What's new

Gen Kayani said to be systematically reversing earlier policies

MI has pulled out of politics, confirms PPP

By Umar Cheema

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Army’s intelligence outfit, the MI (Military Intelligence), has quietly pulled out of political wheeling and dealing after directives issued by Chief of Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, a major political party has confirmed.

The election cell of the PPP admitted on Monday that unlike the past it had received no complaint from its candidates against the MI ever since the new orders were issued. There is, however, no final word available about the political role of the ISI, since it is under control of the prime minister and Gen Kayani’s order does not apply to activities of its political cell.

As far as the MI is concerned, it had been allegedly involved in Balochistan in the past. “We feel the Army chief’s directives have made a difference,” a senior member of the PPP election cell told The News. He said the election cell had witnessed a considerable drop in complaints against the MI role and pressure tactics used against its party candidates.

Former minister Zubaida Jalal, who is contesting independently in the general elections after turning down PML’s offer to stand on a reserved seat, also admits this fact but in a different manner.

“I have noticed that the role of intelligence agencies is much less in the electioneering after the Army chief’s directives,” she told The News by telephone from Turbat. Zubaida said there is no interference from the Military Intelligence since Gen Kayani’s orders but the provincial government in collaboration with district administration was helping the PML-sponsored candidate of BNP-Awami contesting against her, a direct admission from a former PML leader that interference was going on. She said she had rejected the PML offer and conveyed her decision to party president Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain.

The Military Intelligence had been actively involved in Balochistan and in parts of Sindh. The PPP election cell had highlighted this in its preliminary report on pre-poll rigging. It was in this context that the PPP made a demand in its report-cum-dossier which says: “Clear public order from the Army chief and President Musharraf is needed ordering ISI, MI and IB officials not to meet with candidates, campaign or approach election officials.”

This was part of the report which Benazir Bhutto was to handover to the visiting US senators the day she was assassinated. Of all political parties, the PPP has the most active and vibrant election-monitoring cell that furnishes data of complaints received from their candidates throughout the country about instances of pre-poll rigging in any form, including use of state resources, intelligence agencies’ pressure, etc.

According to the PPP’s election cell report that was furnished before Gen Kayani issued his directives, the party candidate from Dera Bugti, Sarfraz Bugti, was arrested by Maj Adnan of Military Intelligence a few days before the closing date of nomination papers, leaving the field open for a pro-government party candidate Tariq Missouri who was consequently elected unopposed.

About another PPP candidate from Balochistan the report says: “It has been informed by PPP candidate from NA-267, Shabbir Ahmad Shahwani that threats and warnings have been issued to him by Military Intelligence in Bolan district from telephone No: 0884-413106 that he should withdraw in favour of Yar Muhammad Rind”.

“Similarly, pressure is being brought to bear upon notables by two MI majors namely Maj Zia and Maj Babar to vote in favour of PML candidates in NA-260 Chagai,” the election cell report published at the end of December 2007 says.

According to the PPP’s election cell findings, agencies role has largely been taken over by the police and other law-enforcement outfits. Complaints received by the election cell has revealed that hundreds of party workers had been arrested from Mirpurkhas, Hyderabad, Thatta, Sajawal, Qamber-Shahdad Kot, Sukkur, Khairpur, Naushahro Feroze, Tando Adam Khan and other districts of Sindh.

MI has pulled out of politics, confirms PPP

I have a hard time believing this report. Typically MI has never been involved in the politicking that IB and ISI have been accused of. Most of the reporting in the Pakistani press incorrectly puts all three in the same bin and as such MI has received bad press. Also these names that show up in the press as those of officers from the MI are plain old BS. If there names were so easily available, these guys would get sacked and booted from the intel outfits for being so careless (although I am sure in certain circumstances, certain identities are disclosed).

The job of the MI is to focus on external intelligence focusing on military threats to Pakistan and conducting counter intelligence. ISI is the organ that not only keeps an eye on the inside but also on what's going on elsewhere in the country. The IB is a non-military intelligence outfit and has nothing to do with the Pakistani armed forces.

All in all, every single Pakistani intelligence outfit has got a bad name because either people do not understand the differences between them or know so but chose to ignore them for other motivated reasons.

I have a hard time believing this report. Typically MI has never been involved in the politicking that IB and ISI have been accused of. Most of the reporting in the Pakistani press incorrectly puts all three in the same bin and as such MI has received bad press. Also these names that show up in the press as those of officers from the MI are plain old BS. If there names were so easily available, these guys would get sacked and booted from the intel outfits for being so careless (although I am sure in certain circumstances, certain identities are disclosed).

The job of the MI is to focus on external intelligence focusing on military threats to Pakistan and conducting counter intelligence. ISI is the organ that not only keeps an eye on the inside but also on what's going on elsewhere in the country. The IB is a non-military intelligence outfit and has nothing to do with the Pakistani armed forces.

All in all, every single Pakistani intelligence outfit has got a bad name because either people do not understand the differences between them or know so but chose to ignore them for other motivated reasons.

...but we must admit that their terms of reference have become a bit hazy thus the bad press and image.

Guys,

Musharraf would have done the same thing had he been in Kiyani's shoes. The bottom line is that Musharraf does not need Army officers in civilian organizations any longer and he has retired from the Army so the need for those currently serving in the Army and him (or any other politician) to meet does not exist any longer.

I would also like to say that despite all this brouhaha about Kiyani's professionalism, pretty much all of the Pakistan Army chiefs (except a very few) have been solid professionals when they were just in charge of the Army. Musharraf was every bit as capable and professional as Kiyani and held all of the right posts in the Army prior to his promotion to CoAS.

Also too much is being made of the point about Kiyani asserting himself. He does not need to, Musharraf gave up his right to call the shots after retiring. There is no tussle between Musharraf and Kiyani for the latter to have to assert himself. Both of the orders emanating from the Chief's office are typical...Army officers who were seconded are being pulled back (as there is no military led government any longer) and the need to stay away from politicians is something that is voiced often (I have mentioned this in a previous post that even Musharraf took notice of anyone falling out of line on this count and set an example by firing Lt Gen Tariq Parvez for meeting NS without seeking his approval or permission first).

While I personally like Kiyani and think that he is doing good for both Pakistan and the Army by pulling it back and re-focusing, comments such as "The article quotes a Western military official in Islamabad with experience on both sides of the Pakistan-Afghan border as saying, “He (General Kayani) is by far the best officer I’ve come across.”

In recent weeks a steady parade of top-level U.S officials have visited Kayani to make up their own minds about him and they have come away confident that General Kayani “knows what he is doing,” the article says.

“He is a man who is temperamentally given to reading, reflection and to listening more and talking less,” Pakistani analyst Nasim Zehra, a fellow at Harvard’s Asian Centre, is cited as saying.
" have been used for Musharraf when he was the Chief and prior to that when he was a senior officer by western observers (including those who saw him up close including Brian Cloughley who thought Musharraf was a "first rate officer" and even those at Royal College of Defence Studies.

Bottom line is that most of the senior Pakistani Army leadership has evolved considerably and is markedly different from the Generals of the past like Ayub Khan, Zia, and Yahya in terms of their professional development and have to be through and through professionals. The challenge is the entanglement in the world of politics and then losing focus. Kiyani like Musharraf, Karamat, Kakar etc. has beenl put through his paces in a professional Army that has continued to become more and more professional in its outlook, but hampered by the instability of Pakistani politics.

In conclusion, I would say that Kiyani is just as professional as Musharraf and his predecessors. The problem for poor Musharraf is that he got shoved into politics and as such he would be judged as a politician and not a soldier while fortunately for Kiyani (I hope and pray this stays the case), he can focus on soldiering.

...i guess it is about the circumstances one inherits but the basic question still persists. the army needs to function as a arm of the government and not the government itself. it is a difficult job!

Hardly anyone knew of Musharraf or even paid attention to Pakistan in the 90s until Kargil. Can you provide any sources which used the same words for Mushy as are being used for Kayani now?

"First rate officer" is something I think the western media may describe Mushy as even now. His army skills are not in doubt. Back then no one expected an army chief to grab power. And I think the measures Kayani is taking is more than just symbolic, he would not do this if he had any political ambitions. He knows he is much better off pleasing America through distancing himself from politics.

I already quoted two sources above. I personally know of people who have served with Musharraf or were his instructors and the opinion is the same. The guy was/is extremely hard working and tactically sharp. Making DGMO of the Pakistani Army is not an easy task. Both him and Kiyani have been in this crucial post. Comparing the two is a moot point since it goes back to my original point that the two are not in contention as is being widely reported in the western media.

Every single Army chief brings about certain changes and re-directs the Army. Kiyani is no different. Musharraf would be a fool to think otherwise having served in the same Army for 46 years (6 years too long in my opinion).

Kiyani is doing the right thing by moving the Army totally out of the ball game. The Army must not be seen as being partisan in these elections. But contrary to the claims in some articles that Musharraf would be needing senior officers in the Army to influence the outcome of the elections is stupid and nonsensical. The elections are no longer about Musharraf. Corps commanders cannot and do not interfere at the local levels and those too involving elections.

I think way too much is being made of this Kiyani vs. Musharraf thing. Unfortunately by writing so much about the new CoAS, he is being casted in the mold of another pliant officer willing to do the American bidding. Also this talk of retooling the Army to fight another kind of war is fine...I think the Army should have this capability, but it must not be at the cost of losing the focus on the threat from India. After all we still have to contend with Cold Start. :rolleyes:

...i guess it is about the circumstances one inherits but the basic question still persists. the army needs to function as a arm of the government and not the government itself. it is a difficult job!

Absolutely agreed!:cheers:

Kayani calls upon all segments of society to help army to ensure law, order

ISLAMABAD: Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Friday expressed satisfaction over the pace and manner of Army’s deployment for maintenance of law and order in the country for the forthcoming General Elections, strictly in accordance with the dictates of the constitution.

He was heading a high level meeting in General Headquarters, which undertook a detailed overview of Military’s deployment.

During the course of the meeting, he also reiterated the necessity and importance of holding peaceful elections.

He asked all segments of the society to help Army and Law Enforcement Agencies to maintain law and order on this occasion. He expressed confidence that the nation will unite for a stable and peaceful Pakistan.

Kayani calls upon all segments of society to help army to ensure law, order

General Kayani maybe a true professional.

But those who have tasted blood, are they ready to become normal military men without the clout they have acquired ever since the first martial law?

That is the question!

Kiyani is doing the right thing by moving the Army totally out of the ball game. The Army must not be seen as being partisan in these elections. But contrary to the claims in some articles that Musharraf would be needing senior officers in the Army to influence the outcome of the elections is stupid and nonsensical. The elections are no longer about Musharraf. Corps commanders cannot and do not interfere at the local levels and those too involving elections.

I think way too much is being made of this Kiyani vs. Musharraf thing. Unfortunately by writing so much about the new CoAS, he is being casted in the mold of another pliant officer willing to do the American bidding. Also this talk of retooling the Army to fight another kind of war is fine...I think the Army should have this capability, but it must not be at the cost of losing the focus on the threat from India. After all we still have to contend with Cold Start. :rolleyes:

I agree :tup:

Keep an eye on this guy:

As far as my knowledge , I think General Kayani is the most experienced and astue General that Pakistan will have. Basis is from the following points.

1) He emerged from the lowest ranks of the military to the highest level.
Advantage: Knows every nuance in the military and has the ability to understand its pulse and act.

2) Served as Secretary for Bhutto and later as Directory general for military operations
Advantage : This makes him the a rare general to know the political workings and its impact on the military and vice-versa.With the current election results indicating PPP in power, it is likely that he still has some association/friends in PPP.He can provide a fair and acceptable balance between pak military and politics.Something which Musharaff cannot.

3) Studied in some Kansas college and has good links with the American Military.
Advantage : If Musharaff is not there in future, the US has some trust in Kayani and the western Media are more positive towards him than Musharaff.

4) Has served as ISI chief - He knows the working/nuances of the Intelligence too.So he will be extra careful even when trying to be friendly with the West.

All these points considered, take politics/military/defence/intelligence/positive opinion in media.General Kayani is your man.

General Kayani maybe a true professional.

But those who have tasted blood, are they ready to become normal military men without the clout they have acquired ever since the first martial law?

That is the question!

Most of those are Lt Gens who are pretty close to their retirement. Kiyani is bound to bring in his own team (which every chief does) to the top. Its of little significance as to what Musharraf's appointees may want or do..there is a new chief and all hail to the chief!

Keep an eye on this guy:

As far as my knowledge , I think General Kayani is the most experienced and astue General that Pakistan will have. Basis is from the following points.

1) He emerged from the lowest ranks of the military to the highest level.
Advantage: Knows every nuance in the military and has the ability to understand its pulse and act.

2) Served as Secretary for Bhutto and later as Directory general for military operations
Advantage : This makes him the a rare general to know the political workings and its impact on the military and vice-versa.With the current election results indicating PPP in power, it is likely that he still has some association/friends in PPP.He can provide a fair and acceptable balance between pak military and politics.Something which Musharaff cannot.

3) Studied in some Kansas college and has good links with the American Military.
Advantage : If Musharaff is not there in future, the US has some trust in Kayani and the western Media are more positive towards him than Musharaff.

4) Has served as ISI chief - He knows the working/nuances of the Intelligence too.So he will be extra careful even when trying to be friendly with the West.

All these points considered, take politics/military/defence/intelligence/positive opinion in media.General Kayani is your man.

Your point #1 is slightly off. Kiyani was never a ranker. He went to MCJ and from there to the PMA. He started his career in the Army as a comissioned officer (unlke his father). However having a father as an OR must give him an insight into the jawan that many others may not have.

Let Kayani do his work, let’s do ours: Nawaz

LAHORE: PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif distanced himself from commenting on Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Kayani in an interview with Outlook India.

“Let him do his work. Let us concentrate on ours. I don’t want to make any comments,” he said when asked how serious Kayani was in distancing the army from politics. “They [Kayani statements] appear to be according to the spirit of the Constitution. I think it’s a good thing, a positive development,” Nawaz said.

Nawaz said he had no personal vendetta against President Pervez Musharraf.

Musharraf sent Nawaz into exile in a bloodless coup in 1999. The two-time premier praised Indian generals for not exceeding their “domain”. “It is only Pakistani generals who do that.”

daily times monitor

Let Kayani do his work, let’s do ours: Nawaz

LAHORE: PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif distanced himself from commenting on Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Kayani in an interview with Outlook India.

“Let him do his work. Let us concentrate on ours. I don’t want to make any comments,” he said when asked how serious Kayani was in distancing the army from politics. “They [Kayani statements] appear to be according to the spirit of the Constitution. I think it’s a good thing, a positive development,” Nawaz said.

Nawaz said he had no personal vendetta against President Pervez Musharraf.

Musharraf sent Nawaz into exile in a bloodless coup in 1999. The two-time premier praised Indian generals for not exceeding their “domain”. “It is only Pakistani generals who do that.”

daily times monitor

Army maintains full neutrality

Maqbool Malik

ISLAMABAD - Maintaining complete neutrality, Pakistan Army has rejected attempts made by some political leaders seeking its role in forming a national government with the help of all the elected parliamentary parties.
TheNation has reliably learnt that Pakistan Army refused to encourage some political parties, including leaders of former ruling alliance seeking its role in process of government formation.
Informed sources said that some leaders of the former ruling alliance were disappointed when they tried to involve the Pakistan Army to play its role in making the new government.
Consequently, the largest component of that alliance had to opt for sitting on the opposition benches in the center as well as three provinces including Punjab, Sindh and NWFP.
“They (Pakistan Army) is not ready to pay heed to our concerns”, a PML-Q leader from Sindh told TheNation on condition of anonymity.
According to sources, the Legal Aid Committee, set up by the PML-Q under the chairmanship of Senator SM Zafar was the last resort by the party to seek some relief from the Election Commission of Pakistan.
Pakistan Army had played crucial role in ensuring peaceful elections in the country on February 18.

The Nation

Pak army fully capable to face risks: Kayani

RAWALPINDI: Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani said the Pakistan army is fully capable to cope with any threat facing the stability of country. Addressing a ceremony of Pak army officers in field area, he stressed the soldiers to heed improving upon their professional capabilities. Earlier, the army chief visited the UAV complex, where he was given briefing regarding the induction of UAV system in the military. On the occasion, he inspected UAV flights display and lauded the training standards in the military.

Courtesy Geo

Back
Top Bottom