What's new

'Handshake in the open' may see $1.5 billion defence deals with Israel

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
India is close to finalizing several major defence deals with Israel, including the ones for two additional Phalcon AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) and four aerostat radars, together worth well over $1.5 billion (Rs 9,330 crore).

This comes even as Israeli defence minister Moshe Ya'alon is all set to touch down in India on Tuesday, the first such ministerial visit after the two countries established full diplomatic ties in 1992, as earlier reported by TOI. Ya'alon, accompanied by director-general of his ministry Major Gen (retd) Dan Harel and CEOs of Israeli arms companies, will hold meetings with his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar and others as well as visit the Aero-India show at Bengaluru from February 18 to 22.

It marks a significant departure from the long-standing policy to keep the expansive bilateral military ties under wraps due to international and domestic political sensitivities despite Israel being among the top three defence suppliers to India since the 1999 Kargil conflict.

46269676.cms

From Heron and Searcher UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), Harop "killer" drones and Green Pine radars to Python and Derby air-to-air missiles and Crystal Maze precision-guided munitions, as well as several joint projects, Israel has notched up sales worth over $10 billion to India.

The figure will only head further north, with the finance ministry now vetting the acquisition of two more Phalcon AWACS or "eyes in the sky" that can detect incoming fighters, cruise missiles and drones much before ground-based radars.

The AWACS, with a 400km range and 360-degree coverage, also act as potent force-multipliers by directing air defence fighters during combat operations with enemy jets. "The CNC (contract negotiations committee) has been concluded. After the finance ministry, it will be sent to the cabinet committee on security for the final nod," said a source.

India already has three Phalcon AWACS in the shape of Israeli early-warning radar suites mounted on Russian IL-76 aircraft, which were inducted under a $1.1 billion tripartite agreement among India, Israel and Russia in 2004.

Similarly, India is now finalizing the acquisition of four more aerostat radars, which are basically sensors mounted on blimp-like large balloons tethered to the ground, after inducting two such EL/M-2083 radars in 2004-2005 under a $145-million deal.

In recent months, India has gone in for acquisition of 250 Israeli Spice missiles or "stand-off autonomous air-to-ground weapon systems" for fighter jets and two additional "troops" of Heron medium altitude, long-endurance UAVs.

In October, India also rejected the hard-sell by the US for its Javelin anti-tank guided missiles by clearing an initial purchase of 321 Israeli Spike ATGM launchers and 8,356 missiles for Rs 3,200 crore.

While the US is still pushing India for co-development and co-production of the next-generation of Javelin ATGMs, Israel could eventually bag the mega Indian project for large-scale indigenous manufacture of the tank-killers by defence PSU Bharat Dynamics. The Army, after all, wants to equip all its 382 infantry battalions and 44 mechanized infantry units with the fire-and-forget ATGMs.

'Handshake in the open' may see $1.5 billion defence deals with Israel - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Israel has always been India's friend and reliable partner. There should be more co-operation and collaboration between the two countries for bolstering each others' defence. :laugh:

It would be interesting to note how the requirement of additional 2 AWACS is being met. Last heard IAF wanted to look beyond IL 76 platform and will Israel offer another radar package for the system.

I say go to hell.

Palestine or fake high morality is not important to me for sacrificing indian geopolitics and national security.

And what about the principled stand of the founding fathers of Indian independence who recognized a sovereign and free Palestinian state ? On that note, if Apartheid South Africa was still in existence, would you have supported defense and other ties with that state which was quite a powerful military state with state of the art defense projects? That would after all be in the best interests of India's geopolitiks and national security

And what about the principled stand of the founding fathers of Indian independence who recognized a sovereign and free Palestinian state ? On that note, if Apartheid South Africa was still in existence, would you have supported defense and other ties with that state which was quite a powerful military state with state of the art defense projects? That would after all be in the best interests of India's geopolitiks and national security
Founding father. Seriously? How much America following policies of Abraham Lincoln? Thats a baloney. The govt. is for protecting its own citizens and people, not of other, and making allies according to that,

BTW, how much time you seen palestine even taking a simple stand for India in international politics, leave the international politics, even in arab politics. And how many times you actually seen Palestine taking stand against India?

And how many times you seen Israel taking stand for India?

I dont want to go in Palestine foreign policy, but its a one of the most crappiest FP in world.

Founding father. Seriously? How much America following policies of Abraham Lincoln? Thats a baloney. The govt. is for protecting its own citizens and people, not of other, and making allies according to that,

BTW, how much time you seen palestine even taking a simple stand for India in international politics, leave the international politics, even in arab politics. And how many times you actually seen Palestine taking stand against India?

And how many times you seen Israel taking stand for India?

I dont want to go in Palestine foreign policy, but its a one of the most crappiest FP in world.

How do you expect Palestine to take a stand for India in international politics when it is isolated in international politics by Israel ?

Israel has come to India's assistance occasionally but let's not forget that India is a worthy customer of Israel and it makes sense to look after your customer ?

Does Palestine have a foreign policy considering that it is fighting for statehood?

You didn't answer my query on apartheid South Africa ?

How do you expect Palestine to take a stand for India in international politics when it is isolated in international politics by Israel ?

Israel has come to India's assistance occasionally but let's not forget that India is a worthy customer of Israel and it makes sense to look after your customer ?

Does Palestine have a foreign policy considering that it is fighting for statehood?
Yes Palestine has, all are off the record, but yes they have, you will find out on google.

BTW, give me single one use of backing Palestine fully, what benefit it bring to India, and making Israel as enemy?

BTW, before 92, we was actually backing Palestine issue from heart, but what use it bring to India? And after tilting toward Israel, what benefit it bring? Ask the same question from yourself.

Sweet talks is only beneficial for talking and listening, there is no use in practical life.

Yes I have, if it bringing benefit to India.

Sry I had a few experiencees with Palestines in America.....all I can say our support is not appreciated. They will bend over backward for any muslim before they do so for an indian

Sry I had a few experiencees with Palestines in America.....all I can say our support is not appreciated. They will bend over backward for any muslim before they do so for an indian

I am not criticizing or judging you , just querying.

I googled on Palestine relations with India and there doesn't seem to be anything negative from the Palestinians towards India.

I cannot comment on your statement about your personal interactions with Palestinians. I met a Palestinian professor whilst I was in Delhi and he seemed like quite a nice and humble chap.Apart from one or two Palestinian members on this forum, I did not have interactions with any other Palestinians

So, if apartheid South Africa served India's purpose then your view is that India should have traded and had diplomatic relations with that country? Would you still hold that view considering that they subjugated and harshly treated your kin who were their citizens (indentured laborers from current India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) ?

I am not criticizing or judging you , just querying.

I googled on Palestine relations with India and there doesn't seem to be anything negative from the Palestinians towards India.
“Palestinians respect and appreciate that Kashmiris are with us. It boosts our morale and gives us strength to go on in our fight against occupation” | Kashmir Life

Here bro,, what the use of putting nose on others problem, when you not able to solve your own.

So, if apartheid South Africa served India's purpose then your view is that India should have traded and had diplomatic relations with that country? Would you still hold that view considering that they subjugated and harshly treated your kin who were their citizens (indentured laborers from current India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) ?
Dont misjudge me. How the apartheid serve India's purpose?

You taking a scenario, if South Africa still running by white peoples, but as an ally it serving the purpose of India. Then why not, it should be as an Indian ally. But that doesnt means it supporting apartheid.

I think, you not able to grasp realpolitik,

ok, I am going to ask a question, why the western nations has an ally like KSA ( and you know where I pointing out)? Even India is importing oil from KSA.

Back
Top Bottom