What's new

Germany gives 5th free N-capable submarine to Israel

Will the previous subs be retrofitted with the new prop?
no idea. and the carbon prop is a suspicion, the newer dolphins may not have it. i did have a pic of the newer dolphins exposed prop but i cant seem to find it. if i find it i shall post it and tag you.

i did have a pic of the newer dolphins exposed prop
Very unlikely. Israel is VERY secretive regarding the unique shape of the props, and if there is photo of allegedly a new Dolphin sub with exposed prop, it is probably misleading photo of a U212-class German submarine in Kiel.

For example:
51084871.jpg

One of the new Dolphins on the left, U32 on the right.

Very unlikely. Israel is VERY secretive regarding the unique shape of the props, and if there is photo of allegedly a new Dolphin sub with exposed prop, it is probably misleading photo of a U212-class German submarine in Kiel.

For example:
51084871.jpg

One of the new Dolphins on the left, U32 on the right.
yes i know the biggest give away is the vertical stabiliser along with the x planes with the forplanes on the hull as opposed to the sail where it is on the 212.
i did have a pic of the prop of the newer dolphins i have not yet got round to finding it yet.

What a BS thread title.

The first two (Dolphin and Leviathan) were fully donated by Germany and the third (Tekumah) received a 50% subsidy. In 2006 Israel signed a contract with ThyssenKrupp to purchase two additional submarines from its HDW subsidiary. The two submarines cost, overall, around €1.3 billion, of which up to one-third was subsidized by Germany. In 2011, Israel ordered a sixth Dolphin-class submarine, for which it was reported to pay the unsubsidized cost of US$1 billion. However, in July 2011, during a meeting between German Defense Minister Thomas de Maizière and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense minister Ehud Barak, an agreement was reached to subsidize €135 million of the US$500–700 million cost of the sixth submarine. I.e. a subsidy of 19-27%.

So clearly NOT a case of FREE submarines!

And as for N-capable, last I checked, ANY submarines equipped with 533mm torpedotubes can - in principle - launch e.g. Tomahawk, which could carry a nuclear warhead. Likewise, russian cruise missiles such as can be fired from 533mm tubes of Kilo class could easily carry a nuclear warhead. In essence, ALL submarines that can fire heavyweight torpedoes from 533mm or larger tubes are in principal nuclear capable.

If these are representative depictions of Popeye Turbo SLCM, I seriously wonder if it would fit even a 650mm tube.

popeyeturbo1.jpg

4262842lfkgf4.jpg

Just look at where and how those fins would fold and the body diameter.

WOW. Great deal !
Israel is not alone in its war against terror like many fools think.

WOW. Great deal !
Israel is not alone in its war against terror like many fools think.

They will never be alone. If you matter in the world, Israel probably already has relationship with you.

What a BS thread title.

The first two (Dolphin and Leviathan) were fully donated by Germany and the third (Tekumah) received a 50% subsidy. In 2006 Israel signed a contract with ThyssenKrupp to purchase two additional submarines from its HDW subsidiary. The two submarines cost, overall, around €1.3 billion, of which up to one-third was subsidized by Germany. In 2011, Israel ordered a sixth Dolphin-class submarine, for which it was reported to pay the unsubsidized cost of US$1 billion. However, in July 2011, during a meeting between German Defense Minister Thomas de Maizière and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense minister Ehud Barak, an agreement was reached to subsidize €135 million of the US$500–700 million cost of the sixth submarine. I.e. a subsidy of 19-27%.

So clearly NOT a case of FREE submarines!

And as for N-capable, last I checked, ANY submarines equipped with 533mm torpedotubes can - in principle - launch e.g. Tomahawk, which could carry a nuclear warhead. Likewise, russian cruise missiles such as can be fired from 533mm tubes of Kilo class could easily carry a nuclear warhead. In essence, ALL submarines that can fire heavyweight torpedoes from 533mm or larger tubes are in principal nuclear capable.

If these are representative depictions of Popeye Turbo SLCM, I seriously wonder if it would fit even a 650mm tube.

popeyeturbo1.jpg

4262842lfkgf4.jpg

Just look at where and how those fins would fold and the body diameter.

The Israelis claim that it can be fired from the 650mm tubes

Though it makes me wonder why they didn't go for a more unconventional rotationally deployed fin system. Maybe too complex and pricey for the structural rigidity needed.

Back
Top Bottom