What's new

Geography’s Curse: India’s Vulnerable ‘Chicken’s Neck’

The ultimate BD military build-up should get to the point that BD will be able to use the "chicken-neck" to cut
India in two and then be in a position to hold in the West for a few weeks while the North-Eastern states are invaded by the BD army.

You really are crazy? do you want bangladesh to be a test specimen for indian thermonuclear and biological weaponry?

You really are crazy? do you want bangladesh to be a test specimen for indian thermonuclear and biological weaponry?

I said the "ultimate" BD aim to be to get to this level of capability as regards to deterrence against India. Not talking about now but 2030 onwards.

The "chicken's neck" is a gift to BD military strategists and a Achilles-heel for Indians.

Silly me. I should have added this map that came with the article -

Screenshot-2013-11-07-22.27.03-400x362.png
I don't know why but I see a bungladesi chicken neck here. Please look at it again where u see top of that blue thing shoved up from rear. Like a sharp two head needle.

With or without Bangladesh ,we had road link up to Vietnam and beyond .And Rail link will soon be coming up .If Bangladesh join it is good for them ,if not we do'nt depend on Bangladesh to connect south east Asia,

Connection you have is worthless for commerce and trade. You just need to do some research.

The ultimate BD military build-up should get to the point that BD will be able to use the "chicken-neck" to cut
India in two and then be in a position to hold in the West for a few weeks while the North-Eastern states are invaded by the BD army.

How will that builtup be achieved, did you forget the liberation war of 1971 when Pakistan was struggling to send supply to East Pakistan.

Indian nukes are not thermonuclear. Chinese have thermonuclear weapons. Indian nukes are of low quality/yield.

How will that builtup be achieved, did you forget the liberation war of 1971 when Pakistan was struggling to send supply to East Pakistan.

BD has plans to build a force of modern submarines.

Connection you have is worthless for commerce and trade. You just need to do some research.
it is you who need to do research and see the map again , there is a road link between India and Myanmar and and rail line is coming up.to boost it further .Border town of moreh of India and tamu of Myanmar is connected by road and is doing great business .

Seriously? Is Pakistan supposed to be some sort of benchmark for you guys? :lol:

It's been 40+ years, and key issues hampering business between Bangladesh and NE India still haven't been addressed.
The trade opportunities in Northeast India | VIEWS & REVIEWS | Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

So I ask again, free trade in what? How?

I think i agree with you...Once for all...Neither BD is going to invade checken neck nor India is going to attack it..The reason is pretty simple...There is not any substantial benefit that will happen in case BD occupy even the entire NE also.....
And again every one is forgetting that Indian Army and force presence in NE is sufficient enough to tackle BD and its hot pursuit if any independently without any backing of Mainland Indian forces...And on top of that Nepal and Bhutan are nations who always support India and its sovernity in case needed and will provide enough launching ground to counter the BD forces.

The world is moving towards localisation....Here ecomics demand that NE should do more bussiness with BD not because Indian mainland does not have access to it rather it is the fact on the ground...This is the same fact that demands that Punjab and Gujurat will be getting more benefit if the trade relation is good with Punjab from Pakistan....

Hence this talk of a nation occupying another nation is an outdated idea...Ultimately it matters is that how much of your citizen are economically stable rather than how big is your nation is...

There is not any substantial benefit that will happen in case BD occupy even the entire NE also.....

WRONG! Independent NE is better for people of north east and for Bangladesh. NE people finally can come out of indian occupation imposed by brits and prosper on their own term with help of Bangladesh, China and even SE Asia. Under indian occupation people of NE just suffer with bully and repression.

For Bangladesh it is better, we would have more understanding neighbors, trade partners. Rivers and environment will saved from indian eco, environmental and economic terrorism.

With or without Bangladesh ,we had road link up to Vietnam and beyond .And Rail link will soon be coming up .If Bangladesh join it is good for them ,if not we do'nt depend on Bangladesh to connect south east Asia,

A wet dream at its worst. When Indian mainland itself begs BD all the time for transit to its NE, because the Chicken Neck route is almost unpassable, here you are talking of a link with Vietnam through that hilly neck and without getting through BD. Keep on dreaming.

In realistic terms Bangladesh can do nothing with this, If push comes to shove, conventional power of india trumps all bangladeshi geographical advantages, as such if Bangladessh does come under IA hammer (which I hope never would happen), wont take for more than 24hrs for boundaries to be reshaped....
BD military is roughly half the size of IA....If it does not involve China I do not see any reason why India would need to urgently mobilize its military to the NE through Bangladesh ie need to go to war with Bangladesh...(The only reason you would go to war with Bangladesh is if you are already at war with China and they invade your NE).....do you think India can afford to focus even one fourth of its military on Bangladesh with China in the north....I don't think so....specially not when you have a force like China on the North and Pakistan on the west ...IA is big....but India is also a huge country which shares most of its borders with not-particularly friendly countries.

BD military is roughly half the size of IA....If it does not involve China I do not see any reason why India would need to urgently mobilize its military to the NE through Bangladesh ie need to go to war with Bangladesh...(The only reason you would go to war with Bangladesh is if you are already at war with China and they invade your NE).....do you think India can afford to focus even one fourth of its military on Bangladesh with China in the north....I don't think so....specially not when you have a force like China on the North and Pakistan on the west ...IA is big....but India is also a huge country which shares most of its borders with not-particularly friendly countries.

Actually Bangladesh army with three hundred and fifty thousand personnel is almost 6 times smaller than India's 2.1 million man army ( 1.2 million active and 0.9 million reserves).

When India invaded East Pakistan in 1971, two hundred and fifty thousand soldiers launched a simultaneous attack into East Pakistan across twenty fronts, while similar numbers fought on the Western front.
Army reserves were deployed to keep a watchful eye on Chinese border.

But that is not real problem here..biggest problem for Bangladesh is that in a war with India, it itself is biggest victim geography.Save a small border with Mayanmar, India surrounds Bangladesh on all sides. Even if not even a single shot is fired, a simple Naval blockade can virtually asphyxiate Bangladesh.

Half the size ?? Take a re look .

The size of Para Military Forces in India in itself is more than the BA.

Back
Top Bottom