What's new

Give Hagia Sophia back to Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very often in this beautiful and historic museum and I would be extremely disappointed if anyone wants to revamp the Hagia Sophia into a mosque or church. It was a very wise decision of Atatürk to transform the mosque into a museum. The Hagia Sophia is for this reason peculiar that it units Christian and Islamic symbols together into a beautiful harmonic mosaic

@flamer84 dude, I am Orthodox too.. But whats the benefit of digging the past.. It was a lost cause.. Those who fought for it died long time ago and their bones decayed.. Lets move on.

Oh no arguement from me here,i'm not one those guys who want to see a church restored,it's a great ideea as a museum but i won't be bothered to see her as a mosque as long as we can see it and visit it.

Sry if i snapped at you,i've noticed that even the author of the article is some dude from California,i'm almost sure he's not an orthodox and he talks of Hagia Sophia restored to "Christians".I'm not ok with generalising ,Hagia Sophia belonged to the orthodox christians,other "christians" just defiled it,so it's better for them not to talk at all about it.Let them mind their own business and not ask for things that not even us the orthodox are asking.Nobody cares about their opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
the Question comes in my mind is that today's Christians r secular or atheists. the people who practice the religion r today less then say 1% of today's Christians in all around World.

My "christians" i mean the Eastern Orthodox Church, which in my opinion are more religious then there counterparts in the west and share a lot of the "values" that most people who believe in a creator do.......the orthodox church seems to number between 250-300 million people.

So giving it back to Christians rather atheists a Religious place that too of such a significance is stupid as what will be the use of it in Christians World? Other then maybe few priests rare visits from pope and just Sunday Prayer.

I think your seeing this as a united christian issue rather then a roman catholic v eastern orthodox.
People could say the same about muslims and how the masjid is only full on fridays.

Rather it should be reopened as Mosque like it was made when Islam came to Turkey. this was converted to Mosque to give gesture that now Turkey will follow Islam nothing else.
Muslims r the most practicing Religious people and Quran is the most widely read book in world. So here it should be used as a Mosque as then atleast somebody will come there to offer Prayer 5 times a day. Then just coming in Sunday and easter in Church. The pride of Aya Sofia's Greatness in today's world is definitely with Muslims.

I understand your point ,but dont you think we have enough masjids in Istanbul like the blue mosque and many others, that by giving the Aya Sofia to the orthodox church we show the "generosity" "tolerance" and other postives to the russians-eastern europe and thus give a turbo boost to better relations.
As example i would like to give the one with the russians passing a law banning homosexual propaganda and the programme to build churchs around moscow to show that the orthodox church is not as secular-atheist as you pointed out.
BBC News - Russian Duma passes law banning 'gay propaganda'
A church few steps from home - News - Society - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Muslims r not allowed to pray where idol worshiping or any other non islamic practice happen. So this is enough to burst the bubble of yr mandirs being converted to Mosques.

Did the kaaba not contain idols before the prophet(pbuh) destroyed them?

And exactly thats why there have been no such Mosques in the first place. Muslims r not Stupid to make them on others worshipping places in the first place.

No,that's not true sir.

The part about Muslims not being stupid to destroy temples.

get_out_of_our_castle_540.jpg

Did the kaaba not contain idols before the prophet(pbuh) destroyed them?

The Significance of Kabba is different. It was made by Prophet Ibrahim who has Prophet of Allah like Prophet Muhammad PBUH. And All Prophets preached Allah's message ie Islam. Its even a common Muslim knowledge and is written in Quran.

In short Its totally different case.

My "christians" i mean the Eastern Orthodox Church, which in my opinion are more religious then there counterparts in the west and share a lot of the "values" that most people who believe in a creator do.......the orthodox church seems to number between 250-300 million people.

I think your seeing this as a united christian issue rather then a roman catholic v eastern orthodox.
People could say the same about muslims and how the masjid is only full on fridays.

I understand your point ,but dont you think we have enough masjids in Istanbul like the blue mosque and many others, that by giving the Aya Sofia to the orthodox church we show the "generosity" "tolerance" and other postives to the russians-eastern europe and thus give a turbo boost to better relations.
As example i would like to give the one with the russians passing a law banning homosexual propaganda and the programme to build churchs around moscow to show that the orthodox church is not as secular-atheist as you pointed out.
BBC News - Russian Duma passes law banning 'gay propaganda'
A church few steps from home - News - Society - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video
sir why is it that we Muslims have to be always act like defensive and do things to show off our ''generosity'' ''tolerance'' etc etc and how much will it be appreciated in west and HOW LONG is more important question.

Our Cordaba Mosque is also totally siege atleast we Muslims made Aya Sofia a Museum to make both happy.

But Cordaba Mosque is totally Closed for past 600++ years. Just today in this forum i read that Birmingham Colleges banned Muslim girls for wearing veil. Not long ago Putin banned Girls in Russian School from wearing Veils hahaha and Russia is an Eastern European Country who has the orthodox eastern european Christians yr talking abt. And i havnt even talked abt the propaganda they do in Bulgaria and Romania against Turkey and its Muslim rule in their countries and r spreading fears abt Turkey that they r going to restore Ottoman Empire again and Blah Blah.Some people claim that turkish support of west against syria is has that angel too as it also fears its european neighbors to some extent and it is not pleased of negative propaganda there.

I may not be an expert or experienced like u sir but im Also doing PhD in IR from NDU Islamabad. Geo-Politics and International Relations r my field.

Forgive me of my narrow approach in other post. But I think to show the ''tolerance'' and ''generosity'' policy towards west should change now.

We Muslims (Pakistanis specially) should have sense/policy to negotiate not sense/policy of appeasement.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/276941-birmingham-college-bans-muslim-students-wearing-veils-security.html

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=10614

http://rbth.ru/news/2013/07/10/russian_supreme_court_upholds_ban_on_muslim_headscarves_in_stavropol_sch_27934.html

And i havnt even talked abt the propaganda they do in Bulgaria and Romania against Turkey and its Muslim rule in their countries and r spreading fears abt Turkey that they r going to restore Ottoman Empire again and Blah Blah-

Oh pls talk about it or i'll have to say that you pulled this one out of your a$$.I've never heard this in my country.

Instead of Hagia Sophia how about Turkey letting score a goal in the 2nd half ?

Oh pls talk about it or i'll have to say that you pulled this one out of your a$$.I've never heard this in my country.

Instead of Hagia Sophia how about Turkey letting score a goal in the 2nd half ?

Lol our old coach destroyed our team now we are coming back, even if we beat you today you got easy games ahead.

Lol our old coach destroyed our team now we are coming back, even if we beat you today you got easy games ahead.

Unfortunately we still have the same retarded coach.....Congratulations guys,you were better! I mean...no...time for anti turkish propaganda...damn you infidels! :lol:

Can't even drown the sorrow in some beers,who puts an important game on tuesday with a working day tommorow? :ashamed:

We have some easy games but the dutchies will be on vacation in Istanbul in the last match,you can pull a win with the public behind,better you than the hungarians !

Unfortunately we still have the same retarded coach.....Congratulations guys,you were better! I mean...no...time for anti turkish propaganda...damn you infidels! :lol:

Can't even drown the sorrow in some beers,who puts an important game on tuesday with a working day tommorow? :ashamed:

We have some easy games but the dutchies will be on vacation in Istanbul in the last match,you can pull a win with the public behind,better you than the hungarians !

Ahh damn Hungary is winning now. Is Hungary going to play Holland? If not we are in trouble. Even though Holland will be through they will still play serious and will be touth to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom