What's new

From Japan to India with Love: The ShinMaywa US-2

Cheers to that !
Cheers. All in all Indian navy's ASW,maritime surveillance, SAR capabilities are gonna be enhanced greatly and unmatched in the region with 24 P-8/comparable aircrafts, 8-12 global hawk UAVs, 15-18 Shinmaywa-us2.

hmmm, thought these are for humanitarian and fire fighting missions, at least, that's what China is building them for.

What has Japan done with them up to this point.

US-1as are used for ASW , while US-2s can be used for ASW, but also have greater amphibious transport abilities.

Being able to travel 5000 kms is indispensable for maritime patrols...

hmmm, thought these are for humanitarian and fire fighting missions, at least, that's what China is building them for.

What has Japan done with them up to this point.
Thats the beauty of these aircrafts. Can be used as transport/troop carrying aircraft, SAR, humanitarian missions, ASW etc.

So it appears that besides the 12 that will be delivered to the Indian Navy, an additional 5 will be forwarded to the Indian Coast Guard.

What a hefty fleet ! Excellent developments, if i say so myself.

Yes. The US-2 are equipped with a host of anti-sub capabilities such as space for depth charges, Mark 46 torpedos, hellfire missiles, etc.

If India wants to arm these to the teeth...its hers. lol.
Nihonjin O'- Nii San,the Indian Navy,at this moment is pretty desperate to buy some advanced submarines in order to replace her obsolete Kilo class ones and i believe that Japan has got the perfect solution to this problem.If only your country agrees to sell the Soryu class submarine to the Indian Navy it will be a tremendous boost to the Indian Navy's sub-surface capabilities.So,do you think that the Japanese Parliament will allow the Shinzo Abe Govt. to sell those advanced submarines to us??

Nihonjin O'- Nii San,the Indian Navy,at this moment is pretty desperate to buy some advanced submarines in order to replace her obsolete Kilo class ones and i believe that Japan has got the perfect solution to this problem.If only your country agrees to sell the Soryu class submarine to the Indian Navy it will be a tremendous boost to the Indian Navy's sub-surface capabilities.So,do you think that the Japanese Parliament will allow the Shinzo Abe Govt. to sell those advanced submarines to us??

An offer was made recently , and I think the possibility is there. Japan should seize the initiative. :)

US-1as are used for ASW , while US-2s can be used for ASW, but also have greater amphibious transport abilities.

Being able to travel 5000 kms is indispensable for maritime patrols...
Thats the beauty of these aircrafts. Can be used as transport/troop carrying aircraft, SAR, humanitarian missions, ASW etc.

well sure, they can be used for anything, it's just a platform, but what will it be used for, and what has it been used for.

Whats the update on ATD-X?

When are u guys inviting India for partnerships? :enjoy:

well sure, they can be used for anything, it's just a platform, but what will it be used for, and what has it been used for.
Well article pretty much explains main objectives of these aircrafts i.e Maritime patrol, SAR and transport. And as Navy and Coast guards, both will get these so I wont be surprised if atleast naval versions will be armed.

I think US 2 will be manufactured in India, Japan is keen to take part in "Make in India".

The main objective of "Make in India" is to get the best technologies in the world which will make lives better ,"Make in India", Give them back at cheaper prices to the countries around the world.

Last edited:
Whats the update on ATD-X?

When are u guys inviting India for partnerships? :enjoy:

Military and Industrial R&D partnership needs to be fast forwarded between us. :)

Its really up to India. :)

India is getting set to acquire the massive ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft from Japan as part of their expanding bilateral strategic partnership, with both nations wary of China's assertive behaviour in the Asia-Pacific region.

The defence acquisitions council (DAC), chaired by Manohar Parrikar, on Saturday will take up the proposal to "empower" the joint working group (JWG) to negotiate the purchase of at least 12 US-2i aircraft for the Navy for around $1.3 billion.

"It will be like an AON (acceptance of necessity) that the Navy requires 12 US-2i as of now, and the commercial negotiations for them can begin. The Coast Guard, in turn, may require five such planes," said a defence ministry source.

The JWG set up by India and Japan has been discussing "cooperation on the US-2 amphibian aircraft", including technology transfer and licenced production, since 2013 but a decisive stage seems to have been reached now.

When PM Narendra Modi visited Japan last September for talks with his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe, the two directed the JWG to "accelerate progress in the discussions and preparations for a roadmap for the development of the Indian aircraft industry through the US-2 aircraft cooperation". This, as is evident, envisages a much bigger project in the making, which will probably kick-off with the initial defence acquisition of 12 aircraft.

The Modi government has also asked Japan, which recently lifted its five-decade-old arms export embargo, if it's interested in fielding its Soryu-class submarines for the over Rs 50,000 crore project to build six stealth submarines in India, as was first reported by TOI.

The US-2i is quite a unique aircraft, capable as it is of short take-offs from land as well as water with a range of over 4,500 km. Powered by four big turbo-props, it can land even on rough seas amid three-metre high waves.

Though basically designed for air-sea search and rescue operations, the US-2i can also rapidly transport 30 combat-ready soldiers to "hot zones" in an emergency. "The aircraft will give a huge boost to our operational logistics in areas like the far-flung but strategically critical Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It can also land spares and equipment in close proximity to warships on the high seas," said an official.

Incidentally, the relatively new naval air station INS Baaz at Campbell Bay in the A&N archipelago overlooks the Malacca Strait while dominating the Six-Degree Channel, in keeping with India's overall policy to counter China's strategic moves in the Indian Ocean region as well as ensure security of shipping lanes.

View attachment 196630

View attachment 196631
Wow, thats like a ship that can fly. What are the competitions of this aircraft? which countries have such aircrafts?

They should consider it, but India is leaning towards the P-8s, AFAIK. Tho they should purchase a squadron of P-1s diversify their inventory.

Diversifying the inventory for the same purpose will only increase the logistical burden.

Two countries needs to KAIZEN the relationship n expand it to new strategic level.....

So it appears that besides the 12 that will be delivered to the Indian Navy, an additional 5 will be forwarded to the Indian Coast Guard.

What a hefty fleet ! Excellent developments, if i say so myself.

Yes. The US-2 are equipped with a host of anti-sub capabilities such as space for depth charges, Mark 46 torpedos, hellfire missiles, etc.

If India wants to arm these to the teeth...its hers. lol.

We will definitely arm these babies,hope there is some sort of TOT Involved too

This strategic reality should calm the fears of any Pakistani members.

They should consider it, but India is leaning towards the P-8s, AFAIK. Tho they should purchase a squadron of P-1s diversify their inventory.

Nope we already have 3 types of Submarine hunters P-8s,TUs & IL-38s
adding yet another type of Aircraft will result in Logistics Nightmare

Back
Top Bottom