What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

@zebra7 check out this thread by @DrSomnath999 for more info...I am sure you'll find it interesting. Also before comparison, just remember that Tejas has an Israeli radar and many other subsystems. Also one Mica cost us 2.7-2.8 million dollar a unit, clearly very expensive.

https://defence.pk/threads/french-mica-em-ir-missile-vs-israeli-derby-em-python-5-ir-missile.180044/

Thanks I was thinking of creating a poll, but before a poll, a discussion with pros and crons.

Its already decided that Derby-ER and Python will be on the Tejas, but the discussion I raised is just to have a friendly debate purpose. Thanks.

Good attempt

• What is the cost of the MICA IR/RF and the I-Derby-ER and Python-5 ? Don't mix the upgradation package of the Mirrage 2000 H of IAF, because that involved a lot, and many tech. from the Rafale like MDPU.
  • Derby wt is 120 KG, where as MICA wt 110 kg. And for the Range do you really believe Range Matters, and not PK, NEZ, Proximity Fuse, Top attack profile, Resistance to high electronic jamming profile.
  • MICA could be used for very short range, high bore angle, and long range fire and forget mode.
  • For greater range R-77 PD is there, which is heavy, but cheaper.
  • Integration do not need to have the whole source code, rather the part of the code.
  • LOBL, LOAL is also with MICA

• I-derby-ER offers 80% of the Meteor performance with 1/3 rd of the cost of Meteor, thats what Rafael advertised regarding it. And it is very well known that French stuff is always highly priced. The weapon deal for M2k was separate than up gradation package, just like Rafale deal where the is always break up.
  • Range is always connected to NEZ.
  • Derby could be used for very short range, high bore angle, and long range fire and forget mode with less cost and introduction of I-Derby will close the gap with Meteor whereas French is going for Meteor.
  • We will no longer use R-77 in future, the same will be replaced by low cost astra Mk-2.

• I-derby-ER offers 80% of the Meteor performance with 1/3 rd of the cost of Meteor, thats what Rafael advertised regarding it. And it is very well known that French stuff is always highly priced. The weapon deal for M2k was separate than up gradation package, just like Rafale deal where the is always break up.
  • Range is always connected to NEZ.
  • Derby could be used for very short range, high bore angle, and long range fire and forget mode with less cost and introduction of I-Derby will close the gap with Meteor whereas French is going for Meteor.
  • We will no longer use R-77 in future, the same will be replaced by low cost astra Mk-2.
  • I-derby-ER offer 80% performance is the claim of the Rafael.
  • NEZ should be more connected with the Kinetic energy left in the BVR and the Active radar of the Missile itself, and the one which have broader/wider radar coverage of the onboard radar of the missile
  • Derby is designed as BVR aka for long range target, making it sleek, low drag to cover the distance so that at the end of the final aim, it sustain the kinetic energy sustained to make the kill, whereas WVR is designed for short range. In Case of MICA french tried to combine both into one, taking all the experience and tech from the Magic and Matra missile. It was also desined to be able to equip any fighter plane easily, and put less stress and drags on the host fighter plane
  • We are very well using R-77, and are uprading it whose shell life have expired, and is the primrary BVR of MIG-29, MIG 21, Su-30 MKI.
  • Astra MK-2 should be easily 4-5 years away from mass production.

13698168_1195115117218603_6181452907394688946_o.jpg

Tejas getting ready for sortie

I rather say actuators....
I think we signed make in India deal for actuators already. Hope soon we will see Tejas will have actuators for multiple missiles like other fighters .

India should take a cue from Gripin on this regards

And majority of that consists of Engine , Radar dome , refueling probe , Data Buses , and missiles.

70% indigenous is really remarkable for modern fighters ... How much is Swedish indigenization for Gripin? More be like 80? Due to their radar ?

I think we signed make in India deal for actuators already. Hope soon we will see Tejas will have actuators for multiple missiles like other fighters .

India should take a cue from Gripin on this regards

70% indigenous is really remarkable for modern fighters ... How much is Swedish indigenization for Gripin? More be like 80? Due to their radar ?
They are Called Pylons (the one carry the weapon or fuel tank) not actuators!

You are an interesting person. Your question is not an attempt to improve your knowledge but to polish your ego and mocking skills.

To clear your question, when you don't copy/paste or reverse engineer: You ask Permission from the OEM :p: But general rule of thumb is you need partial codes of FCR for missile integration otherwise you pay and get the missile integrated by the OEM.

Good Day!
Don't you think having no control over the FCR is a risky gamble? How do you know if the CIA/MOSSAD won't just shut down your FCR and you can't fire a single missile?

The real problem with Tejas is similar to F35 which is "High stall speed" and dog fighting ability. Delta wings introduce both these problem's so does that mean Tejas will excel in BVR similar to F35?

J10 for example has very good low speed performance and is technically very similar under the skin.

The real problem with Tejas is similar to F35 which is "High stall speed" and dog fighting ability. Delta wings introduce both these problem's so does that mean Tejas will excel in BVR similar to F35?

J10 for example has very good low speed performance and is technically very similar under the skin.

Well there are 2 ways to go on about dogfighting
1)Fighting in Horizontal
2) Fighting in vertical

The Delta wing excells in instantaneous turn rates and hence it has better point and shoot capability. It has better climb rate compared to the conventional tail plane lay out. But the deltas also have the tendency to bleed energy when in a a sustained turn. To compensate this maneuvers like the rolling scissors, Immelman's turn were employed while fighting the conventional layout. The delta wing also has a large surface are and hence can carry more fuel compared to the aircraft with conventional layouts.

With an AoA af 26 degrees I think the Tejas can take on any of the aircraft in the inventory of the countries whom we are likely to face a war with.

Back
Top Bottom