What's new

Govt Crackdown on the Islamabad protesters | Updates & Discussions

BwU7D5SCUAALbvq.jpg
Another Hasina Wajid into making.

Who, What, Why: How dangerous is tear gas?

By Rema Rahman
BBC News

_56930067_teargas_afp_464.jpg

Protesters in Cairo have reported severe symptoms after inhaling tear gas used by police. Just how dangerous is tear gas?

Doctors and activists in and around Tahrir Square have claimed a new type of tear gas is being used by police, due to the extreme reactions being reported.

One medical volunteer at a field hospital on the edge of the square said he saw people suffering problems with their nervous system and epileptic fits. Others said people were coughing up blood and collapsing.

This has led some to suggest the Egyptian security forces have been using stronger forms of the gas.

The chemical compound used in most tear gas canisters is o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile, known as CS, and is often used as a means of crowd control by military and police units to force people to disperse quickly.

There are other, stronger chemical structures - one is called CN, which was a precursor of CS. And then there is CR, which is known to be a particularly potent version that is six times more powerful than CS. CR is rarely used and it's banned in the US because it can cause cancer.

But so far there is no evidence that anything other than CS gas has been used, says the BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo.

"None of the cans we saw had evidence they were the more poisonous CR or CN gas. Indeed, of the many journalists and human rights activists investigating the issue, none has come up with a used canister of CR or CN gas."

So how dangerous is CS spray and what could be the reason why symptoms appear to be so severe?

Experts agree that typical effects of common forms of tear gas are a burning, watery sensation in the eyes, difficulty breathing, chest pain, excessive saliva and skin irritation. Heavy exposure can also induce vomiting.

Symptoms begin 20 to 30 seconds after exposure but ease about 10 minutes later once the person has escaped to fresh air, says Neil Gibson, an analyst with IHS Jane's, an intelligence and security publication.

Different types of tear gas with different compounds have their own toxicological effects and levels, says Mr Gibson. "The effects differ mostly in high dosage, but in lower concentrations they are similar."

Authorities use tear gas, namely the CS version, because "it means avoiding the use of something more physical or live rounds [of ammunition]," says Alastair Hay, professor of environmental toxicology at the University of Leeds.

Death is rare but not impossible, he says. It is often the result of a combination of tear gas and other factors such as restraint in police custody where breathing can be further restricted.

"Generally, deaths from exposure to riot control agents are minimal - that's why most countries have them as something to resort to."

But repeated use of tear gas in narrow spaces, such as Mohammed Mahmoud Street near Tahrir Square where many protests have taken place, means people are exposed to it in a smaller space for longer. That has led to more severe problems.

Continue reading the main story
WHO, WHAT, WHY?
_48225998_question_bbc75.jpg

A part of BBC News Magazine, Who, What, Why? aims to answer questions behind the headlines

Also, the strain caused by physical exertion such as a running makes someone coming in contact with tear gas more susceptible to more severe symptoms, says Mr Hay. Breathing becomes more restricted, which could lead to violent coughing that produces blood.

Repeated or prolonged exposure is dangerous, says Steve Wright of Leeds Metropolitan University, who has researched technologies related to policing.

Not only is CS harmful, but people could also be hurt by being hit with a canister, says Mr Wright. Tear gas canisters work much like hand grenades in that a pin is pulled, which triggers an ignition that sends the chemical into the air. Tear gas can also be fired from a gun.

Reports of expired tear gas canisters picked up by protesters in Egypt led to theories that it could be more toxic.

But Mr Wright says if enough time has elapsed that the chemicals have broken down inside the can, then it makes the canister less effective.

BBC News - Who, What, Why: How dangerous is tear gas?
Some times NS reminds me of husnay mubarik

The biggest problem for Tahir ul Qadri's PAT is that nobody died... they wanted to count on deaths and cry more and revolt on the basis of dead bodies... but it didn't happen.

I am afraid what Tahir ul Qadri will do next to incite violence...

’قائد نے کہا کچھ نہیں ہوگا آگے چلتے ہیں‘

اسلام آباد کے سب سے بڑے سرکاری ہسپتال پمز کے ایمرجنسی وارڈ میں لائے جانے زخمیوں کی اکثریت کو پولیس کی مزاحمت کا اندازہ نہیں تھا۔

آنسو گیس سے متاثرہ افراد تو کچھ دیر بعد بات کرنے کے قابل ہوگئے لیکن زخمی ہونے والے افراد کی اکثریت کو سر پر چوٹیں آئیں تھیں اور نیم بے ہوشی کی حالت میں تھے۔

آنسو گیس سے متاثر ہونے والے جہانگیر ایبٹ آباد سے عوامی تحریک کے دھرنے میں سنیچر کو ہی پہنچے تھے۔

جہانگیر کے مطابق ٹی وی کوریج دیکھ کر اندازہ ہوا کہ حالات پرامن ہیں تو وہ بھی اسلام آباد پہنچے اور اپنے قائد طاہر القادری کے وزیراعظم ہاؤس جانے کے اعلان کے ساتھ ہی مارچ شروع کر دیا۔

’قائد نے یقین دہانی کرائی تھی کہ کچھ نہیں ہوگا اب آگے وزیراعظم ہاؤس چلتے ہیں، پولیس کچھ نہیں کہے گی۔ ہم نغموں اور ترانوں کے ساتھ آگے بڑھ رہے تھے کہ اچانک پہلے گولی چلنے کی آواز سنائی دی اور اس کے ساتھ ہی چاروں اطراف سے آنسو گیس کی شیلنگ شروع ہو گئی اور پھر ہسپتال پہنچ کر ہوش آیا۔‘

The biggest problem for Tahir ul Qadri's PAT is that nobody died... they wanted to count on deaths and cry more and revolt on the basis of dead bodies... but it didn't happen.

what do u expect from Qadri a big cheap liar saying meri tabiyat khrab hui q k gas shell gari k ander gira... bullet proof gari surrounder by security women and others or gas shell kahan se aaya??

You are so shameful and disgraced person you hate Pakistani identity hiding behind American Flag ... You are CENTCOM scam so shutup

Says a person with an Afghanistani flag. I don't work for the CentCom. Telling you to be democratic and resolve your issues with dialogue and respect the democratic system immediately qualifies people like me as Jews, RAW, the CIA, CENTCOM and all. While people like me are just telling you to respect the democratic system and let go of the VIOLENT Pakistani mentality that exist in your society. Proof of which can be seen on the Media live from Islamabad. Who attacks their Parliaments and State's Symbols?? People are right when they say that Pakistan has become the most dangerous and extreme place in the entire world. Just take a look at the TV screen and you just see the extreme mentality in IK and Mullah Terrorist's actions, speeches and then in their follower's actions!

Charge List Against Nawaz Sharif and Chaudry Nissar and CO

2013 - Rigged Elections
2013 - Failure to Open probe in Election Rigging
2013 - Failure to Open recount and verification of all ballots to check signs of rigging
2013- Illegal haste process of taking IMF loans, instead of local solution
2013 - Illegal haste process of privitization, with no focus on trying to revive economy
2013 - Illegal promises made to fix electricity crisis in 30-60 days
2013 - No Decision to finish gas pipeline
2013- Proven that few election areas turned out to be rigged , no reaction to apologize
2014 - Illegally stopping Emirates airlines plane causing diplomatic row with UAE
2014 - Visiting Enemy state when it was against Pakistani Interest
2014- Authorizing military operations with out proper planning in north Pakistan
2014- Starting political vendeta against , Mushraf ex army head of Pakistan and ex President of Pakistan
2014 - Illegal detention of Qadri and his workers causing deaths 15-18 people , act worthy of death as capital punishment
2014 - Not allowing FIR (Police complaint) by force and use of power

2014 - Illegal act of puting containers on Pakistani Highways disrupting trade and economy and right to protest
2014 - Damage to Highways due to illegal containers usage
2014 - Not stepping down , from government !!!! By Massive Protest
2014 - Hiring Gangsters to attack the demonstrators going to Islamabad
2014 - Criminal Act of attacking Pakistani Citizens with Police force , reports of gangsters dressed as police force
2014 - 300-400 People injured due to attacks , and unknown number of deaths {10-20 people} , act worthy of death as capital punishment
2014 - Closing out escape route for women and children , by placing containers again endangering the lives of Pakistanis
2014 - Taking 1 Billion Dollars from Another country without telling people where that money is used ?
2014 - Paying $$$ to TV anchors , for biased reporting and trying to close channels which
report against government , anti freedom of press movement

THIS GOVERNMENT IS NOT GOVERNMENT OF PEOPLE !!! We need to put charges against the government !!!

Good effort my friend but every thing will end in smoke because at the end of the day Supreme Court , police and media has all been affected by noora virus.

I am very glad that there were no deaths also and I hope lot of people leave the stupid dharna there now and go home. The next few hours are critical in terms of who falls backs down the protesters or the police.

I still cant believd some people here are defending the two anarchists.

what do u expect from Qadri a big cheap liar saying meri tabiyat khrab hui q k gas shell gari k ander gira... bullet proof gari surrounder by security women and others or gas shell kahan se aaya??
I think people are gathering once again so Tahir ul Qadri may come back once again.

But both TuQ and IK knows what is going to happen if they tried to invade the PM house or any government institution once again. I believe the leadership didn't want to enter the premises but there are about 15,000 people over there, we know the mentality of us Pakistanis, some of them tried to enter the premises and got beaten up by the police.

Now the public would know they can face similar response once again so they will be sitting like a good boy from now onwards

Says a person with an Afghanistani flag. I don't work for the CentCom. Telling you to be democratic and resolve your issues with dialogue and respect the democratic system immediately qualifies people like me as Jews, RAW, the CIA, CENTCOM and all. While people like me are just telling you to respect the democratic system and let go of the VIOLENT Pakistani mentality that exist in your society. Proof of which can be seen on the Media live from Islamabad. Who attacks their Parliaments and State's Symbols?? People are right when they say that Pakistan has become the most dangerous and extreme place in the entire world. Just take a look at the TV screen and you just see the extreme mentality in IK and Mullah Terrorist's actions, speeches and then in their follower's actions!

It was police who opened fire on crowd on NS orders. They were not even near PM house or parliament.

ARY's share holders and partners are IK's buddies and a few big deals in his party and some X-establishment. Its a known factor. No one else including the international media is saying more than 4 serious. But ARY says "SCORES of people died".....talk about instigating hatred and putting fuel on the fire. Propaganda at its best.

IK and others wearing gas masks and have shields i thinks he will say something to PTI supporters

aaa2.png

Back
Top Bottom