What's new

Geopolitics of ASEAN+ region

Simply because I used the terms Rear Admiral Malacca straits and guess what nothing turned up, because the article you put has no mention of such "rear admiral" Also the whole article is questionable, the english used is rubbish, my 6 year old niece can spell better than that. Read this and see if it makes sense

" 6 “Kilo” class diesel-electric submarines acquired quiet, that is the heart of Vietnam’s submarine warfare program. Expected around 2012 in 2010, the newspaper (wtf a newspaper???) will block the Straits of Malacca with the eastern entrance of the local capacity. ( Source: International Herald Tribune )"
Heheh, you know English skill of Chinese is quite bad, so don't blame their English website, and Rear Admiral Yin Zhou is retired already, so he's just special guest now , but of course, his knowledge is far better than you:P
The PLA raises its voice - Asia Times Online
Asia Times Online :: China News, China Business News, Taiwan and Hong Kong News and Business. - Dịch trang này
9 Mar 2010 – Then the retired PLA Navy (PLAN) Rear Admiral Yin Zhou said that the growing number of submarines operated by members of ...
Places and bases: the Chinese Navy's emerging support network in ...
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi.../is.../ai_n56939152/ - Dịch trang này
Rear Admiral Yin Zhou (Retired), chairman of the Chinese Navy Informatization Experts Advisory Committee, opined during an interview on China National ...
Anonymous user said:
Firstly you have no nukes which we all know, secondly dropping on Singapore will pretty much also impact Malaysia and Indonesia severely which is pretty much tantamount to war on both countries. Did that ever occur to you?
We're allowed to enrich uranium(that can create nuke warhead) in our soil, and IAEA don't care about our enrichment process too, even Japan-SK can't have this right. btw: our Scud-D is enough for tiny Singapore, dude , Malaysia and Indonesia will remain neutral again, just like what they did during Viet-Thai , Thai-Camb conflicts :P
Anonymous user said:
You get a life, full of nonsense as usual, don't bother replying. I'll arrange for an ignore request. No point speaking to bozo's who can't even understand simple economics. Downgrades my intellect
Hehe, you can't reply bcz Russia's help for VN's sub-base is Real , we don't need to pay $$$ for Russia bcz she's generous boss:P
ahfatzia said:
@ Anonymous user

Bro don't take this devious guy seriously he's the biggest troll around, however you can have a little fun with him though.
Yep, it's very funny when it happen to Singapre once day, right :P
thaischool_1821162i.jpg

@ Anonymous user

Bro don't take this devious guy seriously he's the biggest troll around, however you can have a little fun with him though.

I don't really, but after playing around with simpletons like him they do get annoying haha. Anyway he's now on my ignore list

You know what they say

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I don't really, but after playing around with simpletons like him they do get annoying haha. Anyway he's now on my ignore list

You know what they say

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Singapore is just US's pawn and she's just live like zombie with No future bcz she can't possess weapon of mass destruction to protect her own @$$ .So, pls don't compare your sorry state with us :P.

US soon wil leave ASEAN , that's why she allow VN to have the right to enrich uranium and going to sell lethal weapon to VN soon, and she is not stupid to get her own bullet for protecting a zombie like you :P

A Mogolian minister is visiting ASEAN for the interest of China in SCS.:D

images

It's policy. China know as well that peoples in region hatred Chinese, then use her to do it.
what do you think about Mr. Gery Locke, he is Chinese in ethnic but he is United States Ambassador to China ?

220px-Gary_Locke_official_portrait.jpg

sorry, history is written in my language, and i read not a word of barbaric, vietnamese words (which is actually too latinized to truly belong to viets at any rate, no?), so i have to assume what you just said is all viemish gibberish - my reasoning is simple: if you viets claimed to have occupied hunan, what monumental defeats and military catastrophes could have driven you barbarians all the way to the insect-infested vietnam? it seems hans and viets really enjoy different level of successes as races, don't we?

The books in your language is brainwashing Chinese people, peoples no-han called as 西戎、北狄 東夷、南蠻、with common meanning barbarians. It's no good.

I have seen the movie "killing fields" many years back, but I did not know the history then. Vietnam with its invasion of Cambodia removed Pol Pot and Khmer Rouge (Red Khmer), who killed 2-3 million people in their "communist" purges. I thank and congratulate Vietnam for doing this great service for humanity.

Having said that, the world has changed quite a bit since the 70's and 80's. China has changed a lot, so has Vietnam, but the power difference is rising astronomically. I am afraid China's military strength is growing much more rapidly than Vietnam's. This is because of many different factors, but being large and having economies of scale is helping China, while Vietnam is getting behind. Russia is no longer what it used to be, so although the US and to some respect India can also work as a balancer for Vietnam, the situation is not good in the long term, as US is not gaining ground against China and India is not truly a balancer for China, without the US.

This situation is also playing out in East Asia for Japan and South Korea, both of which are under security umbrella of the US and the situation will get more precarious every year.

So I think ASEAN+ arrangement will increasingly look attractive for all three states, actually 4, if we include the Philippines. The formation of ASEAN+ does not mean that individual states will have to leave security arrangement with the US. In fact, I think the US might also be interested to have a strong power as an ally which ASEAN+ have the potential to be. So I am hoping that the US will adopt the ASEAN+ model as an integral part of the Asian Pivot foreign policy direction which I have mentioned in this post:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180755-geopolitics-asean-region-2.html#post3001475

ASEAN+ member states has slightly more than a billion people, the land mass is slightly less than China and current GDP also far exceeds China. If the integration is done in a systematic and proper way without mistakes, the growth of this area can be high, which may keep it ahead of China in many respects.

The Chinese should not look at ASEAN+ as a threat. As a close neighbor, both China and ASEAN+ will have the closest of economic relations and will be dependent on each other. The security part of course will be separate and distinct for both. The interesting part for China will be that as ASEAN+ matures, it will become less and less dependent on the US, which will mean that the US bases in this region may not be necessary any more at some point. That will be the point when ASEAN+ will hopefully start charting a more independent course and may even become friendlier toward China, as China afterall is a neighbor, while the US is a distant power with not so much in common.

As for the overseas Chinese, lets look at some numbers:
Han Chinese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Of about 40 million "overseas Chinese" worldwide, nearly 30 million live in Southeast Asia. Singapore has the largest majority overseas Chinese population at 74%. Christmas Island also has a Chinese majority at 70%. Large Chinese populations also live in Malaysia (25%), Thailand (14%), Indonesia, and the Philippines.
Overseas Chinese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a very influential group of people in ASEAN+ group states. Instead of seeing their influence as a problem, I believe it is possible to turn this reality into an opportunity, by utilizing them as a lobbying group for ASEAN+ with the Chinese in China proper (China+Taiwan). After all, if ASEAN+ prospers, they prosper as well. ASEAN+ security and stability, is their security and stability as well.

While as an ASEAN+ state, Singapore has every right to be involved in ASEAN+ affairs, I do not think the same is true for China or any other state that is outside the group of member nations.

The books in your language is brainwashing Chinese people, peoples no-han called as 西戎、北狄 東夷、南蠻、with common meanning barbarians. It's no good.

of course our books and our tongue were meant to be demeaning to barbaric races to our east, south, west and north, but they also gave birth to you and your names. you are ineluctably looked down upon and despised in our history, but it is also your history and you have none other, so chinese history and chinese historical memory will forever define barbarian races like viets. you will learn to live with it

it bites to be a viet, doesn't it?

Bangladesh can Join Some Islamic Union Rather than Wasting Time to get in ASEAN (India and Burma would Never Allow that.)

1. Yes, BD should work to bring together under an umbrella fellow regional Muslims - Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. Muslims of Arakan/Burma, S Thailand, Cambodia and S Philippines can be observer or guest members for a start.

2. BD, which had pioneered SAARC, should work for a SAARC Minus India, and Plus China, Iran and Burma.

1. Yes, BD should work to bring together under an umbrella fellow regional Muslims - Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. Muslims of Arakan/Burma, S Thailand, Cambodia and S Philippines can be observer or guest members for a start.

2. BD, which had pioneered SAARC, should work for a SAARC Minus India, and Plus China, Iran and Burma.

Though it would be good for ASEAN to get more players it would go against the mandate of what ASEAN was setup for, so I agree that BD should join an umbrella association which would be more in line with her own interest.

Bangladesh has no geographic connection to any of the states you have mentioned except for Myanmar (Burma is the old name). So joining any non existent group is not going to happen. Also it is against Bangladesh govt.'s official Look East policy to integrate our economy with ASEAN states via land, air and sea link with these states. If however you would like to discuss SAARC or any similar union, please create a thread as it is not the topic of discussion here.

Though it would be good for ASEAN to get more players it would go against the mandate of what ASEAN was setup for, so I agree that BD should join an umbrella association which would be more in line with her own interest.

About expansion of ASEAN membership, I think there is ongoing discussion about Timor-Leste and PNG:
Is ASEAN expansion a possibility? - The China Post
Why Timor-Leste should join ASEAN now | East Asia Forum

Japan is interested to join a security framework with ASEAN:
Japan eyes ASEAN maritime security forum expansion | The Japan Times Online

Both Japan and Korea are involved with ASEAN initiative:
English Top — ASEAN-Japan Centre
ASEAN-KOREA CENTRE

Enlargement of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Enlargement of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is the process of expanding the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) through the accession of new member states. This process began with ASEAN's five original members, who founded the association through the signing of Bangkok Declaration in 1967. Since then, the ASEAN's membership has grown to ten with the most recent expansion to Cambodia in 1999.
Currently, accession negotiations are under way with two states, Papua New Guinea'[1][2] and East Timor[3]

Contents
1 Criteria
1.1 Criteria for observers
1.2 Criteria for ASEAN Regional Forum
2 Historical enlargements
2.1 Founding members
2.2 Continued expansion
2.2.1 Laos, Burma, and Cambodia
3 Future enlargement
3.1 Papua New Guinea
3.2 East Timor
3.3 Bangladesh
4 References

Criteria

One of the criteria for membership is that a prospective member must agree to subscribe or accede to all the treaties, declarations and agreements in ASEAN, starting with those outlined in the Bangkok Declaration of August 8, 1967 and those elaborated and developed in various subsequent treaties, declarations and agreements of ASEAN. One common concern that must be addressed through negotiations is the ability of a prospective member to participate in ASEAN Free Trade Area and all other economic cooperation arrangements. One important means of orientation for a prospective member is its attendance at ASEAN meetings and participation in cooperation projects.[4]
Bangkok Declaration lays down no conditions for membership other than location in Southeast Asia and the usual principles of inter-state relations. ASEAN has no membership criteria related to the character of government, ideological system and orientation, economic policy, or level of development. If there were such criteria for membership, a regional association would not be possible in Southeast Asia, given its diversity.[5] To be admitted as ASEAN member state, a state must maintain embassies in all current member countries of the bloc.[6]

Criteria for observers

The ASEAN senior officials had agreed in 1983 that observer status "should be granted only to potential members of ASEAN who satisfy the criteria set for ASEAN membership". One of the criteria states, "Only states in the Southeast Asia may join ASEAN."[5]

Criteria for ASEAN Regional Forum

ASEAN Regional Forum, the multilateral dialogue among Asia Pacific countries is aimed for fostering dialogue and consultation, also promoting confidence-building and preventive diplomacy throughout the region.[7] The membership criteria for ARF, as well as other Dialogue Partners, were outlined during the second ARF in 1996, in Jakarta. ARF ministers adopted the criteria that ARF participants must be sovereign states, which, at China's behest, was evidently meant to exclude Taiwan. They must "abide by and respect fully the decisions and statements already made by the ARF". The criteria stress that ASEAN members "automatically" take part in the ARF.[5]

800px-ASEAN_member_states.svg.png

Historical enlargements

Founding members

ASEAN was established on 8 August 1967, when foreign ministers of five countries– Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand met at the Thai Department of Foreign Affairs building in Bangkok and signed the ASEAN Declaration, more commonly known as the Bangkok Declaration. The five foreign ministers: Adam Malik of Indonesia, Narciso Ramos of the Philippines, Abdul Razak of Malaysia, S. Rajaratnam of Singapore, and Thanat Khoman of Thailand are considered as the organisation's Founding Fathers.[8]

Continued expansion

In 1976, the Melanesian state of Papua New Guinea was accorded observer status.[9] The bloc then grew when Brunei Darussalam became the sixth member after it joined on 8 January 1984, barely a week after the country became independent on 1 January.[10]
On 28 July 1995, Vietnam became the seventh member.[11]

Laos, Burma, and Cambodia

The latest three members of ASEAN began their application in joining the bloc in the decade of 1990s.
Laos became an ASEAN Observer at the 25th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting (AMM) in Manila in July 1992. At the 28th AMM in Bandar Seri Begawan, the Lao Foreign Minister announced that he wished to see Laos join ASEAN in 1997. This desire was stated in Laos' letter of application for membership in ASEAN dated 15 March 1996.[4]
Cambodia was accorded ASEAN Observer status at the 28th AMM in Bandar Seri Begawan in July 1995. The Cambodian Foreign Minister applied for ASEAN membership for Cambodia in his application letter dated 23 March 1996. Like Laos, Cambodia also wishes to join ASEAN in 1997.[4]
The Foreign Minister of Myanmar attended the 28th AMM in Bandar Seri Begawan as a Guest of the Host Government. He attended the 27th AMM in Bangkok in 1994 in the same capacity. During the 28th AMM, Myanmar acceded to the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia and applied for Observer status in ASEAN. The Head of Government of Myanmar joined the Heads of Government of Laos and Cambodia in a meeting with the ASEAN Heads of Government during the Fifth ASEAN Summit in Bangkok on 15 December 1995. He expressed the hope that Myanmar would be accorded Observer status in ASEAN at the forthcoming 29th AMM in Indonesia in 1996.[4]
The ASEAN Security Committee (ASC) established a Working Group on the Membership of Cambodia and Laos to look into all issues under the ASC's purview relating to preparations for and by these two prospective members to join ASEAN. The Working Group is chaired by the Deputy Secretary- General of ASEAN, Mr. Mahadi Haji Wasli. On 17 July 1996, the Working Group held consultations with the Director-General of the ASEAN Department of Laos in Jakarta.[4]
At the 29th AMM, Myanmar was accorded Observer status in ASEAN. The Foreign Minister of Myanmar held consultations with ASEAN and participated in the ASEAN Regional Forum for the first time. On 12 August 1996, the Foreign Minister of Myanmar submitted his country's application for membership in ASEAN. He has also expressed his wish for his country to join ASEAN by 1997, along with Cambodia and Laos.[4]
The ASC has extended the mandate of its Working Group on the Membership of Cambodia and Laos to include the membership of Myanmar.[4]
Laos and Burma (Myanmar) in 23 July 1997.[12] Cambodia was to have joined together with Laos and Myanmar, but was deferred due to the country's internal political struggle. The country later joined on 30 April 1999, following the stabilisation of its government.[12][13]
During the 1990s, the bloc experienced an increase in both membership as well as in the drive for further integration. In 1990, Malaysia proposed the creation of an East Asia Economic Caucus[14] composing the then-members of ASEAN as well as the People's Republic of China, Japan, and South Korea, with the intention of counterbalancing the growing influence of the United States in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) as well as in the Asian region as a whole.[15][16] This proposal failed, however, because of heavy opposition from the United States and Japan.[15][17] Despite this failure, member states continued to work for further integration and ASEAN Plus Three was created in 1997.
In 1992, the Common Effective Preferential Tariff (CEPT) scheme was signed as a schedule for phasing tariffs and as a goal to increase the region’s competitive advantage as a production base geared for the world market. This law would act as the framework for the ASEAN Free Trade Area. After the East Asian Financial Crisis of 1997, a revival of the Malaysian proposal was established in Chiang Mai, known as the Chiang Mai Initiative, which calls for better integration between the economies of ASEAN as well as the ASEAN Plus Three countries (China, Japan, and South Korea).[18]

Future enlargement

Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea shares the island of New Guinea, world's second largest, with two Indonesian provinces
Papua New Guinea, or PNG, a Commonwealth Realm, has been an observer of the regional bloc since 1976, earlier than any other non-original members of ASEAN. The fact that Papua New Guinea, a country outside Southeast Asia had been granted the observer status is because Papua New Guinea's admission was carried out before the enactment of 1983 decision of limiting only Southeast Asian countries becoming a part of the regional bloc.
During the 29th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting held in Jakarta, in 1996, Papua New Guinea's Foreign Minister, Kilroy Genia expressed Papua New Guinea's desire to further strengthen its interactions with ASEAN by proposing that Papua New Guinea be accorded a permanent associate membership with ASEAN.[19] Current Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea, Michael Somare pointed out during his visit to one of ASEAN's founding member, the Philippines in 2009 that his country is ready and able to fulfill the requirements of membership in the regional grouping.[20]
Geographical location somewhat hinders PNG's admission to ASEAN. Although located no farther away from Jakarta, headquarter of ASEAN, than northern Myanmar, PNG isn't geographically part of Southeast Asia, nor the continent of Asia. When the country was granted the observer status in 1976, it was acknowledged that PNG shares the same political and economic region with ASEAN's member, and connected geographically, because the country forms half of the huge island of New Guinea, with Indonesia’s provinces of Papua and West Papua comprising the other half. Since then, it has languished in a 35-year-long purgatory awaiting permission to become a full member.

East Timor

José Ramos-Horta hoped East Timor could join ASEAN before 2012
In March 2011 East Timor submitted a membership application to the ASEAN[21], a move which was supported by Indonesia.[22]
The country which gained its independence in 2002 made its debut in Southeast Asian Games, a multi-sport event which commonly associated with ASEAN, from 2003. The country firstly invited to ASEAN Regional Forum in 2005, making it the 25th country to join the forum. The biggest struggle for the country is to maintain embassies in all ASEAN members; from 10 current members of the regional association, one of the world's youngest country only maintains four embassies.[23] Timorese President José Ramos-Horta hoped to gain membership before 2012.[24]
The lack of consensus on the question of East Timor's membership has prevented ASEAN from arriving at decisions on ASEAN observer status for East Timor and its accession to the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation. The treaty makes clear distinctions between the rights of regional and non-regional signatories, but whether East Timor a part of the region is debatable.[5]
Singaporen Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong objected in late 2011 to East Timor's membership, due to his desire to achieve economic integration by 2015, which the relatively less developed East Timor would make difficult.[25] Although ASEAN has no membership criteria regarding political ideology, but some ASEAN countries have difficulties with East Timor's eventual membership, including East Timor's foreign-policy orientation[citation needed], alleged presence of Portuguese functionaries all over its government[citation needed], and Burma's objection to media articles by East Timorese personalities supportive of the National League for Democracy[citation needed]. Some member states are concerned that, having experienced the entry of four relatively underdeveloped members, ASEAN would be admitting an even poorer one.[5]

Bangladesh

Laos supports Bangladesh getting observer status in ASEAN.[26]

Lao to back Bangladesh for getting observer status of ASEAN
Lao to back Bangladesh for getting observer status of ASEAN
Newly appointed Ambassador of Lao PDR to Bangladesh Thongphanh Syac-khaphom presenting his credentials to President Zillur Rahman at Bangabhaban on Monday.

news_image_2011-06-14_9031.jpg

Photo: PID Lao will provide its support to Bangladesh for getting observer status in Association of South East Asian Nation (ASEAN), reports BSS.

The assurance came when the newly appointed Ambassador of Lao PDR to Bangladesh Thongphanh Syac-khaphom presented his credentials to President Zillur Rahman at Bangabhaban.
During the meeting, the President welcomed the new envoy and expressed his satisfaction over the existing friendly relations between the two countries.
The President said Bangladesh attached importance to its relations with Lao as one of the important ASEAN member states. “Bangladesh can be a bridge between ASEAN and South Asia,” the President observed.

President Zillur Rahman said there is ample scope to further strengthening the relations between the two countries particularly trade and agriculture sector.
The new envoy assured the President that he would take high endeavor to increase trade and commerce relations between the two countries.
He lauded the role of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in establishing peace and solidarity in national and international arenas.
Secretaries and high officials concerned to the President Office and Foreign Ministry were present on the occasion.
Earlier on his arrival at Bangabhaban, a contingent of President’s Guard Regiment gave a guard of honor to the new ambassador.

The wiki article above says that "Only states in the Southeast Asia may join ASEAN", so both PNG and Timor-Leste satisfies this criteria. Bangladesh may not satisfy this criteria as it is considered in "South Asia", although it has border with Myanmar. So it will depend on interpretation of "South East Asia" location.

The proposed ASEAN+ expansion however includes states that are definitely not just in South East Asia, these are:

Japan (East Asia, member of ASEAN+3)
South Korea (East Asia, member of ASEAN+3)
North Korea (East Asia)
Sri Lanka (South Asia)
Maldives (South Asia)

Essentially proposed ASEAN+ includes all states that are east of Indian western most border and south of China's northern most border, that has less than a billion population. ANZ was not included, as stated earlier, because it is a transplanted "Western" entity and will remain an integral part of the West for the foreseeable future.

I have seen the movie "killing fields" many years back, but I did not know the history then. If Vietnam with its invasion of Cambodia stopped Pol Pot, I thank and congratulate them for doing this service for humanity.

Having said that, the world has changed quite a bit since the 70's and 80's. China has changed a lot, so has Vietnam, but the power difference is rising astronomically. I am afraid China's military strength is growing much more rapidly than Vietnam's. This is because of many different factors, but being large and having economies of scale is helping China, while Vietnam is getting behind. Russia is no longer what it used to be, so although the US and to some respect India can also work as a balancer for Vietnam, the situation is not good in the long term, as US is not gaining ground against China and India is not truly a balancer for China, without the US.
I am afraid China's military strength is growing much more rapidly than Vietnam's.
And it's wrong idea, we're still control the largest part in SCS(east sea), we also don't care about China's forces bcz they don't know how to fight in real combat without US or Russia's support. We only worry about US'a power bcz US is still too strong .
kalu_miah said:
The Chinese should not look at ASEAN+ as a threat. As a close neighbor, both China and ASEAN+ will have the closest of economic relations and will be dependent on each other. The security part of course will be separate and distinct for both. The interesting part for China will be that as ASEAN+ matures, it will become less and less dependent on the US, which will mean that the US bases in this region may not be necessary any more at some point. That will be the point when ASEAN+ will hopefully start charting a more independent course and may even become friendlier toward China, as China afterall is a neighbor, while the US is a distant power with not so much in common.
Problem is: we don't like China, bcz they did lots of bad things to us and they never say" Sorry, i'm wrong !", so we won't be friend with China until they admit their atrocities in 1979 when PLA kill Vn pregnant women, children and completely destroyed our provinces near the border.

So, as long as VN-Laos-Cam still members of ASEAN, then ASEAN will never make friend with bad guy China.

The ancient Han Chinese have seen your ancestors running naked around the jungle, so that's the way they called you. :coffee:

And it's wrong idea, we're still control the largest part in SCS(east sea), we also don't care about China's forces bcz they don't know how to fight in real combat without US or Russia's support. We only worry about US'a power bcz US is still too strong .

Problem is: we don't like China, bcz they did lots of bad things to us and they never say" Sorry, i'm wrong !", so we won't be friend with China until they admit their atrocities in 1979 when PLA kill Vn pregnant women, children and completely destroyed our provinces near the border.

So, as long as VN-Laos-Cam still members of ASEAN, then ASEAN will never make friend with bad guy China.

Niceguy bro, I appreciate your frank opinions. China definitely has some bitter history with many of its neighbor nations. But consider the EU today, many members were bitter enemies before. The future is hard to imagine, necessity sometimes change feelings. China will never be a ASEAN or ASEAN+ member, but I think it can be an ally, just like US/EU or India is an ally of ASEAN today.

I understand your current feelings, considering the history. But we should not burn our bridges, it is better to keep options open.

As for Bangladesh, we are an impoverished nation, but we have huge hardworking population, about 160 million. We are making slow but steady progress. Inclusion in ASEAN will give a huge boost to us. From both sides of the Mekong sub-region, we can pretty much protect this region among the two of us, as the two biggest nations in this part of ASEAN. But at this point, I think we will be happy to start the process by being an observer nation in ASEAN.

Niceguy bro, I appreciate your frank opinions. China definitely has some bitter history with many of its neighbor nations. But consider the EU today, many members were bitter enemies before. The future is hard to imagine, necessity sometimes change feelings. China will never be a ASEAN or ASEAN+ member, but I think it can be an ally, just like US/EU or India is an ally of ASEAN today.

I understand your current feelings, considering the history. But we should not burn our bridges, it is better to keep options open.

Bro, thanks for your advice, but I'm sure that as long as VN-Laos-Camb still in ASEAN, then we never ally with China. Evn during the hardest time like VN war and we needed lots of support from China, but we still never wanna ally with her .

And we will be her friend untill China apologies for the atrocities in 1979.
kalu_miah said:
As for Bangladesh, we are an impoverished nation, but we have huge hardworking population, about 160 million. We are making slow but steady progress. Inclusion in ASEAN will give a huge boost to us. From both sides of the Mekong sub-region, we can pretty much protect this region among the two of us, as the two biggest nations in this part of ASEAN. But at this point, I think we will be happy to start the process by being an observer nation in ASEAN.
You're wellcome to be a member of ASEAN, bro, I just want you to understand that we will try to build ASEAN as Non Aligned region, ASEAN people must try harder to stay on their own feet.
TrMhMt said:
Why there is a problem between Cambodia and Thailand?
They have border dispute, bro.

Back
Top Bottom