What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

BuBxRhZ.jpg

MWF Cockpit - Single panel display, side stick

Tejas Mk2:
  • Nose probe eliminated in favour of underbelly probes. Avoids reduction in radar performance.
  • IRST, MAWS.
  • Retractable IFR probe.
  • Large Area Display, Active Side Stick, Light HUD (DLE HUD from BAE, I think).
  • Canards, Wingtip missiles, 1.35m longer, 300mm more wing spacing, 11 hardpoints etc.
  • Station capacity of 1800kg, enabling Rudram-3 SOW.
  • 8 BVR missiles at once.
  • Modified intakes.

It will be difficult as Americans are also in the race and Tejas uses American engines.
The HAL test pilot reporting that Colombia has been considering Tejas to replace their Mirage/Kfir. This time make sure that a proper maintenance contract is signed, to avoid what happened with Ecuador.

Seeing that Colombia likes Israeli weapons, HAL should consider the comprehensive package proposed by Rafael for Tejas. Could easily happen since HAL seems to be close with Israeli lobby.

Tejas Mk2:
  • Nose probe eliminated in favour of underbelly probes. Avoids reduction in radar performance.
  • IRST, MAWS.
  • Retractable IFR probe.
  • Large Area Display, Active Side Stick, Light HUD (DLE HUD from BAE, I think).
  • Canards, Wingtip missiles, 1.35m longer, 300mm more wing spacing, 11 hardpoints etc.
  • Station capacity of 1800kg, enabling Rudram-3 SOW.
  • 8 BVR missiles at once.
  • Modified intakes.
Do u seriously believe this,,,I mean mtow of 17500-18000 kg with GE 414,,with <60Kn dry thrust.
Looks like new manjan they r selling to dpsu bhakts, , they r conveniently setting themselves up for another epic failure.
Perhaps so as to blame inadequate engine for poor performance.n draw salaries another couple of decades.

Why call it tejas its basically a new aircraft
Its not even a gripen NG like evolution its new aircraft
It's very similar to LCA Tejas. Apart from the size/engine/control surfaces, such hw/sw changes are often seen in mid-life upgrades or Block upgrades. Some of the changes are already being retrofitted to Mk1.
11 hardpoints are achieved by using the 2 wingtips and moving the 1 gun to top. Thus, 10+pod+gun.
Mk1/Mk1A already has 7+pod+gun.
The longer fuselage gives space for more sensors and fuel.

It's not too far from the Gripen evolution. A novice may even mistake MWF for LCA if not for the canards. But certainly, the aero will be significantly different. In the end, it's just a name. Upto the makers if to focus on similarity or dissimilarity.

Do u seriously believe this,,,I mean mtow of 17500-18000 kg with GE 414,,with <60Kn dry thrust.
Looks like new manjan they r selling to dpsu bhakts, , they r conveniently setting themselves up for another epic failure.
Perhaps so as to blame inadequate engine for poor performance.n draw salaries another couple of decades.
Indian F404 is a more powerful variant and F414 is likely to be the same. I'm more worried about the govt having no money for orders. If the economy doesn't pickup, chai-biskoot is the least of our worries. If Mk1A isn't signed this DefExpo, there's absolutely no logic in blaming DRDO/ADA/HAL/IAF. The blame rests on GoI and the people.

Last edited:
Indian F404 is a more powerful variant and F414 is likely to be the same. I'm more worried about the govt having no money for orders. If the economy doesn't pickup, chai-biskoot is the least of our worries. If Mk1A isn't signed this DefExpo, there's absolutely no logic in blaming DRDO/ADA/HAL/IAF. The blame rests on GoI and the people.
Didnt know Indian f404 is more powerful, ,more thn 58-60kn dry?
Any official GE link for tht? Or is it just some journo/expert info?

Regarding mk1a,,,, I wudnt waste time let alone order anything based on empty dpsu's talk.
Where is mk1a,,,been listening about it since ages now,,,,,if all technologies r already here,, like they claim,,,why haven't they integrated aesa atleast on some lsp n shown IAF,,they seem to have enuff resources for lca navy n sport(let's get real,,nobody even wants those) ,I mean whr is mk1 foc to begin with??
About mwf,,,only naive fools wud believe tht it's going to come before 12-15 years(i estimate 20 yrs for FOC unlike bhakts who say <10 yrs.)
N those mwf specifications by dpsu, ,,even superior to grippen,,,it's ok to aim high,,lekin kumsekum aukaat bhi toh samjho apni.
Dpsu claims mean nothng more thn just claims.
I mean have u gone through anantha krishnans video(posted on this page) ?
Just listen,, whts the guys saying,it has this ,it has tht,, as if mwf is ready right now :lol: (for a paper plane)
Even dpsu bhakts use, 'shall/will'
Yeh toh ek step aur upar hai.
What a joke

Last edited:
Didnt know Indian f404 is more powerful, ,more thn 58-60kn dry?
Any official GE link for tht? Or is it just some journo/expert info?
Very official. It's the IN20 variant. Highest rated F404. Wet is 84-85kN. Dry is unknown, but those numbers are unlikely. One data point we have is that NLCA Mk1 was jumping off the ship at 63.2kN.

https://www.geaviation.com/military/engines/f404-engine

It's hard to comment on the status of Mk1A. We know that one or two LCA are flying with UTTAM. Jaguar has already integrated 2052. The same is said to be meant for Mk1A. So integration isn't an issue and maybe it already is. No stakeholder has been complaining about it and the general idea is that placing the order should be the next step.

