What's new

HAL Hands Over Tejas Jets To IAF

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has handed over the First Series Production (SP1) of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas, to the Indian Air Force (IAF) on Tuesday.

The requirement of fighter aircraft is periodically reviewed and it is ensured that the operational requirements of the IAF are met, Business Standard reported.

The IAF is in the process of inducting additional Su-30 MKI aircraft apart from Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). An Inter-Governmental Agreement has been signed with Russian Federation for design, development and production of a Prospective Multi Role Fighter Aircraft.

The procurement of Medium Multi role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) is also under process. This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply in Rajya Sabha today.

If I recall, this was going to happen anyway, regardless of gaining final operational clearance, which I think the LCA still does not have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Congratulations. I'm a big supporter of Tejas, not that its a world beating plane but simply because a lot of Indian work has gone into it. I think India needs to get behind its own jet and produce them in numbers.

Saurav Jha @SJha1618 · 7h7 hours ago
HAL has been told to increase Tejas output to 16 from next year. But they want more MK-I numbers committed.

There is now some preliminary discussion on an improved MK-I with certain new systems and easier maintainability.

This will keep the HAL line buzzing till 2022 when Mk-2 production is expected to take off.

Discussions with the Americans for developing the F-414 into a higher thrust class engine are underway.

Under DTTI of course. But if the Indian side doesn't get written guarantees the RFP route will be pursued.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I'm a big supporter of Tejas, not that its a world beating plane but simply because a lot of Indian work has gone into it. I think India needs to get behind its own jet and produce them in numbers.

Thanks and true. But it's not worst fighter either . Our IAF is very sensitive like a costly girlfriend !

HAL has been told to increase Tejas output to 16 from next year. But they want more MK-I numbers committed.

There is now some preliminary discussion on an improved MK-I with certain new systems and easier maintainability.

This will keep the HAL line buzzing till 2022 when Mk-2 production is expected to take off.

Discussions with the Americans for developing the F-414 into a higher thrust class engine are underway.

Under DTTI of course. But if the Indian side doesn't get written guarantees the RFP route will be pursued.

HAL has been told to increase Tejas output to 16 from next year. But they want more MK-I numbers committed. !!!!

That's good instead of 4-8-12-16 now we will have line which can produce 16 from 2016 . If it's true IAF will order more ...

May be 80 Mk1 by 2022

We can beat any plane of world with Tejas, on this forum :)

Congrats to India to finally have this plane. It's an example of Indian tortoise crossing the finish line.

Good Job. Start replacing with aging Mig-21s for god's sake! The Sooner the better.

I'm not a big fan of BJP but I think this became possible only because of them.....'odd but true'!

151_Para_LCA-model.jpg

Indian Air Force which recently took delivery of first LCA SP-1 aircraft has asked to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) which is Production agency for LCA-Tejas fighter jet to up production rate of Tejas MK-1 and start early delivery of aircrafts from the original schedule.

IAF had asked HAL to up-rate and hit the Production rate of 16 aircrafts from 2016 on wards then agreed 2017 timeline so that first Tejas Mk 1 squadrons of 20 aircrafts are ready by end of 2016 and Second Tejas Mk 1 squadrons is ready by mid-2018 .

According to original delivery schedule, HAL was supposed to deliver six LCAs by 2016 and hit construction rate of 16 aircrafts a year their after. While the Production line is geared up to produce 16 aircrafts a year, HAL is facing shortage of trained manpower and finds it will be difficult to bring contracted spares schedule ahead, to increase production rate ahead of the schedule.

IAF feels adequate time was given to HAL to develop new production line and recruit new manpower to work on LCA-Tejas production , which according to sources was delayed by two years due to HAL’s inability to start work on Production line even after funds were cleared by Government . HAL wants IAF to place further orders of Tejas MK-1 so that it can absorb additional Investment which it will require investing to increase production rate of LCA-Tejas.

Mig 27 needs immediate replacements not mig 21 , 21 bison will serve till 2020

The replacement should have started in 2008. We are 7 years late due to corrupt defence officials on HAL and a useless MOD for the last 10 years.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom