What's new

GHQ Check-Post Attackers Killed - Hostages Rescued!

:pakistan:Pakistan army gave a message to the world that they are the best. If we compare the situation, that had been tackled brilliantly by our forces, show that we are more professional than any other army of the world.

Let me compare this whole situation with that of Mumbai Incident. The number of attackers were almost equal. They entered the Taj Hotel and Oberoi Hotel and made hostages. Indian security forces sorrounded them and tried to get them. They were not succesful for four days. All the Indian military and Police administration was at their best but atlast managed to get those terrorists in 4 days. A long time.

The situation in Pakistan, no need to repeat. At the end of Saturday, 4 terrorists had taken 40 hostages. Now Pakistan Army had to face the same situation like Mumbai Attacks. But no there is a great difference No terrorist of Mumbai incident has been wearing a suicide jackt but the this threat was there for Pakistan Army. The bold and brave Pakistani soldiers took the challange and atlast emerged victorious despite of the worst possible situation in a hostage rescuing mission.

Our Army is the best army, no trace of any such incident in the entire world. 22 hours and they saved 40 hostages, so professionaly, that they did not give the suicide bomber a chance to detonate himself. If that had happened God knows how many more cassualities we might had. I salute the SSG commando who according to news cushioned himself in front of terrorist's firing and the other SSG commando shot the bomber.

The whole situation reminded me of the situation when Afghan nationals kidnapped a school bus in Islamabad many years ago. I am sure well informed members remember that.

I salute those who gave their lives for the security of the hostages, for my security and the security of every Pakistani.

1be399917a3f2d5128c5173cc1c22e36.gif

Shaheed Ka Akhri Khat & Poem ‘Gawahi Do’ | Behind The Curtains | Latest Urdu Columns Pakistan | Ebooks | IBITIANS.com

KIT Over n Out

I have been following this thread for two days straight. I would just like to thank the members for the constant updates, and for the constant conspiracy theories. Never a dull moment, that's for sure.

I would also like to congratulate the SSG on a successful operation. 39 of 42 hostages rescued and one terrorist leader nabbed is a highly successful hostage-rescue score for any counter-terrorist squad around the world. They will be studying this rescue op around the world, for sure (you can bet SAS/Green Beret instructors will be looking closely). All SOF practice this, but few can execute it this successfully. It really will be another feather in the caps of the unparalleled SSG. Textbook planning and masterful execution, especially considering one of the terrorists had a bomb jacket.

Now, I would like to stress that this attack needs to be very, very carefully studied. It was a symbolic attack on the heart of the military establishment. People say it was not a security failure. Well, I say it wasn't entirely a success either. How can we explain 42 hostages, military personnel no less, at the mercy of a handful of terrorists, right in front of the General Head Quarters? No sir, it is not something that can be taken lightly, that's for sure. Also, if the stories about the intel provided in July of a possible attack on GHQ are true, then it was also most assuredly a failure of preparation on our part. Especially after Manawan Training Center, this should have never, ever happened.

Next, we must also consider, very, very seriously, our actions from here on in. The commencement of full scale Rah-e-Nijat in Waziristan came almost as a knee-jerk reaction. This when recently we were hearing "Pak Army not completely prepared for operation in Waziristan". Attacking while unprepared will be playing right into the Taleban's hands. Yes, according to my sources, the preparations were very near completion, but near completion is not the same as completely prepared. I am no professional defence strategist, but I know that attacking the enemy's stronghold with depleted forces is never a good idea. My point here is not that we should not commence Rah-e-Nijat, my point is simply that I hope that we will fight on our terms, rather than theirs.

Lastly, we must also consider the implications of this attack in international eyes. All those people claiming our nuclear assets were in danger? guess what, we just provided them with a decade's worth of ammunition. We will have to prepare, as a nation, for a wave of attacks on our defence capabilities. We will have to repel these attacks strongly. Our neighbor, for example, will waste little time trying to convince the world of our nuclear safety. They will play the "listen, we're afraid the nukes will fall into the wrong hands, and ruin world peace" card, and I am willing to bet my house on this. Unfortunately, I do not believe our politicians have the spine to mount any serious counter-offensives. Our international policy is based more on the fantasies of our leaders than on the pride of a proud sovereign nation. Point being, prepare for a bloody propaganda war, and if possible, vote sensibly next time around.

Cant say it better than this.

Would just comment about Waziristan operation and preparedness.

Infact Army was right though im not a military person but its a practice rather good practice to launch a suprise operation when terrorists are least expecting it.

Hence army was not giving exact date. But some silly politicians and govt officials were constantly talking about looming operation in Waziristan thereby alerting them in other words indirectly.

When army was battling in Swat and Bajaur it was not at all right time to launch an operation in Waziristan.

The element of surpise should have been there but now after these few attacks it seems we are going into Waziristan operation with much noise which means terrorists are already alerted.

But lets see if we take up right targets and do not harm those who are pro-Pakistan then we are going to get speedy success otherwise if all pro-and anti groups joind hands then a tough and long battle is ahead in Waziristan.

May Allah ease our pain.

Infact Army was right though im not a military person but its a practice rather good practice to launch a suprise operation when terrorists are least expecting it.

Hence army was not giving exact date. But some silly politicians and govt officials were constantly talking about looming operation in Waziristan thereby alerting them in other words indirectly.

When army was battling in Swat and Bajaur it was not at all right time to launch an operation in Waziristan.

The element of surpise should have been there but now after these few attacks it seems we are going into Waziristan operation with much noise which means terrorists are already alerted.

But lets see if we take up right targets and do not harm those who are pro-Pakistan then we are going to get speedy success otherwise if all pro-and anti groups joind hands then a tough and long battle is ahead in Waziristan.

May Allah ease our pain.

About 2 hours ago , Gen Hamid Gul was also saying something about the Pakistan going into a possible stretch. He also mentioned that as of right now Pakistan is AT WAR and that USA wants Pakistan to start the operation in southern Waziristan , but that could well mean Pakistan army going into a stretch.

It is really important for us to understand their game play.

Another Brigadier gave an example of Napoleon that how he went into a stretch and lost against the Germans.

I am sure Gen.Kiyani knows their game plan and he would not start the operation in southern Waziristan right now and first do peace deals.

LONDON: The attack on the Pakistan Army headquarters has highlighted the threat not just from militants in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, but from those based in the country’s Punjab province.

Security officials said some of the militants involved in the attack in the city of Rawalpindi, next door to the capital, Islamabad, appeared to have links to Punjab.

The attack came as the army prepared an offensive in South Waziristan, the stronghold of the Tehrik-e-Taliban (TTP), or Pakistani Taliban, in the tribal areas of Pakistan.

‘All roads lead to South Waziristan,’ Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Saturday, after a week of violence which included an attack on a UN office in Islamabad and a suspected suicide bombing which killed 49 people in Peshawar.

‘Now the government has no other option but to launch an offensive,’ he said.

But even if the military manages to pin down Pakistani Taliban fighters in South Waziristan, the country remains vulnerable to attacks by Punjab-based militants acting either in concert with the TTP or alone.

‘South Punjab has become the hub of jihadism,’ Pakistani analyst Ayesha Siddiqa wrote in a magazine article last month.

‘Yet, somehow, there are still many people in Pakistan who refuse to acknowledge this threat,’ she wrote.

Security officials said a militant arrested after the 22-hour-long attack and hostage-taking at army headquarters was believed be a member of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, an al-Qaeda-linked Punjab-based group.

Some hostage takers’ phone calls were intercepted and they were speaking Punjabi, another security official said.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik said, however, it was too early to say whether Punjab-based groups were involved.

North West Frontier Province Information Minister Iftikhar Hussain called on Saturday for the elimination of militant bases in Punjab. Even if a South Waziristan offensive was successful militants would still get help from Punjab, he told reporters.

But targeting all the militants at once could create an even more dangerous coalition by driving disparate groups closer together to make common cause with the Pakistani Taliban and al-Qaeda in fighting the state, analysts say.

The army also draws many of its recruits from Punjab, making any efforts to root out militants there all the harder.

‘Deploying the military is not an option. In the Punjab this will create a division within the powerful army because of regional loyalty,’ wrote Siddiqa.

Confronting militant organisations directly could make them more dangerous by driving them underground, and creating splinter groups that would be even harder to control, diplomats and analysts say.

Defence analyst Brian Cloughley said the attack on the army’s headquarters showed how little support militants had in the military and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

‘The ISI is hardly going to support militants – even ‘selected’ militants – when it is obvious that main targets are their own people,’ he said. —REUTERS

i remember i had bough my NCC uniform in PRC market Mardan. there are a dozen shop selling stuff like uniforms, boots, belts, hats, etc. this should be confiscated from all over the country and govt should pass a law banning military uniform for civilians. it should be considered as crime if somebody holds or sports forces' uniform.

I am sure Gen.Kiyani knows their game plan and he would not start the operation in southern Waziristan right now and first do peace deals.

Exactly, I agree with you Sir. I have been posting the same thing in a different thread. But indeed decisions should be taken very cautiously. Things are getting to start. Jets bombing places in Waziristan.

May God help us.

KIT Over:pakistan:

May Allah ease our pain.

It was not about element of surprise. It was about two things

1)- Army is seriously lacking intel in SWA since 2004 and CoAS is on record calling SWA as a intel blackhole.
I do hope F-16 and UAVs were doing there work on mapping entire area which will be target in this assault of PA but still a lot of work is pending so this was main reason that kept army away from initializing this op.
2)- Supply lines of TTP. These run from Afghanistan. This is where whole game change viz-a-viz Swat op.In Swat whole region was cut down no vehicle were able to go in to area and come out without Army knowledge during op. so army keep on pressing from three directions and crushed TTP there. What is plan about keep supply lines of TTP close from Afghanistan in SWA?This is a million dollar question.
Keeping these into mind it is not difficult to understand what was target behind this op. To trigger one wrong move by army in haste. PAF did well today to carryout strikes in Makin... I think this is best op. for time being for security forces to relay on air force more than on army until they complete mapping of all major hideouts and command centers of TTP.

Last edited:
Exactly, I agree with you Sir. I have been posting the same thing in a different thread. But indeed decisions should be taken very cautiously. Things are getting to start. Jets bombing places in Waziristan.

May God help us.

KIT Over:pakistan:

peace deals with whom. local tribesmen? thats ok. but with Maulvi Nazir, Gul Bahadur no way. because these guys may not attack on Pakistan but they openly say they would continue 'jihad' in Afghanistan. what would happen when PA defeat bad taliban in swa. will they allow these anti US taliban or stop them too from crossing over the border.

Hats off to Pakistan Army for the success in this operation.

hmm.. it seems at least one suicide vest failed to explode - saving many hostages.
Also the number of attackers is not clear.
Also 2 commandos have been killed in the operation.
Commando operations are never fully disclosed - wonder if we will get details from the Pak SSG.
Nevertheless - freeing 39 hostages and in quick time is a good achievement. SSG is good. Comparisons with NSG are not apt. Mumbai was a very different operation with foreign nationals involved.

Comparisons with NSG are not apt. Mumbai was a very different operation with foreign nationals involved.

Don't think foreign nationals made them react differently as compared to locals. Hostage is hostage at the end of the day, local or foreign.

Pakistan probes links between army HQ siege, Lankan cricket team attack

Pakistani security forces are investigating possible links between the sole surviving militant from the army headquarters siege and an attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team, officials said on Sunday.

Military officials said they had arrested a militant named Aqeel, also known as Doctor Usman, the apparent leader of a nine-member team which tried to storm the military headquarters on Saturday and then took 42 people hostage.

Troops stormed the besieged building early Sunday, freeing 39 of the captives. Three hostages, eight soldiers and eight militants were killed over the course of the nearly 24-hour siege in the garrison town Rawalpindi.

Military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said that Aqeel initially managed to flee and detonated a cache of explosives, injuring five security personnel, but was eventually injured and arrested.

"He was leader of the group," Abbas said.

He told AFP that the militant appeared to have the same name and alias as one of the militants wanted in connection with the March gun and grenade attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in the eastern city of Lahore.

That commando-style strike left six policemen and two civilians dead and injured seven Sri Lankan squad members, and bore similarities to the weekend raid on the military command centre in the city adjoining Islamabad.

"The name appears to be the same," Abbas said, but would not comment further until intelligence officials had provided more information on the suspect.

A security official who requested anonymity said that Aqeel was also wanted in connection with a rocket attack on former president Pervez Musharraf in 2007 and the killing of the military's surgeon general in February 2008.

"He is a known terrorist. His name is mentioned in several cases... including the attack on the Sri Lankan team. He will be investigated and the exact details will be known later," the official told AFP.

Initial speculation was that the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, which is accused of the deadly Mumbai siege that killed 166 people in November, was also behind the Lahore attack but they have denied any links to the assault.

Police in July said they had identified seven men accused of planning the deadly attack on Sri Lankan players and that one of them had been arrested.

The Taliban-linked suspect Zubair, alias Nek Mohammad, told reporters that the attack was facilitated by a militant called Doctor Usman.

Pakistan probes links between army HQ siege, Lankan cricket team attack- Hindustan Times

SSG did great job no doubt, but can anyone have latest news what was the terrorist's strategy?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom