What's new

High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes

I don't see Hindi-speakers from Delhi lining up to learn Bangla en-masse. Rather it is Bengalis from WB trying to speak Hindi in funny accents and being the butt of jokes because of financial and career gain. So this really does not speak of an equal cultural exchange in India.
Nobody is lining up to learn anybody's language! Bengalis speak Bengali in Bengali speaking areas and other languages like English and Hindi in other areas, and same goes for the people of other states. Kolkata is a truly cosmopolitan city with a large number of people from other states settled here, you should see how well they speak Bengali, and most with proper Bengali accent!

Who cares for this Poradhin Bengali.
Being a Shadhin Bangali, Do we have to care any loser Poradhin's point?
LoL.
Bangladeshis are not swadhin Bengali, they are exiled Indians. :)

Nobody is lining up to learn anybody's language! Bengalis speak Bengali in Bengali speaking areas and other languages like English and Hindi in other areas, and same goes for the people of other states. Kolkata is a truly cosmopolitan city with a large number of people from other states settled here, you should see how well they speak Bengali, and most with proper Bengali accent!

I've realised that it is futile to discuss (or 'enlighten', as I call it) these bongolodeshi nobodys. Seriously.
All they do is try and make themselves feel better about the sinking boat they live in/come from, having absolutely no clue about the unity in diversity that we treasure, the pride that people have about where in the country they come from, their language, culture, cuisine etc. They think that having a separate nation with a largely Bengali ethnicity, gives them automatic bragging rights for everything that they (unfortunately) think Bengal stands for; it all stems from an inferiority complex, if you ask me.

That was undivided India under British rule, the undivided India was there under different rulers for thousands of years. Would you call Bangladesh under Awami League rule and Bangladesh under BNP rule are two different countries?

That is Indian subcontinent. You are just making up things based on Indian present map. We are world citizens and its ruled by different people.

And the people who are being claimed as Bangladeshis by the Bangladeshis preferred to remain Indians and rejected Bangladeshi identity, many of them were even forced out of Bangladesh, and now Bangladesh cannot claim their legacy.

They were Bangladeshi from heart. But some had no other option other than choosing India or Pakistan. Because revolution for Bangladesh wasn't getting momentum. Still you are a Bangladeshi in a subconscious mind.

The confusion is because the country Bangladesh was created by dividing a nation on the basis of religion, otherwise they share fairly similar culture, music, dance, literature, food habit, dress, family values, and everything else, even the language is a derivative of Indic language family. Hence, Bangladeshis barely have anything that is exclusive to them, and probably that is why the desperation to claim a part of Indian legacy as their own! :)

This is true. But we have a limit of our Bangladesh with which we can relate ourselves to India. We dont just want to be part of another culture of India. We see India as our rival.

Religion is not a sufficient reason for creating a separate country, and Bangladesh doesn't have enough differences in other parameters to have a separate country. But now Bangladeshis have one, and they are desperate to find out or create differences to justify to themselves their existence as a separate country, hence all such dramas like banning Bollywood and West Bengali music. :)

Bangladesh was created from Pakistan not based on religion. Which was in sub conscious mind of people. Mistakes are made in the past. Assume that you had opted for greater Bengal. We didnt have to go with Pakistan. Today Subhas Chandra Bose and Surya Sen could be great inspiration for the world. But little known because of neglecting by India. Even Satyajit Roy dreamt for a BD.

And that's the confusion here, those personalities that Bangladeshi members claiming as Bangladeshis are actually born as Indian, Bengali is just their regional identity, their nationality was always Indian. Masterda Surya Sen was born as an Indian Bengali, who fought for the freedom of India and sacrificed his life, and now Bangladeshis are claiming that he was not an Indian but a Bangladeshi, isn't this an injustice to his deceased soul? Same applies to all who were born as Indian and remained Indian even after the partition of India.

They were Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani same time. Bangladesh = Pakistan = India = British India. So they worked in our country British India as our fellow countrymen. Tagore, Jinnah, Gandhi, Bhutto all are Bangladeshi. We just didnt honor our countrymen properly but they are not less Bangladeshi.

