What's new

Hacked: How China is stealing America's business secrets

Shaurya

Reaction score
Sen. John Kerry is fed up with China's penchant for looting technology from U.S. businesses — up to $400 billion worth of data each year. When will it stop?
POSTED ON FEBRUARY 16, 2012, AT 3:52 PM

Chinese gamers at an internet cafe: Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) says Chinese hackers are illegally stealing business secrets from American firms. Photo: Imaginechina/Corbis SEE ALL 55 PHOTOS
Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping, slated to be the next leader of the world's most populous nation, is getting an earful from U.S. officials over China's shady business practices. During Xi's first official tour of the U.S. this week, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) accused a Chinese company of bankrupting a U.S. competitor by ransacking its software. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, alleges Kerry, implicating China in "cyber-attacks, access-to-market issues, espionage [and] theft." And, indeed, a flurry of recent reports indicate that Chinese hackers, backed by the government, are stealing business secrets from the U.S. Here, a guide:

What's going on?
American companies are the victim of an "onslaught of computer network intrusions that have originated in China," according to a report by the U.S. government's National Counterintelligence Executive (NCE). The report says China is trying to "build" its economy on U.S. technology, research and development, and other sensitive forms of intellectual property.

How is the technology stolen?
Consider the company Kerry cited: Wind-energy experts American Superconductor. Its biggest client used to be China's Sinovel — until Sinovel allegedly bribed an American Superconductor employee to steal his employer's software and give it to Sinovel. In the case of cyber-attacks, Chinese hackers may leave malware inside the computer systems of American firms, where the nefarious programs can go undetected for years, slowly bleeding companies of information.

Is the Chinese government involved?
Many experts suspect so, though China denies the charges. U.S. officials reportedly believe that a dozen Chinese groups are responsible for the bulk of cyber-attacks on U.S. companies, and that they receive direction from the Chinese government or military.

What impact does the theft have on U.S. companies?
It can be devastating. Some say China is stealing $400 billion worth of sensitive information a year. The NCE report cited the case of paint company Valspar, which lost $20 million, or one-eighth of its annual profit, after its proprietary information was stolen by a Chinese rival.

Are there national security concerns?
Definitely. Some hacked companies have contracts with the Defense Department and other U.S. government agencies, putting classified information at risk. For nearly a decade, hackers had access to the computer network of telecommunications company Nortel Networks. If, as suspected, China was behind the breach, it likely gained valuable insight into the internet and telephone systems that government agencies, banks, and other businesses rely on.

What has the U.S. done about this?
Surprisingly little so far. Cyber-security experts are urging the government to show China that such acts will have serious repercussions. In the meantime, the NCE says China continues to be an "aggressive and capable" hacking threat.

As a rule, I support third world countries "obtaining" technology to overcome the gap between them and first world countries.

Nevertheless, I don't see how you can justify stealing software. Don't you have enough self respect to write your own?

Why don't ask himself that how do USA steal the technology and spy in the world?!!
Stealing is everywhere, You can't stop these, don't blame it on China only, in the world, no country is clean!!!

All's fair in love and war :D

If China is able to get these secrets then more power to them, and America should not pretend it doesn't do the same.

Sickening attitude both of you guys... grow up. Atleast condemn such intellectual property theft. Imagine you having spent 4 years on a project and someone stealing it from you in 1 minute. This is not spying you guys... this is stealing .. point blank.

Sickening attitude both of you guys... grow up. Atleast condemn such intellectual property theft. Imagine you having spent 4 years on a project and someone stealing it from you in 1 minute. This is not spying you guys... this is stealing .. point blank.

Oh give it a break, you are only outraged because China is smart enough to do this. If India was smart enough to do this, you bet your bottom dollar they would be.

Oh and BTW, I guess Intellectual property does not count when it comes to pharmaceutics. The entire Indian pharmaceutic industry is based on stealing from western companies and producing cheaper pills. I also happen to support this since 1. I am not a hypocrite like Indians and 2. Poor people cannot afford to pay what western companies want for the pills.

anti-china propaganda bs with no single evident to support..

Operation Mockingbird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

remember this?
see how many articles you can find on google's search

Google

and the truth..:cheesy:

Hacked Satellites?: USCC Makes Claims It Cant Support

Neither NASA nor DOD claim that China was behind this. Discussing the Terra incident, NASAs spokesperson Perrotta simply said:

NASA notified the Department of Defense, which is responsible for investigating any attempted interference with satellite operations.

A Reuters article digs a little deeper and specifically asks General Robert Kehler, head of US Strategic Command, whether the incidents were attributable:

Kehler spoke to reporters during a conference hosted by his command on cyber and space issues. He was asked by Reuters whether he could assign blame for the possible efforts to take control of the Landsat-7 and Terra AM-1 satellites, as reported by the commission.

First of all, I am familiar with the two incidents, he replied. The best information that I have is that we cannot attribute those two occurrences.

I guess I would agree that we dont have sufficient detail, Kehler added.

*ttp://allthingsnuclear.org/post/13596775717/hacked-satellites-uscc-makes-claims-it-cant-support

Why don't ask himself that how do USA steal the technology and spy in the world?!!
Stealing is everywhere, You can't stop these, don't blame it on China only, in the world, no country is clean!!!

China needs to make more of this accusations. All I hear from Western media is allegations and accusation which paints the picture of US being the victim. The West has the most listening post around the world to steal information. Of course, the media never tell us about theft from America.

I doubt China has more capabilities than US at espionages.

Oh give it a break, you are only outraged because China is smart enough to do this. If India was smart enough to do this, you bet your bottom dollar they would be.

Buddy I would be outraged if someone steals my hard work... doesn't matter if it were another Indian, Chinese, Pakistani or an American. It is my work and I own the right. Now if I am willing to license the work or make it open for people to copy, it is a fair game, otherwise it is plain stealing.

Oh and BTW, I guess Intellectual property does not count when it comes to pharmaceutics. The entire Indian pharmaceutic industry is based on stealing from western companies and producing cheaper pills. I also happen to support this since 1. I am not a hypocrite like Indians and 2. Poor people cannot afford to pay what western companies want for the pills.

Read about the Generic drug industry before trying to draw an analogy. Generic drugs are not copies of the drugs... rather 'very similar' in content to the original and they are produced and marketed only after the original patent period has expired. There are also market restrictions which govern the sale of these drugs and the terms and conditions are accepted worldwide as standard practice. At no point does any generic drug manufacturer "steal" the formula from the original drug companies.

Sen. John Kerry is fed up with China's penchant for looting technology from U.S. businesses — up to $400 billion worth of data each year. When will it stop?
POSTED ON FEBRUARY 16, 2012, AT 3:52 PM

Chinese gamers at an internet cafe: Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) says Chinese hackers are illegally stealing business secrets from American firms. Photo: Imaginechina/Corbis SEE ALL 55 PHOTOS
Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping, slated to be the next leader of the world's most populous nation, is getting an earful from U.S. officials over China's shady business practices. During Xi's first official tour of the U.S. this week, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) accused a Chinese company of bankrupting a U.S. competitor by ransacking its software. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, alleges Kerry, implicating China in "cyber-attacks, access-to-market issues, espionage [and] theft." And, indeed, a flurry of recent reports indicate that Chinese hackers, backed by the government, are stealing business secrets from the U.S. Here, a guide:

What's going on?
American companies are the victim of an "onslaught of computer network intrusions that have originated in China," according to a report by the U.S. government's National Counterintelligence Executive (NCE). The report says China is trying to "build" its economy on U.S. technology, research and development, and other sensitive forms of intellectual property.

How is the technology stolen?
Consider the company Kerry cited: Wind-energy experts American Superconductor. Its biggest client used to be China's Sinovel — until Sinovel allegedly bribed an American Superconductor employee to steal his employer's software and give it to Sinovel. In the case of cyber-attacks, Chinese hackers may leave malware inside the computer systems of American firms, where the nefarious programs can go undetected for years, slowly bleeding companies of information.

Is the Chinese government involved?
Many experts suspect so, though China denies the charges. U.S. officials reportedly believe that a dozen Chinese groups are responsible for the bulk of cyber-attacks on U.S. companies, and that they receive direction from the Chinese government or military.

What impact does the theft have on U.S. companies?
It can be devastating. Some say China is stealing $400 billion worth of sensitive information a year. The NCE report cited the case of paint company Valspar, which lost $20 million, or one-eighth of its annual profit, after its proprietary information was stolen by a Chinese rival.

Are there national security concerns?
Definitely. Some hacked companies have contracts with the Defense Department and other U.S. government agencies, putting classified information at risk. For nearly a decade, hackers had access to the computer network of telecommunications company Nortel Networks. If, as suspected, China was behind the breach, it likely gained valuable insight into the internet and telephone systems that government agencies, banks, and other businesses rely on.

What has the U.S. done about this?
Surprisingly little so far. Cyber-security experts are urging the government to show China that such acts will have serious repercussions. In the meantime, the NCE says China continues to be an "aggressive and capable" hacking threat.

now that's what i call China's pre-emptive cyberstrike in its national self-defence ... :sniper:

Buddy I would be outraged if someone steals my hard work... doesn't matter if it were another Indian, Chinese, Pakistani or an American. It is my work and I own the right. Now if I am willing to license the work or make it open for people to copy, it is a fair game, otherwise it is plain stealing.

Read about the Generic drug industry before trying to draw an analogy. Generic drugs are not copies of the drugs... rather 'very similar' in content to the original and they are produced and marketed only after the original patent period has expired. There are also market restrictions which govern the sale of these drugs and the terms and conditions are accepted worldwide as standard practice. At no point does any generic drug manufacturer "steal" the formula from the original drug companies.

BBC News - India stands to gain from 'patent cliff'

The boom in the generics industry started in 1972 when India decided not to recognize patents on drug products and began churning out low-cost copies of branded medicines.

But in 2005, the country introduced a new Patent Act which prevents companies from copying drugs which are patented, protecting a range of drugs for cancer, HIV-Aids, tuberculosis, and malaria, among others.

However, it gives no protection to drugs invented before 1995 and companies have been able to expand production as a result.

oh what's that?
oh its a glass house
and I see you have a rock.
I sure hope you don't intend to throw it :disagree:

teach your children about Confucius, rattle about hard work on Defence.pk, and steal from uncle sam ?

and pakistanis will support this 'stealing'. what happened to haram ki daulat pachti nahi ?

Why Pakistani's......even if we steel we steel like mans....not like Indians which lay down in front of others.

oh what's that?
oh its a glass house
and I see you have a rock.
I sure hope you don't intend to throw it :disagree:
My point still stands despite your attempt to prove otherwise.

Indian drug companies after the passing of the Indian Patent Act respect the patents protecting the original drugs, it is only after the expiry of 20 year patent period or any drugs invented before 95 (17 years ago from today's date), that they are allowed to make generic brands of. Again, the final approval in the country of selling depends on the approval of its local governing bodies.

So while it seems like India is playing by the rules, there are some countries who are rampantly trying to steal IPs and worse still trying to justify them.

Back
Top Bottom