What's new

Greater China Education, School & University: News & Discussions

You know the list is BS when Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial College aren't in the top 10.

all of which are rather weak in engineering, particularly none of which covers a broad range of what might be termed "engineering". IC for example has a very limited number of faculties compared to the true engineering giants listed in the OP.

That's awesome! Just in a few decades Chinese universities are already among the best in the world. From this trend alone I can see China is going to dominate the world. No wonder the west is a little worry, to say the least.

4 out of the top 10 are Brit

QS World University Rankings® 2014/15 | TopUniversities

Cambridge usually tops out Harvard.

I know these rankings. But I am talking about the real fact. I don't know much about engineering majors, but the UK business schools are really miles behind the US B schools.

The only B school in the UK can match the US level is probably LBS, still it is only 11th in the world. SAID Business Schoold of Oxford is only 22th, Judge Business School of Cambridge doesn't even make it into top 50.....

This is QS world ranking, I would rather believe US News ranking, which is more objective.

The World's Best Business Schools - Business Insider

Harvard No1. Even if we look at the comprehensive ranking, UK still sucks, only 3 make into top 20, together with the other 16 US and 1 Canadian universities.

Top World University Rankings | US News Best Global Universities

Last edited:
I know these rankings. But I am talking about the real fact. I don't know much about engineering majors, but the UK business schools are really miles behind the US B schools.

The only B school in the UK can match the US level is probably LBS, still it is only 11th in the world. SAID Business Schoold of Oxford is only 22th, Judge Business School of Cambridge doesn't even make it into top 50.....

This is QS world ranking, I would rather believe US News ranking, which is more objective.

The World's Best Business Schools - Business Insider

Harvard No1. Even if we look at the comprehensive ranking, UK still sucks, only 3 make into top 20, together with the other 16 US and 1 Canadian universities.

Top World University Rankings | US News Best Global Universities
Agree US news is more accurate than QS.

Extraction of Uranium from Seawater“,by Professor Wang Jun his and team at Harbin Institute of Technology(sorry,it is Harbin Engineering University。Even Chinese are often confused by the two well-known establishments:hitwall::D

哈尔滨工程大学28日对外发布,该校“先进海洋材料协同创新中心”研发出高效“海水提铀”新材料,引发国际关注。

Harbin Engineering University 28 announced, the school "collaborative advanced marine materials R & D innovation center" efficient "uranium from seawater" new material, caused international concern.

该创新中心通过酯化与聚合反应对某种植物纤维进行表面改性,研发出高吸附容量、高选择性的铀吸附剂,并攻克了铀的吸附、脱附与分离纯化一体化的提取技术难题。

The innovation center through esterification and polymerization reaction to a plant fiber surface modification, develop high adsorption capacity, high selectivity of uranium adsorbent, and overcome the uranium adsorption, desorption and extraction and separation and purification of the integration of technical problems.

铀是重要的核电原料,而中国陆地铀资源匮乏,铀资源的存储量关系到中国核电的可持续发展。全球海水中铀的总量高达45亿吨,被公认为是核电的未来,与其它海洋化学资源相比,铀资源浓度更低,结构更复杂,提取难度更高。因此,用于提取铀的萃取剂或吸附剂必须具有对铀极高的萃取或吸附能力和选择性。经济性地制备高效率、高选择性和稳定耐用的提取剂是实现大规模海水提铀的关键。海洋提铀技术涉及化学、材料、核能、海洋等多学科领域,尤其是需要海洋提取实践经验和分离纯化技术,这些因素使从海水提铀的成本远高于对陆地铀的开采。

Uranium is an important raw material of nuclear power, and China terrestrial uranium resource scarcity, uranium resources storage quantity in relation to the sustainable development of nuclear power China. The total amount of the global uranium in sea water up to 45 tons, is recognized as the future of nuclear power, compared with other marine chemical resources, uranium resources in lower concentration, the structure is more complex, higher extraction difficulty. Therefore, extracting agent for extracting uranium or adsorbent must have high on uranium extraction or adsorption capacity and selectivity. Extracting agent economic preparation of high efficiency, high selectivity and stability and durability is the key to achieve large-scale uranium from seawater. Marine uranium extraction technology relates to the chemical, materials, nuclear energy, marine and other areas, especially the need of marine extraction practice experience and separation purification technology, these factors make the extraction of uranium from seawater is much higher than the cost of the land of uranium mining.

哈尔滨工程大学“先进海洋材料协同创新中心”王君教授介绍,在模拟海水的实验条件下,他们团队研发的吸附剂对铀酰离子的吸附容量高达3毫克/克。其研究成果使从海水中提取铀向经济化时代迈出重要一步,引发国际关注。目前,日、美等国在研究海水提铀领域起步较早、水平较高。据日本科学家测算,每千克陆地铀的成本是1.5万日元,而每千克海水铀的成本是3万日元。王君教授的团队所研发的新材料,使海水提铀的成本逐渐降低,使其成为一种很有前景的非常规核燃料供应来源。

"Harbin Engineering University marine materials advanced collaborative innovation center" Professor Wang Jun introduced, in simulated seawater under the experimental conditions, their team development of agents on adsorption of uranyl ion adsorption capacity of up to 3 mg / g. The research results make the extraction of uranium from seawater to economic era an important step, caused international concern. At present, Japan and the United States in the research field of uranium from seawater to start earlier, higher levels of. According to the Japanese scientists estimates, land cost per kilogram of uranium is 15000 yen per kilogram of seawater, and the cost of uranium is 30000 yen. New materials of Professor Wang Jun's team of R & D, the uranium from seawater cost decreased gradually, make it become a kind of unconventional nuclear fuel supply source is very promising.

all of which are rather weak in engineering, particularly none of which covers a broad range of what might be termed "engineering". IC for example has a very limited number of faculties compared to the true engineering giants listed in the OP.
Yes, 'The Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine' is weak in engineering, :partay: even though it's rated as joint 2nd best in the world.

This is just a news site. Check QS rankings, their entire project is comparing Universities.

UK top universities are nowhere close to even top 20 US universities.
Not really. The three I mentioned top most US institution bar MIT, and maybe Harvard.

in Engineering ? :cheesy::dirol:
Here you go. Engineering ranking by QS (most reliable source)

QS World University Rankings by Faculty 2014 - Engineering and Technology | TopUniversities

UK unis are known worldwide for their standards. Engineering is lacking, yes, but Cambridge and Imp. college still top most.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom