What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

ETYJTdcUMAAUOZ5

I had originally taken this pic from a friend's FB page and posted it on an Indian defence website. There is one mistake here, the quartz nose cone is made by Cobham, UK. The previously used Kevlar radome came from HAL, but apparently saw higher electromagnetic losses and so had to be replaced by the one from Cobham.

ETyM4X3VAAUYa1J.jpg:large

SP-18 (previously numbered SP-22, regn. number LA5022) undergoing Engine Ground Run tests. It should fly within a week or so.

Do you have a picture of airforce LCA cockpit,the cockpit does look a bit cramped though.

Cockpit looks much inferior to thunder....

In what way? Just based on the size of the MFDs? In fact, the Tejas has a better view out of the cockpit for the pilot than the JF-17, where the pilot sits lower in the cockpit compared to the Tejas. Rear view is comparatively poorer in both the jets (if you compare to the Rafale, F-16 and Typhoon).

Just FYI, the Tejas cockpit is designed based on the anthropometric data of Indian pilots, hence more suited to Indian pilots than the Russian and Western jets that were designed to their pilots. All the data that the pilot requires is presented on MFDs and the displays are better than those on the upgraded Mirage-2000Is.

Plus, with the DASH HMDS, all the vital flight info is presented to the pilot directly on their helmet visor. That in itself is a huge advantage for any pilot.

It has very less buttons then JF-17. Any idea why???

Not sure what buttons you're referring to. the full-glass cockpit concept is to minimize the number of buttons and switches and allow the pilot to CHOOSE what information to see on the MFDs. The rest of the switches and buttons you see are all related to the various airplane and engine controls that a pilot needs.

Just BTW, the Tejas cockpit is considered to be the most intuitive and pilot friendly cockpits in the IAF. I know this from a Test Pilot, who has flown the upgraded Mirage-2000I and Su-30MKIs.

Do you have a picture of airforce LCA cockpit,the cockpit does look a bit cramped though.

Repeating what I said in an earlier post -

the Tejas cockpit was designed as per the 95th percentile Indian male dimensions. Which means that all cockpit instruments, the pedals, the stick, the seat and pedal adjustments, the MFD distance from the ejection seat, are all designed keeping Indian pilot's height in mind.

If you're 6'4" then this will be a very tight fit for you. But 95% of the pilots in the IAF will not fall in that category and so it really doesn't matter.

In what way? Just based on the size of the MFDs? In fact, the Tejas has a better view out of the cockpit for the pilot than the JF-17, where the pilot sits lower in the cockpit compared to the Tejas. Rear view is comparatively poorer in both the jets (if you compare to the Rafale, F-16 and Typhoon).

Just FYI, the Tejas cockpit is designed based on the anthropometric data of Indian pilots, hence more suited to Indian pilots than the Russian and Western jets that were designed to their pilots. All the data that the pilot requires is presented on MFDs and the displays are better than those on the upgraded Mirage-2000Is.

Plus, with the DASH HMDS, all the vital flight info is presented to the pilot directly on their helmet visor. That in itself is a huge advantage for any pilot.

Not sure what buttons you're referring to. the full-glass cockpit concept is to minimize the number of buttons and switches and allow the pilot to CHOOSE what information to see on the MFDs. The rest of the switches and buttons you see are all related to the various airplane and engine controls that a pilot needs.
Yes I understand there are different types of species of human in West and Indian for cockpit design....Yes I mean in terms of market the customer sees only that extra and larger MFD things....wasn't you go to buy a car from a showroom?....Think in that terms....Rafale,Typhoon,Eagle and Gripen have the best HMD but still look at their cockpit and HUD.....
Also look at the HUD of block 3.
Also look at the position of pilot.
images - 2020-03-28T003709.710.jpeg

As the sitting of pilot is concerned it is sorry to say a senseless argument....And it is not where you can lie

Back
Top Bottom