What's new

Govt appoints Brigadier (retd) Shuja Hassan as Pakistan Steel Mills CEO

Also add to the list

" i will not appoint War studies expert as CEO of a steel company". Only that way you will make any sense. Just because bad decisions were taken in Past doesn't justofy the appointment.

Ye to wo bat ho gae kay aunti aunti apla beta chars pe raha..

Aunty : ary khair hy pir b. Pehle to sharab peta tha.

Bhai dono ghalt hy....

Khair, i am done with you on this topic. Apne is tarha apni patriotism show krne and i have other means to prove it. Me itna ni girun ga. Thank you for your time

I need not to show anything to anyone.

Furthermore i never disagree that running a corporation is not a job of a general. I am just stating that given the scenario of PSM only a person with powerful political influence yet no political afiliation can address the issue. Right now we have very few such people and retired armed persons are one of them.

In normal circumtances armed persons are not equiped to run an organization in a long term effecient way.

in military rule it was near breakeven and on verge of going to loss that is why musharaf wanted to privatize it ,civil govt also managed it poorly but by this logic it was also not in loss during nawaz and benazir govt in 1990s so better look at greater picture of factors which resulted in these organizations going in loss ,one of which is greater innovation and technological change which resulted in more competition due to new ways of performing tasks which reduce operation costs
ah don't spin this into a tooi party are experts and answer the question. The jaddi pushti kabari lohar self proclaimed. They couldn't run the state steel mill because their own bhattian would go out of business. Yet during military rule itr was in profit! expand on that for us.

in military rule it was near breakeven and on verge of going to loss that is why musharaf wanted to privatize it ,civil govt also managed it poorly but by this logic it was also not in loss during nawaz and benazir govt in 1990s so better look at greater picture of factors which resulted in these organizations going in loss ,one of which is greater innovation and technological change which resulted in more competition due to new ways of performing tasks which reduce operation costs
Psm started losses by end of 90s which then reversed under mushraf by ban on politicaly affiliated worker union.

PSM is the only mill in Pak that can extract iron out of ore directly.

Its valur added manufacturing process can be out dated but ore extraction out of blast furnance was still prevailing method

the problem with military is they focus on short term measures to fix problems but this turn to disaster in long run as evident from rise of load shedding during end of tenure of musharaf and rise in terrorism,now things are very different unlike past and competition as well as innovation is much rapid and world is passing through forth industrial revolution so it will be very difficult to survive in such environment by using similar tactics like we use used in past
Psm started losses by end of 90s which then reversed under mushraf by ban on politicaly affiliated worker union.

PSM is the only mill in Pak that can extract iron out of ore directly.

Its valur added manufacturing process can be out dated but ore extraction out of blast furnance was still prevailing method

Last edited:
A retired military officer who I doubt would even be from the engineering corps to mange a corporate entity isn't a wise decision. the book says so.
Last PSM was having a windfall profit in it's kitty was when Musharraf left it in the hands of PPP & looks like it was Malik Abdul Qayyum (army man) who was in charge. No?

Also add to the list

" i will not appoint War studies expert as CEO of a steel company". Only that way you will make any sense. Just because bad decisions were taken in Past doesn't justofy the appointment.

Ye to wo bat ho gae kay aunti aunti apla beta chars pe raha..

Aunty : ary khair hy pir b. Pehle to sharab peta tha.

Bhai dono ghalt hy....

Khair, i am done with you on this topic. Apne is tarha apni patriotism show krne and i have other means to prove it. Me itna ni girun ga. Thank you for your time

My father in Law also worked in Pakistan Steel for 30 years, took early retirement in 2007 at the time when Steel Mill was actually generating profit under a Military Administrator.

The problems faced by Pakistan Steel Mill right now are neither production related, nor sales or marketing related, they are administration related, PSM needs to layoff all politically hired extra staff, restructure departments, control the worker unions, pay off it's debts, and look for a private party to sign on for running the Mill. Unfortunately a PHD in Metallurgical Sciences is of no use for this as for the next two years there will be no Steel production and Sale, yes once all these issues are settled and PSM is ready to run production again, i am sure we will see a technical person at the helm.

the problem with military is they focus on short term measures to fix problems but this turn to disaster in long run as evident from rise of load shedding during end of tenure of musharaf and rise in terrorism,now things are very different unlike past and competition as well as innovation is much rapid and world is passing through forth industrial revolution so it will be very difficult to survive in such environment by using similar tactics like we use used in past
Agreed, but in short term you do not have any option. Do you ?

I am all ears to have some ideas by which you can address the existing problem of a closed mill where employees want salaries even for doing nothing and opposition and even some people in government support the instance of the workers just to keep people happy.

If you have a professional solution to this madness I am all ears.

Industry 4.0 is a pipeline dream for us as we haven't fully adopted industry 3.0. I bet PSM do not have any ERP and they are still working on manual journals and ledgers. So alot of room for improvement. But do you expect any improvement from a person who is habbitual of getting salary (few months delayed) for doing nothing and has no exposure of the modern world as he was hired in PSM in 80s and PSM never cared about developing them?

You take any action against them they will go on road blocks and court stay order.

So you need someone who can get PSM out of clutches of these bast** only then you can work on converting PSM into a professional organizations with the help of professionals

Good move by IK. Army officers have delivered good results in other endeavours such as CPEC.

Regards

It might be too late by now but mill need a strong administrator to use a danda on poliyical appointees who were a burden on the mill

If this seems to be the only criteria i.e. danda then Uzair Baloch type people should also be given a chance at post retirement bliss.

It is pathetic how members on this forum are defending this appointment. Love for Pakistan and respect for its army does not mean blindly cheering for every move they make. Positive criticism will improve this beloved institution of ours. A highly qualified person with experience in the field was rejected to make way for Brig sb.

Pray tell exactly which institution has ever been turned around by a retired military person? Anyone with an iota of experience in a good MNC and who has seen how military bureaucracy works knows why this is a bad idea and will never work. These guys are stuck in brown sahib complex that the Brits left them with. From cadets to generals they are trained to fight wars, not run corporations.

retired people should not be given any public sector job .what our young generation do if retired peoples again again and again got jobs while fresh graduates did not get even once ?

this is pure injustice

If this seems to be the only criteria i.e. danda then Uzair Baloch type people should also be given a chance at post retirement bliss.

It is pathetic how members on this forum are defending this appointment. Love for Pakistan and respect for its army does not mean blindly cheering for every move they make. Positive criticism will improve this beloved institution of ours. A highly qualified person with experience in the field was rejected to make way for Brig sb.

Pray tell exactly which institution has ever been turned around by a retired military person? Anyone with an iota of experience in a good MNC and who has seen how military bureaucracy works knows why this is a bad idea and will never work. These guys are stuck in brown sahib complex that the Brits left them with. From cadets to generals they are trained to fight wars, not run corporations.

So you are telling me that panadol is for every fever ? Good luck trying that and your patient is as good as dead.

Your argument's validity can be clearly accessed from the fact you are comparing a gangster with an administrator. No point of even having a debate with you.

You dont know anything about the problems of PSM and you dont want to understand them. You do not have a solution but somehow claiming to be an expert.

By the way had you even tried to just study history of PM then you could the example you want. PSM was in losses in late 90s and it was converted to profit by same generals you are condemning now.

Here is the extract of dawn articles with verifiable numbers and facts not your opinion:

"They said that until 1999, the mill was burdened under Rs19 billion loans and its annual loss stood at Rs9.326 billion. Later, it was administratively handed over to retired military officers who started sacking workers to curtail the losses. In 2000, the PS had a workforce of 20,533 which had shrunk to 13,080 now.

The speakers said that according to the PS finance director, the mills had generated Rs26.1 billion revenue in 2000 and its pre-tax profit stood at Rs 4.85 billion. They recalled that on Oct 25, 2005, PS chairman Gen Abdul Qayoom addressed factory workers and announced that in the year 2004-05, the mills had generated Rs 31 billion revenues and its pre-tax profit was Rs10 billion. He had quoted the tax amount paid to the government at Rs8.9 billion."

https://www.dawn.com/news/194439/ka...n revenue in 2000,tax profit was Rs10 billion.

THe source is itself an anti establishment so that you dont start questioning the news itself.

@Yaseen1 @RealNapster

quoting you guys just to share the facts. In principle I agree that it is not job of army to run institution but professionals cant fight political influence already present in organization so we have to get these organization out of political influence and privatized them to be run by professionals only then we can achieve long term sustainability.

By the way guys this is not just news I have seen all this happening with my own eyes. My father retired from PSM in 2014. I born in Steel Town a residential colony owned by PSM for its employees. I used to interact with employees of PSM on daily basis and garden in front of chairman PSM house used to be our playground so I have a lot of first hand information about the destruction of PSM and how it can be revived just like in 2005.

retired people should not be given any public sector job .what our young generation do if retired peoples again again and again got jobs while fresh graduates did not get even once ?

Ham naghmy sun kay wah wah krngy janab. Or Facebook pe unko sjare krty rahn gy u ky short clips bana ky whatsApp pe status daalty rahn hy. Yahe krn gy.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom