What's new

Good: Pakistani Mangoes in Germany

I bought yesterday two cartons of fresh mangoes from a close Pakistani shop.

Price: 5.50 euro per carton

Quality: very good

In Germany there is a market for exotic fruits and products.

So why not shipping more diverse products from Pakistan?

View attachment 568301
Jamaican mangoes are much tastier.

Jamaican mangoes are much tastier.

I find the skins on any mangoes grown in Americas (be it jamaica, venezuela, mexico or wherever) to be too bitter and tough.....and they are just not sweet and tangy enough compared to best desi mango cultivars. In parts of Asia we would also get Australian mangos....same issue, they can grow quite big and fleshy and juicy even....but its not that desi flavour profile depth.

Like Indian like me and Pakistani like those in this thread will argue endlessly about our mangoes being better (compared to each other) etc etc....but really subcontinent mango is just on whole different level to begin with to rest of the world....and it makes sense too if you think about it, since mangos originated there

Like in a heartbeat if I see either Indian or Pak mango in Canada....I will buy it. I avoid anything else (I have sampled them all), just not worth it for me.

I'm very unaware of any such restriction. Maybe it exists for people of a certain "origin" only.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-you-can-and-cant-bring-into-canada-3371025

You CAN NOT Bring These Items Into Canada
  • Food: Fresh fruits and vegetables, animal and fish products. Since you will declare these items at Canadian customs (i.e., you will tell Canadian customs that you have these items), customs agents will determine what is safe to bring in and what is not. Generally, no fresh fruits, vegetables, or fresh/uncooked animal products (meat, fish) will be allowed in.

It's same in US more or less....there is some leeway etc but are pretty stringent overall (I just don't risk it tbh)

You need permit if its your business as importer etc....be it you get it shipped or air/rail-freight

Flying into airports as private individual with fresh produce on you, you will have to declare it at customs...and if its fresh produce, they will inspect and make a decision there....and generally further away in world it is, they less likely they gonna let it thru.

@Pakhtoon yum

Of that were the case then these wouldnt have been flown in, but these came from Pakistan to the UK and then Canada

Generally its left to discretion of the customs agent, they will inspect it (after you declare on ur card), ask you some questions of the origin of it etc. But generally its a no-no in most cases (if fresh).

Normally I just bring in spices, preserved stuff (pickles) etc.. at most. They have no issue with that at all.

I'm very unaware of any such restriction. Maybe it exists for people of a certain "origin" only.

They make some distinction between commercial packaging/sealed/dated etc versus loose produce in a bag etc. Latter definitely they wont let past.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-you-can-and-cant-bring-into-canada-3371025

You CAN NOT Bring These Items Into Canada
  • Food: Fresh fruits and vegetables, animal and fish products. Since you will declare these items at Canadian customs (i.e., you will tell Canadian customs that you have these items), customs agents will determine what is safe to bring in and what is not. Generally, no fresh fruits, vegetables, or fresh/uncooked animal products (meat, fish) will be allowed in.

It's same in US more or less....there is some leeway etc but are pretty stringent overall (I just don't risk it tbh)

You need permit if its your business as importer etc....be it you get it shipped or air/rail-freight

Flying into airports as private individual with fresh produce on you, you will have to declare it at customs...and if its fresh produce, they will inspect and make a decision there....and generally further away in world it is, they less likely they gonna let it thru.

@Pakhtoon yum

Generally its left to discretion of the customs agent, they will inspect it (after you declare on ur card), ask you some questions of the origin of it etc. But generally its a no-no in most cases (if fresh).

Normally I just bring in spices, preserved stuff (pickles) etc.. at most. They have no issue with that at all.

They make some distinction between commercial packaging/sealed/dated etc versus loose produce in a bag etc. Latter definitely they wont let past.
Ah there we go!

Two different set of rules are applied to import via an individual, and import via commercial entity.

Commercial Entities importing with the intent of distribution, have to satisfy safety and health regulations, after which there are no issues, with the exception that there might be tariffs to protect local farmers.

Ah there we go!

Two different set of rules are applied to import via an individual, and import via commercial entity.

Commercial Entities importing with the intent of distribution, have to satisfy safety and health regulations, after which there are no issues, with the exception that there might be tariffs to protect local farmers.

Yah I was just talking about personal individual use etc bringing through airport.

I do buy only Pakistani, but to see Mangoes in winter, I said lets give it a try. Failed experiment.
While I am in perpetual love with Chaunsa and AnweAtol but I never turn down any opportunity to try another variety.

Although not as exotic as the varieties you must have experienced yourself around UAE but I have tasted Chaunsa, Sindhri, AnwerAtol, Duseri, Langra, Saroli, DaisiKhas, Totapari, Baiganphalli, Badsha, Gola, Gulabkhas, Fajri, Nawabpuri and Almas from memory.

Nothing beats Sufaid Chaunsa in my book.
I'll eat a few extra special ones the day you get unbanned my friend.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom