What's new

Gilani to watch WC semi-final with Manmohan

Gilani to watch WC semi-final with Manmohan

When India takes on Pakistan at Mohali on Wednesday at the first semi-final match of cricket World Cup, two VVIPs will have to balance their patriotism with some diplomacy in the stands, reports BBC.

Sources say that Pakistani prime minister Yusuf Gilani has accepted his Indian counterpart Dr Manmohan Singh's invitation to watch the match with him.

Dr Singh on Friday evening sent this note to Gilani and to Pakistani president Asif Zardari.

"I propose to be at Mohali to watch the World Cup semi-final match between India and Pakistan to be held on 30th March. There is huge excitement over the match and we are all looking forward to a great game of cricket that will be a victory for sport."

"It gives me great pleasure to invite you to visit Mohali and join me and the millions of fans from our two countries to watch the match."

Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said on Thursday night after winning against Australia that while he would like his men in blue to treat the Mohali game much like they would any other match, the pressure from the crowds will suffuse the game. Many will say, "Win the semi-final, forget about the final," he remarked.

In addition to the prime ministers, tickets have already been sold out and are now being offered on the black market for prices starting at Rs 2000. Pakistan has reportedly requested an additional 1,500 visas be granted for the game.

Government sources say that's unlikely. A total of 5,000 visas have been issued to Pakistan on the basis of tickets sold already, and visas take a month to process.

This is the latest initiative in the cricket diplomacy between the two countries. In 2005, General Prevez Musharraf had come to Dehi to watch a match with prime minister Manmohan Singh.

In 1987, the then Pakistani prime minister General Zia-ul-Haq had accepted his Indian counterpart Rajiv Gandhi's invitation to Jaipur.

Gilani to watch WC semi-final with Manmohan | Cricket | bdnews24.com

I still dont know whether he is going there or not to join manmohna singh ? Any update? I feel gilani has no interest in cricket..he like kabadi

This is an old Chanikian tactics. This invitation will act like a Insuarance policy that will guarantee that your people do not stage a terrorist attack, as per our intelligence reporting about possible terrorist attacks by pigLETs on WC.

This is an old Chanikian tactics. This invitation will act like a Insuarance policy that will guarantee that your people do not stage a terrorist attack, as per our intelligence reporting about possible terrorist attacks by pigLETs on WC.

Do you think that our security measures are so weak that we want pak pm with us to reassure us from some terror attack?If it is true then we are in deep $hit because pak pms and presidents will not always be there to attend every sports events in our country.Chanakya tactic..lol..and didn't your chanakya teach you not to expose such secrets in enemy internet forums?It's just a friendly request and pak pm have accepted it and will be attending the match..We should thank Dr.MMS For inviting and Geelani for accepting the invitation..Its not some chanakya tactic but a gesture which shows that even while having tons of issues and rivalry,we are civilised and behave to each other with civility and respect.

it has been posted millions of times. and whats new here. Musharraf also invited MM Singh for a match

This invitation is a part and parcel of Bilateral talks happening since for a long time between pakistan and India. Call it a Good will gesture Ultimately i see it as a diplomatic engagement process which is good for all.

i would have preferred kayani or someone else to go instead of these corrupt ...but oh well....good luck to pakistan...i hope they dont get to see the face of gilani ....the players.

i would have preferred kayani or someone else to go instead of these corrupt ...but oh well....good luck to pakistan...i hope they dont get to see the face of gilani ....the players.

Kayani doesn't have free time like Manmohan and Malik... also... smoking is not allowed inside the Stadium :lol:

Heard China wants to develop in cricket.

Maybe we should invite Hu and Wen to the Mohali match as well?

Oh yes I remember 1 year ago, when Pakistan were actually meant to host the World Cup, the 2 semi final matches were meant to be hosted in Columbo and Lahore.

So yeh, whole of Pakistan are allowed to come on that basis :D

Pakistani president is a chabar chulla. Aicy logon ko invite nhi karty Manmohan ji. Oopsssss Im sorry ..........Sonia Gandhi ji :p

BBC News - Cricket World Cup: Pakistan PM accepts cricket invite

Cricket World Cup: Pakistan PM accepts cricket invite

Pakistani PM Yousuf Raza Gilani has accepted an invitation from his Indian counterpart, Manmohan Singh, to attend the Cricket World Cup semi-final between the countries on Wednesday.

The match, in the northern Indian city of Mohali, has created huge interest on both sides of the border.

Relations between India and Pakistan have been badly strained since the Mumbai attacks of 2008.

Then, more than 170 people were killed by Pakistan-based militants.

The nuclear-armed rivals have met a number of times over the past year and Pakistan's foreign minister is scheduled to visit India by July to discuss the resumption of peace talks.

Heavy security is already in place for the match but this was stepped up after police said on Thursday they had arrested a man they believed was planning an attack during the World Cup.

Across India and Pakistan there is a scramble for tickets for next week's match, the BBC's Sanjoy Majumder in Delhi says.

India has issued 5,000 visas to Pakistanis with confirmed tickets and the government is under pressure to ease restrictions and allow more people in from across the border.

Before the Mumbai attacks, the two sides held formal peace talks known as a "composite dialogue" for several years but made little headway, apart from a number of confidence-building measures.

The main disputes between the two sides centre on counter-terrorism and the Himalayan territory of Kashmir - which both countries claim. There are also a number of economic issues and smaller territorial disagreements which divide the sides.

Talks ended in acrimony last July with the two sides in a public spat over Kashmir.

bad post , nice screen name . :lol:

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

I hope they dont start doing teri maan di pain di ... during the match .

I dont think Gilani or Singh should have gone there..extra pressure for players that their f u c king prime minsiters are watching them..and these players are already going through a huge expectations and pressure from spectators and their media ..why F cu cking politics in game

Back
Top Bottom