What's new

Govt set to convert Gilgit-Baltistan into fifth province

seems that most of the Indian posters have no idea about the local politics and local demands, and even what Pakistani political and military leadership has planned out for the future. Take a hint from FATA reforms, GB reforms, NAP...

Going by what is happening on twitter, your ppl don't seem to be happy about it.
On social media where ppl don't fear getting muted,they give their very honest opinion.

Going by what is happening on twitter, your ppl don't seem to be happy about it.
On social media where ppl don't fear getting muted,they give their very honest opinion.
Best thing can happen this year after UP election. :D

The legal aspects must be examined very carefully if Pakistan is not to further jeopardize its claims.
I think if such a big step is being taken we must have studied all the angles. I hope you too are in favor of this decision.
Doesn't matter. They don't form the majority. Take a look at what Pakistanis think of this on PDF.
There have been protests in GB for this demand. This demand is being met because of CPEC, say if CPEC wasn't passing through GB i don't think political leadership would give a crap about these reforms.

It is a good development. Bringing G-B into the main stream politics will bring good for the people of the area.

ISLAMABAD – The government has decided to convert Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) into a fifth province of Pakistan.

According to Geo news, Inter-Provincial Coordination Minister Riaz Hussain Pirzadar has said that a committee headed by Special Assistant to Prime Minister Sartaj Aziz had proposed giving the status of a province to GB. The government has approved the suggestion.

Pirzada added that a bill to amend the Constitution of Pakistan in this regard will be presented in the National Assembly following the suggestion.

He added that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will also utilise his special powers to grant GB the status of a province.
https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/headline/govt-set-to-convert-gilgit-baltistan-into-fifth-province/
And the Azadi ki nautanki goes out of window... good job.. Cat is out of the bag.. finally. Pakistan wants Kashmir for itself.. all this azadi talk is just hogwash.

lets hope they are not Ajad Kashmiris who says fir sey :D

It was an old demand of GB,istanis it will put Ajk and GB against each other but i think GB,istanis shouldnt be held hostage over Kashmir issue

lets hope they are not Ajad Kashmiris who says fir sey :D

It was an old demand of GB,istanis it will put Ajk and GB against each other but i think GB,istanis shouldnt be held hostage over Kashmir issue
Residents of AJK aren't concerned, it's the political elite that is scared. One can guess why.

The legal aspects must be examined very carefully if Pakistan is not to further jeopardize its claims.

Our "legal" claim as per the UN resolution rests on an inherent bias towards India with regards to troop movements. Most Pakistanis will demand a referendum to decide the future status of Kashmir (which is a completely legitimate demand), but the UN resolution states that such a referendum can only be held in the context of Pakistan removing all of its armed forces from AJK and GB, and Indian troops moving in to replace them (which is never going to happen voluntarily). Generations of Pakistani PM's and Presidents have deluded Pakistanis into thinking that the holding of the referendum is a simple issue which India is avoiding, but every time Pakistan brings it up on an international forum, India has responded by demanding Pakistan first remove its troops, a diplomatic "checkmate" if you will. The result is the people of these regions existing in limbo, not enjoying their full rights as Pakistani citizens despite having sacrificed so much.

By integrating GB and AJK as integral parts of Pakistan, we will give up our claim on Kashmir as per the UN resolutions. However the right of self determination is enshrined in the UN charter, and can always be used by minorities within countries to break apart. It was used extensively during the Balkan wars by the likes of Croatia and Slovenia. Personally I am in favor of this as CPEC has the potential to turn our nation's fortunes around. GB however is the lifeline of this project, and the Chinese wont be willing to go "all in" unless their investments are protected from territorial changes.

Residents of AJK aren't concerned, it's the political elite that is scared. One can guess why.
There are many groups in AJK who use this to resort to unwanted political activities

Normally the masses rarely ever are. They simply want to live a normal content and happy life and provide for their families. Its the political groups and politicians and the elite who profit from this that speak rubbish. As for social media. I would raise

A. There are many fake accounts like those baluch accounts and quite frankly between you and me, online people always cry. They will burn a homosexual yet have rainbow DP when Ireland legalizes gays and say progression. Moral of the story. Social media is not a scale to learn the thinking of people. And I say all platforms.

B. I have mostly seen Indians resisting this and many are shouting as usual for War and invasions. Their media. Fact is that they continuously cried oh GB is a colony and does not have rights and now when we are giving it to them, they say why. If they can cry about FATA being merged ( yes Indians on social media) then they can say about this as well. Moral of the story. Nobody gives a shit about them.

As for AJK. As @Zibago said. It's basically the Crux of the matter.

By integrating GB and AJK as integral parts of Pakistan, we will give up our claim on Kashmir as per the UN resolutions.

Is Pakistan ready to accept such a possibility?

I think if such a big step is being taken we must have studied all the angles. I hope you too are in favor of this decision.

Please see above.

Is Pakistan ready to accept such a possibility?
I think the quoted part is an opinion rather than a reality. Or the poster might be a time traveler who knows the future. All angles must have been studied by a number of people. It is not a risk at all.

I think the quoted part is an opinion rather than a reality. Or the poster might be a time traveler who knows the future. All angles must have been studied by a number of people. It is not a risk at all.

Why do you think this possibility is "not a risk at al"?

Back
Top Bottom