What's new

Help Needed: Visiting Karachi

Should I go outside the Airport to visit Mazar-e-Quaid

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course I will not be discussing politics with anybody... I am going there for a reason, not to debate with anybody.

Paan se bach ke, yeah sure
Aether Bhai no worries normal street crimes happened everywhere and crime rates depend on size of cities, just make sure to keep your all IDs with you as operation is under way and security agencies could stop and asked anyone for ID check, happy happy jaen happy aen and pay a salute to baba e qoum from PDF members also.

I think it would be better to travel in Salwar Kameez to avoid any unusual eye and I am fully aware that many people wear suit or jeans everyday in Karachi so it is nothing more than a safety precaution.

Honestly speaking you need to visit Karachi more often otherwise Media can make you believe Altaf weighs 50 kg.

Abay bahi nobody gives two hoots in Karachi about what you are wearing, just don't offend people by saying something rude, don't act like a stranger and keep a nice smile on your face while talking to them. People of Karachi in general are helpful. No political debates at all. And metro or white cab are the only good options if you want to feel relatively comfortable. (Advice based on personal experience, as I spent 5 to 6 years living in Karachi all by myself)

And the key to avoid any unnecessary attention is just don't go showing-off your valuables and you are some wealthy expat visiting Pakistan :D. Be nice and you will be treated nicely. And for rest of your concerns no worries the worst of the criminals are locked up somewhere in another country with highest number of prisons. Karachi is just like any other big city in the world (may be not that good but a unique attribute that I can promise you about Karachi is no stranger gets lost in that city)

Have a safe and sound journey. :tup:

OK basically I am travelling to Pakistan next Friday (reaching on Saturday). I could not find direct flight to Lahore or Islamabad as I noticed most of the flights going to Pakistan these days are via Karachi. The least number of hours showing were 17 hours so I chose that option which leaves me about 5-6 hours to spare in Karachi.

Since childhood I had a desire of visiting Karachi one day but due to security reasons I have never done so. Most of my family members has seen Karachi and they would be crazy on me if I told them I will be leaving Karachi airport for couple of hours as I want to pay a visit to Mazar-e-Quaid to thank him for the service he has done for this beautiful nation.

I have three prime concerns,

1) Despite being a Pakistani, how safe is it going to be to leave Karachi Airport on my own and visit Mazar-e-Quaid?

2) How far is it from Karachi Airport and what is the best way to get there?

3) Roughly how much it costs as I may not be carrying Pakistani currency except few notes left in my pocket when I travelled last time couple of months ago.

I am not interested in visiting any other place on my own as I plan to come back to Karachi with family in future so what advice do you give and do you recommend for me to do that or stay in the airport instead?

The other reason I am asking is the tensed political situation in Karachi these days so it may not be wise to travel under these conditions (though I am happy that major criminal activities such as target killing has reduced)

Hi,

2 hours in not enough time-----.

What airline are you using and from where?

OK basically I am travelling to Pakistan next Friday (reaching on Saturday). I could not find direct flight to Lahore or Islamabad as I noticed most of the flights going to Pakistan these days are via Karachi. The least number of hours showing were 17 hours so I chose that option which leaves me about 5-6 hours to spare in Karachi.

Since childhood I had a desire of visiting Karachi one day but due to security reasons I have never done so. Most of my family members has seen Karachi and they would be crazy on me if I told them I will be leaving Karachi airport for couple of hours as I want to pay a visit to Mazar-e-Quaid to thank him for the service he has done for this beautiful nation.

1) Despite being a Pakistani, how safe is it going to be to leave Karachi Airport on my own and visit Mazar-e-Quaid?

3) Roughly how much it costs as I may not be carrying Pakistani currency except few notes left in my pocket when I travelled last time couple of months ago.

I am not interested in visiting any other place on my own as I plan to come back to Karachi with family in future so what advice do you give and do you recommend for me to do that or stay in the airport instead?

The other reason I am asking is the tensed political situation in Karachi these days so it may not be wise to travel under these conditions (though I am happy that major criminal activities such as target killing has reduced)

Perfectly SAFE....

1. should be ok however act as a normal Pakistani.
2. by metro taxi 30-35 mins subject to traffic (one way). at airport metro booking office tell them you want to go to quaids mazar and also return to airport.
3. metro taxi may cost you roughly 2000 rupees (20$). change your $s at the airport exchange.

act normal and good luck.

Have a paper on 15th else you would have been my guest including pick and drop from Airport, i love to see the surprise look on visiting people when their impression of Karachi is shattered and they go "woah this is NOT what we thought or see in media"

One point of caution though, agencies have issued a high threat notification for public places for 14th August so you might want to consider that as well.

Thank you for replying

Hi,

2 hours in not enough time-----.

What airline are you using and from where?
Hi,

I have 8 hours stay in Karachi, 3-4 hours will be wasted in check-in, check-out procedure. So got 4-5 hours to spare

Travelling from Pakistan International Airlines, PK-788 to Karachi and PK-304 to Lahore
Perfectly SAFE....
Thank you
1. should be ok however act as a normal Pakistani.
2. by metro taxi 30-35 mins subject to traffic (one way). at airport metro booking office tell them you want to go to quaids mazar and also return to airport.
3. metro taxi may cost you roughly 2000 rupees (20$). change your $s at the airport exchange.

act normal and good luck.
Thanks,

I will make sure they do not overcharge me. Do we have bargaining system for metro taxis too?
Have a paper on 15th else you would have been my guest including pick and drop from Airport, i love to see the surprise look on visiting people when their impression of Karachi is shattered and they go "woah this is NOT what we thought or see in media"

One point of caution though, agencies have issued a high threat notification for public places for 14th August so you might want to consider that as well.
Your good intentions is my reward

Thanks a lot

Don't worry about agencies, I have no criminal case against me nor do I support extremists or political parties. I am a firm believer of the fact that I am safe from state institutions for as long as I am not violating the law. Regarding the high alert about potentially terrorist attack... Life and death is in the hand of God.. If I am die there nobody can stop me.. If not.. I am safe

Thank you for replying

Hi,

I have 8 hours stay in Karachi, 3-4 hours will be wasted in check-in, check-out procedure. So got 4-5 hours to spare

Travelling from Pakistan International Airlines, PK-788 to Karachi and PK-304 to Lahore

Thank you

Thanks,

I will make sure they do not overcharge me. Do we have bargaining system for metro taxis too?

Your good intentions is my reward

Thanks a lot

Don't worry about agencies, I have no criminal case against me nor do I support extremists or political parties. I am a firm believer of the fact that I am safe from state institutions for as long as I am not violating the law. Regarding the high alert about potentially terrorist attack... Life and death is in the hand of God.. If I am die there nobody can stop me.. If not.. I am safe

Bro if you have just 4-5 hours to kill, then go to some place nice and cool....like a shopping mall where you can eat good and do some shopping for your friends/family. The Quaid Mazar is a good option if you haven't been there or one of the PAF museum or Navy Museum...they are right next to the airport, so getting there and back would be cheap and quick.

Metro Taxis don't negotiate, they have fixed rates and reliable cars/drivers who know the city.

Karachi has the mugging issue, you can be mugged anytime...so make sure you don't use your phone on the road. Take all of your cards out of the wallet and any currency you don't need and keep it in a safe place.

Where are you going to park your luggage?

I have my exam on Monday, so would be busy with that, otherwise i would've shown you around easily.

Here is my review about visit to Karachi:

Landed at Karachi Airport at 07:50AM on Saturday morning and cleared check-out at approximately 9AM. I was very surprised to see so many foreigners in the plane and at the airport (English, Black and Chinese). I was initially disappointed to learn that I will have to collect the luggage at Karachi Airport and re-check in afterwards later in the afternoon as I was hoping to collect the luggage only at the final destination as is the case for other airlines I have travelled previously. But I was pleasantly surprised to learn that PIA provided complimentary hotel and food (had both breakfast and lunch) and that way I found a safe place to drop my luggage before leaving the room for couple of hours.

After I came outside the hotel room, I saw a Yellow Taxi standing opposite the hotel "Airport Hotel". I had learned that the metro taxi charges between 1800-2000 rupees but the first price he quoted me was only 900 rupees. I started bargaining and after few seconds he was willing to offer 800. I quoted him 700 and he conditionally agreed that he will accept 700 if I assumed his service is worth 700 rupees and would encourage me to pay 800 instead (I ended up paying him about 1000 rupees as I was particularly happy with his service). The first thing I did is, I took the photo of his taxi and the photo of driver and sent the reg number to my friend just to be on safe position and made sure that he knows what I am doing.

So I basically left the hotel, reached at Mazar-e-Quaid in 20-25 minutes as there was very little traffic. I saw a rangers personnel standing outside Mazar-e-Quaid and the gates were apparently closed. I inquired him about the mazar and he said the Mazar is closed. I was quite shocked and told him that I came from abroad and was so excited to visit Mazar-e-Quaid as my flight is Lahore bound and I will be leaving in couple of hours. He gently replied by saying Sir there is a back door which is open and you can use that to enter the mazar (so I think he was just discouraging unusual traffic from entering the mazar as I saw only few people inside, could be due to security reasons of 14th of August) and I heard the entire road was closed few hours earlier so it is understandable.

Experience about Mazar:

I think Mazar building was far smaller than my expectation, I was shocked to see the famous museum of mazar being just one room instead of large complex contrary to my expectation. The photographer took really nice photo of mine so I highly recommend their service which cost me only 70 rupees per photo. The garden of mazar was large but could have been more decorated in my opinion.

Karachi Security:

I spoke to several people in Karachi and mostly the taxi driver taking me around. He told me that everybody is happy in Karachi these days thanks to the rangers and army and there is a sense of justice prevailing in the city after many years. People think it is no longer that easy to snatch your mobile and run away and also killing people for pick-pocketing was history. He was praising Rangers that they have exterminated the crime from the whole city up to certain extent. He even claimed that there was recently a police officer involved in dubious activities and rangers even raided police station and arrested him on duty. He believed hardcore criminals now fear the action and the justice system is somewhat functional as the criminals have been gunned down, arrested, imprisoned or disappeared

I saw rangers and Sindh police cars everywhere around me. I got an opportunity to speak with some of the rangers and realised they were very humble and guided me as much as possible. I was also very surprised to see so many Punjabis in Karachi. I had heard about abundance of Pathan brothers and saw them working on the Airport on low scale jobs and some security guards around the hotel were also Pathan but I was particularly surprised to see so many Punjabi officers at the Airport and I believe most of the rangers I saw, I felt they all were Punjabis.

Karachi City vs Lahore

When my plane was landing, I initially saw lots of open field and was assuming it looks like a village to me but once the plane reached just near the runway, I saw congestion of houses around the airport. I did feel that it was more congested than Lahore and is a mega city of Pakistan. The condition of roads was good but I am not sure if it will be as good in rest of the city or not. The Shahr-e-Faisal looked like GT road to me and I was not able to see any road that truly compares with best roads in Lahore but I am sure there would be one as I only visited just parts of Karachi and fully aware that even Motorways exists in Karachi.

I think the high rise buildings, flats, and industries are definitely 10x more in Karachi as compared to Lahore but the overall infrastructure in my opinion is better in Lahore (or could be I have seen all of Lahore and only parts of Karachi). Overall it was a welcoming experience and everybody greeted me nicely. It looked like just any city of Pakistan and there was no feeling of being in Sindh (didn't see many people speaking Sindhi) or the security issues were non-existent.

Back
Top Bottom