What's new

Has Israel lost lone regional Muslim ally Turkey?

1) In early 80s, Turkey had recalled its Ambassador to Israel over Israeli attack on Lebanon. And that recall lasted almost a decade!
2) In mid-90s, Turkey significantly supported the Bosnians against the Serbs during the siege of Sarajevo.
On both occasions AKP was not in power.
The fact is that Turkey is finally democratizing now, if democracy means respecting the voice of the majority. The looming shadow of the 'deep state' is receding and that makes some people nervous.
But this is not some return to Ottoman rule at all. Turkey is not only only its natural Middle Eastern/Islamic leaning but is also very consciously expanding its markets in both north, south, and west (perhaps to east as well, if Central Asia is also involved?).
I think EjazR has made some very compelling arguments about the secular-fascism which prevented wearing of the Hijab in many cases in Turkey. Erdogan is merely righting what was grossly wrong.

^^Quite correct Meengla

Not only Turkey, we see the same oppressive regimes in Syria, Algeria, Tunisia e.t.c For example in Tunisia, Jews are allowed to have beards and wear conservatives clothes as per their religion and even have separate schools for girls and boys, while Muslims are forced to wear skirts, not wear scarves and attend co-ed schools. It is the lack of democracy and free speech that is a major impediment for the Arab world to stand on its feet. And until Western supported regimes continue to monopolies all political activities this will be the case.

Ask anyone in Turkey whether they are extremists or not, they hate the situation in Israel. That has nothing to do with AKP being Islamist. You guys have so many excuses but you dont even have a clue about Turkish people.

Yeah, i dont like the situation but i think its israel's fault. I mean their unnecessary violence in gaza feeding radical islamism in everywhere not just Turkey but Turkey is only secularist muslim state in the world theese things mostly effect Turkey if you are not blind you must see this.

And if west thinks they are losing Turkey they must look for the reason in themselves. We been waiting at EUs doors for years cmon man! Its an insult to Republic of Turkey...

Israel already lost its ally Turkey when Islamists took over the control of turkey. Entire flotilla drama is just an excuse for Turkish Islamists to cut off relation with Israel.

please do care reading the article with open eyes before posting any of your "gracious:angry:" views. Turkey is a better democracy and a much much better secular society than India. They dont kill minorities. Their Army protects Secularism unlike yours in which almost every year we have officer arrested for extremism

please do care reading the article with open eyes before posting any of your "gracious:angry:" views. Turkey is a better democracy and a much much better secular society than India. They dont kill minorities. Their Army protects Secularism unlike yours in which almost every year we have officer arrested for extremism
Hasnain....His view was perticularly on the situation than comparing btn countries.

And what you are saying is without a base. I wont say we are the best democracy, but yes we are a much better democracy than we were in 80s-90s and and much better democracy than other countries...

You are also wrong in saying we killed minorities. However I wont talk much on this as this will go in different tangents:).....lets focus on the topic.

Hasnain....His view was perticularly on the situation than comparing btn countries.

And what you are saying is without a base. I wont say we are the best democracy, but yes we are a much better democracy than we were in 80s-90s and and much better democracy than other countries...

You are also wrong in saying we killed minorities. However I wont talk much on this as this will go in different tangents:).....lets focus on the topic.

but the way to express his views was highly inadequate

the main question,do Israel care about it?

depends on the philosophy of Israel.......losing an ally in region full of enemies....don't think Israelis would be that insane

Back
Top Bottom