What's new

Happy Onam to all Mallu's

How come Malayalam has an entirely new word for Tiger that's not found in Tamil or Kannada?
Monkey is kurangu/korangu in Malayalam/Tamil but kothi in Kannada...deer is maan in Tamil/Malayalam but jinke in Kannada..Pig is panni(panri) in Malayalam/Tamil but a totally strange word 'handhi' in Kannada etc...etc...
Also another strange thing i noticed that some 'same names' has entirely different meaning in Kannada and Malayalam..
gili means parrot in Kannada(Also kili in Tamil)..but in Malayalam 'kili' means 'bird'...
also hakki in Kannada means 'bird' but in Malayalam 'pakki' means 'butterfly moth'...

View attachment 44730

Next Kunjali Kutty in the making. :lol::lol:

Joking!! :enjoy:

Aaah!
Yes Kaduva means tiger.
But then pulli means dotted so pulli-puli should mean leopard and not jaguar.
but leopard,jaguars,cheetahs all have pullis in their bodies...

I used to walk infront of that parlor every day :P......
1996-97 kaalakhattakalill athillekoode nadakkumaayiruno??
onnu oorthu nokikke??;

Last edited:
Monkey is kurangu/korangu in Malayalam/Tamil but kothi in Kannada...deer is maan in Tamil/Malayalam but jinke in Kannada..Pig is panni(panri) in Malayalam/Tamil but a totally strange word 'handhi' in Kannada etc...etc...
Also another strange thing i noticed that some 'same names' has entirely different meaning in Kannada and Malayalam..
gili means parrot in Kannada(Also kili in Tamil)..but in Malayalam 'kili' means 'bird'...
also hakki in Kannada means 'bird' but in Malayalam 'pakki' means 'butterfly moth'...

but leopard,jaguars,cheetahs all have pullis in their bodies...

Handi isn't all that strange a word, isn't it?The pa in Tamil gets converted to Ha in kannada as is obvious in Puli becoming Huli and Paambu becoming Haavu. So also Panri has become handi I guess....Jinke though, is quite unique.

Handi isn't all that strange a word, isn't it?The pa in Tamil gets converted to Ha in kannada as is obvious in Puli becoming Huli and Paambu becoming Haavu. So also Panri has become handi I guess....Jinke though, is quite unique.
ohh...probably from the dravida root word Pandi.'Pandi 'means pig in telegu(and also used in some Tamil dialects) i guess....

ohh...probably from the dravida root word Pandi.'Pandi 'means pig in telegu(and also used in some Tamil dialects) i guess....

Pandi, we use to call tamilians..it is really arrived from 'pandya' (dynasty)

but leopard,jaguars,cheetahs all have pullis in their bodies;

My mistake!
I got confused between the panthers and Jaguars (I guess panthers dont have the spots) I had completely forgotten about the rosettes and the spots in them.
I had this on my mind instead ... :)
image.jpg

1996-97 kaalakhattakalill athillekoode nadakkumaayiruno??
onnu oorthu nokikke??;

1996-97???? No i dont think so.... Prior to that and after to that....... I used to live in a housing society opposite to beach, and this parlor was near beach hospital (east - north side) so the shortcut to 4th gate and mananchira was thru this road......

Pandi, we use to call tamilians..it is really arrived from 'pandya' (dynasty)
u r a Malayali??..
we use to call them 'konga' in Bangalore,because most of the earlier Tamil settlers/workers in Bangalore were from kongunadu(Coimbatore-salem belt) region of Tamilnadu....

1996-97???? No i dont think so.... Prior to that and after to that....... I used to live in a housing society opposite to beach, and this parlor was near beach hospital (east - north side) so the shortcut to 4th gate and mananchira was thru this road......
Chettante vepraalam pidichulla vishadheekaranam kaanumbol endho pandhikedu thonnunallo??
hmmm..Chettanu pala shortcutukalum ariyaamenu thonnunu...

Last edited:
u r a Malayali??..
we use to call them 'konga' in Bangalore,because most of the earlier Tamil settlers/workers in Bangalore were from kongunadu(Coimbatore-salem belt) region of Tamilnadu....

Chettante vepraalam pidichulla vishadheekaranam kaanumbol endho pandhikedu thonnunallo??
hmmm..Chettanu pala shortcutukalum ariyaamenu thonnunu...

10 -11 vayassullappozha avide karangiyirunnathu..... Aaa prayathil ice cream bayangara ishtamayrinnu :P

Back
Top Bottom