What's new

Going to India

Yes the festival was going on, so that's probably why, the kids love it here, and we all get a lot of attention, I my wife was feeling very uncomfortable with all the Indian men staring at her, even my daughters were getting those stares, and it wasn't isolated, don;t know whats up with that?

I almost got into a fight with about 10 men once who were clicking photos of my wife and daughter, not sure if they will get away with that sort of thing overseas, I have even spoken to a lot of foreign tourist here and they have all said the same thing, it's not very good thing to do.

Can you guys tell me why this happens?

I totaly agree with your point. I am constant reader of Travelblog.org and westerners face staring a common problem. Believe me, They never stare to hurt you and your family. They are just curious because of foreigner visiting their place, about which they have only seen in movies and newspaper photographs. Staring all depends on region you are visiting. In Delhi and other metropolitans you wont face any problem. If you visit interior parts of Uttar Pradesh(except Agra) , problem of staring grows gradually. Other places where you find staring are Himachal pradesh, Rajasthan etc.

Some people may also ask to have your photograph with them, please do not take it insulting as well. They may even click your photograph without your consent. Foreigners (no matter with or black) in India are taken with lot of curiosity. You will get used to of these stares in coming days.

Guys don't get me wrong, my kids are in love with India and when we asked them if they want to return, they said why do we have to leave. India is no doubt a wonderful place, I have enjoyed the culture and the culture shock, and you guys on here have also helped with your hints/tips and kindness.

I know I have also criticized India but don't take it the wrong way, I just think that India has so much potential, but I just feel sad when I see the rubbish everywhere etc, no doubt things have changed and are changing here, and I am just an outsider with my point of view, hope you guys the young of India change the country in more ways.

I totaly agree with your point. I am constant reader of Travelblog.org and westerners face staring a common problem. Believe me, They never stare to hurt you and your family. They are just curious because of foreigner visiting their place, about which they have only seen in movies and newspaper photographs. Staring all depends on region you are visiting. In Delhi and other metropolitans you wont face any problem. If you visit interior parts of Uttar Pradesh(except Agra) , problem of staring grows gradually. Other places where you find staring are Himachal pradesh, Rajasthan etc.

Some people may also ask to have your photograph with them, please do not take it insulting as well. They may even click your photograph without your consent. Foreigners (no matter with or black) in India are taken with lot of curiosity. You will get used to of these stares in coming days.

Don't be pathetic and ridiculous apologetic , In big cities People never stair at foreigners , there always foreigners on every road . In my office one British and two Polish works........ :no:

Guys don't get me wrong, my kids are in love with India and when we asked them if they want to return, they said why do we have to leave. India is no doubt a wonderful place, I have enjoyed the culture and the culture shock, and you guys on here have also helped with your hints/tips and kindness.

I know I have also criticized India but don't take it the wrong way, I just think that India has so much potential, but I just feel sad when I see the rubbish everywhere etc, no doubt things have changed and are changing here, and I am just an outsider with my point of view, hope you guys the young of India change the country in more ways.

U just did a fine job brother criticism about our own faults is always for our own good

Otherthan that i think another problem faced by foreigners is that Indians r a bit over friendly at times n don't value ur privacy that much as u guys r use to in west so that also creates a bit of misunderstanding about India as the culture is very different

Hope u got my point:D

Not taking the wrong way. We know there are huge problems in India, and the cultural shock is too much at times. Besides wherever you go people have good and bad experiences.

You must hear people in france (paris specifically) being rude all the time. But when I was taking a train from fontainebleau to CDG, there was a long queue at the station and i was going to miss my train and flight, so I (and an algerian kid) decided to board without ticket. As luck would have it, a ticket checker arrived (first time in 15 days :)) and I told him we did not have time for buying tickets. At the moment a very old lady spoke something at length to the TC and he left, did not even give me a ticket, let alone a fine.

Then that lady told me in english she told the TC she had seen us (my family and the algerian boy) stand the queue, and that she told him about karma and that if he did a good deed he will get the reward too.

I was so touched, that despite the worlds most romantic city of paris and its great architectural and artistic wonders, that frail old lady is my best memory. I hope she is in good health and doing well.

You been to kerala yet? if yes How was it????

@Shatterpoint
Brother i recommend u to plz try atleast one local dish where ever u go in India there is simply too much variety n different taste
U may try them at any good restaurant as foreigners r prone to hygiene issues

Like if u happens to come to Jaipur then other than visiting palaces plz visit places like ''Choki Dhani'' its a hotel but more of like a resort a lot of people go there n u will be served typical Rajasthani food in Rajasthani style u can also opt for normal food if u want bcoz its a bit spicy n heavy n there r camels, elephants n lot more for ur children n urself :D

@shatterpoint thane is not even mumbai. Mumbai is till mulund.... Thane was worse city due to garbage 20years ago.... There were horses ride (tonga) back than but it changed now.... Thane is not the place to visit. You should be in marine drive, bandra etc etc places. There are many tourist there.... Bandra near mount mary church and also linking road u will see many tourists.... Mostly bandra is catholic city specialy beautiful bandra old catholic town.... Thane i doubt i have seen any tourists over there in my life. In india there are so many tourist places.... Mumbai i wont recommend. For best experience north east tops and also my own birth town Goa.... infact in Goa u wont see many indians. There majority people are brits, french and yep russians.... Infact part of goa took over by russians citizens who refuse to leave beautiful heaven Goa.... Also try to visit kerela, khandala, manali, anurachal pradesh, kashmir etc etc.... Uma therman when comes in her home town in north east india she says she dont want to leave everytime she here.... My friend thane not the place to visit. Its too much noisy, crowdy.... About people staring than its a indian bad habbit but even a horrible mushtach looking guy got a soft heart. He might stare and when u ask him where to go than he will respect u and guide u. If they stare than dont feel like they have bad intension.... They are curious specially at place where there are not many tourists.... India is emotional country. Its different from world.... However garbage is serious problem but it will take some tough law which lacks atm.... Enjoy your stay. Do visit goa specially tourists spots and trust me u and ur family wont forget beautiful memories of india.... Have fun my friend. Best of luck.

Don't be pathetic and ridiculous apologetic , In big cities People never stair at foreigners , there always foreigners on every road . In my office one British and two Polish works........ :no:

Have you even read my post??

You are really pathetic... This is what I said.
................ In Delhi and other metropolitans you wont face any problem...........

:) ...........

What do you mean? We have been respecting the culture here, my wife was not wearing any revealing clothes etc, and my daughters are young.

Bro i think its more about you being foreigners. Most Indians have only seen what a foreigner looks like in movies etc. They were probably curious.

Hey guys,

We are loving it here and India has made a huge impression on us, the good the bad and the ugly. We have eaten food everywhere and we have eaten from the street stalls without getting sick yet although we did have a slight stomach upset, but coconut milk is great for settling your stomach.

I agree in India there is no such thing as personal space and at times for us it has made us uncomfortable, especially our kids, but we have a open mind and can understand that because of your population you cant afford personal space here. But that is just a minor thing, my kids have been saying that India could be so much more beautiful, my girl saw some people throwing rubbish at a really beautiful location in Kerala and she went to them and said why are you doing this, and picked up the rubbish, I was very proud of her and I hope those people learnt a lesson.

All you posters on here know that I don't mean any ill will with my comments, they are just my and my families impressions of your country from an outside point of view, so please don't get u[set with us.

Back
Top Bottom