Greece frets over Turkey's ties to Iran

Babur Han

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Greece frets over Turkey's ties to Iran
Ankara's NATO role questioned
By Ben Birnbaum

Turkey's growing ties to Iran and opposition to NATO missile defenses targeting Tehran are raising "many doubts about Turkey's future" among officials in the alliance, Greece's No. 2 defense official says.

"I'm a bit pessimistic about the Turkish future," Greek Deputy Defense Minister Panagiotis A. Beglitis said in an interview with The Washington Times. Mr. Beglitis was in Washington on Thursday for meetings with Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen and other Pentagon officials.

Mr. Beglitis said Turkey's government recently "objected to mentioning Iran as a potential threat in a NATO text concerning" missile-defense doctrine.

"Also, they objected very, very recently to [the Security Council] of the United Nations concerning sanctions against Iran. They voted against sanctions. That's the reality. We have to pay attention to that," he said.

Mr. Beglitis said he does not know what the future holds for Turkey's place within NATO, but he said Greece "share the same concerns with many, many colleagues within the alliance."

Greek Deputy Defense Minister Panagiotis A. Beglitis says he is concerned about the Turkish government's growing ties with Iran. In an interview Thursday, he said it may have an impact on the NATO alliance. (Associated Press)"I can tell you I would not be surprised to see a Turkey outside of the Western institutions and playing an autonomous strategic role in the whole region."

Turkish officials declined to comment on Mr. Beglitis' statements.

Turkey also had a strong alliance with Israel until December 2008, when Israel launched its 22-day war against Hamas in Gaza. Relations further deteriorated after May 31, when nine Turkish nationals were killed in a confrontation with Israeli commandos aboard a ship seeking to run Israel's blockade of the territory.

Turkey has demanded an apology from Israel for the deaths. Israel has refused.

Greece, a historical rival of Turkey, meanwhile, has been developing closer ties to Israel.

Greece frets over Turkey's ties to Iran - Washington Times

Pakistan has noting to do with this topic.

And yes Greece should mind its own business.

Agree with ur last statement
But doesn't Nato act like a single block i.e. if the missile shield is to be deployed it be deployed in all NATO countries n Turkey I think has some reservation regarding this missile shield
Greece may have spiced up things due to its rivalery with Turkey but can turkey say no to this sys. n be a part of NATO can u plz clear it for me
Can u enlighten me abt reservation of Turkey on this missile defence shield

Agree with ur last statement
But doesn't Nato act like a single block i.e. if the missile shield is to be deployed it be deployed in all NATO countries n Turkey I think has some reservation regarding this missile shield
Greece may have spiced up things due to its rivalery with Turkey but can turkey say no to this sys. n be a part of NATO can u plz clear it for me
Can u enlighten me abt reservation of Turkey on this missile defence shield

Most of Turkish people and Turkish government do not consider Iran as a threat. Iran Turkey border has not changed since 400 years. We have no problems with Iranian people. We have increasing trade relations. So Turkish government does not want this missile shield to be seen only for Iran.

Most of Turkish people and Turkish government do not consider Iran as a threat. Iran Turkey border has not changed since 400 years. We have no problems with Iranian people. We have increasing trade relations. So Turkish government does not want this missile shield to be seen only for Iran.

How will Turkey NATO relation pan out for Turkey not agreeing to Missile defense shield

I think NATO as as a whole supportin US against Iran n its nuclear progm. wat is Turkey's official position regarding Iran nuclear progm.

How will Turkey NATO relation pan out for Turkey not agreeing to Missile defense shield

I think NATO as as a whole supportin US against Iran n its nuclear progm. wat is Turkey's official position regarding Iran nuclear progm.

The missile shield is just another thing they disagree on. I don't think you can find a single western country who doesn't have Iran-phobia and is hellbent on preventing the country from developing. At least that's how I see it.

Iran is surrounded by a lot of countries who're either in NATO or otherwise less developed than they are. Wanting to be self-relient on energy is not a crime, they can't even refine 100% of the oil they pump up, probably because of outdated machines.

Turkeys officials standing is pretty clear, in my opinion, they're against nukes, but agrees that every country has the right to acquire/build nuclear power plants etc.

More and more Greeks seek work in Turkey

Monday, November 15, 2010
YIOTA MYRTSIOTI
THESSALONIKI - Kathimerini

Fifty years ago, Greek workers moved to Germany when Greece was unable to offer them an adequate standard of living. Now a new wave of emigration is building up, as many Greeks are looking for work abroad.

The search is no longer confined to Western Europe and includes Turkey. Dozens of requests from jobless Greeks are being sent to the Greek consulate in Istanbul each week. Applications are also being made at the Greek-Turkish Chamber of Northern Greece in Thessaloniki.

“At this time last year, our consulate had not received a single request for work. They started coming at the start of the year and have been building up gradually,” Yiannis Karkanis, head of the consulate's commercial section, told Sunday's Greek daily Kathimerini. “The Greeks who approach us are, for the most part, couples and heads of families. They come from all parts of Greece. Most of them don't have special skills, nor do they speak Turkish. But when they look for a job as a laborer in Turkey, where salaries start at 300 euros per month, they are either desperate or they don't know anything about the country that they want to emigrate to.”

On the other hand, young people who have approached the chamber in Thessaloniki are highly educated, with university degrees and post-graduate degrees and knowledge of the Turkish language. “This began in the last six months and continues on a daily basis, with at least one request each day,” the chamber's president, Zano Apikyan, told Kathimerini. “What's impressive is that quite a few Greeks speak Turkish. The Turkish departments of language schools are blooming.”

The fact that more than 400 Greek companies are active in Turkey is playing a key role in this growing interest. “Every foreign investment in Turkey is welcome. They believe that this helps in the fight against unemployment,” Apikyan said.

Istanbul brimming with opportunities

Dimitris Sourvalis, a criminologist, offered the viewpoint of someone who is interested in working in Turkey. “In the past year, there is growing interest in Istanbul. The bad economic climate in our country and the lack of opportunity for young people are creating a climate of despair,” he said. “This cannot be absorbed either by the academic establishment or by private business. On the other hand, in Turkey we see there is potential for us.”

Sourvalis is currently a post-graduate student in Thessaloniki's Balkan Studies department, specializing in Turkey's social, political and cultural structures. His choice has a practical side: Istanbul is the closest Balkan metropolis to northern Greece and it is a hub brimming with opportunities.

Medea Tsartsidou, 29, has been trying to find a job in Greece for the past six years. She graduated from the Balkan Studies department in Florina and has worked occasionally as a translator for businesses operating in Turkey. “The potential for finding a steady job in Greece is diminishing. Now, with the crisis, all hope is being lost,” she said. As the child of Russian-speaking ethnic Greeks, she chose a postgraduate degree in Turkish studies.

Twenty-five-year-old Georgia Yiambouri knows Turkish and Serbian and has studied Turkey's culture, history and language at the postgraduate level. “Theoretically, we have specialized in the Balkans, but, in practice, in Greece there are no opportunities for work. Istanbul is a solution. I have been trying, sending my CV to companies, to universities. I'll even consider further studies there,” she said.

Athens daily Kathimerini is a strategic partner of the Hürriyet Daily News.

More and more Greeks seek work in Turkey

Monday, November 15, 2010
YIOTA MYRTSIOTI
THESSALONIKI - Kathimerini

Fifty years ago, Greek workers moved to Germany when Greece was unable to offer them an adequate standard of living. Now a new wave of emigration is building up, as many Greeks are looking for work abroad.

The search is no longer confined to Western Europe and includes Turkey. Dozens of requests from jobless Greeks are being sent to the Greek consulate in Istanbul each week. Applications are also being made at the Greek-Turkish Chamber of Northern Greece in Thessaloniki.

“At this time last year, our consulate had not received a single request for work. They started coming at the start of the year and have been building up gradually,” Yiannis Karkanis, head of the consulate's commercial section, told Sunday's Greek daily Kathimerini. “The Greeks who approach us are, for the most part, couples and heads of families. They come from all parts of Greece. Most of them don't have special skills, nor do they speak Turkish. But when they look for a job as a laborer in Turkey, where salaries start at 300 euros per month, they are either desperate or they don't know anything about the country that they want to emigrate to.”

On the other hand, young people who have approached the chamber in Thessaloniki are highly educated, with university degrees and post-graduate degrees and knowledge of the Turkish language. “This began in the last six months and continues on a daily basis, with at least one request each day,” the chamber's president, Zano Apikyan, told Kathimerini. “What's impressive is that quite a few Greeks speak Turkish. The Turkish departments of language schools are blooming.”

The fact that more than 400 Greek companies are active in Turkey is playing a key role in this growing interest. “Every foreign investment in Turkey is welcome. They believe that this helps in the fight against unemployment,” Apikyan said.

Istanbul brimming with opportunities

Dimitris Sourvalis, a criminologist, offered the viewpoint of someone who is interested in working in Turkey. “In the past year, there is growing interest in Istanbul. The bad economic climate in our country and the lack of opportunity for young people are creating a climate of despair,” he said. “This cannot be absorbed either by the academic establishment or by private business. On the other hand, in Turkey we see there is potential for us.”

Sourvalis is currently a post-graduate student in Thessaloniki's Balkan Studies department, specializing in Turkey's social, political and cultural structures. His choice has a practical side: Istanbul is the closest Balkan metropolis to northern Greece and it is a hub brimming with opportunities.

Medea Tsartsidou, 29, has been trying to find a job in Greece for the past six years. She graduated from the Balkan Studies department in Florina and has worked occasionally as a translator for businesses operating in Turkey. “The potential for finding a steady job in Greece is diminishing. Now, with the crisis, all hope is being lost,” she said. As the child of Russian-speaking ethnic Greeks, she chose a postgraduate degree in Turkish studies.

Twenty-five-year-old Georgia Yiambouri knows Turkish and Serbian and has studied Turkey's culture, history and language at the postgraduate level. “Theoretically, we have specialized in the Balkans, but, in practice, in Greece there are no opportunities for work. Istanbul is a solution. I have been trying, sending my CV to companies, to universities. I'll even consider further studies there,” she said.

Athens daily Kathimerini is a strategic partner of the Hürriyet Daily News.

I guess in the next 10 years Half of greece will go to other countries(Such as turkey) to find work.They're drowning in the crisis.

I guess in the next 10 years Half of greece will go to other countries(Such as turkey) to find work.They're drowning in the crisis.

I agree with you but not only crisis will make them work in other countries.I think main reason will be that they don't have heavy industry ... They don't(didn't) produce any thing !!! They used to live lazy a life since joined to EU with financial supporting ... Now other countries turned off the tap for Greece.

I agree with you but not only crisis will make them work in other countries.I think main reason will be that they don't have heavy industry ... They don't(didn't) produce any thing !!! They used to live lazy a life since joined to EU with financial supporting ... Now other countries turned off the tap for Greece.

Since the "union" is so helpfull.They'll keep on helping greece.But when'll they stop it and tell greece to Work?

Many people are seeing this as an ideological shift when in fact it is nothing of the sort. Why should Turkey harm its business interests? Greece is, as usual, trying to portray Turkey in a negative light.

Back
Top Bottom