What's new

Going to India

I just think that India and Indians in general need to do something fast, the way the people treat the environment here is not very good and it will be destroyed before you know it, I think it might already be too late, we have gone over the Western Ghats and they are gorgeous and we read somewhere that the Ghats are one of the most diverse eco systems in the world.

But yet we have seen garbage all over, plastic, waste, etc, people just throwing garbage out of buses, cars, trains etc, why do they do this? Sorry I just can't seem to get my mind around this, its just so sad, this lack of respect for the country and most of all for mother nature, that provides us with everything.

Yes Indians do respect the natural world, but I don;t see that as being the case now, if they did then why throw garbage ever where, why spit every where? Why not teach your kids to respect your city, community, country and mother nature?

If the mum and dad throw their rubbish all over without a care then the kids will do the same thing, and it becomes engrained in the mind on these kids, so they grow up and do the same thing.

To us this attitude is very bizarre.

Dearest Shatterpoint,

This is how we are but we are improving and thats what matters

If you liked our country and enjoyed here, COME AGAIN, if u did not, Look for some other, better holiday destination

Thanks

I just think that India and Indians in general need to do something fast, the way the people treat the environment here is not very good and it will be destroyed before you know it, I think it might already be too late, we have gone over the Western Ghats and they are gorgeous and we read somewhere that the Ghats are one of the most diverse eco systems in the world.

But yet we have seen garbage all over, plastic, waste, etc, people just throwing garbage out of buses, cars, trains etc, why do they do this? Sorry I just can't seem to get my mind around this, its just so sad, this lack of respect for the country and most of all for mother nature, that provides us with everything.

The worst is the spitting. They just spit everywhere - pi$ses me off the most.

Yes the spitting is a disgusting habit, and it also spreads viruses like Typhoid, Cholera etc, it's disgusting.

Yes the spitting is a disgusting habit, and it also spreads viruses like Typhoid, Cholera etc, it's disgusting.

As I warned before you left for India, this is how a populous country mired in poverty, backwardness will look like. Most Indians do not have a concept of hygene or privacy. Check out commonwealth game pics.

The privacy aspect I can understand a little, as your populating is huge there is no room for personal space etc, but the spitting, throwing garbage etc all over is the thing that concern's me the most.

Yes Indians do respect the natural world, but I don;t see that as being the case now, if they did then why throw garbage ever where, why spit every where? Why not teach your kids to respect your city, community, country and mother nature?

If the mum and dad throw their rubbish all over without a care then the kids will do the same thing, and it becomes engrained in the mind on these kids, so they grow up and do the same thing.

To us this attitude is very bizarre.

Let me put it this way-
Look Indian r currently in a transition phase there is a lot things going on simultaneously
1. Although we got independence some 6 decades back but the real change has begun from last 10-20 years only.
N due to huge population n poverty people lost sense of belonging towards mother nature to some extent n indulged more in money making.

2. Most people's parents belong to older generation n r less educated bcoz of the reasons mentioned above so they don't understand the true value of nature n through rubbish here n there n their children also learn from them the same thing

3. Most parents n schools don't teach children importance of cleaniness the way they should n r more concerned with regards to acedamic results

4. Many people don't understand n know that plastic is non-degradable substance n should not be thrown every where.

5. Lack of proper n effecient cleaning machanism in cities by Govt. Like u won't find seperate dustbins for recycleable n non recycleable waste as u see in west rather at times u won't even find dustbins at many places

6. Indians have religious beliefs attached with cows so they neither kill them nor capture them n many people do feed them on daily basis as a part of our daily food is reserved for cows.
But this creates many problems like u'll find cows waste all over cities along with cows
Although my personal belief is that they should be taken to some safe place outside cities but lack of govt n people initiatives won't let it happen

Even with all these problems there has been a lot of improvement in many people attitude with respect to nature due to education n awareness

The Govt. has also taken many iniciatives for enviroment awareness among people in last few years which do have a very possitive impact on people
But its still a long way to go...

Western ghats is a huge area ..do you think if its your country you would have preserved it till now ? It would have been industrialised and all trees would have gone ...but you can still see a little glimpse of mother nature with its glory here ..though our population makes us compete for little space available around we still maintained our forests and its increasing due to awareness created during school life itself ...i think you only saw tourist destinations in western ghats but forest is huge for you to explore .. Enjoy your stay ..if you remove your glass of prejudice you can explore a different world there ..otherwise its all waste

Some interesting and valid observations Shatterpoint. I have felt the exact same way when visiting India- the total lack of civic responsibility and laid back attitude to cleanliness of everyone is incdreibl frustrating And is something that cannot reall be changed by government policy- yes schools should teach kids to act responsibly and such by throwing money at the problem won't do anything. What is needed is an organic realisation amongst the people and a change in the mindset. But I have to say going by recent trends the situation in a few years will be better manifold. And remember India is a country in transition and that walking he streets of London or Paris back in the industrial revolution or even up and till the 1920s-30s would not have been the most pleasant experience.

I have faith things will change for the good sooner rather than later.

Throwing out garbage everywhere and and not caring for surroundings, it's largely a cultural thing . It's result of caste system. Also, India was predominantly rural culture. Most people in cities have migrated recently or one generation ago from villages and have not developed urban mindset and have petty Indian village mentality (not saying that Indian urban mindset is not rotten).
btw, why on earth will any tourist go to Thane?

Throwing out garbage everywhere and and not caring for surroundings, it's largely a cultural thing . It's result of caste system. Also, India was predominantly rural culture. Most people in cities have migrated recently or one generation ago from villages and have not developed urban mindset and have petty Indian village mentality (not saying that Indian urban mindset is not rotten).
btw, why on earth will any tourist go to Thane?

Lack of hygene (or rather any knowledge of hygene) puts off too many people, and many Indians get terribly offended when people try to point it out. People get used to garbage/smell etc and do not maintain cleanliness because of that.

Some people say a broken window in a house can risk rest of the houses in the same lane to vandalism. Probably same with hygene.

^^^ useless post. STOP and do not start flaming. If you want post some thing with rational or elaborate it in details to prove your point.

I know indian members here and you can care less about my comment on this thread but common man, quit complaining and try to understand that Indian people are not used to this sudden economical boom that their country is experiencing. It will take them few years to transit from their old lives to new life style. India can't transform into France or Australia in a day, give em some time, hope you understand :tup:

Western ghats is a huge area ..do you think if its your country you would have preserved it till now ? It would have been industrialised and all trees would have gone ...but you can still see a little glimpse of mother nature with its glory here ..though our population makes us compete for little space available around we still maintained our forests and its increasing due to awareness created during school life itself ...i think you only saw tourist destinations in western ghats but forest is huge for you to explore .. Enjoy your stay ..if you remove your glass of prejudice you can explore a different world there ..otherwise its all waste

Sorry to burst your bubble but Australia and most other countries have preserved almost all its natural beauty, you wont find people spitting, throwing garbage from their house, littering, spitting, pissing, shitting on the roads etc.

Sorry it's people like you in India that are destroying this country and you say I am prejudiced? You need to get an idea and stop beating your chest, spend that energy in cleaning up your country first.

Back
Top Bottom