What's new

Heavy water leakage at Kakrapar atomic plant in south Gujarat, 1 plant shut, no radiation leak

the one who is critising other, is unable to take critisism on himself, says a lot about your character

The matter was criticized due to risk to many lives, like you haven't gone through the full post and afterwards as well. The green energy is preferred and emphasized as well. Personal criticism and criticism in general differs a lot and your response was more about to defend being Indian not on the subject but going personal. I am still avoiding such character to respond you and I hope you may understand that it is not a good presentation at all.

See powerful and advance nations like Russia (USSR at that time) and Japan find themselves helpless in case of nuclear accidents. Chinorbal was melt down while routine check up went wrong and Fokoshima blown up by natural disasters... Building more nuclear plants is recipe to disasters...It is like digging u r own grave...I urge Pakistan and India to stop building Nuclear plants, we have huge workforce, lands to build clean energy but it seems that both nations attentions was to get more weapons instead of energy.

In case of energy, indeed an alternate source of energy with green environment is preferred. Weapons are just the part of defence but pursuing the goal, one should not forget the safety of own people as well IMO. Rest about land, agree with you, we have a long coastal/Sea line that can help produce wind power as well.

design based failure?
Breakage in Coolant piping is a Design Basis Accident.
DBA or Design Basis Accidents are those event/incidents/Accidents against which Engineering Safety Features (or ESF in short) are built into a system to mitigate the consequences of an accident. these aren't limited to nuclear industry but a wide variety of other fields as well.
350px-Bdb.jpg

For example, if there is a major breach in fuel cooling system in a reactor, this event would be called Loss of Coolant Accident (LOCA) which is a Design basis accident, as its occurrence is envisaged in design. The mitigating system of Water Injection is called Emergency Core Cooling System (or ECCS) would be an Engineering Safety Feature.
19980105_013.jpg

had it been beyond design based failure then the pressure boundary of PHT would have malfunctioned.
No.
In Nuclear Power Plants, there is a concept used (Worldwide) which calls for design, engineering, analysis and demonstration of Containment.
We have to understand, what the requirements here are. So here it is in brief:
Nuclear Fuel inside core undergoes fission and produces what are called Fission products apart from Energy. These fission products are radio-active isotopes and have varying half lives. Now it is essential to not allow these products to escape in atmosphere as these will then give radiation dose above and beyond regulatory limits. These most consequential of these isotopes is Iodine-131.
Normally the fuel cladding (usually Zircaloy or Stainless Steel) acts as primary barrier in this design intent. However, in case of fuel clad breach, if iodine leaks out, its is contained in a leak tight structure called containment. this is kept under negative pressure 9or vacuum with respect to outside atmosphere) , so that there is no leakage to outside.
A typical PHWR Containment is double walled (Called Primary and Secondary Containment) as shown here
CANDU_e.jpg

During abnormal occurrences in NPPs, a golden rule is followed (referred to as CCC). It means ensure Control of Reactivity (a term used to define capability of reactor to maintain sustained chain reaction and change power) by shutting down reactor, Cool the Fuel and finally Containment Integrity.
Chinorbal was melt down while routine check up went wrong
Sir, i beg to differ here. Chernobyl meltdown was direct result of faulty design (Reactor having positive coolant void coefficient of reactivity, lack of safety culture (operator was hell bound to do experiment of turbine coast down even at extremely low power) and above all lack of containment in RBMK design).
You can see in this documentary, how laid down procedures were violated during turbine rundown tests.
@PARIKRAMA @MilSpec @WAJsal @SpArK

Last edited:
Now i am pretty dilettante in this but i am just curious if this was design based failure? had it been beyond design based failure then the pressure boundary of PHT would have malfunctioned. Isnt it?

I am not at all sure for any design based issue or malfunctioning. These units are not new and are actually pretty old
upload_2016-3-12_14-10-57.png

But following actions were taken in 2010
Kakrapar unit 1 was fully refurbished and upgraded in 2009-10, after 16 years operation, with cooling channel (calandria tube) replacement.

and

Under plans for the India-specific safeguards to be administered by the IAEA in relation to the civil-military separation plan, eight further reactors were to be safeguarded (beyond Tarapur 1&2, Rajasthan 1&2, and Kudankulam 1&2): Rajasthan 3&4 from 2010, Rajasthan 5&6 from 2008, Kakrapar 1&2 by 2012 and Narora 1&2 by 2014.

We have also progressively enhanced our designs and evolved them further to mitigate various risks. See here
upload_2016-3-12_14-13-15.png

upload_2016-3-12_14-13-50.png

Now primarily i am supposing the leak has happened in primary heat transport (PHT) system which needed the reactor to do the following
1. Usage of Emergency cooling system
2. Shutting down by Micro processor control system

If you look, the PHT system comprises of a single loop of four coolant pumps and four steam generators.

upload_2016-3-12_14-30-4.png

These are specs for steam generator section
upload_2016-3-12_14-30-24.png

and the primary coolant system
upload_2016-3-12_14-31-8.png

If this was really a design issue, the adjoining other reactors at Narora and Kaiga should also have suffered similarly as specs are same for their PHT system. Thus i dont think its designed fault

One has to look at two aspects
1. The ageing effect on these connecting PHT system which is common for all reactors
2. The refurbishment of 2009-2010 . This detail led me to this part

upload_2016-3-12_14-49-54.png

Thats from NPCIL annual report 2009-10
So basically the the entire PHT and coolant system was renovated and modernised. So there may be an issue with quality of those works or a rare possibility of a defect un-forseen in any tube connecting to the PHT system.

Since the other R&M units like RAPS-2, MAPs 1&2,NAPS -1 &2 did not show similar issues, it may be localised and in turn a unforseen defect as i said in the last paragraph.

@MilSpec @anant_s @AUSTERLITZ @nair @WAJsal @Vauban @Taygibay @scorpionx

That is why I am against nuclear power plants, we are human not God we can't control natural disasters like earthquakes and floods even human are prone to mistakes exp Chinorbal plant....we should build more wind power parks they produces the most clean energy and old turbines and blades can be recycled...even solar panels are producing lot of pollution during manufacturing and later in huge non-recyclable waste...My wish is world must go for hydro and wind power plants...

So you intend to go back to the coal firing power systems, and screw up the planet ecosystem irreversibly?

Keep your unsolicited recommendations to yourself, India is not Pakistan and vice versa, stop comparing the two- you're just humiliating yourselves.
@nair @MilSpec @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ

Does my post deserves such reply ? why do you not think this person should be treated for his blind hatred and insult to my country.
@PARIKRAMA @WAJsal @anant_s

So you intend to go back to the coal firing power systems, and screw up the planet ecosystem irreversibly?
No where did I mentioned this...we should gradually go to green energy, more dams and wind turbines.

@nair @MilSpec @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ

Does my post deserves such reply ? why do you not think this person should be treated for his blind hatred and insult to my country.
@PARIKRAMA @WAJsal @anant_s
Does this relatively minor incident deserve this kind of grandstanding and nonsensical assertions that contradict established policies of democratic governments? The insinuation being that these governments have made decsions that intentionally endanger the lives of their citizens rather than the explicit intent of improving their lives.

The level of ignorance you have shown was entirely unjustified in response to this incident and I have not made a single insult to Pakistan.

No where did I mentioned this...we should gradually go to green energy, more dams and wind turbines.

Wind energy is unpredictable, and the existing grid system cannot support it as an alternative to nuclear or coal energy. And so is Solar, where you'll get only 8-9 hours of peak energy. What alternative do you suggest for the sustained output for the remaining 14-15 hours?

That is why I am against nuclear power plants, we are human not God we can't control natural disasters like earthquakes and floods even human are prone to mistakes exp Chinorbal plant....we should build more wind power parks they produces the most clean energy and old turbines and blades can be recycled...even solar panels are producing lot of pollution during manufacturing and later in huge non-recyclable waste...My wish is world must go for hydro and wind power plants...

Completely agree. Nuclear tech should only be used in defense for MAD.

Civilian nuclear tech is dangerous especially in subcontinent where the population density is very high and one accident could lead to high causality numbers. There are many alternative clean energy technologies which are much safer and less riskier than nuclear energy.

India should focus on Geothermal and Solar.

There are many alternative clean energy technologies which are much safer and less riskier than nuclear energy.
Such as?

Many are quick to bring up Fukushima but let's not forget that reactor design was over 40 years old, the reactors designed today are far, far safer. The VVER-1000 reactors at Kudankulam are amongst the safest in the world with both active and passive cooling that makes them immune to the kind of issues the Fukushima plant encountered. India's power plants being built today are all cutting edge with the very latest in safety features, any talk of them being unsafe is pure hogwash and intellectually dishonest.

India should focus on Geothermal and Solar.

True, geothermal is a good idea to explore, and more funds should be released on the study of areas suitable for geothermal power plants. But i recon, most of the areas will be unsuitable for it, and the cost of installation will be significantly higher than some places.

For solar, I have already mentioned, unless there is radical implementation of smart grid technologies and energy storage technologies, it can be only used to augment the peak energy need generation, never as a standalone energy source.

Such as?

Many are quick to bring up Fukushima but let's not forget that reactor design was over 40 years old, the reactors designed today are far, far safer. The VVER-1000 reactors at Kudankulam are amongst the safest in the world with both active and passive cooling that makes them immune to the kind of issues the Fukushima plant encountered. India's power plants being built today are all cutting edge with the very latest in safety features, any talk of them being unsafe is pure hogwash and intellectually dishonest.

I am not doubting tech the tech or capabilities of India scientists but I am not sold on nuclear energy. The costs and risks out weigh the benefits.

http://web.mit.edu/nuclearpower/pdf/nuclearpower-summary.pdf

The

Future of

Nuclear

Power

AN INTERDISCIPLINARY MIT STUDY

Copyright © 2003 Massachusetts Institute of Technology. All rights reserved.

ISBN 0-615-12420-8

iii

Study Participants

PROFESSOR STEPHEN ANSOLABEHERE

Department of Political Science, MIT

PROFESSOR JOHN DEUTCH — CO CHAIR

InstituteProfessor

Department of Chemistry, MIT

PROFESSOR EMERITUS MICHAEL DRISCOLL

Department of Nuclear Engineering, MIT

PROFESSOR PAUL E. GRAY

President Emeritus, MIT

Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

PROFESSOR JOHN P. HOLDREN

Teresa and John Heinz Professor of Environmental Policy

Director of the Program on Science, Technology, and Public Policy

John F. Kennedy School of Government, and

Professor of Environmental Science and Public Policy

Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Harvard University.

PROFESSOR PAUL L. JOSKOW

Elizabeth and James Killian Professor of Economics and Management

Department of Economics and Sloan School of Management, MIT

Director, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research

PROFESSOR RICHARD K. LESTER

Director, MIT Industrial Performance Center

PROFESSOR ERNEST J. MONIZ — CO CHAIR

Department of Physics, MIT

Director of Energy Studies, Laboratory for Energy and the Environment

PROFESSOR NEIL E. TODREAS

Korea Electric Power Company Professor of Nuclear Engineering

Professor of Mechanical Engineering

Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT

ERIC S. BECKJORD

Executive Director

Student Research Assistants

Nathan Hottle

Christopher Jones

Etienne Parent

iv MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

MIT Nuclear Energy Study Advisory

Committee Members

PHIL SHARP, CHAIR

Former member of Congress

JOHN AHEARNE

Sigma Xi and Duke University

THOMAS B. COCHRAN

National Resources Defense Council

E. LINN DRAPER, JR.

Chairman, CEO, and President, American Electric Power

TED GREENWOOD

Program Director, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation

JOHN J. MACWILLIAMS

Partner, The Tremont Group, LLC

JESSICA TUCHMAN MATHEWS

President, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

ZACK T. PATE

Chairman Emeritus

World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO)

JOHN PODESTA

Visiting Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center

JOHN H. SUNUNU

JHS Associates, Ltd.

MASON WILLRICH

Consultant

v

Table of Contents

Forward and Acknowledgments vii

Executive Summary ix

Chapter 1 The Future of Nuclear Power — Overview and Conclusions 1

Chapter 2 Background and Purpose of the Study 17

Chapter 3 Outline of the Study 25

Chapter 4 Fuel Cycles 29

Chapter 5 Nuclear Power Economics 37

Chapter 6 Safety 47

Chapter 7 Spent Fuel/High-Level Waste Management 53

Chapter 8 Nonproliferation 65

Chapter 9 Public Attitudes and Public Understanding 71

Chapter 10 Recommended Measures to Resolve Uncertainty

About the Economics of Nuclear Power 77

Chapter 11 Recommendations Bearing on Safety,Waste Management,

and Proliferation 85

Chapter 12 Recommended Analysis, Research,Development and

Demonstration Program 91

Glossary of Technical Terms 95

APPENDICES

Appendix to Chapter 1: Nuclear Fuel Cycle Primer 101

Appendix to Chapter 2: Nuclear Deployment Scenario 109

Appendix to Chapter 4: Fuel Cycle Calculations 117

Appendix to Chapter 5: Economics 131

Appendix to Chapter 7:Waste Management 157

Appendix to Chapter 9: Public Attitudes 167

vii

We decided to study the future of nuclear power

because we believe this technology, despite the

challenges it faces, is an important option for

the United States and the world to meet future

energy needs without emitting carbon dioxide

(CO2) and other atmospheric pollutants. Other

options include increased efficiency, renewables,

and sequestration. We believe that all options

should be preserved as nations develop strategies

that provide energy while meeting important

environmental challenges. The nuclear

power option will only be exercised, however, if

the technology demonstrates better economics,

improved safety, successful waste management,

and low proliferation risk, and if public policies

place a significant value on electricity production

that does not produce CO2. Our study identifies

the issues facing nuclear power and what

might be done to overcome them.

Our audience is government, industry, and academic

leaders with an interest in the management

of the interrelated set of technical, economic,

environmental, and political issues that

must be addressed if large-scale deployment of

new nuclear power generating facilities is to

remain an option for providing a significant

fraction of electricity supply in the middle of

this century. We trust that our analysis and

arguments will stimulate constructive dialogue

about the way forward.

This study also reflects our conviction that the

MIT community is well equipped to carry out

interdisciplinary studies intended to shed light

on complex socio-technical issues that will have

a major impact on our economy and society.

Nuclear power is but one example; we hope to

encourage and participate in future studies with

a similar purpose.

We acknowledge generous financial support

from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and from

MIT’s Office of the Provost and Laboratory for

Energy and the Environment.

Forward and Acknowledgments

ix

STUDY CONTEXT

Over the next 50 years, unless patterns change

dramatically, energy production and use will

contribute to global warming through largescale

greenhouse gas emissions — hundreds of

billions of tonnes of carbon in the form of carbon

dioxide. Nuclear power could be one

option for reducing carbon emissions. At present,

however, this is unlikely: nuclear power

faces stagnation and decline.

This study analyzes what would be required to

retain nuclear power as a significant option for

reducing greenhouse gas emissions and meeting

growing needs for electricity supply. Our analysis

is guided by a global growth scenario that

would expand current worldwide nuclear generating

capacity almost threefold, to 1000 billion

watts, by the year 2050. Such a deployment

would avoid 1.8 billion tonnes of carbon emissions

annually from coal plants, about 25% of

the increment in carbon emissions otherwise

expected in a business-as-usual scenario. This

study also recommends changes in government

policy and industrial practice needed in the relatively

near term to retain an option for such an

outcome.

We did not analyze other options for reducing

carbon emissions — renewable energy sources,

carbon sequestration, and increased energy efficiency

— and therefore reach no conclusions

about priorities among these efforts and

nuclear power. In our judgment, it would be a

mistake to exclude any of these four options at

this time.

STUDY FINDINGS

For a large expansion of nuclear power to succeed,

four critical problems must be overcome:

Cost. In deregulated markets, nuclear power

is not now cost competitive with coal and

natural gas.However, plausible reductions by

industry in capital cost, operation and maintenance

costs, and construction time could

reduce the gap. Carbon emission credits, if

enacted by government, can give nuclear

power a cost advantage.

Safety. Modern reactor designs can achieve a

very low risk of serious accidents, but “best

practices” in construction and operation are

essential.We know little about the safety of the

overall fuel cycle, beyond reactor operation.

Waste. Geological disposal is technically feasible

but execution is yet to be demonstrated

or certain. A convincing case has not been

made that the long-term waste management

benefits of advanced, closed fuel cycles

involving reprocessing of spent fuel are outweighed

by the short-term risks and costs.

Improvement in the open, once through fuel

cycle may offer waste management benefits

as large as those claimed for the more expensive

closed fuel cycles.

Proliferation. The current international safeguards

regime is inadequate to meet the

security challenges of the expanded nuclear

deployment contemplated in the global

growth scenario. The reprocessing system

now used in Europe, Japan, and Russia that

involves separation and recycling of plutonium

presents unwarranted proliferation risks.

Executive Summary

x MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

We conclude that, over at least the next 50

years, the best choice to meet these challenges

is the open, once-through fuel cycle.
We judge

that there are adequate uranium resources

available at reasonable cost to support this

choice under a global growth scenario.

Public acceptance will also be critical to expansion

of nuclear power. Our survey results show

that the public does not yet see nuclear power as

a way to address global warming, suggesting

that further public education may be necessary.

SELECTED RECOMMENDATIONS

We support the Department of Energy

(DOE) 2010 initiative to reduce costs

through new design certification, site banking,

and combined construction and operation

licenses.

The government should also share “first

mover” costs for a limited number of power

plants that represent safety-enhancing evolutionary

reactor design.We propose a production

tax credit for up to $200/kWe of the

plant’s construction cost. This mechanism

creates a strong incentive to complete and

operate the plant and the mechanism is

extendable to other carbon-free technologies.

The government actions we recommend

aim to challenge the industry to demonstrate

the cost reductions claimed for new reactor

construction, with industry assuming the

risks and benefits beyond first- mover costs.

Federal or state portfolio standards should

include incremental nuclear power capacity

as a carbon free source.

The DOE should broaden its long-term

waste R&D program, to include improved

engineered barriers, investigation of alternative

geological environments, and deep bore

hole disposal. A system of central facilities to

store spent fuel for many decades prior to

geologic disposal should be an integral part

of the waste management strategy. The U.S.

should encourage greater harmonization of

international standards and regulations for

waste transportation, storage, and disposal.

The International Atomic Energy Agency

should have authority to inspect all suspect

facilities (implement the Additional

Protocol) and should develop a worldwide

system for materials protection, control, and

accountability that goes beyond accounting,

reporting, and periodic inspections. The U.S.

should monitor and influence developments

in a broad range of enrichment technologies.

The DOE R&D program should be realigned

to focus on the open, once-through fuel

cycle. It should also conduct an international

uranium resource assessment; establish a

large nuclear system analysis, modeling, and

simulation project, including collection of

engineering data, to assess alternative nuclear

fuel cycle deployments relative to the four

critical challenges; and halt development and

demonstration of advanced fuel cycles or

reactors until the results of the nuclear system

analysis project are available.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 1

The generation of electricity from fossil fuels, notably natural gas and coal, is

a major and growing contributor to the emission of carbon dioxide – a greenhouse

gas that contributes significantly to global warming.We share the scientific

consensus that these emissions must be reduced and believe that the

U.S. will eventually join with other nations in the effort to do so.

At least for the next few decades, there are only a few realistic options for

reducing carbon dioxide emissions from electricity generation:

increase efficiency in electricity generation and use;

expand use of renewable energy sources such as wind, solar, biomass, and

geothermal;

capture carbon dioxide emissions at fossil-fueled (especially coal) electric

generating plants and permanently sequester the carbon; and

increase use of nuclear power.

The goal of this interdisciplinary MIT study is not to predict which of these

options will prevail or to argue for their comparative advantages. In our view,

it is likely that we shall need all of these options and accordingly it would be a

mistake at this time to exclude any of these four options from an overall carbon

emissions management strategy
. Rather we seek to explore and evaluate actions

that could be taken to maintain nuclear power as one of the significant

options for meeting future world energy needs at low cost and in an environmentally

acceptable manner.

In 2002, nuclear power supplied 20% of United

States and 17% of world electricity consumption.

Experts project worldwide electricity consumption

will increase substantially in the coming

decades, especially in the developing world,

accompanying economic growth and social

progress. However, official forecasts call for a

mere 5% increase in nuclear electricity generating capacity worldwide by

2020 (and even this is questionable), while electricity use could grow by as

CHAPTER 1 — THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER —

OVERVIEW AND CONCLUSIONS

In our view, it would be a mistake

at this time to exclude any of these

four options from an overall carbon

emissions management strategy.

2 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

much as 75%. These projections entail little new nuclear plant construction

and reflect both economic considerations and growing anti-nuclear sentiment

in key countries. The limited prospects for nuclear power today are attributable,

ultimately, to four unresolved problems:

Costs: nuclear power has higher overall lifetime costs compared to natural gas

with combined cycle turbine technology (CCGT) and coal, at least in the

absence of a carbon tax or an equivalent “cap and trade” mechanism for

reducing carbon emissions;

Safety: nuclear power has perceived adverse safety, environmental, and health

effects, heightened by the 1979 Three Mile Island and 1986 Chernobyl reactor

accidents, but also by accidents at fuel cycle facilities in the United

States, Russia, and Japan. There is also growing concern about the safe and

secure transportation of nuclear materials and the security of nuclear facilities

from terrorist attack;

Proliferation: nuclear power entails potential security risks, notably the possible

misuse of commercial or associated nuclear facilities and operations to

acquire technology or materials as a precursor to the acquisition of a

nuclear weapons capability. Fuel cycles that involve the chemical reprocessing

of spent fuel to separate weapons-usable plutonium and uranium

enrichment technologies are of special concern, especially as nuclear power

spreads around the world;

Waste: nuclear power has unresolved challenges in long-term management of

radioactive wastes. The United States and other countries have yet to implement

final disposition of spent fuel or high level radioactive waste streams

created at various stages of the nuclear fuel cycle. Since these radioactive

wastes present some danger to present and future generations, the public

and its elected representatives, as well as prospective investors in nuclear

power plants, properly expect continuing and substantial progress towards

solution to the waste disposal problem. Successful operation of the planned

disposal facility at Yucca Mountain would ease, but not solve, the waste

issue for the U.S. and other countries if nuclear power expands substantially.

We believe the nuclear option should be

retained, precisely because it is an

important carbon-free source of power.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 3

Today, nuclear power is not an economically competitive choice.Moreover,

unlike other energy technologies, nuclear power requires significant government

involvement because of safety, proliferation, and waste concerns. If in

the future carbon dioxide emissions carry a significant “price,” however,

nuclear energy could be an important — indeed vital — option for generating

electricity.We do not know whether this will occur. But we believe the

nuclear option should be retained, precisely because it is an important carbonfree

source of power that can potentially make a significant contribution to

future electricity supply

To preserve the nuclear option for the future requires overcoming the four

challenges described above—costs, safety, proliferation, and wastes. These

challenges will escalate if a significant number of new nuclear generating

plants are built in a growing number of countries. The effort to overcome

these challenges, however, is justified only if nuclear power can potentially

contribute significantly to reducing global warming, which entails major

expansion of nuclear power. In effect, preserving the nuclear option for the

future means planning for growth, as well as for a future in which nuclear

energy is a competitive, safer, and more secure source of power.

To explore these issues, our study postulates a global growth scenario that by

mid-century would see 1000 to 1500 reactors of 1000 megawatt-electric

(MWe) capacity each deployed worldwide, compared to a capacity equivalent

to 366 such reactors now in service. Nuclear power expansion on this scale

requires U.S. leadership, continued commitment by Japan,

Korea, and Taiwan, a renewal of European activity, and

wider deployment of nuclear power around the world. An

illustrative deployment of 1000 reactors, each 1000 MWe in

size, under this scenario is given in following table.

This scenario would displace a significant amount of carbon-

emitting fossil fuel generation. In 2002, carbon equivalent

emission from human activity was about 6,500 million

tonnes per year; these emissions will probably more than

double by 2050. The 1000 GWe of nuclear power postulated

here would avoid annually about 800 million tonnes of carbon

equivalent if the electricity generation displaced was

gas-fired and 1,800 million tonnes if the generation was

coal-fired, assuming no capture and sequestration of carbon

dioxide from combustion sources.

PROJECTED 2050

GWe CAPACITY 2050

Total World

Developed world

U.S.

Europe & Canada

Developed East Asia

FSU

Developing world

China, India, Pakistan

Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico

Other developing countries

17%

23%

16%

2%

19%

29%

23%

11%

NUCLEAR ELECTRICITY

MARKET SHARE

REGION

Projected capacity comes from the global electricity demand scenario in Appendix 2,

which entails growth in global electricity consumption from 13.6 to 38.7 trillion kWhrs

from 2000 to 2050 (2.1% annual growth). The market share in 2050 is predicated on

85% capacity factor for nuclear power reactors. Note that China, India, and Pakistan

are nuclear weapons capable states. Other developing countries includes as leading

contributors Iran, South Africa, Egypt, Thailand, Philippines, and Vietnam.

Global Growth Scenario

4 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

FUEL CYCLE CHOICES

A critical factor for the future of an expanded nuclear power industry is the

choice of the fuel cycle — what type of fuel is used, what types of reactors

“burn” the fuel, and the method of disposal of the spent fuel. This choice

affects all four key problems that confront nuclear power — costs, safety, proliferation

risk, and waste disposal. For this study, we examined three representative

nuclear fuel cycle deployments:

conventional thermal reactors operating in a “oncethrough”

mode, in which discharged spent fuel is sent directly

to disposal;

thermal reactors with reprocessing in a “closed” fuel cycle,

which means that waste products are separated from unused

fissionable material that is re-cycled as fuel into reactors. This includes the

fuel cycle currently used in some countries in which plutonium is separated

from spent fuel, fabricated into a mixed plutonium and uranium oxide fuel,

and recycled to reactors for one pass1;

fast reactors2 with reprocessing in a balanced “closed” fuel cycle, which means

thermal reactors operated world-wide in “once-through” mode and a balanced

number of fast reactors that destroy the actinides separated from thermal

reactor spent fuel. The fast reactors, reprocessing, and fuel fabrication

facilities would be co-located in secure nuclear energy “parks” in industrial

countries.

Closed fuel cycles extend fuel supplies. The viability of the once-through

alternative in a global growth scenario depends upon the amount of uranium

resource that is available at economically attractive prices. We believe that the

world-wide supply of uranium ore is sufficient to fuel the deployment of 1000

reactors over the next half century
and to maintain this level of deployment

over a 40 year lifetime of this fleet. This is an important foundation of our

study, based upon currently available information and the history of natural

resource supply.

The result of our detailed analysis of the relative merits of these representative

fuel cycles with respect to key evaluation criteria can be summarized as follows:

The once through cycle has advantages in cost, proliferation, and fuel cycle

safety
, and is disadvantageous only in respect to long-term waste disposal; the

We believe that the world-wide supply

of uranium ore is sufficient to fuel the

deployment of 1,000 reactors over the

next half century.

1. This fuel cycle is known as

Plutonium Recycle Mixed

Oxide, or PUREX/MOX.

2. A fast reactor more readily

breeds fissionable isotopespotential

fuel-because it

utilizes higher energy neutrons

that in turn create

more neutrons when

absorbed by fertile elements,

e.g. fissile Pu239 is

bred from neutron absorption

of U238 followed by

beta (electron) emission

from the nucleus.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 5

two closed cycles have clear advantages

only in long-term aspects of

waste disposal, and disadvantages in

cost, short-term waste issues, proliferation

risk, and fuel cycle safety. (See

Table.) Cost and waste criteria are

likely to be the most crucial for determining

nuclear power’s future.

We have not found, and based on

current knowledge do not believe it is

realistic to expect, that there are new

reactor and fuel cycle technologies

that simultaneously overcome the

problems of cost, safety, waste, and

proliferation.

Our analysis leads to a significant conclusion: The once-through fuel cycle best

meets the criteria of low costs and proliferation resistance. Closed fuel cycles

may have an advantage from the point of view of long-term waste disposal

and, if it ever becomes relevant, resource extension. But closed fuel cycles will

be more expensive than once-through cycles, until ore resources become very

scarce. This is unlikely to happen, even with significant growth in nuclear

power, until at least the second half of this century, and probably considerably

later still. Thus our most important recommendation is:

For the next decades, government and industry in the U.S. and elsewhere

should give priority to the deployment of the once-through fuel cycle,

rather than the development of more expensive closed fuel cycle

technology involving reprocessing and new advanced thermal or fast

reactor technologies.

This recommendation implies a major re-ordering of priorities of the U.S.

Department of Energy nuclear R&D programs.

Fuel Cyc le Types and Ratings

ECONOMICS Reactor Fuel Cycle

Once

through

Closed

thermal

Closed

fast

× short term

long term

short term

+ long term

short term

+ long term

SAFETY

+
means relatively advantageous; × means relatively neutral; means relatively disadvantageous

This table indicates broadly the relative advantage and disadvantage among the different type of nuclear fuel cycles. It does not

indicate relative standing with respect to other electricity-generating technologies, where the criteria might be quite different

(for example, the nonproliferation criterion applies only to nuclear).

WASTE PROLIFERATION

+

+

+ to –

+

6 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

PUBLIC ATTITUDES TOWARD NUCLEAR POWER

Expanded deployment of nuclear power requires public acceptance of this

energy source. Our review of survey results shows that a majority of

Americans and Europeans oppose building new nuclear power plants to meet

future energy needs. To understand why, we surveyed 1350 adults in the US

about their attitudes toward energy in general and nuclear power in particular.

Three important and unexpected results emerged from that survey:

The U.S. public’s attitudes are informed almost entirely by their perceptions

of the technology, rather than by politics or by demographics such as

income, education, and gender.

The U.S. public’s views on nuclear waste, safety, and costs are critical to their

judgments about the future deployment of this technology. Technological

improvements that lower costs and improve safety and waste problems can

increase public support substantially.

In the United States, people do not connect concern about global warming

with carbon-free nuclear power. There is no difference in support for building

more nuclear power plants between those who are very concerned about

global warming and those who are not. Public education may help improve

understanding about the link between global warming, fossil fuel usage, and

the need for low-carbon energy sources.

There are two implications of these findings for our study: first, the U.S. public

is unlikely to support nuclear power expansion without substantial

improvements in costs and technology. Second, the carbon-free character of

nuclear power, the major motivation for our study, does not appear to motivate

the U.S. general public to prefer expansion of the nuclear option.

The U.S. public is unlikely to support

nuclear power expansion without

substantial improvements in costs and

technology.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 7

ECONOMICS

Nuclear power will succeed in the long run only if it has a lower cost than

competing technologies. This is especially true as electricity markets become

progressively less subject to economic regulation in many parts of the world.

We constructed a model to evaluate the real cost of electricity from nuclear

power versus pulverized coal plants and natural gas combined cycle plants (at

various projected levels of real lifetime prices for natural gas), over their economic

lives. These technologies are most widely used today and, absent a carbon

tax or its equivalent, are less expensive than many

renewable technologies. Our “merchant” cost model uses

assumptions that commercial investors would be expected

to use today, with parameters based on actual experience

rather than engineering estimates of what might be achieved

under ideal conditions; it compares the constant or “levelized”

price of electricity over the life of a power plant that

would be necessary to cover all operating expenses and taxes

and provide an acceptable return to investors. The comparative

figures given below assume 85% capacity factor and a

40-year economic life for the nuclear plant, reflect economic

conditions in the U.S, and consider a range of projected

improvements in nuclear cost factors. (See Table.)

We judge the indicated cost improvements for nuclear power to be plausible,

but not proven. The model results make clear why electricity produced from

new nuclear power plants today is not competitive with electricity produced

from coal or natural gas-fueled CCGT plants with low or moderate gas prices,

unless all cost improvements for nuclear power are realized. The cost comparison

becomes worse for nuclear if the capacity factor falls. It is also important

to emphasize that the nuclear cost structure is driven by high up-front capital

costs, while the natural gas cost driver is the fuel cost; coal lies in between

nuclear and natural gas with respect to both fuel and capital costs.

Nuclear does become more competitive by comparison if

the social cost of carbon emissions is internalized, for example

through a carbon tax or an equivalent “cap and trade”

system. Under the assumption that the costs of carbon

emissions are imposed, the accompanying table illustrates

the impact on the competitive costs for different power

sources, for emission costs in the range of $50 to $200/tonne

carbon. (See Table.) The ultimate cost will depend on both

societal choices (such as how much carbon dioxide emission

REAL LEVELIZED COST

Cents/kWe-hr

Nuclear (LWR)

+ Reduce construction cost 25%

+ Reduce construction time 5 to 4 years

+ Further reduce O&M to 13 mills/kWe-hr

+ Reduce cost of capital to gas/coal

Pulverized Coal

CCGTa (low gas prices, $3.77/MCF)

CCGT (moderate gas prices, $4.42/MCF)

CCGT (high gas prices, $6.72/MCF)

CASE

(Year 2002 $)

a. Gas costs reflect real, levelized acquisition cost per thousand cubic feet (MCF) over

the economic life of the project.

Comparative Power Costs

$50/tonne C

Coal

Gas (low)

Gas (moderate)

Gas (high)

CARBON TAX CASES

LEVELIZED ELECTRICITY

COST

cents/kWe-hr $100/tonne C

$200/tonne C

Power Costs with Carbon Taxes

8 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

to permit) and technology developments, such as the cost and feasibility of

large-scale carbon capture and long-term sequestration. Clearly, costs in the

range of $100 to $200/tonne C would significantly affect the relative cost

competitiveness of coal, natural gas, and nuclear electricity generation.

The carbon-free nature of nuclear power argues for government action to

encourage maintenance of the nuclear option, particularly in light of the regulatory

uncertainties facing the use of nuclear power and the unwillingness of

investors to bear the risk of introducing a new generation of nuclear facilities

with their high capital costs.

We recommend three actions to improve the economic viability of nuclear

power:

The government should cost share for site banking for a number of plants,

certification of new plant designs by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission,

and combined construction and operating licenses for plants built immediately

or in the future; we support U.S. Department of Energy initiatives on

these subjects.

The government should recognize nuclear as carbon-free and include new

nuclear plants as an eligible option in any federal or state mandatory

renewable energy portfolio (i.e., a “carbon-free” portfolio) standard.

The government should provide a modest subsidy for a small set of “first

mover” commercial nuclear plants to demonstrate cost and regulatory feasibility

in the form of a production tax credit.

We propose a production tax credit of up to $200 per kWe of the construction

cost of up to 10 “first mover” plants. This benefit might be paid out at

about 1.7 cents per kWe-hr, over a year and a half of full-power plant operation.

We prefer the production tax credit mechanism because it offers the

greatest incentive for projects to be completed and because it can be extended

to other carbon free electricity technologies, for example renewables, (wind

currently enjoys a 1.7 cents per kWe-hr tax credit for ten years) and coal with

carbon capture and sequestration. The credit of 1.7 cents per kWe- hr is

equivalent to a credit of $70 per avoided metric ton of carbon if the electricity

were to have come from coal plants (or $160 from natural gas plants). Of

course, the carbon emission reduction would then continue without public

assistance for the plant life (perhaps 60 years for nuclear). If no new nuclear

plant is built, the government will not pay a subsidy.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 9

These actions will be effective in stimulating additional investment in nuclear generating

capacity if, and only if, the industry can live up to its own expectations of being able to

reduce considerably capital costs for new plants.

Advanced fuel cycles add considerably to the cost of nuclear electricity.We considered

reprocessing and one-pass fuel recycle with current technology, and found the fuel cost,

including waste storage and disposal charges, to be about 4.5 times the fuel cost of the

once-through cycle. Thus use of advanced fuel cycles imposes a significant economic

penalty on nuclear power.

SAFETY

We believe the safety standard for the global growth scenario should maintain today’s

standard of less than one serious release of radioactivity accident for 50 years from all

fuel cycle activity. This standard implies a ten-fold reduction in the expected frequency

of serious reactor core accidents, from 10-4/reactor year to 10-5/reactor year. This reactor

safety standard should be possible to achieve in new light water reactor plants that make

use of advanced safety designs. International adherence to such a standard is important,

because an accident in any country will influence public attitudes everywhere. The extent

to which nuclear facilities should be hardened to possible terrorist attack has yet to be

resolved.

We do not believe there is a nuclear plant design that is totally risk free. In part, this is

due to technical possibilities; in part due to workforce issues. Safe operation requires

effective regulation, a management committed to safety, and a skilled work force.

The high temperature gas-cooled reactor is an interesting candidate for reactor research

and development because there is already some experience with this system, although

not all of it is favorable. This reactor design offers safety advantages because the high

heat capacity of the core and fuel offers longer response times and precludes excessive

temperatures that might lead to release of fission products; it also has an advantage compared

to light water reactors in terms of proliferation resistance.

These actions will be effective in

stimulating additional investment in

nuclear generating capacity if, and only

if, the industry can live up to its own

expectations of being able to reduce

considerably overnight capital costs

for new plants.

10 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

Because of the accidents at Three Mile Island in 1979 and Chernobyl in 1986,

a great deal of attention has focused on reactor safety. However, the safety

record of reprocessing plants is not good, and there has been little safety

analysis of fuel cycle facilities using, for example, the probabilistic risk assessment

method.More work is needed here.

Our principal recommendation on safety is:

The government should, as part of its near-term R&D program, develop

more fully the capabilities to analyze life-cycle health and safety impacts

of fuel cycle facilities and focus reactor development on options that can

achieve enhanced safety standards and are deployable within a couple of

decades.

WASTE MANAGEMENT

The management and disposal of high-level radioactive spent fuel from the

nuclear fuel cycle is one of the most intractable problems facing the nuclear

power industry throughout the world. No country has yet successfully implemented

a system for disposing of this waste.We concur with the many independent

expert reviews that have concluded that geologic repositories will be

capable of safely isolating the waste from the biosphere. However, implementation

of this method is a highly demanding task that will place great stress

on operating, regulatory, and political institutions.

For fifteen years the U.S. high-level waste management

program has focused almost exclusively on the proposed

repository site at Yucca Mountain in Nevada. Although

the successful commissioning of the Yucca Mountain

repository would be a significant step towards the secure

disposal of nuclear waste, we believe that a broader,

strategically balanced nuclear waste program is needed to

prepare the way for a possible major expansion of the

nuclear power sector in the U.S. and overseas.

The global growth scenario, based on the once-through fuel cycle, would

require multiple disposal facilities by the year 2050. To dispose of the spent

fuel from a steady state deployment of one thousand 1 GWe reactors of the

light water type, new repository capacity equal to the nominal storage capacity

of Yucca Mountain would have to be created somewhere in the world every

three to four years. This requirement, along with the desire to reduce longterm

risks from the waste, prompts interest in advanced, closed fuel cycles.

We do not believe a convincing case can

be made, on the basis of waste management

considerations alone, that the

benefits of advanced, closed fuel cycles

will outweigh the attendant safety,

environmental, and security risks and

economic costs.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 11

These schemes would separate or partition plutonium and other actinides —

and possibly certain fission products — from the spent fuel and transmute

them into shorter-lived and more benign species. The goals would be to

reduce the thermal load from radioactive decay of the waste on the repository,

thereby increasing its storage capacity, and to shorten the time for which

the waste must be isolated from the biosphere.

We have analyzed the waste management implications of both once-through

and closed fuel cycles, taking into account each stage of the fuel cycle and the

risks of radiation exposure in both the short and long-term.We do not believe

that a convincing case can be made on the basis of waste management considerations

alone that the benefits of partitioning and transmutation will outweigh the

attendant safety, environmental, and security risks and economic costs.
Future

technology developments could change the balance of expected costs, risks,

and benefits. For our fundamental conclusion to change, however, not only

would the expected long term risks from geologic repositories have to be significantly

higher than those indicated in current assessments, but the incremental

costs and short-term safety and environmental risks would have to be

greatly reduced relative to current expectations and experience.

We further conclude that waste management strategies in the once-through

fuel cycle are potentially available that could yield long-term risk reductions

at least as great as those claimed for waste partitioning and transmutation,

with fewer short-term risks and lower development and deployment costs.

These include both incremental improvements to the current mainstream

mined repositories approach and more far-reaching innovations such as deep

borehole disposal. Finally, replacing the current ad hoc approach to spent fuel

storage at reactor sites with an explicit strategy to store spent fuel for a period

of several decades will create additional flexibility in the waste management

system.

Our principal recommendations on waste management are:

The DOE should augment its current focus on Yucca Mountain with a

balanced long-term waste management R&D program.

A research program should be launched to determine the viability of

geologic disposal in deep boreholes within a decade.

A network of centralized facilities for storing spent fuel for several decades

should be established in the U.S. and internationally.

12 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

NONPROLIFERATION

Nuclear power should not expand unless the risk of proliferation from operation

of the commercial nuclear fuel cycle is made acceptably small.We believe

that nuclear power can expand as envisioned in our global growth scenario

with acceptable incremental proliferation risk, provided that reasonable safeguards

are adopted and that deployment of reprocessing and enrichment are

restricted. The international community must prevent the acquisition of

weapons-usable material, either by diversion (in the case of plutonium) or by

misuse of fuel cycle facilities (including related facilities, such as research

reactors or hot cells). Responsible governments must control, to the extent

possible, the know-how relevant to produce and process either highly

enriched uranium (enrichment technology) or plutonium.

Three issues are of particular concern: existing stocks of separated plutonium

around the world that are directly usable for weapons; nuclear facilities, for

example in Russia, with inadequate controls; and transfer

of technology, especially enrichment and reprocessing

technology, that brings nations closer to a nuclear

weapons capability. The proliferation risk of the global

growth scenario is underlined by the likelihood that use

of nuclear power would be introduced and expanded in

many countries in different security circumstances.

An international response is required to reduce the proliferation risk. The

response should:

re-appraise and strengthen the institutional underpinnings of the IAEA safeguards

regime in the near term, including sanctions;

guide nuclear fuel cycle development in ways that reinforce shared nonproliferation

objectives.

Nuclear power should not expand unless

the risk of proliferation from operation of

the commercial nuclear fuel cycle is made

acceptably small.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 13

Accordingly, we recommend:

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) should focus overwhelmingly

on its safeguards function and should be given the authority to carry out

inspections beyond declared facilities to suspected illicit facilities;

Greater attention must be given to the proliferation risks at the front end

of the fuel cycle from enrichment technologies;

IAEA safeguards should move to an approach based on continuous materials

protection, control and accounting using surveillance and containment

systems, both in facilities and during transportation, and should implement

safeguards in a risk-based framework keyed to fuel cycle activity;

Fuel cycle analysis, research, development, and demonstration efforts

must include explicit analysis of proliferation risks and measures defined

to minimize proliferation risks;

International spent fuel storage has significant nonproliferation benefits

for the growth scenario and should be negotiated promptly and implemented

over the next decade.

ANALYSIS, RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT, AND DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) analysis, research, development, and

demonstration (ARD&D) program should support the technology path leading

to the global growth scenario and include diverse activities that balance

risk and time scales, in pursuit of the strategic objective of preserving the

nuclear option. For technical, economic, safety, and public acceptance reasons,

the highest priority in fuel cycle ARD&D, deserving first call on available funds,

lies with efforts that enable robust deployment of the once-through fuel cycle

The current DOE program does not have this focus.

Every industry in the United States develops basic analytical models and tools

such as spreadsheets that allow firms, investors, policy makers, and regulators

to understand how changes in the parameters of a process will affect the performance

and cost of that process. But we have been struck throughout our

study by the absence of such models and simulation tools that permit indepth,

quantitative analysis of trade-offs between different reactor and fuel

14 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

cycle choices, with respect to all key criteria. The analysis we have seen is

based on point designs and does not incorporate information about the cost

and performance of operating commercial nuclear facilities. Such modeling

and analysis under a wide variety of scenarios, for both open and closed fuel

cycles, will be useful to the industry and investors, as well as to international

discussions about the desirability about different fuel cycle paths.

We call on the Department of Energy, perhaps in collaboration with other countries,

to establish a major project for the modeling, analysis, and simulation of

commercial nuclear power systems — The Nuclear System Modeling Project.

This project should provide a foundation for the accumulation

of information about how variations in the

operation of plants and other parts of the fuel cycle

affect costs, safety, waste, and proliferation resistance

characteristics. The models and analysis should be based

on real engineering data and, wherever possible, practical

experience. This project is technically demanding and

will require many years and considerable resources to be

carried out successfully.

We believe that development of advanced nuclear technologies — either fast

reactors or advanced fuel cycles employing reprocessing – should await the

results of the Nuclear System Modeling Project we have proposed above. Our

analysis makes clear that there is ample time for the project to compile the

necessary engineering and economic analyses and data before undertaking

expensive development programs, even if the project should take a decade to

complete. Expensive programs that plan for the development or deployment

of commercial reprocessing based on any existing advanced fuel cycle technologies

are simply not justified on the basis of cost, or the unproven safety,

proliferation risk, and waste properties of a closed cycle compared to the

once-through cycle. Reactor concept evaluation should be part of the Nuclear

System Modeling Project.

On the other hand, we support a modest laboratory scale research and analysis

program on new separation methods and associated fuel forms, with the

objective of learning about approaches that emphasize lower cost and more

proliferation resistance. These data can be important inputs to advanced fuel

cycle analysis and simulation and thus help prioritize future development

programs.

The modeling project’s research and analysis effort should only encompass

technology pathways that do not produce weapons-usable material during

normal operation (for example, by leaving some uranium, fission products,

For technical, economic, safety, and

public acceptance reasons, the highest

priority in fuel cycle R&D, deserving

first call on available funds, lies with

efforts that enable robust deployment

of the once-through fuel cycle.

C h a p t e r 1 — T h e Fu t u r e o f Nu c l e a r Powe r — O v e r v i ew a n d Co n c l u s i o n s 15

and/or minor actinides with the recycled plutonium). The closed fuel cycle currently

practiced in Western Europe and Japan, known as PUREX/MOX, does not

meet this criterion
. There are advanced closed fuel cycle concepts involving

combinations of reactor, fuel form, and separations technology that satisfy

these conditions and, with appropriate institutional arrangements, can have

significantly better proliferation resistance than the PUREX/MOX fuel cycle,

and perhaps approach that of the open fuel cycle. Accordingly, the governments

of nuclear supplier countries should discourage other nations from

developing and deploying the PUREX/MOX fuel cycle.

Government R&D support for advanced design LWRs and for the High

Temperature Gas Reactor (HTGR) is justified because these are the two reactor

types that are most likely to play a role in any nuclear expansion. R&D support

for advanced design LWRs should focus on measures that reduce construction

and operating cost. Because the High Temperature Gas Reactor (HTGR) has

potential advantages with respect to safety, proliferation resistance, modularity

and efficiency, government research and limited development support to

resolve key uncertainties, for example, the performance of HTGR fuel forms in

reactors and gas power conversion cycle components, is warranted.

Waste management also calls for a significant, and redirected, ARD&D program.

The DOE waste program, understandably, has been singularly focused

for the past several years on the Yucca Mountain project.We believe DOE

must broaden its waste R&D effort or run the risk of being unable to rigorously

defend its choices for waste disposal sites.More attention needs to be

given to the characterization of waste forms and engineered

barriers, followed by development and testing of

engineered barrier systems.We believe deep boreholes, as

an alternative to mined repositories, should be aggressively

pursued. These issues are inherently of international

interest in the growth scenario and should be pursued

in such a context.

There is opportunity for international cooperation in this ARD&D program

on safety, waste, and the Nuclear System Modeling Project. A particularly pertinent

effort is the development, deployment, and operation of a word wide

materials protection, control, and accounting tracking system. There is no

currently suitable international organization for this development task. A possible

approach lies with the G-8 as a guiding body.

Our global growth scenario envisions an open fuel cycle architecture at least

until mid-century or so, with the advanced closed fuel cycles possibly

deployed later, but only if significant improvements are realized through

The closed fuel cycle currently practiced

in Western Europe and Japan, known

as PUREX/MOX, does not meet this

nonproliferation criterion.

16 MIT STUDY ON THE FUTURE OF NUCLEAR POWER

research. The principal driver of this conclusion is our judgment that natural uranium

ore is available at reasonable prices to support the open cycle at least to late in the century

in a scenario of substantial expansion. This gives the open cycle clear economic

advantage with proliferation resistance an important additional feature. The DOE should

undertake a global uranium resource evaluation program to determine with greater confidence

the uranium resource base around the world.

Accordingly, we recommend:

The U.S. Department of Energy should focus its R&D program on the once-through fuel

cycle;

The U.S. Department of Energy should establish a Nuclear System Modeling project to

carryout the analysis, research, simulation, and collection of engineering data needed

to evaluate all fuel cycles from the viewpoint of cost, safety, waste management, and

proliferation resistance;

The U.S. Department of Energy should undertake an international uranium resource

evaluation program;

The U.S. Department of Energy should broaden its waste management R&D program;

The U.S. Department of Energy should support R&D that reduces Light Water Reactor

(LWR) costs and for development of the HTGR for electricity application.

We believe that the ARD&D program proposed here is aligned with the strategic objective

of enabling a credible growth scenario over the next several decades. Such a ARD&D

program requires incremental budgets of almost $400 million per year over the next 5

years, and at least $460 million per year for the 5-10 year period.

No one in this thread replied that Nuclear Reactor is the future, Let me reiterate this again, Nuclear Power is the future, the only question is how quickly we can bring Thorium based reactors. For those who are batting for Wind, Sun and other sources, the current technology that is available for this is expensive and not mass suitable, and instead of focusing on this R&D, I will prefer if govt focus on quick start of thorium reactors.
@dadeechi itna lamba post? , kam se kam hum jaise mobile users liye bhi soch liya karo, sala scroll karne mein hi battery 2% down ho gaya

No one in this thread replied that Nuclear Reactor is the future, Let me reiterate this again, Nuclear Power is the future, the only question is how quickly we can bring Thorium based reactors. For those who are batting for Wind, Sun and other sources, the current technology that is available for this is expensive and not mass suitable, and instead of focusing on this R&D, I will prefer if govt focus on quick start of thorium reactors.
@dadeechi itna lamba post? , kam se kam hum jaise mobile users liye bhi soch liya karo, sala scroll karne mein hi battery 2% down ho gaya

Wind and Solar will be the future, only if we overhaul the existing Grid system.

@MaarKhoor
Sir, i respect your opinion on use of certain types of energy sources and will therefore not argue with your standing here. But since the arguments have turned unpleasant, i would like to put up two points:
  1. Developing countries like ours having a huge population base and growing energy needs, we require large and concentrate sources of energy like fossil fuels and nuclear. while it is true that both have inherent disadvantages wrt to pollution and statistical risks of radiological hazards, but they are required for development. surely close to 1.3 billion people in India cant rely on wind or solar power alone, especially industry and transport.
  2. Once Paris agreement on GHG cutting comes into force, we might be forced to shutdown old TPP and will be left with little choice in hand.
Western countries have little growth in energy demand and they can easily survive on renewable sources of energy even with high pet capita energy use and lets face it developing nations, as in words of our ex PM Dr. Manmohan Singh, Donot have the luxury of choice.
The answer to above problem, IMHO, lies in improving quality, skills of personnel manning these utilities and a markedly improved safety culture. i hope as an electrical engineer yourself, you would appreciate it.

@Abingdonboy @Skull and Bones @waz @WAJsal @AUSTERLITZ

BS Nuclear power is a safe option if all the protocols are followed. Don't forget that Chernobyl & Fukushima happened bcuz certain rules were broken

Back
Top Bottom