What's new

Greek/Hellenic Armed Forces Thread - Pictures, News Articles and Discussions on all Greek/Hellenic Military Affairs.

"Greece's Government Council for Foreign Affairs and Defence (KYSEA) chaired by Defence Minister Nikolaos Panagiotopoulos approved the purchase of Spike Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) systems and missiles for all three services on 29 March.

KYSEA approved the purchase of 17 Spike NLOS systems with 340 missiles for Hellenic Army anti-armour units worth EUR270 million (USD293 million).

The council also approved the purchase of 100 Spike NLOS missiles to arm AH-64A attack helicopters of the Hellenic Army Air Corps worth EUR45 million. This was accompanied by the approval of the upgrade of 19 AH-64As by Israeli company Elbit, with a total cost estimated at EUR40 million. Nine of these 19 helicopters will be certified to be armed with the air-to-ground version of Spike NLOS.

Finally, KYSEA approved the purchase of four Spike NLOS systems to be fitted on patrol boats of the Hellenic Navy, and another four Spike ER2 systems with 55 missiles to be fitted on special operations fast craft, for a total value of EUR55 million."

"Greece's Government Council for Foreign Affairs and Defence (KYSEA) chaired by Defence Minister Nikolaos Panagiotopoulos approved the purchase of Spike Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) systems and missiles for all three services on 29 March.

KYSEA approved the purchase of 17 Spike NLOS systems with 340 missiles for Hellenic Army anti-armour units worth EUR270 million (USD293 million).

The council also approved the purchase of 100 Spike NLOS missiles to arm AH-64A attack helicopters of the Hellenic Army Air Corps worth EUR45 million. This was accompanied by the approval of the upgrade of 19 AH-64As by Israeli company Elbit, with a total cost estimated at EUR40 million. Nine of these 19 helicopters will be certified to be armed with the air-to-ground version of Spike NLOS.

Finally, KYSEA approved the purchase of four Spike NLOS systems to be fitted on patrol boats of the Hellenic Navy, and another four Spike ER2 systems with 55 missiles to be fitted on special operations fast craft, for a total value of EUR55 million."

Nice but Greece is going to have to need some proper UAVs networked with AH-64 to fully exploit the potential of NLOS weapons.

16 Km range won't mean anything if you don't have a way to target the enemy that far ahead.

Nice but Greece is going to have to need some proper UAVs networked with AH-64 to fully exploit the potential of NLOS weapons.

16 Km range won't mean anything if you don't have a way to target the enemy that far ahead.
I think it's about 40 km range.

Yeah,we need a more UAVs. The ones we have now are too few.

I think it's about 40 km range.

Yeah,we need a more UAVs. The ones we have now are too few.
US army tested it with 32 kilometers or so If I remember correctly, but that was when one AH64 was doing the spotting for another.

It's not useless this way but it's obviously safer and cheaper with the UAVs

US army tested it with 32 kilometers or so If I remember correctly, but that was when one AH64 was doing the spotting for another.

It's not useless this way but it's obviously safer and cheaper with the UAVs
They announced it will be the Orbiter 3 in the package with the SPIKE NLOS.

They announced it will be the Orbiter 3 in the package with the SPIKE NLOS.

There's a factory in Azerbaijan that produces the Orbiter 3 I think... interesting Greece is only getting 27 of them.

Aksungur is soon geting sonobuoy and light torpedo payload for naval patrol. Just buying off the shelf Israeli UAVs aren't cutting it anymore.

Greece really has to start mass producing something, it's definitely not a good look when you're getting left behind by countries like Azerbaijan.

Yeah it's pathetic actually.
yeah but why?

we've seen some decent UAV prototypes from Greece, they could just pick the most promising one, test it, fix whatever problems that come up during testing and put it in production. Instead of money going to Israel, it would stay in Greece and do some good.

The question must be asked, why not? Because they feel they can't catch up to Turkey?

yeah but why?

we've seen some decent UAV prototypes from Greece, they could just pick the most promising one, test it, fix whatever problems that come up during testing and put it in production. Instead of money going to Israel, it would stay in Greece and do some good.

The question must be asked, why not? Because they feel they can't catch up to Turkey?
Because they want to make new projects now and taking too long. They forgot the UAVs for 30 years,now they suddenly want to make new UAVs. They won't even have the balls to buy some Harop and Harpy from Israel,just for defence. We only have some Heron leased. There are some Pegasus II in active service,but the majority are not used.

Screenshot_2023-04-20 Hellenic Air Force - Wikipedia.png

Screenshot_2023-04-20 List of aircraft of the Hellenic Air Force - Wikipedia.png

Because they want to make new projects now and taking too long. They forgot the UAVs for 30 years,now they suddenly want to make new UAVs. They won't even have the balls to buy some Harop and Harpy from Israel,just for defence. We only have some Heron leased. There are some Pegasus II in active service,but the majority are not used.

View attachment 925429

View attachment 925428
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Greece should just produce what they have. This stuff can be later iterated upon and modernized.

In Turkish there's a saying, you can't turn a mill by carrying water. Leasing Herons is just that.
You're carrying buckets full of water when the other guy built his mill next to the river.

Last edited:
In Turkish there's a saying, you can't turn a mill by carrying water. Leasing Herons is just that.
You're carrying buckets full of water when the other guy built his mill next to the river.
True,very true. They could have bought some serious UAVs until we made our own projects and started full production,but they didn't do even that. All these years! But of course,they did little about getting IFVs when we had money (before 2009).

