What's new

High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes

Are pakistani dramas famous in bd?
Yes they are. Especially among middle and upper middle class households here. Although the cable operators have been working on a ban - the interested parties can usually stream these dramas through their smart TV's (Internet connection and YouTube) which are widely available locally.

Pakistani drama production values are far better than Indian low-class, formulaic, over-dramatized, Saas-Bahu garbage. The plot, story lines and technical quality are definitely a cut above Indian programming and suits our tastes far better. They are actually the same type of tele-dramas and serials that we have here air-ing on the local TV channels but in Urdu. Most Bangladeshis don't have issues understanding Hindi/Urdu.

I remember there was a nice drama a year ago about some rich kid that fell in love with a girl from a poor family with an older dad with failing health. Eventually the rich kid got temporarily disowned by the dad because of this and ended up working in a train station as a coolie (porter). Can't remember the name.

It is regrettably true that SHW's government and her RAW-sponsored cohorts are trying to turn the tide of our Islamic culture by banning Pakistani channels but this is a stupid smokescreen. Indians are trying to sell us their garbage products through their ad-bearing channels here. Pakistanis have no such intention.

And the root of our culture is Islamic. They can try RAW propaganda for thousands of years but can't turn us into Hindoos. No offense....
but some success is there. i'm more worried about foreign Hindu (Rabindric) culture injected through Bangladeshi programming than through Indian programming. Indian Bengali programming is also worrisome. although no one in my generation subscribes to Bangladeshi programs, older people maybe a vehicle.

p.s. zindagi gulzar hai over kahani ghar ghar ka any day
Not as much as India's but there is a following.

I don't understand how these dramas turn us into Hindus. I've never seen a Pakistani or Indian drama in my life. Do they have some sort of religious tone and symbolism to them?
Also, any recommendations for good Pakistani dramas? I mostly watch Korean ones.
Lol Korean

but some success is there. i'm more worried about foreign Hindu (Rabindric) culture injected through Bangladeshi programming than through Indian programming. Indian Bengali programming is also worrisome. although no one in my generation subscribes to Bangladeshi programs, older people maybe a vehicle.

p.s. zindagi gulzar hai over kahani ghar ghar ka any day

Lol Korean

Older people will pass away in a few years - its the Young and Restless ;-) I'm worried about.

It has been India's (RAW) long term plan to foster and infuse Rabindric culture (India-friendly culture) in Bangladesh through sponsoring 'cultural exchanges' for music and dance (scholarships for Vishwa Bharati University and Santi Niketan).

The headquarters for such efforts is of course the Khaddi-Punjabi-wearing Puthi-toting crowd at Bangla Akademi and the Drama group promoters from Mohila Shomity Stage area at New Bailey Road in Dhaka - some of whom also control the media industry in Bangladesh. Names associated with BITOPI advertising - the premier media company in this country (such as Aly Zaker, Sara Zaker) are associated with left-leaning India-leaning collaborators and some are even MP's (Asaduzzaman Noor) in current administration, although I would say Asad is not as bad as some other 'supposedly Muslim' India-collaborators. These people are well-marked in Bangladesh.

These people are unfortunately more Hindu in culture than the Hindus themselves (kind of an eyesore) and like to go and hang out in Calcutta at least three/four times a year. Most of them have been instrumental in promoting Indian media and Indian brands in Bangladesh over the years. BITOPI has promoted low-quality Indian FMCG goods like Horlicks, BOOST, Cadbury's etc. to the detriment of the health of Bangladeshi children and parents' pocketbooks.

Although these people's activities are thankfully avoidable/invisible most of the year - they come out en masse during Pehla Baisakh celebrations near Shahbagh, lately under the current administration they have become very bold and open about their India-leaning mentality. Although I am tolerant person - the promotion of the following culture seemed essentially alien to us. Even in Calcutta they don't bounce around so much with 'Lakhshmi Owl Hindu Symbols'.

Poyla-Boishakh22.jpg

Then you have the crass stupidity of the mass 'Bot-tola' 'Devi Avahonee' Bengali Pooja 'music'.

Boishakh.jpg

And lets not forget more 'Protima' related stuff,

1403137e.jpg

This is not our culture and it has been essentially hijacked. Now if people are too bored they essentially participate in these things for 'fun' but this is still part of Indian 'soft-cultural aggression' to make Bangladeshis 'India-friendly'.

I have said many times that I am a person with a more secular outlook. But being secular does not mean one should be anti-Islamic or even anti-'any religion' (especially one's own). It is amusing at best and shameful at its worst.

I don't like the fact that some people in this country (supposedly Muslim and a hypocrite in that sense) laughably cow-tow to a non-majority religion (Hinduism) to the detriment of Islam (which is our majority religion in this country). Writing Bengali Poetry is fine but at least respect the religion you were born with and not bad-mouth it.

Last edited:
Older people will pass away in a few years - its the Young and Restless ;-) I'm worried about.

It has been India's (RAW) long term plan to foster and infuse Rabindric culture (India-friendly culture) in Bangladesh through sponsoring 'cultural exchanges' for music and dance (scholarships for Vishwa Bharati University and Santi Niketan).

The headquarters for such efforts is of course the Khaddi-Punjabi-wearing Puthi-toting crowd at Bangla Akademi and the Drama group promoters from Mohila Shomity Stage area at New Bailey Road in Dhaka - some of whom also control the media industry in Bangladesh. Names associated with BITOPI advertising - the premier media company in this country (such as Aly Zaker, Sara Zaker) are associated with left-leaning India-leaning collaborators and some are even MP's (Asaduzzaman Noor) in current administration, although I would say Asad is not as bad as some other 'supposedly Muslim' India-collaborators. These people are well-marked in Bangladesh.

These people are unfortunately more Hindu in culture than the Hindus themselves (kind of an eyesore) and like to go and hang out in Calcutta at least three/four times a year. Most of them have been instrumental in promoting Indian media and Indian brands in Bangladesh over the years. BITOPI has promoted low-quality Indian FMCG goods like Horlicks, BOOST, Cadbury's etc. to the detriment of the health of Bangladeshi children and parents' pocketbooks.

Although these people's activities are thankfully avoidable/invisible most of the year - they come out en masse during Pehla Baisakh celebrations near Shahbagh, lately under the current administration they have become very bold and open about their India-leaning mentality. Although I am tolerant person - the promotion of the following culture seemed essentially alien to us. Even in Calcutta they don't bounce around so much with 'Lakhshmi Owl Hindu Symbols'.

Poyla-Boishakh22.jpg

Then you have the crass stupidity of the mass 'Bot-tola' 'Devi Avahonee' Bengali Pooja 'music'.

Boishakh.jpg

1403137e.jpg

This is not our culture and it has been essentially hijacked. Now if people are too bored they essentially participate in these things for 'fun' but this is still part of Indian 'soft-cultural aggression' to make Bangladeshis 'India-friendly'.

I have said many times that I am a person with a more secular outlook. But being secular does not mean one should be anti-Islamic or even anti-'any religion' (especially one's own). It is amusing at best and shameful at its worst.

I don't like the fact that some people in this country (supposedly Muslim and a hypocrite in that sense) laughably cow-tow to a non-majority religion (Hinduism) to the detriment of Islam (which is our majority religion in this country). Writing Bengali Poetry is fine but at least respect the religion you were born with and not bad-mouth it.
spot on! i also like to think of myself as having secular outlook. because of that, i would like to see proper representation of Muslims' heritage. I would like to see less of exclusively Hindu culture being touted as secular i.e. as being 'Muslim' as well. i see Hindus as my brethren who should hold on to and promote their culture.

i believe what we both are talking about here has more to do with culture than faith. a person can change his/her faith. but they cannot change the heritage.

these Pehla Baisakh pics with all those "Shantiniketan" and "Charukala" types are just gross. this however as a festival celebrated only by Hindus would have been perfectly fitting.

and you are right the only people who are serious about this stuff are a handful few, the Asaduzzaman Noor, Ali Zakir, and Sultana Kabir types. i'm amazed that so many people are complete sheeple but are indifferent either way.

spot on! i also like to think of myself as having secular outlook. because of that, i would like to see proper representation of Muslims' heritage. I would like to see less of exclusively Hindu culture being touted as secular i.e. as being 'Muslim' as well. i see Hindus as my brethren who should hold on to and promote their culture.

i believe what we both are talking about here has more to do with culture than faith. a person can change his/her faith. but they cannot change the heritage.

these Pehla Baisakh pics with all those "Shantiniketan" and "Charukala" types are just gross. this however as a festival celebrated only by Hindus would have been perfectly fitting.

and you are right the only people who are serious about this stuff are a handful few, the Asaduzzaman Noor, Ali Zakir, and Sultana Kabir types. i'm amazed that so many people are complete sheeple but are indifferent either way.

^^ You probably mean Sultana Kamal of 'Ain-o-Salish Kendra' fame. She is another of those hypocrites - with professed pseudo-secular views but clear Hindutva/anti-Islamic leanings.

I bet none of these people (the Zakers & Sultana) never even prayed to Allah once in their lives (however I actually don't know this). Instead of misleading people they should be honest and change their names to suit the religion they actually support.

I have said many times that I am a person with a more secular outlook.
i also like to think of myself as having secular outlook.

Two Bangladeshis are boasting about their "Secular credentials" without understanding the meaning of it! :(

A truly secular person won't have any issue with what song someone is singing or how someone is celebrating the new year, as long as it don't directly prevent others from practicing their religion.

^^ You probably mean Sultana Kamal of 'Ain-o-Salish Kendra' fame. She is another of those hypocrites - with professed pseudo-secular views but clear Hindutva/anti-Islamic leanings.

I bet none of these people (the Zakers & Sultana) never even prayed to Allah once in their lives (however I actually don't know this). Instead of misleading people they should be honest and change their names to suit the religion they actually support.
my bad. i meant Sultana Kamal

Two Bangladeshis are boasting about their "Secular credentials" without understanding the meaning of it! :(

A truly secular person won't have any issue with what song someone is singing or how someone is celebrating the new year, as long as it don't directly prevent others from practicing their religion.

You don't get it.

These people (tons of supposedly 'liberal' people - I call them Anti-Muslim with pseudo-Muslim names) have and are still routinely expressing public opinion bad-mouthing Islamic lifestyles and practices -with no deference to the religious sensitivities of devout Muslim populace in this country. The fact that they are routinely getting away with it denotes how liberal our country is and how secular and non-communal our values are compared to India as far as public expression.

This could never even get close to happening in India. Like someone bad-mouthing Hinduism, Hindu practices and getting away with it. Simple observances of Muslim religious practice are banned that clash with Hinduism (beef consumption, cow slaughter).

Isn't that in your words - 'directly prevent(ing) others from practicing their religion'?

Try that in Mumbai's RSS-Shivsena controlled areas sometime....

In any case we are veering off into off-topic subjects....

You don't get it.

These people (tons of supposedly 'liberal' people - I call them Anti-Muslim with pseudo-Muslim names) have and are still routinely expressing public opinion bad-mouthing Islamic lifestyles and practices -with no deference to the religious sensitivities of devout Muslim populace in this country. The fact that they are routinely getting away with it denotes how liberal our country is and how secular and non-communal our values are compared to India as far as public expression.

This could never even get close to happening in India. Like someone bad-mouthing Hinduism, Hindu practices and getting away with it. Simple observances of Muslim religious practice are banned that clash with Hinduism (beef consumption, cow slaughter).

Isn't that in your words - 'directly prevent(ing) others from practicing their religion'?

Try that in Mumbai's RSS-Shivsena controlled areas sometime....

In any case we are veering off into off-topic subjects....

I don't know about what they commented, so I can't comment on it. But secularism means tollerance towards atheism also.

Besides, singing Rabindrasangeet or celebrating poila boishakh they way they do is their business as long as they don't force you to do the same, or stop you from practicing your religion in your way.

And clearly you don't know anything about India. There are plenty of people including Hindus who are openly criticizing different aspects and practices of religion, primarily Hinduism. There are plenty of articles, books, films on it, you can even find youtube videos where Christian missionaries openly abusing Hinduism to recruit people in their religion, even that is mostly tolerated by a nation which has 80% Hindu population.
For now, you can check two recent films, Oh my god and PK.

I don't know about what they commented, so I can't comment on it. But secularism means tollerance towards atheism also.

Besides, singing Rabindrasangeet or celebrating poila boishakh they way they do is their business as long as they don't force you to do the same, or stop you from practicing your religion in your way.

And clearly you don't know anything about India. There are plenty of people including Hindus who are openly criticizing different aspects and practices of religion, primarily Hinduism. There are plenty of articles, books, films on it, you can even find youtube videos where Christian missionaries openly abusing Hinduism to recruit people in their religion, even that is mostly tolerated by a nation which has 80% Hindu population.
For now, you can check two recent films, Oh my god and PK.

I will check out those movies.

But you carefully avoided cow-slaughter issue. India is the only country which places religious-based restrictions on people's food habits in a country of a billion people - by banning cow slaughter.

I know for a fact that bacon and ham consumption is haram (forbidden) for all Muslims in Bangladesh. however it is widely available for non-Muslims in markets in Dhaka. Heck - even dog meat is available for a price I heard. :laugh:

Alcohol consumption is also haram - but people are doing it widely (but in a discreet manner).

Bangladesh has its own brands of beer, whiskey, gin and other alcoholic beverages.

We don't have nationwide bans on any of those things.

But your country does.

So when a pauper country (like yours) gets a few annas in the pocket - all of a sudden the pauper grows a spine and gets 'values' and 'principles'??

This is laughable, most outsiders will have to look at this with bemusement...

Last edited:

Poyla-Boishakh22.jpg

Boishakh.jpg

1403137e.jpg

This was all alien to me at a young age and for sure none of this shit goes on in Bangladesh except by a certain minority (in the capital, no-brainer). The minorities can celebrate and practice freely as it is their culture and faith. However I have always had a different outlook on the Bangladeshi culture and could differentiate with Indian culture especially in the west...

Back
Top Bottom