What's new

Geopolitics of ASEAN+ region

ha,no matter south or north, both are Han chinese. has nothing to do with Monkeys in viets. u should study more chinese history before you post here. maybe u should study chinese history to know more about yourself-viets, remember, u were part of china for 1000 years. I believe during such a long time, ur women got pregnant by plenty of chinese male.

about u? Maids, sometimes inferior to vietnam monkeys in our eyes.

And you supplier of cheap copied dangerous goods and Ho's in the world! See that's why no one believes you lairs peaceful rise my foot

This thread was opened some months ago. Still funny to read some dumb and insulting posts by Chinese users here. ASEAN as a whole should be wary and resist because nowadays many outside powers try to interfere ASEAN internal affairs, for their own egoistic interests.

This thread was opened some months ago. Still funny to read some dumb and insulting posts by Chinese users here. ASEAN as a whole should be wary and resist because nowadays many outside powers try to interfere ASEAN internal affairs, for their own egoistic interests.
If oil tanker can't pass through SCS(east sea) China-Korea-Japan will die, if no oil-food supply from Sing-Malay, Guam will die :lol:

Let our brothet bear Russia set up Naval base in Cam Ranh bay,and its so much fun to see those China-US butt hurt jumping up and down :lol:

So sorry to disappoint Viet and Pinnoy members, but we are not sharing your views with regard to China.

Kuantan: With billions of ringgit in investments coming to life after just four months, the highly anticipated Malaysia-China Kuantan Industrial Park (MCKIP) is now officially open for business.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak launched the park yesterday, made possible by Malaysia-China relations being on an "unprecedented high".

The park in Gebeng here is expected to be fully completed in two years. It has already attracted investment commitments worth RM10.5bil and will create 8,500 jobs.

Naib said it was the first industrial park in Malaysia to be accorded national status - which will see it driven by the private sector but guided by the Government.

Chinese People's Political Consul*tative Conference of the People's Republic of China chairman Jia Qinglin attributed the park - a sister project of the China-Malaysia Qinzhou Industrial Park (QIP) - to the personal commitment of the two prime ministers and efforts of local governments and businesses of both countries.

"I am sure the two parks' development in future will be complementary and mutually reinforcing, and open a new chapter of friendship and co-operation between our two countries," said Jia at the launch.

Yesterday's event saw a slew of key documents signed and sealed to kick-start the investments, including the setting up of the MCKIP joint venture company between the Malaysian and Chinese consortium, as well as the project's financing.

There were also memorandums of understanding for a steel plant, an aluminium plant, a palm oil refinery as well as the expansion of the Kuantan Port.

Taking a leaf from ancient admiral Zheng He who arrived in Pahang 600 years ago, the industrial park will also leapfrog the Kuantan Port as the ideal gateway for regional trade on the side of east Malaysia.

Kuantan's location beside the South China Sea means it offers the quickest and most direct route to the major ports of the fast-developing Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Region.

The expansion project worth RM3bil - to be spearheaded by IJM Corporation Bhd and Guangxi Beibu International Port Group - will include a new deep-water terminal.

"It will ensure China and Malaysia remain closely connected at a time when the balance of global trade is tilting in Asia's direction," said Najib.

"With the Regional Comprehen*sive Economic Partnership set to bring half of the world's population within a single market, the importance of this connection will only increase," he added.

Najib also announced that both nations were finalising a programme that would see deeper cooperation and commitment to each other for the next five years.

The Five-Year Development Programme for Economic and Trade Cooperation is expected to be ready for consideration in the first quarter of this year and will map opportunities for cooperation between now and 2017, charting a clear course for future growth, he said.

"Over the past decade, the world has come to terms with a model where China's need for resources has created new patterns of trade and influence.

"Now the world is beginning to recognise that Chinese innovation and domestic demand will prove just as potent a force in the global economy," said Najib.

"So on economic cooperation and diplomacy, I am proud to say that Malaysia is ahead of the curve."

Malaysia has been China's top trading partner within Asean for five years in a row.
--Courtesy of The Star Online

So sorry to disappoint Viet and Pinnoy members, but we are not sharing your views with regard to China.

Kuantan: With billions of ringgit in investments coming to life after just four months, the highly anticipated Malaysia-China Kuantan Industrial Park (MCKIP) is now officially open for business.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak launched the park yesterday, made possible by Malaysia-China relations being on an "unprecedented high".

The park in Gebeng here is expected to be fully completed in two years. It has already attracted investment commitments worth RM10.5bil and will create 8,500 jobs.

Naib said it was the first industrial park in Malaysia to be accorded national status - which will see it driven by the private sector but guided by the Government.

Chinese People's Political Consul*tative Conference of the People's Republic of China chairman Jia Qinglin attributed the park - a sister project of the China-Malaysia Qinzhou Industrial Park (QIP) - to the personal commitment of the two prime ministers and efforts of local governments and businesses of both countries.

"I am sure the two parks' development in future will be complementary and mutually reinforcing, and open a new chapter of friendship and co-operation between our two countries," said Jia at the launch.

Yesterday's event saw a slew of key documents signed and sealed to kick-start the investments, including the setting up of the MCKIP joint venture company between the Malaysian and Chinese consortium, as well as the project's financing.

There were also memorandums of understanding for a steel plant, an aluminium plant, a palm oil refinery as well as the expansion of the Kuantan Port.

Taking a leaf from ancient admiral Zheng He who arrived in Pahang 600 years ago, the industrial park will also leapfrog the Kuantan Port as the ideal gateway for regional trade on the side of east Malaysia.

Kuantan's location beside the South China Sea means it offers the quickest and most direct route to the major ports of the fast-developing Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Region.

The expansion project worth RM3bil - to be spearheaded by IJM Corporation Bhd and Guangxi Beibu International Port Group - will include a new deep-water terminal.

"It will ensure China and Malaysia remain closely connected at a time when the balance of global trade is tilting in Asia's direction," said Najib.

"With the Regional Comprehen*sive Economic Partnership set to bring half of the world's population within a single market, the importance of this connection will only increase," he added.

Najib also announced that both nations were finalising a programme that would see deeper cooperation and commitment to each other for the next five years.

The Five-Year Development Programme for Economic and Trade Cooperation is expected to be ready for consideration in the first quarter of this year and will map opportunities for cooperation between now and 2017, charting a clear course for future growth, he said.

"Over the past decade, the world has come to terms with a model where China's need for resources has created new patterns of trade and influence.

"Now the world is beginning to recognise that Chinese innovation and domestic demand will prove just as potent a force in the global economy," said Najib.

"So on economic cooperation and diplomacy, I am proud to say that Malaysia is ahead of the curve."

Malaysia has been China's top trading partner within Asean for five years in a row.

Its ok your not in the firing line yet so naturally you won't see it yet but at less you guys are modernizing

lcloo said:
. So sorry to disappoint Viet and Pinnoy members, but we are not sharing your views with regard to China
its ok,bro.But when Russia naval base in Cam Ranh-VietNam complete,then u will change ur mind and turn to support us.

U know,Russia bomber is very terrible,right,so pls don't make Russia forces in VN feel unhappy....:coffee:

Your words reminds me of an old Chinese saying...狐(猴)假虎(熊)威, sad poor monkeys...
its ok,bro.But when Russia naval base in Cam Ranh-VietNam complete,then u will change ur mind and turn to support us.

U know,Russia bomber is very terrible,right,so pls don't make Russia forces in VN feel unhappy....:coffee:

Your words reminds me of an old Chinese saying...狐(猴)假虎(熊)威, sad poor monkeys...
Say whatever u want,but it can't help u to change the fact:with Russia naval base in Cam Ranh,then pls don't make them unhappy or they will sink all of ur oil tanker passing by SCS(eadt sea):coffee:

The countries in Asia are growing in GDP and human development, whereas the West/US is staying at same level more or less. Its only a matter of time (2-3 decades) that Asian countries will catch up with the West. And when that happens, Asian countries will be able to team up and protect themselves, instead of depending on the West for security.

Eventually US bases will be out from Japan and Korea. Their last foot hold in nearby region will remain in Australia/Oceania.

The countries in Asia are growing in GDP and human development, whereas the West/US is staying at same level more or less. Its only a matter of time (2-3 decades) that Asian countries will catch up with the West. And when that happens, Asian countries will be able to team up and protect themselves, instead of depending on the West for security.

Eventually US bases will be out from Japan and Korea. Their last foot hold in nearby region will remain in Australia/Oceania.

That's true just hope china does not F#%k this over or everyone will lose

That's true just hope china does not F#%k this over or everyone will lose

Yes, lets keep our fingers crossed that Chinese will figure out eventually that a strong, united and integrated (ASEAN+ and Eurasia+) rather than a divided Asian region is in their own long term interest. Because that will increase internal balance of power within Asian landmass and help reduce and keep out influence of external powers.

Asia for Asians. Asia is a continental landmass full of people, whereas Pacific is an ocean full of water. There is no Asia Pacific or Pacific Rim, there is only Asia.

With all the Chest pumping "Regionalism" that ASEAN should be wary of China. All member states are just to different & hold different value to truly unite under a single Banner.

So sorry to disappoint Viet and Pinnoy members, but we are not sharing your views with regard to China...
You failed to understand something important here:

Nobody is against Chinese investments and business in ASEAN or Asia in general. We are just against China´s political and military influence and intimidation.

I disagree. As long as many disputes and other conflicts continue to exist among Asian states (sea disputes, nuclear threat), a US presence is necessary.

With all the Chest pumping "Regionalism" that ASEAN should be wary of China. All member states are just to different & hold different value to truly unite under a single Banner.

I understand your reservations. But we are not talking about current situation or even a situation 10 years from now. We are talking about long term goals, perhaps 2-3 decades down the line.

Also consider, how different the EU states are from Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania and Finland to Ireland or from Cyprus to Portugal. But they have voluntarily chosen to be part of EU, with referendum votes. Premature introduction of common currency Euro, before more consolidation took place, caused the current crisis, but they are trying to find a way out and I am sure will succeed with ECB eventually guaranteeing all bonds originating in EU countries.

EU motto: United in diversity
Motto of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ASEAN is already an existing regional entity and there is ongoing integration process as we speak, which I am sure you are well aware of, as Indonesia is a big part of ASEAN. What I tried to address here is a possible future vision for an expanded ASEAN that will include a few more states.

I explained in this thread why small states are always at a disadvantage when competing with large states:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/164048-kalu_miahs-new-world-order-road-map-future.html

Because of the reasons explained above, big states always call the shots and small states have to follow. That is why USA still call the shots among Euro origin countries and that is why China will call the shots in Asia and in the world as well, later. India is big but its slow and has a lot of inertia, so its growth will take time. But even India at this stage is trying to be a regional hegemon, at least in South Asia and would like to extend its influence in nearby or other faraway regions.

I see EU as a natural effort by small states to team up, integrate and move towards creation of a larger state, even if it remains a rather loose confederation. I believe this is the wave of the future as explained here by well known academics on regional studies:
http://www.smp.fsv.cuni.cz/Hettne.pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...74HwCg&usg=AFQjCNGLagsUNEAJQuO0QrRa0owL0tGk4g (this link will download a word file with the article in it, please do it at own risk, I did not encountered any virus problem after downloading and opening this file)

Essentially I see a multipolar world emerging in the future with the world coalescing into about 7 final regional entities:

1. North America + EU (NATO bloc)
2. Latin American Union (UNASUR+Mexico)
3. African Union + GCC+ ( http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180771-geopolitics-gcc-region.html , http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180774-geopolitics-african-union.html )
4. Eurasia+ (Eurasian Union or former Soviet Union + Turkey + Iran + Pakistan + Afghanistan + Mongolia) ( http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180767-geopolitics-eurasia-region.html )
5. ASEAN+
6. China
7. India

Why people would choose these routes, because just like EU and NATO, people will try to maximize their power and influence by joining a bigger team when such option is made available to them.

You failed to understand something important here:

Nobody is against Chinese investments and business in ASEAN or Asia in general. We are just against China´s political and military influence and intimidation.

I disagree. As long as many disputes and other conflicts continue to exist among Asian states (sea disputes, nuclear threat), a US presence is necessary.

Excellent point, Chinese are and will be as much of a stake holder as Japan and S Korea in ASEAN+ and as Russia and Turkey in Eurasia+, economically initially and eventually in security as well, with an expanded SCO covering both ASEAN+ and Eurasia+ regions.

The point where I differ with the Chinese is that, currently they may feel that an integrated ASEAN+ and Eurasia+ are a threat towards their eventual dominance of these fragmented regions, but I feel that without these integration taking place, if these two regions remain fragmented it will be difficult to remove the bases/presence of off shore balancers such as the US who have overseas bases in many countries. So it is in the long term interest of the Chinese to help integrate these two as well as other regions.

Of course the US bases will remain in East Asia, as long as the regions do not integrate and cannot bring some kind of balance to Chinese military dominance.

The old paradigm was: Divide and Rule
The new paradigm should be: Unite and Empower, so they can break free from dependence on faraway offshore balancers

Back
Top Bottom