True,very true. They could have bought some serious UAVs until we made our own projects and started full production,but they didn't do even that. All these years! But of course,they did little about getting IFVs when we had money (before 2009).
IFVs are frankly inconsequential. Most IFVs in Turkish inventory are M113 variants.

I was on an Australian forum earlier and the entire forum lost their shit when I said that they were still good enough.

Even if you spend a billion dollars and get a fleet of KF-41s, the best IFVs in the world, you're still getting blown up by ATGMs

I will add one more thing: why should they have the outdated vehicle Sandcat and not the modern and most powerfull StormRider?
Why recommend Oskosh to the Lithuanians and not to us?

View attachment 903379

Well, you know what they say about Jewish negotiators.

Exactly! And we asked for 17 simulators and they only offered 4 and we managed to get 8. And the maintainance price? And the take it or leave it attitude? Lol! I was expecting more from them.

Don't forget you've been very friendly with us, performing all sorts of naval exercises and other military activities you can't expect them to be happy about that. They're bound to stick it to you and show you some sort of animosity for that while at the same time taking your $$$.

Badly engaged for Turkish F16..... @MMM-E

They said Rafale had a clear lead in WVR as in BVR against bk52 F16.
Not a surprise.

Except the range of the Rafale is not as great as the F-16, the only drawback so if the viper can elude long enough, eventually it might find itself on the Rafale's 6. That's where the meteor comes in very handy but I still wouldn't underestimate those pesky Turks. Not only that, but I hate to say they do excel in Naval situations which could easily compensate their F-16s. What about their AWACs and ground radars. A lot more assets to consider besides the aircraft itself.
And PS, don't get me wrong, I am fully supportive of the Greeks in this potential conflict but I doubt it would escalate beyond a skirmish or two before NATO gets involved in earnest.

And during this time, no new fighter to Turkey. Thank you Mister Trump.

What about their new order for 42 Eurofighter Typhoons?

This is very good and informative thread, I want to ask one question..
Do you Greeks thing your current military strategy is good planned?
I see Greek strategy like this : a navy and land army to defend the islands, then an air force superior enough to destroy military bases, ports and bridges in the Western Turkey.
but while making all these plans, it seems that you only see the Turkish air force as a real competitor and our other advantages are ignored, Even ıf everythin go according to plan and Greek airforce dominate Aegan skies, There will be enough air defence systems to protect Turkish mainland and enough cruise,ballistic,anti ship missiles to hit Greek ships airfields and ports and there is enough satellite systems to coordinate such missile strike.

NATO will never allow a full scale war between two member parties. They'll take that more seriously than the US vs Russia IMO! They'll send a full contingent of UN and international peace keeping forces and insist on a cease fire with the help of Germany, the UK, Italy etc, That's just MO but I would pay as much as I can to see Greek Rafales deploy meteor missiles at Turkish vipers and see how the Turks avoid such potent flying worms!

Except the range of the Rafale is not as great as the F-16, the only drawback so if the viper can elude long enough, eventually it might find itself on the Rafale's 6. That's where the meteor comes in very handy but I still wouldn't underestimate those pesky Turks. Not only that, but I hate to say they do excel in Naval situations which could easily compensate their F-16s. What about their AWACs and ground radars. A lot more assets to consider besides the aircraft itself.
And PS, don't get me wrong, I am fully supportive of the Greeks in this potential conflict but I doubt it would escalate beyond a skirmish or two before NATO gets involved in earnest.
The problem is that our Armed Forces and government take too long to replace the Russian AA systems that we have.

Basically we need to replace:

• OSA-AKM that are on the islands
  • Tor-M1 which will eventually become obsolete due to spare parts and missiles expiring,since we've destroyed our relations with Russia. And the Tor-M1 is now relatively old.
  • I-HAWK PIP III that are already too old

And we also need to replace the S-300PMU1 eventually.

But the Armed Forces take too long to decide and the government is busy with the elections now.

The corvettes are still not coming and the FDI HN need some things installed before we get them. Things that the French have neglected or were not asked to install.

And then Turks complain that "Greeks are arming themselves"....lol.

The problem is that our Armed Forces and government take too long to replace the Russian AA systems that we have.

Basically we need to replace:

• OSA-AKM that are on the islands
  • Tor-M1 which will eventually become obsolete due to spare parts and missiles expiring,since we've destroyed our relations with Russia. And the Tor-M1 is now relatively old.
  • I-HAWK PIP III that are already too old

And we also need to replace the S-300PMU1 eventually.

But the Armed Forces take too long to decide and the government is busy with the elections now.

The corvettes are still not coming and the FDI HN need some things installed before we get them. Things that the French have neglected or were not asked to install.

And then Turks complain that "Greeks are arming themselves"....lol.

The beauty of your post is that it is about as pragmatic as can be. No delusions of grandeur but realistic abilities. Reminds me a lot of General Saad El Din El Shazly whom I know you know pretty well. He knew the limitations we had against the Israelis and tried to warn Sadat who just didn't believe it and got us in trouble in 1973 because of his stubbornness that the enemy wasn't as good as they were. Everyone knows to never underestimate your enemy no matter what. Still, once the Hellenic Vipers are mostly upgraded, air superiority should be a huge advantage before the Turks get all their EFTs.

Hey even the Mirage 2Ks will be fitted with meteors from what I saw. This isn't the pic I was looking for. The other had the missile already mounted on the wing pylon I believe.

R.b56225bf8389daa3bda1c494134a3946

@BON PLAN , what's up with vettes & FDI HN?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom