What's new

Greater China Education, School & University: News & Discussions

Is that because you are an alumni? I am, and so was hoping for that too.

That i'am... Did my post graduate there, Was a undergraduate at Deakin, When it was still a decent place to get a degree then.. :-)

RMIT was atleast ranked in the top 4 those days i'm talking early 2000's, Wonder what made it slide down

There is friendly rivalry between Sydney, NSW and Melbourne, Victoria.
Okay, not so friendly, we don't like each other, LOL.
Victorian universities are doing well but not so for NSW.
If you read through the article, you will find that "money talks, bullsh*t walks".

========
SEPTEMBER 22 2016
Times Higher Education rankings: Australia's success not guaranteed as Asia rises
Eryk Bagshaw, The Sydney Morning Herald

The University of Sydney has dropped four places in the world's most prestigious university rankings list, the latest report from Times Higher Education has revealed.

According to the report, due to be released around the world on Thursday, Australia took out 23 places in the world's top 400 universities.

The nation's oldest tertiary institution, the University of Sydney, dropped from 56 to 60 this year, tying with the University of Queensland, while its Sydney rival UNSW moved up four places to 78.

The University of Melbourne is once again the country's highest ranking institution at No. 33, while Australian National University came in second as the 47th best university in the world.

View attachment 338058
For the first time in the ranking's 13-year-history the University of Oxford took out top spot.

For the first time in the ranking's 13-year-history the University of Oxford took out top spot, knocking off the California Institute of Technology, which has held the crown for the past six years.

The Times ranking system relies on surveys completed by academics as well as the number of research citations per academic. It attempts to take into account teaching quality by measuring factors such as the number of doctorate students to bachelor students.

Phil Baty, the editor of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, said Australia's ranking success cannot be guaranteed in the long-term while more of Asia's leading universities join the top of the list.

"Australia will have to watch out for Asia's continuing ascent. The higher education superpower has two new entries in the top 100 and a further four institutions joining the top 200," he said.
University of Sydney dropped from 56 to 60, tying with the University of Queensland. Photo: Paul Jones

China now has two top 40 universities, while the National University of Singapore – at 24th – comes in nine places higher than Melbourne University.

The statistics will worry the Australian international student market, now the country's third-biggest export worth nearly $20 billion a year.

View attachment 338060
Melbourne University is the highest-ranked university in Australia. Photo: Joe Armao

"Australia is a key research partner for many Asian universities so the nation can capitalise on the region's success, although it may find it harder to attract top Asian students and academics," Mr Baty said.

The warning was echoed by federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham.

"While these results are positive, we must continue to foster excellence and innovation in our universities to remain internationally competitive," he said.

UNSW's deputy vice-chancellor of research, Nicholas Fisk, said universities were just as likely to be competing with institutions down the road as they were with ones thousands of kilometres north.

"The competition is completely global these days. Good research is done by large interdisciplinary teams, all the centres of excellence have nodes in other universities in Australia," he said. "It is a very international outlook.

"These days there are more and more universities on the list and with the huge rise in east Asian universities, even staying still is a huge achievement."

The Group of Eight, which represents Australia's top eight ranked universities, said the rankings should be a reminder about the importance of research funding as the federal government stalls on university funding reform.

A $3.2 billion "zombie" university funding cut has remained in the Turnbull government's budget with little hope of passing the Senate after twice being rejected.

"If Australia's leading research-intensive universities cannot in the future maintain their excellent rankings, then Australia will take an economic and jobs hit that the nation can ill afford," Go8 CEO Vicki Thomson said.

"This is why the Go8 continues to be vocal about the need to ensure our research is sustainably funded because that is the foundation of future success," she said.
The problem is, you don't have real local industry to support a bright future for graduates.
Making money from those worst students in China is short-term profits.
It's better to centre on agricultural science.
China has just lifted ban on beef from US.
Competition among US, Brazil, Australia and New Zealand will be heated.

That i'am... Did my post graduate there, Was a undergraduate at Deakin, When it was still a decent place to get a degree then.. :-)

RMIT was atleast ranked in the top 4 those days i'm talking early 2000's, Wonder what made it slide down

I got both my Masters degrees at RMIT in CS, back in 2001-03. As far as I remember, RMIT was rated different on different fields. And 4th position was probably from Australian rankings.

University of Birmingham signs engineering agreement with top Chinese institution
2016-10-09 00:12:54 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Fu Yu

20161009000303299_37273.jpg

Professor Jon Frampton and Professor Feng Chen sign the new agreement between the University of Birmingham and Beijing Jiaotong University. [Photo courtesy of University of Birmingham]

The University of Birmingham has signed an agreement with Beijing Jiaotong University (BJTU) in a partnership that will offer Chinese engineering students the opportunity to study at Birmingham.

Students at the Chinese university will spend the fourth and final year of their degree studying their choice of engineering modules at Birmingham. They will then have the opportunity to pursue a Master's degree programme in their chosen engineering field at Birmingham.

Professor Jon Frampton, Director of the China Institute, Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor (China) signed the agreement on behalf of the University of Birmingham, whilst attending a conference in Beijing marking the 120th anniversary of BJTU.

Professor Frampton said: "Signing this agreement with colleagues at Beijing Jiaotong University marks the start of an exciting new era of close collaboration between our two universities in the key field of engineering – particularly relating to railways.

"It is testament to our growing reputation in China and presents another exciting opportunity for the University of Birmingham to work in partnership to deliver high-quality education that has a global impact."

Professor Frampton was invited to attend the 2016 Global University Presidents Summit in Beijing, where he presided over a discussion on "The Role of Universities on Technological Innovation and Entrepreneurship".

BJTU Vice-Chancellor Professor Feng Chen said "This new agreement sees a closer and stronger partnership between our two universities and places a high value on our solid cooperation in the field of rail traffic control and security.

"I hope that, after reaching a consensus, we see further progress in establishing a Sino-UK Rail Research Centre and the enhancement of rail expertise and opportunities in both China and the UK."

4 out of Top10 Best Engineering Universities are in China
18 out of Top50 are Chinese (12 mainland China + 4 HK + 2 Taiwan)

Tsinghua University beat out the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for the top spot in the Best Global Universities for Engineering ranking, according to the U.S. News and World Report 2017 Best Global Universities rankings that were published on October 25, 2016.

Tsinghua University also was named among the very best in the following subject rankings: the 2nd place as the Best Global Universities for Computer Science, 6th for Chemistry, 8th for Materials Science and 24th for Physics.

1.jpg

4 out of top 10 are Chinese universities
2.jpg

3.jpg

Tsinghua University
Tsinghua_University_logo.png

5ACE2C57DD9D95DE428D58A47D602840.jpg
view2.jpg

@TaiShang @Two @Dungeness @cirr @Chinese Bamboo at al

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/engineering

Last edited:

Tsinghua University beat out the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for the top spot in the Best Global Universities for Engineering ranking, according to the U.S. News and World Report 2017 Best Global Universities rankings that were published on October 25, 2016.

Tsinghua University also was named among the very best in the following subject rankings: the 2nd place as the Best Global Universities for Computer Science, 6th for Chemistry, 8th for Materials Science and 24th for Physics.

View attachment 346857

View attachment 346858
View attachment 346859

Tsinghua University

View attachment 346864 View attachment 346863

@TaiShang @Shotgunner51 @Two @Dungeness @cirr @ahojunk @Chinese Bamboo at al

Tsinghua, Zhejiang, Harbin IT and Shanghai Jiaotong are all my top picks.

P.S. I didn't receive any tag. Try not tag more than 5 otherwise it may not function.

View attachment 346857

View attachment 346858
View attachment 346859

Tsinghua University

@TaiShang @Shotgunner51 @Two @Dungeness @cirr @ahojunk @Chinese Bamboo at al

Congrats to our Chinese friends

View attachment 346857

View attachment 346858
View attachment 346859

Tsinghua University
View attachment 346875

@TaiShang @Two @Dungeness @cirr @Chinese Bamboo at al

Wow....U guys are just unstoppable...background of that fist pic is simply awesome...:china:

That's great news. Congrats China. I guess now Chinese should modify their visa rules to enable foreigners to study and work in China. Bringing foreign talents to study and research in best universities is the way to go. It will help China in the long run.

Thats great news. Congrats China. I guess now Chinese should modify their visa rules to enable foreigners to study and work in China. Bringing foreign talents to study and research in best universities is the way to go. It will help china in the long run.

Thanks! There are already many foreigners studying, working or just residing (e.g. spouses) in China. My workplace (Lujiazhui, Shanghai) is like a mini-UN, the district where I live also. I rent three Shanghai apartments out, all three tenants are foreigners.

Welcome to China!

logo.jpg.png

China seeks more students from Southeast Asian countries
Jakarta | Tue, October 25, 2016

2016_10_24_14512_1477303081._large.jpg

As reported by Antara news agency, there are currently 68,000 Southeast Asians studying in China. (Shutterstock/File)

Read more at http://www.thejakartapost.com/youth...-students-from-southeast-asian-countries.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom