What's new

Geopolitics of ASEAN+ region

kalu_miah

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
In this thread we would like to discuss the geopolitics of South East and East Asia.

proposed ASEAN+ regional group: ASEAN-10+Japan+South-Korea+North-Korea+Sri-Lanka+Bangladesh+PNG+Timor-Leste+Maldives
1942_Map_of_Japanese_Empire.jpg

This is an old map of Japanese empire. ASEAN+ obviously will exclude what is now in PRC+Taiwan, but will include the new additional countries such as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives and East Timor.

ASEAN-10:
Indonesia
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
Philippines
Vietnam
Myanmar
Brunei
Cambodia
Laos
550px-Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Neighbor powers:
China (PRC+Taiwan)
India
Russia
ANZ

Global power:
USA

To start off, here is an excellent study on background and current status of ASEAN geopolitics:
http://www.clingendael.nl/publications/2011/20110400_cas_paper_egberinkwithvanderputten.pdf

In this thread we would like to discuss the geopolitics of South East and East Asia.

proposed ASEAN+ regional group: ASEAN-10+Japan+South-Korea+North-Korea+Sri-Lanka+Bangladesh+PNG+Timor-Leste+Maldives
1942_Map_of_Japanese_Empire.jpg

This is an old map of Japanese empire. ASEAN+ obviously will exclude what is now in PRC+Taiwan, but will include the new additional countries such as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives and East Timor.

ASEAN-10:
Indonesia
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
Philippines
Vietnam
Myanmar
Brunei
Cambodia
Laos
550px-Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Neighbor powers:
China (PRC+Taiwan)
India
Russia
ANZ

Global power:
USA

To start off, here is an excellent study on background and current status of ASEAN geopolitics:
http://www.clingendael.nl/publications/2011/20110400_cas_paper_egberinkwithvanderputten.pdf

Yes a United ASEAN would be nice if only if ASEAN countries cared about each other not interfering but a genuine care for its members but sadly ASEAN is cut into two pro and anti china

china is the only SE Asian and NE asian country in the region; ethnic chinese are the one thread that connects most of these economies. you perversely exclude china from this list to resuscitate the nipponi dream of greater asian co-prosperity ring, and i wonder what good stuff you (and the philippine troll downstairs) are smoking.

china is the only SE Asian and NE asian country in the region; ethnic chinese are the one thread that connects most of these economies. you perversely exclude china from this list to resuscitate the nipponi dream of greater asian co-prosperity ring, and i wonder what good stuff you (and the philippine troll downstairs) are smoking.

Wow very nice comeback NOT! troll? how can a nation a weak nation defending itself from a arrogant stupid brute who claims everything being a troll!

How would this ASEAN+ materialize? What are the challenges? How would an economic union transform into a sovereign entity?

I stopped reading after that.

I really did...

Bangladesh can Join Some Islamic Union Rather than Wasting Time to get in ASEAN (India and Burma would Never Allow that.)

I stopped reading after that.

I really did...

china is a southeast asian country, with possessions much more to the south than the southernmost point of a SE asian country like burma. china is also a northeast asian country, with its territory extended far to the north and farther than koreas and even japan. it might be inconceivable to petty minds populating all the small countries, but china is big and goes from tropical zone all the way to the subarctic zone and strategically considers itself both SE asian and NE asian.

china is a southeast asian country, with possessions much more to the south than the southernmost point of a SE asian country like burma.

I don't think that's true yet, unless you're already considering 南沙群岛?

Of course China is indivisible, but I would consider Yunnan, Guangxi, Guangdong, Fujian, Hainan and Taiwan as SE Asian.

Once again the Chinese shows the world their so called wisdom. Their heads in their @$$e$!

Yes a United ASEAN would be nice if only if ASEAN countries cared about each other not interfering but a genuine care for its members but sadly ASEAN is cut into two pro and anti china

The trick for ASEAN will be to chart a course mid-point between USA and China, but if you go through the above paper in detail, you will find that USA has been side lining ASEAN group from the start and till today, probably because it is an Asian only grouping without inclusion of US, ANZ etc., who are represented in APEC, ARF etc. On the other hand, precisely for the same reasons, China has been providing more recognition for ASEAN group, perhaps to reduce non-Asian influence in this region.

My personal view is that with China's continuous rise, if US is eventually replaced by China as the world's No. 1 power, only when this new reality looks like a certain outcome, lets say in 10-20 years time frame, will Japan and South Korea defect the US non-NATO alliance team and perhaps join ASEAN to create a more powerful ASEAN+, which will still be somewhat dependent on US/West, but also not unfriendly towards China.

The trick for this part of the world will be to play a delicate balancing game with great powers (USA, China and Russia), while creating a powerful group of their own, which will include ASEAN, Japan and South Korea and which will also be open to include other smaller nations in the neighborhood, who are willing to join this group to make it bigger and more powerful.

The biggest challenge of linking more closely in ASEAN, which is China.
China wants ASEAN to keep at a level certain loose, to for its interests.
China does not want to see a united ASEAN region. It uses economic and political power to divide ASEAN in an unobtrusive way.
To prevent the hands of China, the ASEAN leaders, especially when Vietnam held chair, in Hanoi 2010, ASEAN has invited Russia and the US to join East Asia Summit, the summit with ASEAN in a leadership position .
It was a move to curb China's dirty hands who want to divide ASEAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations

China does not want to see a united ASEAN region. It uses economic and political power to divide ASEAN in an unobtrusive way.
To prevent the hands of China, the ASEAN leaders, especially when Vietnam held chair, in Hanoi 2010, ASEAN has invited Russia and the US to join East Asia Summit, the summit with ASEAN in a leadership position .

Association of Southeast Asian Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agree, I hope India joins ASEAN one day. We already have a great relationship with most of ASEAN members.

Lets discuss the issue of ASEAN expansion. Currently there are 10 members, which countries do you think will be added next? And what would be ASEAN's final list of countries?

Association of Southeast Asian Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China will eventually understand that a united ASEAN or ASEAN+ is in its best interest, because it will reduce outside interference from US, India or Russia in this region and it will be a big economic partner of China.

china is a southeast asian country, with possessions much more to the south than the southernmost point of a SE asian country like burma. china is also a northeast asian country, with its territory extended far to the north and farther than koreas and even japan. it might be inconceivable to petty minds populating all the small countries, but china is big and goes from tropical zone all the way to the subarctic zone and strategically considers itself both SE asian and NE asian.

China definitely is part of SE Asia, and it is a key economic partner of ASEAN or a future ASEAN+.

Back
Top Bottom