What's new

Head of Sri Lankan Buddhist group calls on Modi to rule India like Ashoka

An off topic question, but no one has given me an answer yet:

Where did the Sri in Sri Lanka come from?

Who are Shimlas?

According to the Mahavamsa, the Sinhalese are descended from the exiled Prince Vijaya and his party of seven hundred followers who arrived on the island in 543 BCE. Vijaya and his followers were said to have arrived in Sri Lanka after being exiled from the city of Sinhapura in West Bengal, East India.

They are Bihari-Bengali descendant... They are us.. They are my bloods... They are Indian descendant...

Genetic_relationship_of_Sinhalese_to_other_ethnic_groups_in_a_dendogram.PNG

Who are Shimlas?

According to the Mahavamsa, the Sinhalese are descended from the exiled Prince Vijaya and his party of seven hundred followers who arrived on the island in 543 BCE. Vijaya and his followers were said to have arrived in Sri Lanka after being exiled from the city of Sinhapura in West Bengal, East India.

They are Bihari-Bengali descendant... They are us.. They are my bloods... They are Indian descendant...

That's fine and all but it doesn't answer my question of where Sri in Sri Lanka comes from.

That's fine and all but it doesn't answer my question of where Sri in Sri Lanka comes from.

There is no proof or any historical fact or even mentioned in books to say that Present day Sri Lanka is the same Lanka mentioned in Ramayana.
Lanka is an old name. However Sri Lanka came into usage that means became official once, SL became a republic in 72.
Sri Lanka means resplendent (Sri) + Island (Lanka). Both are sanskrit terms. Tamil name, Elangai, is the tamilized form of Lanka. In Sinhala we call, Lakdiva, Laka, Lankadeepa,....

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom