What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

B9PIM-WCMAAUo-R.jpg:large

The naval version looks so much better.
The pronounced crank of the wings looks so sexy.

This is the MK II right ?

Last edited:
@sancho not pace of production, pace of testing.

In the pic you posted, the landing gear of NP2 seems slightly different. Also change in the rwr, newer version of tarang installed?
I don't know if I can see any changes in the landing gear, the idea had been to modify the landing gear that was seen on the NP1 as it was seen as "over engineered" and "too strong" but they did this on the NP-1 itself (why there was so long in between its tests) and I assume they've put the same (modified) landing gear on the NP-2 now.

I don't know if I can see any changes in the landing gear, the idea had been to modify the landing gear that was seen on the NP1 as it was seen as "over engineered" and "too strong" but they did this on the NP-1 itself (why there was so long in between its tests) and I assume they've put the same (modified) landing gear on the NP-2 now.
The hydraulic parts of the rear wheels are different ( seen right below the missile tip)

The increased pace is now becoming obvious.
From the major remaining work
1 IFR probe integration HAL has experience with the Jaguar upgrade. Might not be same thing but it helps.
2 Integration of BVR missile. Experience with the LUSH sea harrier upgrade would be extremely useful. Because the missiles are same and so is the backend radar data processing part of elta2032.

Gun firing would be the biggest challenge.

Problem with overheating brake system solved?

The hydraulic parts of the rear wheels are different ( seen right below the missile tip)
Hmmm I guess I see it.

This is pretty consistent with what was explained in the Aero India 2013 seminar on the NLCA by the Chief NFTC pilot ( an IN officer) who said they would be going in two different directions with the landing gear to test different ideas and that he/they expected one of the designs to break during testing and accepted this.

not pace of production, pace of testing.
That's even worse, when you compare what they wanted to achieve from IOC2 in 2013 till FOC at the end of 2014 and that now is delayed till the end of 2015. The production delayes are manageable, but the delays in development and testing are really hitting the fighter project.

In the pic you posted, the landing gear of NP2 seems slightly different. Also change in the rwr, newer version of tarang installed?

The NP2 is based on the latest LSP versions, so has the same EW and avionics installed as the land based prototypes.

That's even worse, when you compare what they wanted to achieve from IOC2 in 2013 till FOC at the end of 2014 and that now is delayed till the end of 2015. The production delayes are manageable, but the delays in development and testing are really hitting the fighter project.

The NP2 is based on the latest LSP versions, so has the same EW and avionics installed as the land based prototypes.
About avionics it has a major difference in the datalink which is common with the naval aviation datalink used in mig29k p8i etc mk2 datalink by BEL.

I have found that delay strange especially after the increase in number of prototype in testing. This is where the delay in freezing the specs for LSP and SP has been a huge obstacle. Different LSPs had difference in specifications and time was wasted in standardization.

I hope that this aspect is taken care of in mk2 and amca projects.
My point was about achieving major milestone achieved.

In terms of challenges to be overcome.
Bhai we are comparing NP2 to SP1, I don't think there is a change in the airbrake.

About avionics it has a major difference in the datalink which is common with the naval aviation datalink used in mig29k p8i etc mk2 datalink by BEL.

I have found that delay strange especially after the increase in number of prototype in testing. This is where the delay in freezing the specs for LSP and SP has been a huge obstacle. Different LSPs had difference in specifications and time was wasted in standardization.

I hope that this aspect is taken care of in mk2 and amca projects.
My point was about achieving major milestone achieved.

Bhai we are comparing NP2 to SP1, I don't think there is a change in the airbrake.

No no i mean something else....

To clear FOC there is some issue in brake overheating. Air brake or something else i don't know.

btw what sort of airbrake does Tejas have? The sort on Su30mki and F-35 which open up as flap behind cockpit? Ive never seen it in images

Well, you don't need an SP aircraft to integrate and test the gun, to integrate and flight test BVR missiles (until the nose issue is solved and the full radar performance is available), but none of this seems to have been done yet.

LIVEFIST: What It'll Take For India's Tejas To Be FULLY Ready

1. Expand flight envelope to -3.5 to 8G (Currently -2 to 6G) - unclear?
2. 24° angle of attack (Currently 22°) - rumored to be improved towards FOC requirement
3. In-flight refuelling capability (Integration of Cobham probe complete) - delayed
4. Demonstration of Rafael ADS Derby BVR air-to-air missile - delayed
5. Demonstration of Rafael ADS Python-5 IIR close combat missile - (if true at all) delayed
6. Completion of integration & demonstration of KBP Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-23 23mm cannon - delayed
7. New design drop tanks for supersonic flight - uncear (not sure if they meant the 725l centerline tank)?
8. New radome to improve radar and electromagnetic performance - delayed
9. Validate more efficient cooling system for aircraft braking assembly - unlcear?
10. Additional weapons testing, including PGMs - done although no PGM was tested.

So did we really achieved something since IOC2 and improved the testing pace?

@sancho I will wait for more details from aeroindia on atleast half of those things.

The cold weather trials are very important and clearing them opens up number of the airbases and also makes it all weather capable. Leh based test was a very important one, and fact that some mmrca failed it shows capabilities being built up.

FOC is a lot of things, not just weapons capability, so these tests are equally important.

I will wait for more details from aeroindia on atleast half of those things.

I'm eagerly waiting for more infos too, the fact however remains, that the planned FOC wasn't achieved and even ADA / DRDO estimate it to happen only at the of the year, which tells a lot.

The cold weather trials are very important and clearing them opens up number of the airbases and also makes it all weather capable. Leh based test was a very important one, and fact that some mmrca failed it shows capabilities being built up.

See my earlier post:

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2] | Page 9

Well, you don't need an SP aircraft to integrate and test the gun, to integrate and flight test BVR missiles (until the nose issue is solved and the full radar performance is available), but none of this seems to have been done yet.

LIVEFIST: What It'll Take For India's Tejas To Be FULLY Ready

1. Expand flight envelope to -3.5 to 8G (Currently -2 to 6G) - unclear?
2. 24° angle of attack (Currently 22°) - rumored to be improved towards FOC requirement
3. In-flight refuelling capability (Integration of Cobham probe complete) - delayed
4. Demonstration of Rafael ADS Derby BVR air-to-air missile - delayed
5. Demonstration of Rafael ADS Python-5 IIR close combat missile - (if true at all) delayed
6. Completion of integration & demonstration of KBP Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-23 23mm cannon - delayed
7. New design drop tanks for supersonic flight - uncear (not sure if they meant the 725l centerline tank)?
8. New radome to improve radar and electromagnetic performance - delayed
9. Validate more efficient cooling system for aircraft braking assembly - unlcear?
10. Additional weapons testing, including PGMs - done although no PGM was tested.

So did we really achieved something since IOC2 and improved the testing pace?

The hell were these idiots doing since IOC 2:mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom