What's new

California passes bill banning caste-based discrimination

Maira La

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Dalit rights groups hail the vote as a landmark victory in their bid to stop casteism from taking root in the US.

Los Angeles, California – The California state legislature has become the first in the United States to pass a bill banning discrimination based on caste, a centuries-old system of social stratification with roots in South Asia.

On Tuesday, the State Senate passed SB 403 by a margin of 31-5, adding caste as a form of ancestry protected under state civil rights law, as well as education and housing codes.

Read more...

Yet most of the job interviews will happen through referrals and personal recommendations. These laws doesn’t mean jack shyte in tech communities.

1694068330009.png

:lol:

@nahtanbob you want to enlighten this retard about tech job hiring scenario?

I have worked as a hiring manager/recruiter for a few years. I see no impact on hiring for individual contributor roles

If you are talented you find a job. Maybe not the job you desire. I do not know of an smart African American or Hispanic who has not found a job. I am not sure why lower caste Indians would be any different.

I feel there is sizeable minority among Indians in the technology sector who are less qualified and using their social connections with the smart ones to find jobs. My take is that social connections are more based on linguistic groups rather than caste. It is also true for White Americans. Maybe Chinese Americans to a lesser degree.

Depending on the wording of the law where it could make a difference is in promotions. I feel promotions are somewhat arbitrary.

This will not be considered as an attack on religion and no suicide bomb blasts will take place in California. So this is good really.

"Itsh okey saaar, yu kan shov the ten ft pole up mai dirty anoos, i will no complen saaar, ektually i shud be sorry yu hav to do dis saaar" :lol:

I am not sure why lower caste Indians would be any different.

Of course you will say that being a Hindu yourself.

:lol: What are they gonna do, it's not like you can identify the caste of someone unless they mention it. What is the caste of someone named Anand Kumar?

"Itsh okey saaar, yu kan shov the ten ft pole up mai dirty anoos, i will no complen saaar, ektually i shud be sorry yu hav to do dis saaar" :lol:

Of course you will say that being a Hindu yourself.

Read the article -- female Indian engineers. Good number of less qualified Indian engineers happen to be women. I presume they belong to all castes
I have worked as a hiring manager/recruiter for a few years. I see no impact on hiring for individual contributor roles

If you are talented you find a job. Maybe not the job you desire. I do not know of an smart African American or Hispanic who has not found a job. I am not sure why lower caste Indians would be any different.

I feel there is sizeable minority among Indians in the technology sector who are less qualified and using their social connections with the smart ones to find jobs. My take is that social connections are more based on linguistic groups rather than caste. It is also true for White Americans. Maybe Chinese Americans to a lesser degree.

Depending on the wording of the law where it could make a difference is in promotions. I feel promotions are somewhat arbitrary.

Read the article -- female Indian engineers. Good number of less qualified Indian engineers happen to be women. I presume they belong to all castes

Misogynist nonsense. One of my colleague was a female IIT graduate. Another was an Arab female engineer. Female engineers are in no way less capable than male engineers. You are not an engineer so you have no idea what you're talking about.

The engineers, regardless of sex, complaining of caste based discrimination are ALL Dalits.

Yet most of the job interviews will happen through referrals and personal recommendations. These laws doesn’t mean jack shyte in tech communities.
These disgusting practices still go on but why is wife burning banned?

5000 years old way of life followers would have no major issue with this since it is being done by white skinned masters

They also had no issues when white skinned masters banned widow barbecue in Indian subcontinent in 19th century

White skin masters can change 5000 years old way of life

However brown skinned Muslims of India would need to be careful about the meat in their refrigerator even if it is mutton and not of some moron's so called mother

Don't know why Hindus are being defensive. India (actually Bharat) ranks as the most racist country in the world. This racism is based on a supremacist religious and caste based ideology which normalizes discrimination as well as violence against certain groups. It plays out in society and politics. Immigrants bring those attitudes to America. However, by second generation it is mostly gone.

Don't know why Hindus are being defensive. India (actually Bharat) ranks as the most racist country in the world. It is based on a supremacist religious and caste based ideology which normalizes discrimination and violence. It plays out in society and politics. Immigrants bring those attitudes to America. However, by second generation it it is mostly gone.

Nothing so engrained in the psyche gets diluted so easily. Canada, Australia, UK and now America faces a social problem imported from Bharat, Hindustan and India.

Nothing so engrained in the psyche gets diluted so easily. Canada, Australia, UK and now America faces a social problem imported from Bharat, Hindustan and India.
There is big difference between first and second generation. However, for you, Indian is problematic [another form of racism], which is why nobody takes Pakistan seriously.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom