What's new

High Court bars use of Hindi songs as mobile ringtones, welcome tunes

There are no official rules to ban Bangladeshi TV channels in India, it's completely unofficial and India has always neglected this issue.

As I said, it is not banned, I have seen channels like ATN Bangla here, but don't watch it. We cannot force people to watch Bangladeshi channels, it is their free will. And if there is little demand, then operators also don't show it. Why Indian channels are popular in Bangladesh if Bangladeshi channels are really good? Why Bangladeshi film makers are so worried about Indian films if they make good films? We don't have such insecurity about Hollywood films!

Old story from a year ago, a little funny but tragic at the same time.

Court moved to ban Indian channels
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2014-08-07 22:34:43.0 BdST Updated: 2014-08-08 03:59:58.0 BdST

A Supreme Court lawyer has gone to the High Court for a ban on broadcast of Indian TV channels in Bangladesh.

The petitioner, Ekhlas Uddin Bhuiyan, sought a ruling as to why Indian channels should not be prevented from airing their programmes here.

The Home secretary, Information secretary, BTRC (Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission), Chairman and IGP have been made respondents in this lawsuit.

The petitioner appealed for taking Star Jalsha, Zee Bangla and Star Plus off air within seven days.

Bhuiyan said, "This plea may come up for hearing on Sunday in Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Saifur Rahman's court."

The lawyer gave notice to the government on Aug 3 to ban viewing of the Indian channels in Bangladesh.

The legal notice was also sent to Information minister, Information secretary and BTRC chairman.

After no steps were taken within 24 hours of receiving the notice, the petitioners moved the court.

The notice states that, although many Indian channels are broadcast in Bangladesh, no Bangladeshi channels are aired in India.

According to the data published in the media, unrestricted broadcast of Indian channels had caused national channels to lose viewers.

"Our country is losing its own cultural identity. This has a negative impact on our children. Lastly, two people have even lost their lives over a dress worn by one of the characters in an Indian serial."

Claiming that housewives, students and housemaids alike have become addicted to these channels, said, “Housemaids don’t want to work unless they are allowed to watch these shows.”

The notice was sent quoting a report, 'Life lost over love for Pakhi', published on Daily Amader Shomoy.

The report mentioned that the dress 'Pakhi', named after the star in the Indian telefilm 'Bojhena Shey Bojhena', had been selling like hot cakes after being released in the market ahead of Eid. The report said,

"In the Nondoteghori village under Bhabanipur Union in Sherpur, a young man named Shahin committed suicide after failing to buy his wife an expensive Pakhi dress."

"Furthermore, a girl named Noorjahan, studying in class 2, hailing from Gobindaganj of Gaibandha, also committed suicide after she was denied the same dress."

Court moved to ban Indian channels -
bdnews24.com

Bhairey - this is saying, if I moved to the US (for whatever reason) then I am not a born-Bangladeshi anymore?? Everything is denied and forgotten?

I honestly don't get the logic at all. Once a Bangladesh-born person, always a Bangladeshi, no matter where you go. You can't deny it. Every DNA and molecule in your body attests to it.

That was not an appropriate example.

Let's say that you were born in Dhaka, which is a part of Bangladesh. Now Dhaka's "Elite Tagorites" didn't want to remain with Bangladesh and created a new country Dhakabhumi, you decided that you are Bangladeshi, you were born as Bangladeshi and will live and die as a Bangladeshi, and you rejected Dhakabhumi citizenship and left Dhakabhumi for the Bangladesh part of the land before or after the partition of Bangladesh.

Or, maybe you were forced out of the newly created Dhakabhumi because the majority people didn't consider you a part of their own, and you permanently moved to the part that choose to remain Bangladesh, and lived there as a Bangladeshi.

Now, are you a Bangladeshi or a Dhakabhumian? Think logically and reply. :)

Last edited:
Why on Earth do you think West Bengal needs immunity from Hindi-speaking people ?!! That makes no sense at all! Bengalis are doing quite fine there.

What makes you think so ?

You have a developed (financially more affluent) region in India (Hindi speaking belt) imposing its culture on relatively undeveloped regions like WB. This is bound to happen because of inherent human prejudice and egoism.

I don't see Hindi-speakers from Delhi lining up to learn Bangla en-masse. Rather it is Bengalis from WB trying to speak Hindi in funny accents and being the butt of jokes because of financial and career gain. So this really does not speak of an equal cultural exchange in India.

Again - the point is that of Hindi speakers imposing their culture on Bengalis via Bollywood and many other cultural ways.

Just as an example - it is now hardly possible to go into a wedding in Bangladesh without watching kids break out in Bollywood-style dance. This is a bad, trashy influence. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

We need to ban these influences and foster our own cultural heritage (sort of like the French resisting American cultural influences).

That was not an appropriate example.

Let's say that you were born in Dhaka, which is a part of Bangladesh. Now Dhaka's "Elite Tagorites" didn't want to remain with Bangladesh and created a new country Dhakabhumi, you decided that you are Bangladeshi, you were born as Bangladeshi and will live and die as a Bangladeshi, and you rejected Dhakabhumi citizenship and left Dhakabhumi for the Bangladesh part of the land before or after the partition of Bangladesh,

Or, maybe you were forced out of the newly created Dhakabhumi because the majority people didn't consider you a part of their own, and you permanently moved to the part that choose to remain Bangladesh,

Now, are you a Bangladeshi or a Dhakabhumian? Think logically and reply. :)

If I'm born someplace - I belong culturally to that land. No matter if I'm thrown out, I'm forced to leave or I decide to leave of my own free will (because of greener pastures).

If your ancestors left Bangladesh because of some unfortunate incidents - that doesn't automatically wipe off the scent and culture of Bangladesh from them. They will still love to do the things (cuisine, puja, parbon, practices) just like they used to do in Bangladesh. Going to India did not make them culturally Ghoti or Indian all of a sudden.

If you were born in India and grow up there - that is different.

Non-Ghotis born as such will always be Non-Ghotis in Kolkata. Ask your parents if they are still living - you will get the answer. Ghotis and Bangals have differences - I'm sure you know enough of this.

I have friends (Gujarati Muslim background) whose parents were born in Gujarat and they moved to Dhaka in the 1960's because of greener pastures. That did not make them culturally Bangladeshi or East Pakistani all of a sudden, except in the citizenship papers they possessed.

Their household culture, Muslim religious practices, language spoken at home (Gujarati), their daily practices and their tastes remained Gujarati -which is fine and dandy. That Gujarati label did not change in the parents' generation - because they were born in Gujarat.

So - this is way off topic. Let's get back to our subject here - Bollywood cultural hegemony.

Indian media channels are freely being aired in Bangladesh (and as mentioned) are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars every month as subscription without investing one cent in paying ad revenue for Indian products.

This is the first step (banning Indian channels) unless our media is allowed to be aired in India as well (with ads promoting Bangladesh-made products).

We should also pressure the govt. to impose counter-vailing tax and other non-tarriff barriers on Indian products unless Indians remove non-tarrif barriers from our products being sold in India.

Fair is fair.

Last edited:
And further - the media being promoted here must abide by our taste and culture, look at how the Minions movie was promoted,

11702712_969028399808669_7063598878411663788_n.jpg

As I said, it is not banned, I have seen channels like ATN Bangla here, but don't watch it. We cannot force people to watch Bangladeshi channels, it is their free will. And if there is little demand, then operators also don't show it. Why Indian channels are popular in Bangladesh if Bangladeshi channels are really good? Why Bangladeshi film makers are so worried about Indian films if they make good films? We don't have such insecurity about Hollywood films!

Agreeing in case of quality and popularity. 22+ TV Channels in Bangladesh but way to go for quality productions, content diversifications.

But, we need to do everything to protect our beloved language. So, despite being behind in quality our judgment is correct. Cause, we cant compete with this hindi based culture.

You have a developed (financially more affluent) region in India (Hindi speaking belt) imposing its culture on relatively undeveloped regions like WB.

Hindi speaking belt is in fact one of the most underdeveloped and economically backward region in India, heard about BIMARU states? Two of the most developed states in north/west India, Gujrat and Maharashtra are not Hindi speaking, Punjab is also not Hindi speaking state. And Hindi speaking states are not imposing anything! :)

If I'm born someplace - I belong culturally to that land. No matter if I'm thrown out, I'm forced to leave or I decide to leave of my own free will (because of greener pastures).

If your ancestors left Bangladesh because of some unfortunate incidents - that doesn't automatically wipe off the scent and culture of Bangladesh from them. They will still love to do the things (cuisine, puja, parbon, practices) just like they used to do in Bangladesh. Going to India did not make them culturally Ghoti or Indian all of a sudden.

If you were born in India and grow up there - that is different.

Non-Ghotis born as such will always be Non-Ghotis in Kolkata. Ask your parents if they are still living - you will get the answer. Ghotis and Bangals have differences - I'm sure you know enough of this.

I have friends (Gujarati Muslim background) whose parents were born in Gujarat and they moved to Dhaka in the 1960's because of greener pastures. That did not make them culturally Bangladeshi or East Pakistani all of a sudden, except in the citizenship papers they possessed.

Their household culture, Muslim religious practices, language spoken at home (Gujarati), their daily practices and their tastes remained Gujarati -which is fine and dandy. That Gujarati label did not change in the parents' generation - because they were born in Gujarat.

So - this is way off topic. Let's get back to our subject here - Bollywood cultural hegemony.

And that's the confusion here, those personalities that Bangladeshi members claiming as Bangladeshis are actually born as Indian, Bengali is just their regional identity, their nationality was always Indian. Masterda Surya Sen was born as an Indian Bengali, who fought for the freedom of India and sacrificed his life, and now Bangladeshis are claiming that he was not an Indian but a Bangladeshi, isn't this an injustice to his deceased soul? Same applies to all who were born as Indian and remained Indian even after the partition of India.

And about the Bangladeshi culture that you have mentioned, it's basically the same as the culture on the other side of the border barring some negligible local differences. As I said before, other than religion there was barely any reason for the Indian Bengalis of the eastern part of Bengal to separate from India and create their own country, and creating a country on the basis of religion was/is not a valid or desirable reason. Bangladesh (and Pakistan) hate Israel, but they behaved more like Israelis! :)

You avoided a direct answer to my question in the previous post, the only logical answer to that would be that "You would be a Bangladeshi born in Dhaka of undivided Bangladesh", and certainly not a Dhakabhumian! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Ghotis and Bangals barely have any differences now. There were some differences in early days because the people on this side had to accommodate among them millions of refugees who were evicted from Bangladesh, that certainly put significantly additional burden on them, they were not rich either, hence there had been differences. But then, Bengalis of this side did accept the Bengalis (and also Biharis) whom the 'Bengalis of Bangladesh' evicted from their country!

You know, East Pakistan is a more logical name for Bangladesh since the land was partitioned on those principals, and Bangladeshis should have kept that name or something similar even after separating from West Pakistan, they don't qualify to be called a country for 'Bengalis' after evicting 1/3rd of the Bengalis from there. That 'secular liberal Bangladesh' is a farce that suits us Indians, otherwise Jamatis are more honest to the original principals behind the partition and creation of a 'Muslim country'. Logically, a 'secular & liberal' country is completely in contradiction with the creation of a separate country purely on the basis of the religion! Bangladesh and Pakistan wouldn't even needed to be born as separate countries if they had to be secular & liberal, at least Pakistanis in general are far less confused on this one! :)

Indian media channels are freely being aired in Bangladesh (and as mentioned) are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars every month as subscription without investing one cent in paying ad revenue for Indian products.

This is the first step (banning Indian channels) unless our media is allowed to be aired in India as well (with ads promoting Bangladesh-made products).

We should also pressure the govt. to impose counter-vailing tax and other non-tarriff barriers on Indian products unless Indians remove non-tarrif barriers from our products being sold in India.

Your own post is stating that Bangladeshi channels are not banned in India, now you cannot also demand that it should be mandatory for Indians to see those channels at least one hour a day! You know it doesn't work that way, they have to provide quality content to WIN viewers. Did Bangladeshi film industry improved and became big after banning Indian films? Or did Bollywood became weak because of Hollywood films?

And who is stopping Bangladeshi companies from giving ad in Bangladeshi or Indian channels? It is just that most of the exports from Bangladesh are products that don't need ads or don't give ads, because they are not brands promoted by big corporate! I know about two Bangladeshi companies here, Pran and Otobi, and I have seen Pran ad here.

And that's the confusion here, those personalities that Bangladeshi members claiming as Bangladeshis are actually born as Indian, Bengali is just their regional identity, their nationality was always Indian. Masterda Surya Sen was born as an Indian Bengali, who fought for the freedom of India and sacrificed his life, and now Bangladeshis are claiming that he was not an Indian but a Bangladeshi, isn't this an injustice to his deceased soul? Same applies to all who were born as Indian and remained Indian even after the partition of India.

Bangladeshi is not just a regional identity for Surya Sen, it is his origin as well. He was born in Chittagong, not Kolkata, or Delhi. His mother tongue was Chittagonian which is a Bangladeshi Bengali dialect, not Kolkata shantipuri dialect or Hindi. As did Pritilata and the whole band who attacked the British armory in Chittagong.

You can go to Chittagong and tell the largely Hindu populace there that they are Indian (or even Kolkatan) and see what they say....:laugh:

I laughed when I saw Indians making a movie about the incident and not credit his place of origin one bit. Band of generational British boot-lickers finally found a single incident where a Hindu (albeit from Eastern Bengal) finally stood up against the British but made a movie (in fact several over the past few years) which skillfully ignored Chittagong origin completely because now it is part of a Muslim country called Bangladesh. It's all about Hindu bravado, not Bangladesh.

Such stories of Hindu Bravado plays very well in India when instances of Bhartiya 'Himmat' are so few and far between. The Indian directors all know how to play into the Indian alter ego, what you lack in reality - you can 'live' through Bollywood.:sarcastic:

If the nation did not exist then - so what? I feel like I am repeating myself and you are coming up with circular logic.

You are saying a deceased person's origin changes as soon as borders are re-drawn or people move away? So Sheikh Mujib is still a Pakistani?

And about the Bangladeshi culture that you have mentioned, it's basically the same as the culture on the other side of the border barring some negligible local differences. As I said before, other than religion there was barely any reason for the Indian Bengalis of the eastern part of Bengal to separate from India and create their own country, and creating a country on the basis of religion was/is not a valid or desirable reason. Bangladesh (and Pakistan) hate Israel, but they behaved more like Israelis! :)

Have you ever been to Bangladesh? Catch a half-hour flight sometime to Dhaka and see for yourself...

Better yet, take a bus or train. There are 'Shohagh' buses leaving for Dhaka twice a day from Korunamoyee Bus Terminal. I'll ask Luffy 500 and his (ahem) brothers not to bother you :-)

There were more than 'Barely any' reasons for the creation of East Pakistan and then Bangladesh. Ask Suhrawardy who was the mayor Of Calcutta - oops he is long gone...

And Ghotis and Bangals barely have any differences now. There were some differences in early days because the people on this side had to accommodate among them millions of refugees who were evicted from Bangladesh, that certainly put significantly additional burden on them, they were not rich either, hence there had been differences. But then, Bengalis of this side did accept the Bengalis (and also Biharis) whom the 'Bengalis of Bangladesh' evicted from their country!

Nobody evicted anybody. It's a myth. Hindus left for greener pastures - that's all. What would you do? I did too.

My dad told me that Hindu people from his area left in 1971 and sold their property at a profit. Nobody was forcing them to leave, leaving property behind. Same thing happened to Muslims in India as well.

If you live in remote villages - rogue elements can take advantage of your minority status. This sort of thing happens 'aksar' in India as well.

You know, East Pakistan is a more logical name for Bangladesh since the land was partitioned on those principals, and Bangladeshis should have kept that name or something similar even after separating from West Pakistan, they don't qualify to be called a country for 'Bengalis' after evicting 1/3rd of the Bengalis from there. That 'secular liberal Bangladesh' is a farce that suits us Indians, otherwise Jamatis are more honest to the original principals behind the partition and creation of a 'Muslim country'. Logically, a 'secular & liberal' country is completely in contradiction with the creation of a separate country purely on the basis of the religion! Bangladesh and Pakistan wouldn't even needed to be born as separate countries if they had to be secular & liberal, at least Pakistanis in general are far less confused on this one! :)

You are right - we don't want to be called a country for 'Bengalis', we call ourselves Bangladeshis which is separate identity as a free, sovereign country compared to that of a state in India. Our identity is different. Maybe minor differences but still different. That is our right. There is no drama here.

Now that may not be to your liking or other Indians but that is reality.

All Bangladeshi Hindus (believe it or not) have equal rights in Bangladesh under the law. Some would say sometimes Hindus are favored as minorities for jobs and promotions in govt. There are tons of leaders in media and govt. who are Hindus. I don't think we have religious discrimination like North Indians, even to fellow Bengali Hindus from Kolkata.

It would be unthinkable and highly improper in educated middle class circles.

Hindu repression in Bangladesh happens very rarely and then in very remote villages, which your RSS picks up immediately and makes big news out of. It is extremely rare.

Secular and liberal is what our constitution says our principles are.

And as an outsider I don't think you can pass judgment (without actually living here in Dhaka) if we are indeed true to our secular and liberal principles. We have clearly defined our principles we stand for and what we offer in the world stage.

The separation and eventual creation of Bangladesh away from India and then from Pakistan was spearheaded by Bengalis (including Suhrawardy's cadre Sk. Mujib) mostly with roots in our area. If origin did not have anything to do with this then I have nothing to say.

Your own post is stating that Bangladeshi channels are not banned in India, now you cannot also demand that it should be mandatory for Indians to see those channels at least one hour a day! You know it doesn't work that way, they have to provide quality content to WIN viewers. Did Bangladeshi film industry improved and became big after banning Indian films? Or did Bollywood became weak because of Hollywood films?

Please don't muddy the waters or put silly words in my mouth that I did not say. Nowhere did I say that it should be mandatory for Indians to see Bangladeshi channels (for one hour a day or four).

What I did say was that our TV channels are unofficially banned in India, especially by Kolkata and Delhi Cable Operators (I might add illegally). Either you stop unofficially banning our TV channels in India or we will ban your Indian channels. Even our information minister (a first class Bangla Akademi member) is saying so. See link below.

The onus is on you to discover whether Indian Cable operators ban our channels and if it is true or not. Our TV channel owners are certainly telling us that Indians are unofficially banning our channels so we believe them. Why would they lie?

Noor opposes all Indian channels | Dhaka Tribune

Tal Bahana korey luv nei dada.

And who is stopping Bangladeshi companies from giving ad in Bangladeshi or Indian channels? It is just that most of the exports from Bangladesh are products that don't need ads or don't give ads, because they are not brands promoted by big corporate! I know about two Bangladeshi companies here, Pran and Otobi, and I have seen Pran ad here.

This is the most illogical statement I have heard from you this far.

FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) product-e Media Advertising lagey na?:laugh:

Pran's juice (lychee) etc, sale hobey kibhabey?

Indian channels are making millions of dollars every month from cable subscriptions in Bangladesh and Indian TV channels don't pay one red cent in ad spending to Bangladesh cable operators or the Govt. Advertising for every shitty Indian product is FREE in Bangladesh.

If this is the case then why should we not promote our channels with better programming and our better quality products in India?? How would we improve our channels, ad media and our industry? Especially when you get a free ride in our market? Is it a two way street or not?

Your country is consistently opposing the entry of our products - for what? The developed world is buying our first-world and first-class garments but not in India? Why??

India officially exports 3.5 Billion dollars of products into Bangladesh every year (unofficially far more), and we only export half a Billion to India. I think we should reduce the deficit some, don't you think?

Otherwise all these Modi promises are just hot air - nothing else....

Last edited:

The reason ATN Bangla is shown is that ATN itself is a Kolkata-based channel. Your Cable operators know full well which is Indian and which is Bangladeshi.

And it is not that they ever tried carrying our Bangladesh media programming.

I'm sorry but the quality of the Kolkata Channels are really bad Dada, even ATN - just watch NTV, Independent and other Bangladeshi channels on YouTube and you'll see the difference.

Indian (non-Kolkata and non-Bengali) channels have become popular in Bangladesh because they are applying talent pools supported by all of India's population using much more well-funded companies like ZEE and Sony. Some of these are funded by world-media companies and Indian media and ad industry is much larger than ours anyday. Our media companies don't have a chance against these companies.

Because of larger budgets, Indian Channels offer better-directed and better-produced programming which Bangladeshi channels have a hard time competing with.

But regardless - we have every right to promote our media within our broadcast space and 'level the playing field' so to speak .

Last edited:
Ha ha came across 'Ten Interesting Things Learnt while watching Indian Programming'. Sorry but only in Bengali.

10294232_649246188489951_5065158215738880682_n.jpg

Here's another one - addiction to drama serials...
284027_371181722963067_1506775027_n.jpg

Last edited:
Let any Indian come to Bangladesh and we will torture them.

Ha!

It's more like, "let's treat them (the Indian(s)) like Kings, all the way from the airport to their hotel and basically, everywhere they go, and then let's go out of our way to make sure they don't see the crap that bd is made of (but alas, that's a fail as well, as that is all there is to see), and then, let's be subservient to them for the rest of their trip for that's the only way we know".

:lol:

You avoided a direct answer to my question in the previous post, the only logical answer to that would be that "You would be a Bangladeshi born in Dhaka of undivided Bangladesh", and certainly not a Dhakabhumian! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's really not that complicated. He was from Chittagong which is present day Bangladeshi so he's apart of our history. If he born in Kolkata then fair do's, he is Indian Bengali as you say. Bakwas bandh Karo yaar.

Bangladeshi is not just a regional identity for Surya Sen, it is his origin as well. He was born in Chittagong, not Kolkata, or Delhi. His mother tongue was Chittagonian which is a Bangladeshi Bengali dialect, not Kolkata shantipuri dialect or Hindi. As did Pritilata and the whole band who attacked the British armory in Chittagong.

You can go to Chittagong and tell the largely Hindu populace there that they are Indian (or even Kolkatan) and see what they say....:laugh:

You are trying very hard to not see the obvious, Masterda Surys Sen was born as an Indian, lived as an Indian, believed himself to be an Indian, fought for the freedom of India, and sacrificed his life for India. He was an Indian of Bengali ethnicity, his nationality was not 'Bangladeshi', because Bangladesh didn't exist as a nation in his time! It was India, read the Bengali literature of that time, they all considered themselves Bharatbasi.

Pakistanis or Indians don't suffer from such confusion! Many of the top Pakistani leaders were born in India, starting from Md Ali Jinnah himself to Musharraf and Nawaz Sharif (I think), but neither Indians nor Pakistanis would claim them to be Indians, same goes for Indian personalities born in what is Pakistan today.

Tell me one thing, Pakistanis never claim Bhagat Singh to be a Pakistani, though he was born in Lahore, then why Bangladeshis make their claim on proud Indians like Masterda Surya Sen? Is it because Bangladesh as a country failed to produce enough icons of their own? :)

I laughed when I saw Indians making a movie about the incident and not credit his place of origin one bit. Band of generational British boot-lickers finally found a single incident where a Hindu (albeit from Eastern Bengal) finally stood up against the British but made a movie (in fact several over the past few years) which skillfully ignored Chittagong origin completely because now it is part of a Muslim country called Bangladesh. It's all about Hindu bravado, not Bangladesh.

Such stories of Hindu Bravado plays very well in India when instances of Bhartiya 'Himmat' are so few and far between. The Indian directors all know how to play into the Indian alter ego, what you lack in reality - you can 'live' through Bollywood.:sarcastic:

Make a list of all the freedom fighters who fought against the British for the freedom of India...undivided India, and you will see at least 90% of them, if not more, are Hindus.

But that's not the topic here. :)

If the nation did not exist then - so what? I feel like I am repeating myself and you are coming up with circular logic.

You are saying a deceased person's origin changes as soon as borders are re-drawn or people move away? So Sheikh Mujib is still a Pakistani?

I am exactly saying the opposite!
A deceased person's origin doesn't change as soon as borders are re-drawn, and that's why Masterda Surys Sen will always remain an Indian, and he didn't automatically became a Bangladeshi as soon as borders were re-drawn, same goes for Bhagat Singh also!

And for the living ones, when the nation was divided, those who wanted to be Bangladeshis/Pakistanis either moved to that part, or remained there if that part of the land went to Bangladesh. Similarly, those who wanted to be Indians either moved to that part, or remained there if that part of the land went to India, the personalities you are claiming to be Bangladeshis in fact have choosen India, so they are Indians, as simple as that.

And btw, those who moved from India to Bangladesh at the time of partition and took Bangladeshi citizenship are all Bangladeshis, calling them Indians would be a great injustice to them. Please don't do that! :)

Have you ever been to Bangladesh? Catch a half-hour flight sometime to Dhaka and see for yourself...

Better yet, take a bus or train. There are 'Shohagh' buses leaving for Dhaka twice a day from Korunamoyee Bus Terminal. I'll ask Luffy 500 and his (ahem) brothers not to bother you :-)

There were more than 'Barely any' reasons for the creation of East Pakistan and then Bangladesh. Ask Suhrawardy who was the mayor Of Calcutta - oops he is long gone...

The partition of India was all about personal political ambitions and communal politics.

Nobody evicted anybody. It's a myth. Hindus left for greener pastures - that's all. What would you do? I did too.

My dad told me that Hindu people from his area left in 1971 and sold their property at a profit. Nobody was forcing them to leave, leaving property behind. Same thing happened to Muslims in India as well.

If you live in remote villages - rogue elements can take advantage of your minority status. This sort of thing happens 'aksar' in India as well.

Oh please! What you are saying is like Germans saying that Hitler was myth! There was a purge, a genocide and exodus of massive scale both in 1946-47 and 1971, and in between. In other times minorities left Bangladesh because of acute insecurity. My family members murdered in 40's didn't become myth Bilal9.

You are right - we don't want to be called a country for 'Bengalis', we call ourselves Bangladeshis which is separate identity as a free, sovereign country compared to that of a state in India. Our identity is different. Maybe minor differences but still different. That is our right. There is no drama here.

Now that may not be to your liking or other Indians but that is reality.

All Bangladeshi Hindus (believe it or not) have equal rights in Bangladesh under the law. Some would say sometimes Hindus are favored as minorities for jobs and promotions in govt. There are tons of leaders in media and govt. who are Hindus. I don't think we have religious discrimination like North Indians, even to fellow Bengali Hindus from Kolkata.

It would be unthinkable and highly improper in educated middle class circles.

Hindu repression in Bangladesh happens very rarely and then in very remote villages, which your RSS picks up immediately and makes big news out of. It is extremely rare.

Secular and liberal is what our constitution says our principles are.

And as an outsider I don't think you can pass judgment (without actually living here in Dhaka) if we are indeed true to our secular and liberal principles. We have clearly defined our principles we stand for and what we offer in the world stage.

The separation and eventual creation of Bangladesh away from India and then from Pakistan was spearheaded by Bengalis (including Suhrawardy's cadre Sk. Mujib) mostly with roots in our area. If origin did not have anything to do with this then I have nothing to say.

You didn't notice what I said, I said secular and liberal Bangladesh suits us more, but Jamatis are right when they say it is supposed to be a purely Muslim country, that was indeed the original idea behind the demand for creation of east & west Pakistan. Partition was not needed if east & west Pakistan (and later Bangladesh) was supposed to be secular and liberal countries. Seculars and liberals don't even need to partition a country on religious lines to create Muslim countries...this is totally in contradiction to the idea of 'secular' and 'liberal'. :)

Please don't muddy the waters or put silly words in my mouth that I did not say. Nowhere did I say that it should be mandatory for Indians to see Bangladeshi channels (for one hour a day or four).

What I did say was that our TV channels are unofficially banned in India, especially by Kolkata and Delhi Cable Operators (I might add illegally). Either you stop unofficially banning our TV channels in India or we will ban your Indian channels. Even our information minister (a first class Bangla Akademi member) is saying so. See link below.

The onus is on you to discover whether Indian Cable operators ban our channels and if it is true or not. Our TV channel owners are certainly telling us that Indians are unofficially banning our channels so we believe them. Why would they lie?

Noor opposes all Indian channels | Dhaka Tribune

Tal Bahana korey luv nei dada.

Ki mushkil, cable operators can't air all the thousands of channels that exist around the world, they just show channels that are in demand, and local cable operators do show some Bangladeshi channels in spite of low viewership. Improve the quality and there will be demand, that's how it works. Why blame others for your failure?

This is the most illogical statement I have heard from you this far.

FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) product-e Media Advertising lagey na?:laugh:

Pran's juice (lychee) etc, sale hobey kibhabey?

Indian channels are making millions of dollars every month from cable subscriptions in Bangladesh and Indian TV channels don't pay one red cent in ad spending to Bangladesh cable operators or the Govt. Advertising for every shitty Indian product is FREE in Bangladesh.

If this is the case then why should we not promote our channels with better programming and our better quality products in India?? How would we improve our channels, ad media and our industry? Especially when you get a free ride in our market? Is it a two way street or not?

Your country is consistently opposing the entry of our products - for what? The developed world is buying our first-world and first-class garments but not in India? Why??

India officially exports 3.5 Billion dollars of products into Bangladesh every year (unofficially far more), and we only export half a Billion to India. I think we should reduce the deficit some, don't you think?

Otherwise all these Modi promises are just hot air - nothing else....

I did say that I have seen Pran's ads, didn't I? If Bangladeshi products can compete here, they will come and compete and give as many ads they want, there is no restriction!

Most of the products that come from Bangladesh are either raw material or natural products like jute and fish that don't need ads, or non-branded garments, sarees, shoes etc. that again don't need ads. It's not our fault, we are open for Bangladeshi ads. :)

And what do you mean by Indian companies give ads free of cost in Bangladesh?

Last edited:
You are trying very hard to not see the obvious, Masterda Surys Sen was born as an Indian, lived as an Indian, believed himself to be an Indian, fought for the freedom of India, and sacrificed his life for India. He was an Indian of Bengali ethnicity, his nationality was not 'Bangladeshi', because Bangladesh didn't exist as a nation in his time! It was India, read the Bengali literature of that time, they all considered themselves Bharatbasi.

Pakistanis or Indians don't suffer from such confusion! Many of the top Pakistani leaders were born in India, starting from Md Ali Jinnah himself to Musharraf and Nawaz Sharif (I think), but neither Indians nor Pakistanis would claim them to be Indians, same goes for Indian personalities born in what is Pakistan today.

Tell me one thing, Pakistanis never claim Bhagat Singh to be a Pakistani, though he was born in Lahore, then why Bangladeshis make their claim on proud Indians like Masterda Surya Sen? Is it because Bangladesh as a country failed to produce enough icons of their own? :)

Make a list of all the freedom fighters who fought against the British for the freedom of India...undivided India, and you will see at least 90% of them, if not more, are Hindus.

But that's not the topic here. :)

I am exactly saying the opposite!
A deceased person's origin doesn't change as soon as borders are re-drawn, and that's why Masterda Surys Sen will always remain an Indian, and he didn't automatically became a Bangladeshi as soon as borders were re-drawn, same goes for Bhagat Singh also!

And for the living ones, when the nation was divided, those who wanted to be Bangladeshis/Pakistanis either moved to that part, or remained there if that part of the land went to Bangladesh. Similarly, those who wanted to be Indians either moved to that part, or remained there if that part of the land went to India, the personalities you are claiming to be Bangladeshis in fact have choosen India, so they are Indians, as simple as that.

And btw, those who moved from India to Bangladesh at the time of partition and took Bangladeshi citizenship are all Bangladeshis, calling them Indians would be a great injustice to them. Please don't do that! :)

The partition of India was all about personal political ambitions and communal politics.

Oh please! What you are saying is like Germans saying that Hitler was myth! There was a purge, a genocide and exodus of massive scale both in 1946-47 and 1971, and in between. In other times minorities left Bangladesh because of acute insecurity. My family members murdered in 40's didn't become myth Bilal9.

You didn't notice what I said, I said secular and liberal Bangladesh suits us more, but Jamatis are right when they say it is supposed to be a purely Muslim country, that was indeed the original idea behind the demand for creation of east & west Pakistan. Partition was not needed if east & west Pakistan (and later Bangladesh) was supposed to be secular and liberal countries. Seculars and liberals don't even need to partition a country on religious lines to create Muslim countries...this is totally in contradiction to the idea of 'secular' and 'liberal'. :)

Ki mushkil, cable operators can't air all the thousands of channels that exist around the world, they just show channels that are in demand, and local cable operators do show some Bangladeshi channels in spite of low viewership. Improve the quality and there will be demand, that's how it works. Why blame others for your failure?

I did say that I have seen Pran's ads, didn't I? If Bangladeshi products can compete here, they will come and compete and give as many ads they want, there is no restriction!

Most of the products that come from Bangladesh are either raw material or natural products like jute and fish that don't need ads, or non-branded garments, sarees, shoes etc. that again don't need ads. It's not our fault, we are open for Bangladeshi ads. :)

And what do you mean by Indian companies give ads free of cost in Bangladesh?

Who cares for this Poradhin Bengali.

Being a Shadhin Bangali, Do we have to care any loser Poradhin's point?

LoL.

Back
Top Bottom