What's new

Generation 2.0: Arjun Mk-2

Dam , that's a big gun.
I mean really that's the biggest tank gun i ever heard of.

I think we can do with a 120mm rifled

Sure higher calibre is good but it has a whole list of problems , thank has to have a god way of managing that big barrel and recoil , and the round will obviously be bigger and heavier so you can carry less.

Well, it may look crazy but there are even bigger ones out there.

"Type 99KM
The newest and much-improved variant, with newer modular active protection system, JD-4 active laser defense system, more powerful 2100-hp engine, and more. It is also equipped with a 155 mm gun capable of firing next-generation missiles and kinetic rounds.[6]"
-source Wikipedia

But at present, speaking truly, I don't want DRDO to mess with the gun system. That above post was just a....................... you know, its like when we learn something new, we want to take risks hoping to learn a bit more: kinda' a thing. :mod:

We can try that. But I'm sure that it would have its own problems, especially, the tons of recoil. So, for the time being, we should avoid it.

Here, a member has accused the Arjun MK-2 of being a Japanese Tank copy. Throw some light on the topic.

Last edited:
Well, please don't be surprised but there are even bigger ones out there.

"Type 99KM
The newest and much-improved variant, with newer modular active protection system, JD-4 active laser defense system, more powerful 2100-hp engine, and more. It is also equipped with a 155 mm gun capable of firing next-generation missiles and kinetic rounds.[6]"
-source Wikipedia

But at present, speaking truly, I don't want DRDO to mess with the gun system. That above post was just a....................... you know, its like when we learn something new, we want to take risks hoping to learn a bit more: kinda' a thing.

We can try that. But I'm sure that it would have its own problems, especially, the tons of recoil. So, for the time being, we should avoid it.

that type 99km is really scary .....atleast with all its specs .....

if india goes in war against china then what wud be india's answer to type 99km ????

although i am a little scared but at the same time i think again .......that the PLA wud face the same problems IA is facing with arjun ie weight issue !!

deployment wud be a hell of task !!!!

correct me if i am wrong !

that type 99km is really scary .....atleast with all its specs .....

if india goes in war against china then what wud be india's answer to type 99km ????

although i am a little scared but at the same time i think again .......that the PLA wud face the same problems IA is facing with arjun ie weight issue !!

correct me if i am wrong !

You are right but they still have an upper hand in that they haven't increased its weight significantly. That is more efficiency even though they have same weights(Arjun and type 99KM). I still am afraid that their larger calibre round and main gun would ultimately go against them. I still wonder how the Russian cold-War era hull of the chinese tank could handle the recoil from such a massive round. Even if they manage to handle that blow, the movement of the turret would be very slow. 155mm guns are today the std. calibres for artillery round the globe.

It seems impractical, but the way the chinese have executed it, I just don't know how to criticize it...........:what:

All I know is, it isn't the right way a tank should be executed.

I hope DRDO uses this as their inspiration but they shouldn't definitely make its price an inspiration(It costs too much). Give your opinion about it and please check wikipedia before you make any statement(That would help you know a little more about it).

Last edited by a moderator:
"Type 99KM
-source Wikipedia

I think alot of countries are looking at developing gun caliber in the range of 140mm and over. Apparently tanks cannot wistand a first shot from these monsters without being armoured to an impractical extent.

China certainly is studying feasibility of a heavier gun. It still has thousands of outdated tanks. Thus if a relatively quick config into heavier gun is needed in wartime it may have advantages. It is possible that they will have a stockpile of such heavy guns with the necessary turrents.

An invasion into China by a heavyweight power takes months of preparation, this means there will be time to reconfig old tanks IMO.

Well, it may look crazy but there are even bigger ones out there.

"Type 99KM
The newest and much-improved variant, with newer modular active protection system, JD-4 active laser defense system, more powerful 2100-hp engine, and more. It is also equipped with a 155 mm gun capable of firing next-generation missiles and kinetic rounds."

But at present, speaking truly, I don't want DRDO to mess with the gun system. That above post was just a....................... you know, its like when we learn something new, we want to take risks hoping to learn a bit more: kinda' a thing. :mod:

well , ill be that tank is monster.

but this ain't world war two any more , China certainly has the advantage with that monster , T-72 won't be able to take a hit form that gun.

But if they cause to much trouble , that's why we have aircraft and missiles. NAG , LCH etc.

Unless they have 1000's of said tank , its not too much of concern , but i am surprised , How IA still complains about tank weight , especially when there is such a heavy tank on the field.

Only IA knows how hard it is to deploy Arjun.

China has much better infrastructure , i doubt they would have more trouble than other nations fielding tanks's of this category

Here, a member has accused the Arjun MK-2 of being a Japanese Tank copy. Throw some light on the topic.

Well technically speaking that picture is of the Japanese tank , our media just copied it :lol:.

I think alot of countries are looking at developing gun caliber in the range of 140mm and over. Apparently tanks cannot wistand a first shot from these monsters without being armoured to an impractical extent.

i can imagine , kudos's to china for taking the initiative

And there is a whole list of new tank defence's that are ready to counter these high Calibre rounds

China certainly is studying feasibility of a heavier gun. It still has thousands of outdated tanks. Thus if a relatively quick config into heavier gun is needed in wartime it may have advantages. It is possible that they will have a stockpile of such heavy guns with the necessary turrents.

An invasion into China by a heavyweight power takes months of preparation, this means there will be time to reconfig old tanks IMO.

That will never work , simply you can't just change to heavy gun , on older tanks , it takes time and even if you did.

The tank can never handle the recoil , you have to put a new turret i there to begin with. You never know how it will perform like that.

And lastly ammunition stores , unless you have sufficient ammo stores you don't change guns.

i don't understand ur point .....

are u saying that its really tough to deploy arjun ...

or

u makin fun of my post ?

But if they cause to much trouble , that's why we have aircraft and missiles. NAG , LCH etc.

Exactly. That is why our defence agency is working towards co-ordinating each operation among the three branches of the armed forces, namely, Army, Air Force and Navy, wherever, whichever is deployable.

The connectivity with UAV would surely come handy in countering such threats.

Unless they have 1000's of said tank , its not too much of concern , but i am surprised , How IA still complains about tank weight , especially when there is such a heavy tank on the field.

Even 500 of them would not be an issue, unless and until deployed together. If the Indian Tanks could co-ordinate among themselves and attack simultaneously or within gaps of fraction of seconds, they can be easily taken out.

If I would be the commander of IA, I would attack indirectly by destroying its re-supplies and logistics rather than countering the tank directly. It is because that tank is one of a kind and it wouldn't easily get a replacement or ammo.

?????

Well technically speaking that picture is of the Japanese tank , our media just copied it :lol:.

Well, whomsoever has designed it, its a good design.

But, now, I really pray that DRDO would give this tank an individuality because I can't take any more allegations of copying foreign products. I don't want to adopt the chinese way. I want my country and everything in it to be distinctive and one of a kind.

The tank can never handle the recoil.

And lastly ammunition stores , unless you have sufficient ammo stores you don't change guns.

That would cost it a lot in a war, both recoil and and amount of ammo. Just fitting a new gun is a step that would go against the tank itself because each tank is designed to provide the best co-ordination among its components and tampering with its main armament isn't a good idea if they aren't sure about its performance.

Dam , that's a big gun.
I mean really that's the biggest tank gun i ever heard of.

I think we can do with a 120mm rifled

Sure higher calibre is good but it has a whole list of problems , thank has to have a god way of managing that big barrel and recoil , and the round will obviously be bigger and heavier so you can carry less

Arjun is too heavy to put on plane.

Unless the tank is in the lower 40tonne range you cant even think about air lifting them.

Tanks above 50 tonnes have to to shipped or moved by rail.

Yes this is true, india is now buying Boeing C-17 Globemaster III which can lift one M1 Abraham. And also buying Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules which can lift only armored personnel carrier.

And the JV of Hal and Ilyushin- Ilyushin/HAL Tactical Transport Aircraft can lift only 18.5 ton which comes in 2016.

But we can transport this tank with the help of navy.

1)INS Jalashwa(transport capacity-approx-8500 ton) or can transport 50 arjun mbt.

Jalashva03.jpg

2)Shardul class landing ship(can transport 07 arjun mbt)

but that wud take a lot of time !!

oh ...please british army challenger 2 weight 62.5 ton, usa army M1 Abrams weight is 67 ton and india arjun tan weight is 58.5 ton, how can you say it's over weight. drdo is also developing light weight tank.

Originally Posted by flanker143
but that wud take a lot of time !!

oh ...please british army challenger 2 weight 62.5 ton, usa army M1 Abrams weight is 67 ton and india arjun tan weight is 58.5 ton

my view was that ---transportation by navy wud take a lot more time as compared to airlifting

drdo is also developing light weight tank.
i am aware of only abhay which is infantry fighting vehicle not lbt , plz correct me if i am wrong.

just for assumption the on;y way a land based invation into china will be possiable from russian or taiwan side of the border

my view was that ---transportation by navy wud take a lot more time as compared to airlifting .

IA cannot transport more than 2 tanks at a time by airlifting. So, tell me what is the use of airlifting the tank by aircraft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom