What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

Mock-up:

EP67aUxVAAEi9VJ.jpeg

@Haris Ali2140 I can't post in the Blk3 thread for awhile. I'll reply here since the same radar is related to Tejas Mk1A. Contract for 54# 2052 has been signed for Jaguars. The first Jaguar D3 has been inducted. The engine will remain old, but other upgrades will stay.

As I warned yesterday, Mk1A contract will not be signed this DefExpo, as per reports.

Good going. Now Mk1 FOC / Trainer delivery will be stretched for years.

Pardon, but why again a delay?
To be fair, the disappointment/delay stems simply from our expectation. It's possible they've to push it to next financial year, which is still 2020. Any further is unforgivable. 2023 is the expected start of Mk1A production.

EQBPuyLUwAA3oxK.jpeg

@Haris Ali2140 I can't post in the Blk3 thread for awhile. I'll reply here since the same radar is related to Tejas Mk1A. Contract for 54# 2052 has been signed for Jaguars. The first Jaguar D3 has been inducted. The engine will remain old, but other upgrades will stay.
So its not scrapped ...
Hiw would this work for an already under powered aircraft

Pardon, but why again a delay?
probably coz its a paper plane as of now,,,n people higher up realised tht dpsu's cant deliver on thr promises.
40 mk1 already ordered r enuff for now,,,Mk1 Foc version is yet to fly.

Mk1a is supposed to be an optimised version of mk1.
No changes in airframe,,major upgrade being the aesa radar.

Like i said if dpsu's were serious ,,they wud have integrated an aesa radar to a lsp n demonstrated tht they can actually do it.
if they can do lca navy/lca sport,,,thn why not mk1a.

Or perhaps despite what people want us to believe,,tejas airframe has serious limitations,,explains the reluctance shown by our nationalistic govt. in signing mk1a deal,,,prompting the dpsu's to come up with mk2(mwf) as the next big thing,,,a totally new aircraft.
While LCA sport/navy being just attempts by dpsu's to save some face for 30 yrs of toiling.

Last edited:
The news about Mk1A contract being imminent came from the current IAF Chief himself. The price has been fixed at ~41million by the MoD after negotiation. I don't think a prototype (i.e. a modified Mk1 LSP) was a pre-requisite.

Or it is now, but it shouldn't be. India has signed many contracts for non-existent things that are upgraded versions of existing things, which is what Mk1A is. There's no drawback in signing the contract. It'll only liven up Mk1 FOC lines.

It's just that the "nationalistic" govt has no money, because who needs that! So of course now the burden has been put on HAL. As per the CDS, procurement of fighters has to be staggered, and there's no money for a third aircraft carrier.

It is certainly not about the aircraft. Its only limitation is range, being light. Otherwise Mk1 is currently the most user friendly and the one with the best A2G scores in the IAF. Imagine what the addition of an AESAR etc. would do.

The news about Mk1A contract being imminent came from the current IAF Chief himself. The price has been fixed at ~41million by the MoD after negotiation. I don't think a prototype (i.e. a modified Mk1 LSP) was a pre-requisite.

Or it is now, but it shouldn't be. India has signed many contracts for non-existent things that are upgraded versions of existing things, which is what Mk1A is. There's no drawback in signing the contract. It'll only liven up Mk1 FOC lines.

It's just that the "nationalistic" govt has no money, because who needs that! So of course now the burden has been put on HAL. As per the CDS, procurement of fighters has to be staggered, and there's no money for a third aircraft carrier.

It is certainly not about the aircraft. Its only limitation is range, being light. Otherwise Mk1 is currently the most user friendly and the one with the best A2G scores in the IAF. Imagine what the addition of an AESAR etc. would do.
Does delaying orders increases price also???

Yeah i can imagine,,,its already best in class,after AESA it wud be the new raptor of east.Makes sense ,afterall tht post is vacant since last Feb.
Thankfully the govt doesnt seem to have such delusions.
Mk1a has been in news since 2015.
U want to say tht this nationalistic govt. which is firmly backing 'MAKE IN INDIA',,has money to buy meagre 36 superexpensive Rafale but has no spare change for the supposed 'best in class/worldclass' indiginous tejas,,to liven up mk1 foc lines,,,hmm,,tht alone shud give u a hint.
Regarding previous orders signed for non existent defence products,,those were CONgress times.
N perhaps aesa integrated lsp is not a prerequisite,,,,but neither is lca sport/navy.(those r just white elephants).
Dont u think mk1 wid aesa will evoke much more interests from other countries thn this sport or whatevr.
So yes there might be severe deficiencies in tejas design.
Hence,,mwf.

Last edited:
Even the 36 Rafale ordered are non-existent variants. India-specific modifications are yet to be incorporated.

Mk1A has great company in LCH. Wonder where those orders are.

Even the 36 Rafale ordered are non-existent variants. India-specific modifications are yet to be incorporated.

Mk1A has great company in LCH. Wonder where those orders are.
There,,u got ur answer.
The current govt is not corrupt congress,,this govt. always keeps national interest forefront.
If the govt. hasnt ordered any of them since being in power for 6 years,,,its safe to assume tht despite what is parroted by indiginous chanters/dosu bhakts,,,,these dpsu products r not worthy to be considered,,,atleast tejas got 40 token orders,,perhaps tht was amount of money govt felt it can spare for the capability(or the lack of any) tejas brings to the table.
Govt has poured huge money on 36 expensive phoren paper planes.
But reluctant on the so called 'best in class' desi solution.
I dont think it shud be hard to draw inference.

According to the HAL test pilot, Mk1A is on track and the contract has to go through due process, which will take ~4 months.

So next FY it is. Disappointment stems from our expectations.

Back
Top Bottom