliefs for example in your country people are "wajibul Katal" if they speak ill of some one who has been dead for thousands of years..I mean how fair is that?

for example in your country people are "wajibul Katal" if they speak ill of some one who has been dead for thousands of years..I mean how fair is that?

can you give me name of any one who got killed ?

secondly how you link bashing a prophet with discussion about dalits :no:

i hope there will be a bashing section here someday and topics like this should be sticky so pakistanis dont have to open new ones daily,poor obsessed pakistanis

can you give me name of any one who got killed ?

I can give you plenty of names ..though they were killed by people even before they could reach the gallows...not to mention even your constitution says the same.
secondly how you link bashing a prophet with discussion about dalits :no:

It was an example of people's beliefs ..just like how you explained that in India " how rats are sacred and dalits are not"

I can give you plenty of names ..though they were killed by people even before they could reach the gallows...not to mention even your constitution says the same.

It was an example of people's beliefs ..just like how you explained that in India " how rats are sacred and dalits are not"

Did i said that its wrong to consider rats as sacred ? :no: I was just saying that when rats could get respect of indians why not dalits which are human beings. Do i insult your religion if i speak for welfare of dalits in India ?

yes sure give me names of persons who got official punishment of death in Pakistan. Why you guys always feel insecure and cannot discuss issues without bringing irrelevant counter arguments. How you justify treatment of dalits by brining blasphemy laws in Pakistan ?

Did i said that its wrong to consider rats as sacred ? :no: I was just saying that when rats could get respect of indians why not dalits which are human beings. Do i insult your religion if i speak for welfare of dalits in India ?

yes sure give me names of persons who got official punishment of death in Pakistan. Why you guys always feel insecure and cannot discuss issues without bringing irrelevant counter arguments. How you justify treatment of dalits by brining blasphemy laws in Pakistan ?

Where did I say ..you said something wrong?
I just explained to you how people's belief work ..something are considered sacred ..somethings are considered not..even though completely illogical....as I am sure happens in your country too.. that is why it is called "faith."

Murder of Dalit leader: stones pelted at buses

Stray incidents of stone pelting on buses were reported in different places in the district in the late hours on Tuesday after news of the murder of Dalit outfit leader C. Pasupathi Pandian in Dindigul broke out.

Police sources said unidentified persons pelted stones at a government bus at Kolakudi damaging the front glass pane.

Stones were also pelted at a couple of private buses at Thachankurichi near Somarasampet and Kottapalayam. The unknown persons fled the spot after hurling stones. A group of persons was arrested in the city after they attempted to indulge in picketing agitation near the Combined Court complex condemning the murder of Pasupathi Pandian, who was the founder leader of Devendra Kula Velalar Kootamaippu.

Those arrested were later released.

The Hindu : Cities / Tiruchirapalli : Murder of Dalit leader: stones pelted at buses

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Satara: Dalit woman stripped, beaten

Exactly a month ago, her son left their village home saying he had found a job in Pune. After that she never heard from him. The only thing this 45-year-old Dalit woman heard was taunts and blame from villagers who said her son had eloped with a girl from an upper caste family in the village.

Things went out of hand on Monday, when she was tied to a tree, stripped and beaten up by fellow villagers in Moolgaon village in Patan taluka of Satara — Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan’s home district.

Lying listlessly in Ward No 9 of Krishna Medical hospital in Karad, the woman broke down at the mention of her only son. “Why did I have to see this day?’’ she said on Thursday, surrounded by Dalit Mahasangh activists who have taken up her cause.

For the three days that she has been in the hospital, she has not had a single visitor from her village. She recalled how the neighbours would blame her and threaten her for what her son did. She said on Monday the threats turned real when the girl’s family and other villagers hit her and dragged her across the village. This followed a spat near the village well with the girl’s parents.

“For three hours I was beaten up till one of them said that if they did not stop I would die. I had to drag myself to a rickshaw after I was freed to approach the local police station,” she said.

Five persons from the village were arrested in this connection. On Thursday, a court sent them to police custody for two more days. They have been booked under the Scheduled Castes and Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.

“I have been staying in the village for the last 22 years after my marriage. I lost my husband very early in life and I have been doing all odd jobs to raise my two children. My daughter is married and settled and my son, who has studied till Class X, has been trained in driving. I run a small grocery shop from my own house,” she said.

“On December 12, my son left the house saying that he had a job in Pune. I even packed his tiffin. Since then, I have not heard from him,” she said.

She said she did not know anything about her son eloping or his reported affair with the upper caste girl.

Although there were allegations that the Patan police station was initially hesitant about registering her complaint, Superintendent of Police K M M Prasanna told The Indian Express that the police extended full cooperation. “She is admitted to the hospital and we are ensuring that there is peace in the village,” he said.

The villagers are tightlipped about the entire incident.

Despite everything, the woman said after discharge from hospital she wanted to go back to her own village. “I will not be treated well, but I can’t live in fear elsewhere. I would rather die in this village itself,” she said.

Satara: Dalit woman stripped, beaten - Indian Express

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

Inheriting injustice: A chilling film on India's Dalits

"Every day two Dalits are raped and three killed," goes a shocking statistic in well-known filmmaker Anand Patwardhan's latest documentary, " Jai Bhim, Comrade".

It begins with such murderous day, July 11, 1997, when 10 Dalits gathered to protest the desecration of an Ambedkar statue were shot dead by Mumbai Police. Six days after this massacre, unable to take the pain and grief of his people and as a mark of protest, Dalit singer, poet and activist Vilas Ghogre committed suicide.

"Jai Bhim..." then traces the legacy of the unique democratic protest style of the Dalits through their stirring poetry and music and the story of Ghogre and other singers and poets.

What emerges are tales of injustice and atrocities in the world's largest democracy that will wrench your gut. Its riveting parallels span not just Maharashtra (where the film is situated) but the world.

A Dalit leader in the film is heard saying, "We have a singer, a poet in every home." It is here that you realise the similarity between the fight for justice of the mostly lowly and oppressed of Indian people with that of Afro-Americans. Both share a strong tradition of music and poetry that provides them relief, strength and prepares them to fight against injustice.

This is the reason why the state of Maharashtra blacklisted one of the strongest Dalit music groups (prominently featured in the film), the Kabir Kala Manch (KKM), by calling them Maoists.

Patwardhan has a keen sense of social satire. He rips apart the notion that equal justice prevails for everyone in India. When you see political leaders of national stature speaking of wiping out entire castes and religions, which in a true democracy would have landed them in jail, you realise how truth can sneak out from rhetoric and rewriting of histories, and punch you in the gut.

Documentaries thus serve as a public justice system. The powerful may not be punished for their murders, but those who see the film can see their true face, and remember.

'Jai Bhim...' also abounds in irony of how a constitution drafted by a 'dalit', Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, continues to fail his own community. It balances the grand sweep of dalit injustice with individual stories. Thus on one side you see a Dalit working in a garbage heap without the basic protection, cleaning Mumbai's *****, you also see middle-class Mumbai talk about 'how dirty and ****** these people are.'

The film's objectivity is laid bare because it spares no one. Speaking to IANS, Patwardhan said, "The film is critical of everything, even the Dalit movement, except its youth who have been forced to go underground."

In a fitting screening, which Anand calls its 'real' premiere (previously screened in a few film festivals), over 800 people in BIT chawl in Byculla, where a part of the film was shot, sat mesmerised Monday, without a break for its 200-minute duration.

In an ideal world, cries against Dalit injustice would have sprung all over. Since we don't live on a just planet, "Jai Bhim, Comrade" will retain relevance so long as caste-based atrocities are not uprooted.

Inheriting injustice: A chilling film on India's Dalits - Times Of India

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

^ With all these atrocities committed against these poor dalits, they deserve their own separate country.

I don't have idea about this much, how do you identify high/low caste Indian on the road? (may be off topic)

Back
Top Bottom