Bangladeshis are not swadhin Bengali, they are exiled Indians. :)

There are many India.
Republic of India
Bangladesh
Pakistan
We are not interested in ROI. We are good with our India which is Bangladesh.

That is Indian subcontinent. You are just making up things based on Indian present map. We are world citizens and its ruled by different people.

They were Bangladeshi from heart. But some had no other option other than choosing India or Pakistan. Because revolution for Bangladesh wasn't getting momentum. Still you are a Bangladeshi in a subconscious mind.

This is true. But we have a limit of our Bangladesh with which we can relate ourselves to India. We dont just want to be part of another culture of India. We see India as our rival.

Bangladesh was created from Pakistan not based on religion. Which was in sub conscious mind of people. Mistakes are made in the past. Assume that you had opted for greater Bengal. We didnt have to go with Pakistan. Today Subhas Chandra Bose and Surya Sen could be great inspiration for the world. But little known because of neglecting by India. Even Satyajit Roy dreamt for a BD.

They were Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani same time. Bangladesh = Pakistan = India = British India. So they worked in our country British India as our fellow countrymen. Tagore, Jinnah, Gandhi, Bhutto all are Bangladeshi. We just didnt honor our countrymen properly but they are not less Bangladeshi.

There are many India.
Republic of India
Bangladesh
Pakistan

Yah Satyajit Roy's VDO like this at my favourite Gupi Gayn, Bagha Bayn movies this song or other song mentioned about a fantasy land called Bangladesh. Even i have seen many 60's,70,s movie mentioning bengali people are from a land called Bangladesh. I am happy that, we have fulfilled their dream some other where from them. We could make this land like Israel gives PR to all Jews, we could give all bengali speaking people as PR.

Agreeing with this post that Bangladesh was in 1971 with true spirit of Bengali nationalism. Which somehow had to adopted itself into reality like, muslim majority nation. As we get bulk amount of foreign currencies from middle east whether by NRB's or by donations.

And we are good with what we have achieved so far. Maybe we are too conservative of our culture, bit goes with inferiority complex which is till incapable of competing rich culture of India. With 22+ Tv channels, 15+ National FM Radios, 100+ national newspapers we can go beyond what we are now in present. But, until we are set for competing and capable of producing exciting cultural exchanges we will have to protect our culture. I am sure the Indians should respect this mindset.

----------

I should make apology to Rain Man for insulting comments like Shadhin/Poradhin. Just did as I cant shy away from myself being a proud independent shadhin nagorik, Cant resist myself to invite you to have a passport like Bongo, Bongodesh which will be truly your country.

----------

Got myself into bit defensive, as we the whole country isin shock and saddened for the VDO'ed child boy who was killed mercilessly. We will have to kill the animal which lives within.

India is still a subcontinent, it's just that some Indians created an artificial border within it and calling themselves Bangladeshis and Pakistanis! :)

They were Indian Bengalis in their conscious and subconscious minds, me too. Bangladeshis are also Indian Bengalis in their subconscious mind, they just deny it to justify the creation and existence of their country as East Pakistan and later Bangladesh, at least for the time being. But I am hopeful that someday they will finally realize that Bengalis are Indians and it's futile not to acknowledge it and live as a separate country! How long can they continue with a historical mistake? :)

That's because Bangladeshis themselves have created a new country within India and positioned it as a rival to their original country India. Reminds me of a brother leaving the joint family and joining hands with neighbours to take down his own family!

East Pakistan was created on the basis of religion, and that was the breaking of a nation. Creation of Bangladesh was an after-thought when East Pakistanis finally realized that religion as the foundation of a new nation was just not enough to ensure success. But they didn't rectify the mistake fully, but went on to create a new nation based partially on ethnicity and partially on religion. That resulted into a never ending tug of war between the 'secular liberal Bengali Bangladesh' and 'Islamic Bangladesh', which 'Islamic Bangladesh' seems to be winning.

And a 'secular liberal Bangladesh' without both 'Bengali' and 'Islamic' identity, which @Bilal9 says Bangladesh is, cannot happen. Because then it can't justify it's separation from India.

Very smart! :) But most Bangladeshis and Pakistanis would disagree.

There are many India.
Republic of India
Bangladesh
Pakistan

Again very smart! But why not Republic of India? Even after creation of Bangladesh and Pakistan there are sizeable number of Bengalis, Punjabis and Muslims living in India as Indians, and they are not doing any worst, if not better, than their Bangladeshi and Pakistani counterparts. So, why not Republic of India? :)

@PersonasNonGrata I think this thread justifies the creation of Sylhet as a new country! Is @iajdani a Sylheti too? :P

I should make apology to Rain Man for insulting comments like Shadhin/Poradhin. Just did as I cant shy away from myself being a proud independent shadhin nagorik, Cant resist myself to invite you to have a passport like Bongo, Bongodesh which will be truly your country.

Bhai we don't consider ourselves poradhin by any stretch of imagination, so it doesn't hurt us. But it was very nice of you to offer apology in an online forum. Thank you. :)

East Pakistan was created on the basis of religion, and that was the breaking of a nation. Creation of Bangladesh was an after-thought when East Pakistanis finally realized that religion as the foundation of a new nation was just not enough to ensure success. But they didn't rectify the mistake fully, but went on to create a new nation based partially on ethnicity and partially on religion. That resulted into a never ending tug of war between the 'secular liberal Bengali Bangladesh' and 'Islamic Bangladesh', which 'Islamic Bangladesh' seems to be winning.

And a 'secular liberal Bangladesh' without both 'Bengali' and 'Islamic' identity, which @Bilal9 says Bangladesh is, cannot happen. Because then it can't justify it's separation from India.

After West Bengalis decided to depart us and many Hindu Bengalis left our todays area, what we left is BD. So majority of the people have both Bengali and Islamic identity. Its apparent what we are. But we also proposed for a greater Bengal first where both Hindu and Muslims will stay equally which many prominent Hindu Bengalis supported. But couldnt happen because of strong opposition of Congress and Muslim league. Which all created the rift among us. But we made at last what we wished.

That resulted into a never ending tug of war between the 'secular liberal Bengali Bangladesh' and 'Islamic Bangladesh', which 'Islamic Bangladesh' seems to be winning.

There isnt war. We are human of this world. We will work for better human development. Which will link us to the world. Our majority Muslim link will help us to reach close to 56 other Muslim majority country. Our Bengali root is a regional identity. Which helps us to have good relations with our neighbors. There is a confusion that who talks in Bengali or ethnically close to majority Bangladeshis are Bengali. But actually non Bengali speakers and non ethnic Bengali can be a Bengali too. Who lives in Bengal is a Bengali.

So, why not Republic of India? :)

@PersonasNonGrata I think this thread justifies the creation of Sylhet as a new country! Is @iajdani a Sylheti too? :P

Yes, it justifies creation of new country if people are discriminated. But its Sylhetis who made BD. MAG Osmani a Sylheti was the chief of Mukti Bahini.

Just like Shubhash Bose and Surya Sen worked to get rid of British India.

We Bangladeshis deserve a separate country with traditional values of this land. This is strong urge. Bangladesh is as old as India is. And inclusion of BD to India which will be opposed by people of both countries after enmity of 100 years. And Im particularly not interested to create a bridge between religious fanatics on both sides. Best prize we have by dividing the country is dividing fanatics.

After West Bengalis decided to depart us and many Hindu Bengalis left our todays area, what we left is BD. So majority of the people have both Bengali and Islamic identity. Its apparent what we are. But we also proposed for a greater Bengal first where both Hindu and Muslims will stay equally which many prominent Hindu Bengalis supported. But couldnt happen because of strong opposition of Congress and Muslim league. Which all created the rift among us. But we made at last what we wished.

There isnt war. We are human of this world. We will work for better human development. Which will link us to the world. Our majority Muslim link will help us to reach close to 56 other Muslim majority country. Our Bengali root is a regional identity. Which helps us to have good relations with our neighbors. There is a confusion that who talks in Bengali or ethnically close to majority Bangladeshis are Bengali. But actually non Bengali speakers and non ethnic Bengali can be a Bengali too. Who lives in Bengal is a Bengali.

Yes, it justifies creation of new country if people are discriminated. But its Sylhetis who made BD. MAG Osmani a Sylheti was the chief of Mukti Bahini.

Just like Shubhash Bose and Surya Sen worked to get rid of British India.

We Bangladeshis deserve a separate country with traditional values of this land. This is strong urge. Bangladesh is as old as India is. And inclusion of BD to India which will be opposed by people of both countries after enmity of 100 years. And Im particularly not interested to create a bridge between religious fanatics on both sides. Best prize we have by dividing the country is dividing fanatics.

I need to engage Pakistanis now, there is too much action there, peace talks are about resume again, and Pakistani military has started shelling in response, see you soon after an imminent ban. :D Just wanted to mention a couple of things:

1. Those Hindu Bengalis had only two choices, either to leave East Pakistan/Bangladesh, or to leave this world. Those who could remain alive left East Pakistan/Bangladesh, naturally!

2. Subhash Bose and Surya Sen didn't work to get rid of British India, they worked to get rid of British in India!

:)

You're one to talk a population of 1 billion and counting but you struggled against Bangladesh, sorry LaLa land in a game of sticks and stones. A country that will always be compared to Pakistan on an international level. If anything India is a county filled with 'sperm waste'.

I like your optimism you know why cause on the contrary your country men are wasting sperm in kothas of Kolkata as a substance of non productivity.

I like your optimism you know why cause on the contrary your country men are wasting sperm in kothas of Kolkata as a substance of non productivity.

Aww, did I hurt your feelings?

1. Those Hindu Bengalis had only two choices, either to leave East Pakistan/Bangladesh, or to leave this world. Those who could remain alive left East Pakistan/Bangladesh, naturally!

Im sorry. But what happened were because of fault of two sides. And that time we had snakes between us whom were interested to divide us in exchange to have their own country and making us slaves using our strong position. We understood that in hard way in 1971. And they didnt leave us ever. So we cant take the full responsibility of those.

2. Subhash Bose and Surya Sen didn't work to get rid of British India, they worked to get rid of British in India!

I dont see any difference. They expunged Britain from India. Both of them were same country. And we expunged India and Pakistan from our land. Both were alienating us.

You should read this from a writer of Kolkata. Its India's policy now to not glorify revolution. Instead Gandhibad to cooperate with gov even its evil. If there wasnt any revolution there wouldnt be any India either.

অতীত তৈরির কারখানা
গর্গ চট্টোপাধ্যায়॥

যদি আপনি ভারতীয় সংঘরাষ্ট্রের মধ্যে বাংলার যে ভাগটা পড়েছে, সেখানে থাকেন, তাহলে খুবই স্বাভাবিক যেকোনও খবরের কাগজে ভারত সরকারের কোনও বিজ্ঞাপন আপনাকে মনে করিয়ে দেয়নি যে, ২২ মার্চ হলো মাস্টারদা সূর্য সেনের জন্মদিন। যারা সামান্যতম উছিলায়ও রাষ্ট্রের পিতা, মাতা, ভ্রাতা ও গৌরবগাথা নিয়ে পাতাজোড়া বিজ্ঞাপন দিতে ভোলে না, মাস্টারদাকে নিয়ে তাদের চুপ করে থাকার মানে আছে। সূর্য সেনের মতো চরিত্রের দিকে মানুষের মন ঘোরালে, মোহনদাসের পিতৃত্বে কংগ্রেসের ধাত্রীত্বে অহিংস পদ্ধতিতে স্বাধীনতা আনার বহুল-প্রচারিত গল্পটি নিয়ে সন্দেহ জাগতে পারে।

বিদেশি শাসনের বিরুদ্ধে সংগ্রামে এ ত্রিরঙ্গা ছাড়াও আরও অনেক রঙ ছিল– ৬০ বছর ধরে ঢপ দিয়ে একধরনের 'ভারতীয়ত্ব' পয়দা করার পরে, এখন আর সেটা হয় না। রিস্কি কাজ। ঢপ থেকে তৈরি হয় রূপকথা। রূপকথা বছরে বছরে বড় হয়।
যে সকল বাস্তব স্মৃতি সেই রূপকথাগুলোকে চ্যালেঞ্জ করতে পারত, তা ধীরে ধীরে আবছা হয়ে ওঠে। রাষ্ট্রের হাতে অঢেল সময়। রাষ্ট্র চিরন্তন। এমন এক রাষ্ট্র যা নিজেদের খাকি-উর্দিপরা, নিজেদের রাষ্ট্র-আদর্শে দীক্ষিত ও নিজেদের মাইনে-করা লোকজন দ্বারা বলপ্রয়োগ ছাড়া আর সকল বলপ্রয়োগকে দুষ্ট, খারাপ ও অশুভ বলে প্রচার করে সারাক্ষণ, তার পক্ষে ঔপনিবেশিক শাসনের বিরুদ্ধে সংগ্রামের মঙ্গলময় প্রকল্পে সহিংস সকল শক্তির ভূমিকাকে অগ্রাহ্য বা গৌণ করে দেখানো ছাড়া গতি নেই। কারণ সে যত না ভয় পায় সূর্য সেন-কে, তার চেয়ে সে বেশি ভয় পায় সূর্য সেনের আদর্শ ও সংগ্রাম-পদ্ধতির উত্তরাধিকারীদের। তাই সূর্য সেনের চেয়ে নেহেরুর জন্মদিনই ভালো। কোনও রিস্ক নেই। স্রেফ 'মেরা ভারত মহান'। শ্রোতারা স্লোগানের ভাষাটি নোট করবেন। ওটা হিন্দি। কোনও কিছুই আকস্মিক নয়।
এই উপমহাদেশের সকল জিনিসের উত্তরাধিকারী হিসেবে ভারতীয় সংঘরাষ্ট্র নিজেকে প্রচার করে। এই প্রচারে তারা বেশ সফল। এই সাফল্যের বড় কারণ হলো, ৪৭-এ পাকিস্তান তৈরির পেছনে বিভেদকামী ধর্ম-ভিত্তিক জাতীয়তাবাদের অনস্বীকার্য ভূমিকা (যদিও পাকিস্তান দাবির পেছনে নানা স্রোত ছিল, তৃণমূল স্তরে এটিই ছিল সবচেয়ে বলিষ্ঠ)। মরা মানুষকে নিজের লোক বলে দাবি করার একটা সুবিধা হলো যে, তারা এই মরণোত্তর সংহতি ও সখ্যকে অস্বীকার করার অবস্থায় নেই। তাই এই উপমহাদেশ জুড়ে যা যা হয়েছে, হরপ্পা থেকে চিটাগাং, সকল কিছুকে একটু মুচড়ে ভারতীয় সংঘ-রাষ্ট্রের মধ্যে ঠেসে দেওয়ার একটা প্রকল্প চলেছে সেই ৪৭ থেকে। মজার কথা হলো, সেই মাটিগুলো কিন্তু ভারতের অধীন নয় এবং ভারত সেই মাটির আজকের রূপকে শত্রু-মাটি রূপে জ্ঞান করে, অথবা তার কল্পনার হরপ্পা বা চিটাগাঙের মধ্যে আজকের হরপ্পা বা চিটাগাংকে ঘেঁষতেই দেয় না। এই কিম্ভূত অসম্পূর্ণ বাস্তব-বিচ্ছিন্ন কল্পনার যারা কাস্টমার, সেই জনগণের মধ্যে তাই অতীত নিয়ে একটা হামবড়া ও স্বয়ংসম্পূর্ণ মনোভাবের বেলুন ফুলে-ফেঁপে ওঠে। সূর্য সেন ঠিক এই বেলুনটিকেই ফাঁসিয়ে দেন আজ-ও। যদি কোথাও মাস্টারদার হৃদ-স্পন্দন শোনা যায়, তা পূর্ববঙ্গে। আর কোথাও না। শাহবাগে যে গণ-জমায়েত হয়েছিল, এই মাত্র ক বছর আগে, সেখানে আমি সাক্ষী থেকেছি হাজার মানুষ একসঙ্গে স্লোগান তুলছেন - 'সূর্য সেনের বাংলায়, জামায়াত-শিবিরের ঠাঁই নাই'। যে পূর্ব-বাংলায় বহুকাল থেকে আজ-ও সংখ্যালঘুরা জানমালের নিরাপত্তাহীনতায় ভুগছেন ও মাতৃভূমি ত্যাগে বাধ্য হচ্ছেন, সেখানে মঙ্গলময় রাজনৈতিক শক্তিগুলো অবশ্যই এই স্লোগানকে ব্যবহার করেছে, তার কৌশলগত গুরুত্ব থেকে। এখনও সেখানে সূর্য সেনকে 'হিন্দু' নেতা বললে ব্যাপারটা একটু খারাপ দেখায়। তাই যেটুকু অবশিষ্ট পুঁজি বাকি আছে সূর্য সেনের নাম, মঙ্গলময় শক্তিগুলো সেটিকে ব্যবহার করেছে মুসলমান-প্রধান গণ-পরিসরে একজন 'হিন্দুর' নামে দৃপ্ত স্লোগান দেওয়াকে বৈধতা দেওয়ার জন্য। এটা লক্ষণীয় যে ৪৭ পরবর্তী কোনও হিন্দু ব্যক্তিত্ব পূর্ববঙ্গে এই আসন পাননি, অনেকের বলিদান সত্ত্বেও। ফলে সূর্য সেনরা আছেন, আবার 'সেন'-'দাদা'দের ৪৭-পরবর্তী রাষ্ট্রীয় আদর্শে প্রান্তিক করে দেওয়ার ব্যাপারটিও রয়েছে। এত কিছু যে বললাম, সেটা এইটে বোঝাতে যে, সূর্য সেনের নামের যেটুকু পুঁজি আছে পূর্ববঙ্গে, তা মন থেকে হোক আর কৌশলগত হোক, তুলনামূলকভাবে পশ্চিমবঙ্গে তার ছিঁটেফোঁটাও নেই। ভারতে তো নয়-ই।

ভারতে অনেকেই সাম্প্রতিক দুটি হিন্দি ছায়াছবির ('চিটাগং' ও 'খেলে হাম জিজান সে') মাধ্যমে সূর্য সেন নামটির সঙ্গে প্রথম পরিচিত হয়েছে। ছায়াছবিগুলোতে বর্ণিত ঘটনাগুলো বাস্তবে যেখানে ঘটেছে, তার প্রায় কোনও এলাকায় কখনও ভারত সংঘ-রাষ্ট্রের অধীনে ছিল না। বলিউড নিসর্গ থেকে মানুষকে আলাদা করেছে, তারপর নিসর্গটুকু নিয়ে সেখানে নতুন করে মানুষ বসিয়ে সেটিকে হিন্দি-কেন্দ্রিক 'ভারতীয় মন'-এর মনমতো করে তুলেছে।

অতীতকে এভাবেই আত্মসাৎ করা অনেকটাই সহজ। বর্তমান বড় জটিল বস্তু। তাকে না ঘাঁটানোই ভালো। তাই তো সূর্য সেনকে বর্তমান পূর্ববঙ্গ ও 'ভারতীয় মন'-এ তার অবৈধ অনুপ্রবেশকারী ও গরু-পাচারকারী ধারণা থেকে সম্পূর্ণ আলাদা করে নেওয়াটা জরুরি। অতীতের এই একটা সুবিধে। ক্ষমতা থাকলে ইচ্ছেমতো বানিয়ে নেওয়া যায়। এই কাল্পনিক সূর্য সেন একদমই এখনকার অর্থে 'ভারতীয়'। সূর্য সেনকে ৭৫-পরবর্তী অর্থে 'বাংলাদেশি' বলে দাবি করাটাও বেশ গোঁজামিলে ভরা, তবু সে আত্মসাতের মধ্যে সেখানকার বর্তমান রাজনৈতিক পটভূমি ও তার অন্যতম প্রধান বিভেদ-রেখার একটা সংযোগ আছে। মানুষের আত্মপরিচয়কে বা মানুষ যা কিছুকে পবিত্র মনে করে, এমন কোনও কিছুকেই সংক্ষেপে প্রকাশ করার নানা উপায়ের মধ্যে জাতি-রাষ্ট্র হলো সবচেয়ে অক্ষম।
আমার নিজেকে কিছু প্রশ্ন করতে হবে। আমরা অতীত সম্বন্ধে আমাদের ধারণাগুলো কেমন করে পেয়েছি ? কাদের থেকে পেয়েছি ? আমাদের যেসব গল্পগুলো বলা হয়েছে, যা যা ধারণা দেওয়া হয়েছে, তার মধ্যে কি কোনও মিল বা নির্দিষ্ট ছক আছে? আর কোনও গল্প কি বাদ পড়ে গেছে? সেই বাদ-পড়া গল্পগুলো কেন বাদ পড়েছে, কেন সেগুলো আমাদের বলা হয়নি? সেই গল্পগুলো কি আমাদের ইচ্ছে করে বলা হয়নি? এই গল্প বলার যে অবকাঠামো, তার মালিকানার সঙ্গে আমরা যে যে জিনিসকে 'সকলেই জানে' বা 'সত্য' মনে করি, তার কি কোনও সম্পর্ক আছে ? যারা এই গল্প-শোনানোর অবকাঠামোর আলিঙ্গনের বাইরে থেকে গেছে, তারা কি অন্যরকম গল্প, অন্য রকম 'সত্য, অন্যরকম এক-সেট 'সকলেই জানে' জেনে বড় হয়েছে ? এই অন্যতর 'সত্য'গুলোকে, অন্যতর গল্পগুলোকে প্রকাশ করার অধিকার কি তাদের কারও থেকে কম? কেন? কারণ, তাদের সহজে গ্রেফতার করা যায়, ভয় দেখানো যায় বা নিখোঁজ করে দেওয়া যায়? আমাদের অতীত নিয়ে কি আমাদের এমন কোনও ধারণা আছে, শেষ নিরিখে যার বৈধতা 'জোর যার মুলুক তার' ও 'আমরা ভালো' – এই দুই ধারণার পেট থেকে জন্ম নেয়নি? আমাদের সমাজে অতীত তৈরির কারখানায় একাধিক মালিক থাকলে, আমরা অনেক ঘৃণার বোঝা থেকে নিজেদের মুক্ত করতে পারব।

লেখক: স্থিত মস্তিষ্ক-বিজ্ঞানী, কলকাতা, হার্ভার্ড থেকে পিএইচডি প্রাপ্ত।

অতীত তৈরির কারখানা

India is still a subcontinent, it's just that some Indians created an artificial border within it and calling themselves Bangladeshis and Pakistanis! :)
Bengalis in India? Millions of Indians will scream their disapproval if you suggest such an idea in public. I've met plenty of Indians who've solely expressed disgust and hatred for Bengalis for a number of reasons. You just have to look at this forum where Bengalis are the butt of every racist and classist Indian joke out there.Too dark, too poor and too alien for the average Indian and here you are hoping to include them in this "Greater India". Pretty out of touch with reality if I say so myself. And before you try to include Pakistanis and Bengalis into "India", try to unite yourselves, for Christ's sake. In a country where no one bats an eyelid when another "Chinkie" is roughed up by a mob in New Delhi or when a "darkie" is pelted with stones for either being an unwanted migrant or having the misfortune of belonging to a lower-caste, there should be more focus on introducing ethnic harmony instead of introducing more ethnicities.

Back
Top Bottom