What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCA-Tejas has completed total 1135 test flights successfully

(TD1-233, TD2-305,PV1-204,PV2-125,PV3-144,LSP1-51,LSP2-73)

Aeronautical Development Agency
Do u have any detail about the test coze last time i read the news back in feb about dump bomb testing after that only flight testing result come but no further detail and what about weapon testing & mmr integration which happened in March any new about that.......

13 Jun 2009

BANGALORE: The indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas is on its way to achieving a major milestone in the next few days as a prototype of the aircraft will take to the skies by night. A prototype of the aircraft is expected to carry out extensive night flying activity over Bangalore’s skies to demonstrate its night flying capability next week, sources told Express.

The fly by night will be the second, since the LCA programme was launched in 1983 and its maiden flight in 2001 and is considered a significant test as the technology development agency, the Aeronautical D e v e l o p m e n t Agency (ADA), hopes to get the initial operational clearance before it is inducted into the Indian Air Force by 2010, which plans to have seven LCA squadrons.

The Prototype Vehicle- 3 (PV-3) in November last year took to the skies by night and carried out a set of predetermined manoeuvres to demonstrate its night capability.

ADA had termed the maiden night flying as a flawless flight which will pave the way for systems and weapon integration for delivery by night.

The second fly by night will take place with one of the prototype vehicle sporting new systems for which the ADA, National Flight Testing Centre, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC) and Directorate General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA) have been making preparations.

The LCA has so far completed 1,135 test flights successfully as on June 11 and has been successfully operated from searing hot central Indian airfields at the height of summer as well as the cold environs of a Ladakh winter.

LCA to do star turn, set to take to night skies

Do u have any detail about the test coze last time i read the news back in feb about dump bomb testing after that only flight testing result come but no further detail and what about weapon testing & mmr integration which happened in March any new about that.......

Hi heartwinlion,

Hope the above report answers some of your questions. The LCA has also successfully fired BVRs. In fact I think I have posted some videos on this thread of LCA firing BVRs. However, these are very preliminary tests as the radar has still not been integrated. A comprehensive trial will be conducted once the radar is integrated.

Btw watch out for news on LCA Navy before the year end or early next year. Two prototypes are being developed, one will be a trainer and other will be a full combat version. A test facility is also being built in Goa mocking the indigenous AC flight deck. The take off in LCA navy will be fully automated! ie the take off will be on auto pilot mode!!! Design wise it will be very similar to the AF LCA with some structural modifications. The nose will be lowered to offer better viewing of the flight deck for the pilot.

Screaming Skull

any update regarding progress of MK2

Hi proud_indian,

First priority for ADA is to get IOC for Mk-I from IAF and CEMILAC. LCA Mk-I will be underpowered with GE F-404. It will not cover the entire flight envelope as specified by the IAF. It will struggle at lower and higher mach. The Mk-I will still be far superior to any of the Migs we operate btw! The LCA will get FOC only with the Mk-2 version, where it will be expected to cover the entire flight envelope with a better engine in either EF-200 (frontrunner) or GE F-414 and Elta EL/M-2052 AESA radar. Mk-2 is expected to enter service only with the first batch of MRCA in 2014-2015. The MRCA itself is very important for Mk-2 as the winner is also expected to provide some sort of consultancy in order to trim the excessive weight problems of LCA. EADS and Mig are ready for that provided we go for the EF or Mig-35. Let s wait and watch!

Hi heartwinlion,

. The LCA has also successfully fired BVRs. In fact I think I have posted some videos on this thread of LCA firing BVRs.

I would like to see these video's. If there is no radar then I doubt they fired anything. the only vid is the R-73 test. Which the ADA site says is a "close range missile"

The LCA will get FOC only with the Mk-2 version, where it will be expected to cover the entire flight envelope with a better engine in either EF-200 (frontrunner) or GE F-414 and Elta EL/M-2052 AESA radar. Mk-2 is expected to enter service only with the first batch of MRCA in 2014-2015. The MRCA itself is very important for Mk-2 as the winner is also expected to provide some sort of consultancy in order to trim the excessive weight problems of LCA. EADS and Mig are ready for that provided we go for the EF or Mig-35. Let s wait and watch!
Isn't EADS already selected as the consultancy partner to fix LCAs weight problems?
Also is it fixed that the Mk 2 version will get Elta 2052 radar, or only a possibilty? Because if we already can get commonality with MMRCA winner on the engine side, why not also on the radar side?

Imo the N-LCA development at the moment is totally unnecessary and causes only delays and costs! Without a highter thrust engine and less weight it can't takeoff. That means we can't produce it before Mk2 is ready, so why that development in between?
We already ordered 16 Mig 29K and around the same number of Sea Harrier were upgraded to be ins service till 2020, so where is the need?
The main fighter on our indigenous carriers will also be Mig 29K, or maybe Rafale/F18SH, so where is the need of that development for only a few numbers?
Not to mention that it will be a less useful fighter anyway, because of less and limited payload that a single engine LCA with ski-jump take off can carry.
Again a typical example for me that we want too much, too fast!

I don’t think the future of N-LCA coze it has lower payload and also navy want small no. maybe around 30-50 plane navy maybe going to order more Mig-29K then we don’t need N-lca by 2015 we have 2 carrier which have the capacity of around 40-50 plane which fulfill by Mig-29 and Harrier. 3AC not come before 2020 at that time we have option to go for F-35 (navy interested), MCA or FGFA. What we need just speed up our lca project and complete at time.

I would like to see these video's. If there is no radar then I doubt they fired anything. the only vid is the R-73 test. Which the ADA site says is a "close range missile"

The R-73 comes closest to a BVR with an operational range of close to 30km. However, as you rightly pointed out it is still a short range missile with no radar assistance. It is basically a heat seeking missile. But, you must understand that these tests are not to verify the performance of the radar or the missile but the aircraft itself. Hence, firing an R-73 comes closest to firing a BVR if one has to analyze the post firing dynamics and stability of the aircraft.

LCA-Tejas has completed 1139 Test Flights successfully. (20-June-09).

LCA has completed 1139 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233, TD2-305,PV1-204,PV2-125,PV3-144,LSP1-52,LSP2-76).
76th flight of Tejas LSP2 occurred on 19th June 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom