Greg Chappell again hits at India's heart

hembo

Reaction score
Country
India
Updated Mar 07, 2012 at 08:28pm IST
Greg Chappell again hits at India's heart
Press Trust Of India

Adelaide: In a vicious attack on Indian culture and Indian team, of which he was the coach, Greg Chappell has said that the side lacked leaders because parents, school teachers and coaches made all the decisions in the Indian system.

"The (Indian) culture is very different; it's not a team culture. They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions," Chappell said.

"The culture of India is such that if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility.

"The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to," Chappell was quoted as saying by a website at a promotional event for his book 'Fierce Focus'.

Chappell said Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was an exception to that rule but even he seems to have lost to the system.

"Dhoni is one of the most impressive young men that I have ever worked with. When he came into that Indian team, you just knew that he was a leader in the making. He was definitely someone who could make decisions, and he didn't mind putting his head above the parapet, and didn't mind putting the bigger players in their place. I think he is the best thing to have happened to Indian cricket in recent times," he said.

Chappell, who was the coach of Indian team for two turbulent years from 2005 to 2007, reckoned that excessive cricket has now started taking a toll on Dhoni.

"But looking at him on this tour - I didn't meet or speak to him at all - but just watching the body language and just watching him on the field, it wasn't the MS Dhoni that I knew. I think Indian cricket has worn him down as well.

"Especially captaining all three formats, and India plays about 50 per cent more cricket than Australia does. And Dhoni played four years, captaining three years while being wicketkeeper and their key batman - one of the best chasers of a target that I've ever seen," he said.

The former Australian captain also said that the Indians appeared disintersted in Test cricket during the just-concluded disastrous tour Down Under.

"It was obvious from the start of the tour that the Indians weren't really interested in Test cricket," Chappell said. "After the Australians showed that they were going to be a formidable foe, I was very disappointed with the Indians.

"And having worked with many of them and having been in the dressing room with them, Test cricket was too hard for most of them. They can only make a lot of money playing 20-over cricket. Fifty-over cricket they can sort of put up with.

"Test cricket for a lot of, not only India, a lot of subcontinent teams, I think it's pretty tough. And the challenge for Test cricket is, without the sort of grounding that we (Australians) had as kids, Test cricket is too hard. It's very demanding mentally, physically and emotionally," he added.

Chappell also felt that Virender Sehwag's captaincy ambition hurt the team.

"Sehwag thought he should be captain after (Anil) Kumble, so there is a bit of a collision there," he said

"I think Dhoni is getting to a point where Test cricket is getting too hard for him, and the undercurrent around the dressing room cannot help," Chappell opined.

He was also of the view that Test cricket needed a strong India.

"I think Australia and England will always look at Test cricket and try and preserve it. South Africa to a lesser degree. Up until this summer, I thought India as well. We probably had four major Test-playing countries, and the others would play Test cricket spasmodically," Chappell concluded.

i will have to agree with greg chappell here.:agree:.....indians should consider their culture and try to learn from mahinder singh dhoni's punjabi culture.

"The (Indian) culture is very different; it's not a team culture. They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions," Chappell said.

"The culture of India is such that if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility.

LOL, that's what the Indians here say about Chinese people all the time. :lol:

From yesterday:

The chinese enjoy being told what to do -it is a cultural thing.

b@stard wants to sell his book.......noone will buy that BS.....

b@stard wants to sell his book.......noone will buy that BS.....
Actually what he said is quite right , These are the reasons why Innovation in is lacking in India and west is Successful because students are not free to choose from their area of interest,Job oriented fields are preferred over research and interest based areas.
although I don't agree with comments he made about effect of British on us.

I do agree with him.Indian Players will have to change their attitude towards the game of cricket if they really want to be among the best.Things are not really going well for us and Board is equally responsible for it.Players consider themselves over everything & that is the only reason of our failure.

LOL, that's what the Indians here say about Chinese people all the time. :lol:

From yesterday:

Maybe thats why you don't even have a team :lol:

On the other hand, I do actually agree with him (Chappell, not the dragon dude).Parents, teachers..etc make almost all the important decisions in an Indian kids life and the one making his own decisions are portrayed like a prodigal son.Even our politicians, the ones supposed to leads us are also afraid to make harsh decisions and take responsibility for it.Their only solution is kiss every @$$, remain neutral (thereby avoid making hard choices) and wait & see how all that pans out...

"The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to," Chappell was quoted as saying by a website at a promotional event for his book 'Fierce Focus'.

There is some truths in these words, that's why world taking advantage of easy India and use them for some reasons.

Greg chappal is troll of cricketing world :D
he will do anything to sell his book :)

i will have to agree with greg chappell here.:agree:.....indians should consider their culture and try to learn from mahinder singh dhoni's punjabi culture.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni is a Jharkhandi far from Pakistan or even Indian Punjab .

There are Singhs all over North India .

Elementary stuff :disagree:

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Greg is absolutely correct about Indian culture . This is major problem here . But this is true for whole of south asia . Our parents and adults and seniors make our decisions for all our lives .

This loser like culture has to change . I have a lot of hope from youngsters in this country like myself to bring that change . These oldies have to go .

Back
Top Bottom