What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

NLCA Mk1 ski-jump off INS Vikramādityan:

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-aKfLb4KEcO9pqZz.jpg

Now it's NLCA Mk1 NP1's turn after the NP2 show.

NP1 landed on the aircraft carrier.
Hot refuelled.
Did ski-jump.
Landed again.
Hot refuelled.
Did ski-jump again, to base.

Like I said, already more reliable than the MiG29K.

The reason for successive refuelling is simple. In testing stage, you've to be ready to return to base at every possibility of abort.

Now it's NLCA Mk1 NP1's turn after the NP2 show.

NP1 landed on the aircraft carrier.
Hot refuelled.
Did ski-jump.
Landed again.
Hot refuelled.
Did ski-jump again, to base.

Like I said, already more reliable than the MiG29K.

The reason for successive refuelling is simple. In testing stage, you've to be ready to return to base at every possibility of abort.
Do we expect navy changing its mind and adopting it..i dont know whther a thrust of 90kn will cut it for navy aircraft its half of a mig29

Do we expect navy changing its mind and adopting it..i dont know whther a thrust of 90kn will cut it for navy aircraft its half of a mig29
Probably no , Navys biggest demand is twin engine. This is just a Tech demonstrator

Only if it's an emergency. Unlikely.

One production spec NLCA Mk1 will be ready this year, and a few more will be built. They'll likely have a weird trainer/TD/fighter role to play. So we'll certainly see more of this thing.

Last edited:
Video of NLCA Mk1 NP2 maiden ski-jump off INS Vikramādityan:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1217357878069084160/pu/vid/1280x720/ZhLZuxUV29kUHpff.mp4

Reportedly, NP1 & NP2 together have done 12 ski-jumps off and landings on the carrier. 3 cycles each today itself.

There seems to be a slight crosswind in the above video. (From the photos, the crosswind is nil. So perhaps it's a small asymmetry in the jump.) Reminds me of the most beautiful video of the NLCA prior to this, with a considerable amount of crosswind. Watch the aircraft recovering:

https://video-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v...=0d8f93478797f102c0d3e26549037360&oe=5E98356A

Last edited:
Last edited:
Any word on this development by the IN?
They made a few congratulatory/celebratory tweets, posted the photos, and made it clear that this is still a TD by talking about the TEDBF:

With this feat, the indigenously developed niche technologies specific to deck based fighter operations have been proven, which will now pave the way to develop and manufacture the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter for the #IndianNavy.

They made a few congratulatory/celebratory tweets, posted the photos, and made it clear that this is still a TD by talking about the TEDBF:

With this feat, the indigenously developed niche technologies specific to deck based fighter operations have been proven, which will now pave the way to develop and manufacture the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter for the #IndianNavy.

They said it in the bold part.

Excerpts:
  • We are happy that we were able to beat the March deadline. As per our earlier plans, we had to factor in a possible software update. However the approaches to the carrier were flawless from handling point of view (during trials before the actual arrested landing). The modelling we had done of the ship wake turned out to be very good. Hence, no software update was needed and we could beat the March deadline."
  • “The target is to engage on each of the three wires. Also ship speed is being varied from maximum to minimum to check loads on aircraft and hook. This is a very systematic study to get data for design. These are not just random engagements."

Back
Top Bottom