What's new

Hambantota Port: Joint venture between China and Sri Lanka begins operations

If China turns the money losing idle port into a cash machine and bring in tons of business opportunities to this general region, I don't see there is any bit of loss for the part of Sri Lanka government. What are better designs for this port by you Indians by the way? China takes much more risk than the Sri Lanka government, every investment involves risks of losing all your money and China decided to take this risk. Sri Lanka, sitting pretty as a landlord, I don't see anything they can lose in this deal.

For one thing, they just lost their port for 99 years :cheesy:

SL is no longer the land lord, china is :P

For one thing, they just lost their port for 99 years :cheesy:

SL is no longer the land lord, china is :P
If I got a money losing business I want to lose it and change it into something that brings in profit of any kind for me, wouldn't you?

If I got a money losing business I want to lose it and change it into something that brings in profit of any kind for me, wouldn't you?

What "money losing business" are you talking about ? The SL port was not losing any money.

Its the chinese investment which was losing money.

Beware of this chinese debt trap.

There is an old saying,

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread".

What "money losing business" are you talking about ? The SL port was not losing any money.

Its the chinese investment which was losing money.
Are you saying this deal is bad for Sri Lanka or bad for China? You comments really puzzled me.

SL just lost their port, so what do you think :cheesy:
Any China is losing the money, it's bad for both China and Sri Lanka .A terrible deal for both countries, no one wins anything from this deal, because both countries are equally stupid, is that you Indians want to say?

Any China is losing the money, it's bad for both China and Sri Lanka .A terrible deal for both countries, no one wins anything from this deal, because both countries are equally stupid, is that you Indians want to say?

China loosing money is BAD for china, not Sri Lanka :cheesy:

It makes no difference to SL.

This is not a win win, SL lost its port and china got for for 99 year lease.

Though the only one who really won is India since India ensured that the port security remains in the hands of SL and not china.

China loosing money is BAD for china, not Sri Lanka :cheesy:

It makes no difference to SL.

This is not a win win, SL lost its port and china got for for 99 year lease.

Though the only one who really won is India since India ensured that the port security remains in the hands of SL and not china.
Oh, great. Congratulations, india.

Future of pakistan. Most of existing assets will be owned by China once they start defaulting on payments.

China is not USA who incidentally gave money and then known for write-offs.

Future of pakistan. Most of existing assets will be owned by China once they start defaulting on payments.

China is not USA who incidentally gave money and then known for write-offs.
China did a lot of write-offs for African countries but I agree that China doesn't do business like that, China invests and makes sure those projects will be making profits, Chinese are good business bunch.

China did a lot of write-offs for African countries but I agree that China doesn't do business like that, China invests and makes sure those projects will be making profits, Chinese are good business bunch.

Chinese are good CAPITALISTS, not good Free Market businessmen.

Both are two different things.

By 2020, the Hambantota port revenue will account for 40% of the Sri Lanka government's revenue and will create 10 thousand direct and more than 60 thousand indirect employment opportunities. Plus China agree to invest 5 billion US dollars to build an Sino-Lanka industrial park in Hambantota.

This is why Sri Lanka government cooperate with China. Hambantota is the 'largest deep sea port' in South Asia.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom