What's new

Girl in coma after school punishment dies

abdulrafi

Reaction score
Delhi girl in coma after school punishment dies
17 Apr 2009, 1501 hrs IST, TIMESOFINDIA.COM

NEW DELHI: An 11-year-old girl who slipped into coma after school punishment died on Friday. The girl slipped into coma allegedly after she was hit
by an MCD schoolteacher and made to stand in the sun for over two hours. ( Watch )

The girl, Shannoo Khan, studied in Class 2 at ND Primary School in Narela, north Delhi.

Union minister Renuka Chowdhury said action will be taken against the teacher. “We need to do more than just a knee-jerk reaction,” she stressed.

Vigilance inquiry has been ordered into the case, said the Delhi Mayor.

While MCD denies the incident, an inquiry has been ordered and the principal and teacher placed under suspension.

The incident allegedly occurred on Wednesday when Shannoo failed to recite the English alphabet in class. Angered by this, the teacher allegedly hit Shannoo's head against the table and made her stand in the sun for over two hours. Unable to stand the heat, Shannoo fainted and was found unconscious by her younger sister, who studies in the same school. The girl then informed their mother, Rihanna, who rushed Shannoo to Maharshi Valmiki Hospital.

Shannoo's father, Ayub Khan, who works as a waiter in a catering company, was away in Haryana for work. "I returned at 9.30pm when my younger daughter told me about the incident.

Doctors at Maharshi Valmiki hospital told me that Shannoo's condition was critical and she might not survive," said Khan.

The 11-year-old was shifted to the paediatric ICU of Lok Nayak Hospital on Thursday afternoon.

"The child was admitted in with severe seizure and her condition further deteriorated before she slipped into a coma. She was shifted to LNJP in critical condition," said Dr K K Deuri, medical superintendent of Maharshi Valmiki hospital.

MCD officials, however, denied that the girl was punished and said she suffered from frequent seizures. Chairman of the MCD education committee Prithiviraj Sahni said: "The girl has been detained for shortage of attendance. She has been irregular with her classes because of fits. On Wednesday too, she had fits, following which her parents were informed."

Municipal commissioner K S Mehra has asked the director of primary education to conduct an inquiry and submit a report in three days. MCD has already suspended the principal of the school (identified only as Dhanpati) for dereliction of duty and the teacher (identified only as Manju) for alleged corporal punishment.

The latest allegations highlight the MCD's poor record on corporal punishment. In the March 19 incident in New Ashok Nagar where 10 students were thrashed for making noise during mid-day meals, the MCD has held the teacher, Rajpal Sharma, guilty of corporal punishment and suspended him.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videoshow/4413951.cms

Tragic incident. I hope her family finds enough strength to cope with their loss.

However, I believe 'India' as a whole isn't at fault for her death, only the pathetic, lunatic of a teacher is.

"MCD officials, however, denied that the girl was punished and said she suffered from frequent seizures. Chairman of the MCD education committee Prithiviraj Sahni said: "The girl has been detained for shortage of attendance. She has been irregular with her classes because of fits. On Wednesday too, she had fits, following which her parents were informed." "

If they're lying to cover their rears, all the staff in the school need shooting.

I wonder if the teacher (identified as Manju), punished her more severely than he or she would have a Hindu student.

It could have been a case of uncontrolled anger brought about through a hibernating racism within the teacher. We all know that this sort of racism exists in India against Muslims, and it may have been exacerbated by the recent Mumbai drama.

Tragic incident. I hope her family finds enough strength to cope with their loss.

However, I believe 'India' as a whole isn't at fault for her death, only the pathetic, lunatic of a teacher is.

Thanks for sparing rest of India, And I also see no need to emphasize over religion of girl.

if you are able to see the clip , you will see , that they put bricks on her shoulder too ...

I think if it is Hindu teachers putting bricks onto her shoulders, or an order by a Hindu teacher to put bricks on her shoulders, it needs serious investigation.

I have difficulty believing this is the standard punishment.

It seems to be a case of aggravated assault with racial or religious motivation.

if you are able to see the clip , you will see , that they put bricks on her shoulder too ...

From our part of the world, severe punishments are quite common in schools. Frankly, I've been through worse in Pakistan and I'm sure a lot of Pakistani's would understand what I'm talking about if they've attended schools in Pakistan. Almost all the people I've known in Pakistan have their share of stories about severe school punishments.

But of course, I wasn't killed during receiving my share of the punishment so obviously the teacher here as some issues that need to be resolved.

this proves that teachers here in pakistan are not as they are in india ( that is why you survied , and now i knew why you have put a half mask after you comments )

Religion doesn't matter i remember my school days in pakistan i'm a muslim the punishments me and the other students got were far worse than this.

Excuse me? Stop making up crap. Show me the clip. She was made to stand in the sun for 2 hrs there were no bricks laden upon the poor child. I cant believe some here are willing to go so low to score points. Had their been a clip the news wouldnt have broken 3 days late.

Religion doesn't matter i remember my school days in pakistan i'm a muslim the punishments me and the other students got were far worse than this.

That's irrelevant.

If you were getting the same punishment as your Hindu counterparts, there's no problem if your punishment was a hundred times severe.

If this girl was punished more severely (and lets face it loading bricks onto her shoulder given the fact she is female and small is probably far worse than anything you had), than her Hindu classmates, then this is a case of religious discrimination.

Excuse me? Stop making up crap. Show me the clip. She was made to stand in the sun for 2 hrs. Had their been a clip the news wouldnt have broken 3 days late.

The doctor says it. He should know having examined her.

The fact he could tell shows how heavy they were.

The doctor says it. He should know having examined her.

The fact he could tell shows how heavy they were.

Look let me tell you one thing, its my country, its my city and I know what has happened far more than those sitting 500kms away. The doctor doesnt say so. She was brought unconcious, because she was standing in the sun for 2 hrs. Now stop making up crap.

Look let me tell you one thing, its my country, its my city and I know what has happened far more than those sitting 500kms away. The doctor doesnt say so. She was brought unconcious, because she was standing in the sun for 2 hrs. Now stop making up crap.

Doesn't change the fact that the victim died. If the doctor's said it, then it must be true. No one's blaming 'India' for this incident. The teacher's the one at fault. Why are you getting so emotional?

Back
Top Bottom