Very official. It's the IN20 variant. Highest rated F404. Wet is 84-85kN. Dry is unknown, but those numbers are unlikely. One data point we have is that NLCA Mk1 was jumping off the ship at 63.2kN.

https://www.geaviation.com/military/engines/f404-engine
Yes wet is 84kn according to ge website.
n i saw tht 60+ kn on the hud takeoff clip.n if i am not wrong,,deck takeoffs r done with afterburners turned on.
So,it makes claims of 60kn dry thrust even more dubious.
Moreover no official confirmation from GE about it.

It's hard to comment on the status of Mk1A. We know that one or two LCA are flying with UTTAM. Jaguar has already integrated 2052. The same is said to be meant for Mk1A. So integration isn't an issue and maybe it already is. No stakeholder has been complaining about it and the general idea is that placing the order should be the next step.
You mean to say dpsu has time n resources for lca navy n sport,,products which have about zero chances of getting customers.
While mk1a may actually see some orders.(domestic n foreign)

But hasn't integrated aesa on mk1 or flown an lsp in mk1a configuration,,,somthng IAF has shown interest in.,,despite the integration apparently being a non issue,,, yeah right.
N btw if it was already done,,, I doubt they wud have missed tht chance to show off.
Like how,"according to sources", every now n thn countries r interested in lca,,, Malaysia, Srilanka, now Columbia.
Come on.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure IAF nor MoD wouldn't go ahead with the F21 given it's always sanction prone and would force us to withdraw all our contracts with Russians. We've seen how pak was denied additional F16's or AH-1Z's on a later note and the most recent victim is Turkey being kicked outta the F-35 project.

Also, MMRCA 2.0 doesn't make sense at this moment since shortlisting a fighter jet would itself take 3-5yrs and a couple more for price negotiation and stuff. We're also well aware that US wouldn't provide significant ToT either. Even if this goes through, the first jet might roll out in a decade by the time which most countries would've moved to 5th gen and pak might potentially get the J-31 as well.

MWF shouldn't take much time since it's a derivative of the LCA and most of the research & test facilities are already in place. MWF should fulfill our SE jet requirement by heavily outsourcing majority of the components while HAL acting only as the lead integrator while ADA could partner with TASL and other private Indian defence firms to fastrack the development of TEDBF, an AF alternative and also the AMCA
The best bet for you folks will be to get a European radar. I heard SELEX makes some really great ones. Take Raven from Gripen. Its made by SELEX, am Italian company. Get the integration with Meteor and AIM120C8 and AIM120D. Let SELEX do it for you and don't bother with all the jumping and pumping about indigenous etc. Integrate that radar in your fighters. Buy massive amounts of such armaments (Meteor, AIM120D). It will also give you a bit of numbers to show to UK and US when it comes to economic ties. It will be a god-like fighter. Working with a competent AWACS, it can take on anything Pakistan and China can throw at you. Don't waste your money buying platforms. Buy competent weapons and targetting systems so long you cann't make few.

On your home front, develop an AESA radar of your own and a bevy of A2A missiles and A2G PGMs and A2G missiles. Look at how China did it. Integrate them with your own AESA radar, also integrate missiles from denel, IAI and France. BAE will not let you do that with their owned missiles, neither will Rayethon. In the end you will have a radar + weapons integrated with your own, french, israel and possibly russian weapons. It will be a formidable selection for any country not aligned with western blocks. You can export it and also use it to build numbers.

The best bet for you folks will be to get a European radar. I heard SELEX makes some really great ones. Take Raven from Gripen. Its made by SELEX, am Italian company. Get the integration with Meteor and AIM120C8 and AIM120D. Let SELEX do it for you and don't bother with all the jumping and pumping about indigenous etc. Integrate that radar in your fighters. Buy massive amounts of such armaments (Meteor, AIM120D). It will also give you a bit of numbers to show to UK and US when it comes to economic ties. It will be a god-like fighter. Working with a competent AWACS, it can take on anything Pakistan and China can throw at you. Don't waste your money buying platforms. Buy competent weapons and targetting systems so long you cann't make few.

On your home front, develop an AESA radar of your own and a bevy of A2A missiles and A2G PGMs and A2G missiles. Look at how China did it. Integrate them with your own AESA radar, also integrate missiles from denel, IAI and France. BAE will not let you do that with their owned missiles, neither will Rayethon. In the end you will have a radar + weapons integrated with your own, french, israel and possibly russian weapons. It will be a formidable selection for any country not aligned with western blocks. You can export it and also use it to build numbers.
Our own AESA called as UTTAM is being tested on LCA. Its scalable.
ASRAAM is selected as the CCM for all platforms.
We already have Derby ER for our A/Cs.
Homegrown AAM known as ASTRA will be inducted soon.
We have bought Elta 2052 AESA radar for our Jaguar and LCA platforms with TOT.

Back
Top Bottom