What's new

France starts ban on full-face veil

Why does the "secular" State force non-Christians to adjust their work schedule according to Christian sensibilities?

France Official Holidays

• New Year's Day
  • Good Friday
  • Easter Monday
  • Labor Day
  • Ascension (l'Ascencion)
  • WWII Victory Day
  • Bastille Day (Fête nationale)
  • Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Assomption)
  • All Saints Day (La Toussaint)
  • Armistice Day (Jour d'armistice)
  • Christmas Day (Noël)
  • 2nd Day of Christmas (in Alsace and Lorraine only)

you come and see India, we have more holidays than working days. This is happen when goverment play in hand of so called minority (which is not minority at all according to UN resolutions)

Probably the same reason Muslim are free of work on Eid.....it just isn't official. In exchange they get to work in businesses that need to be open on Christmas, New Year's day etc....

Not the same thing. A Muslim has to advertise that (s)he is Muslim in order to get the day off, and a private employer is free to refuse.

That rule does not apply to observant Christians. The secular state discriminates in favor of Christians by making their holy days as official holidays.

Yes, you are. And if and when you do, there wont be an angry mob coming after you.

No, I can't. The Minister decides what is "ostentatious" and what isn't.

French law on secularity and conspicuous religious symbols in schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the Minister of Education will issue circulaires, or instructions for its services; it seems that large crosses, full hijabs or yarmulkes would be banned, while small symbols such as small Stars of David or crosses in pendants would not be;

here the meaning I think is famous, widely known etc not about projection or visibility.

prom·i·nent (pr m -n nt)
adj.
1. Projecting outward or upward from
a line or surface; protuberant.
2. Immediately noticeable;
conspicuous. See Synonyms at
noticeable .
3. Widely known; eminent.

What I wrote above.

I think the ban is on full face veil, so unless Sikhs invent full face turban it's not going to effect them.

Hijab also exempt of the ban I think.

you come and see India, we have more holidays than working days. This is happen when goverment play in hand of so called minority (which is not minority at all according to UN resolutions)

The issue is not about the number of holidays, but the fact that the "secular" state has decided one religion's holy days must be acknowledged by everyone else.

Not the same thing. A Muslim has to advertise that (s)he is Muslim in order to get the day off, and a private employer is free to refuse.

That rule does not apply to observant Christians. The secular state discriminates in favor of Christians by making their holy days as official holidays.

Maybe, just maybe because those holidays have been present for hundreds of years? Removing a work free day from the list of holidays surely will not do wonders for the party that implemented it.

No, I can't. The Minister decides what is "ostentatious" and what isn't.

French law on secularity and conspicuous religious symbols in schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the Minister of Education will issue circulaires, or instructions for its services; it seems that large crosses, full hijabs or yarmulkes would be banned, while small symbols such as small Stars of David or crosses in pendants would not be;

How nice of you to go to this trouble and finding the law, now i'm certain it is written in a good way.
Namely, a pious Muslim (or adherent of any religion) can get around it by wearing a similar sized crescent somewhere on him, most likely around the neck too, so it is visible to all, but not intrusive that one looks at it the first instant he walks into some room-like virgin Mary portraits, burqas, hijabs, giant crosses on walls, giant turbans etc....

I'm surprised you haven't caught on to this loophole, although maybe you did, but straws were too attractive. Who knows....

Does the concept of a secular country which is represented by people with excessive religious symbols sound ok to you?
If a certain person feels these requirements encroach on him or her he is welcome to find another job. That is his freedom as well.

And what about my freedom of not wanting to see symbols of backwardness when taking care of various bureaucratic processes which are stressful as is.

To me small crosses represent that, now will you take yours off (assuming we are of the same country)?

To me small crosses represent that, now will you take yours off (assuming we are of the same country)?

Small religious items and tokens are allowed as per the law quoted above. You are free to leave the country if it is a problem. I can live with small crosses, crescents etc....

Small religious items and tokens are allowed as per the law quoted above. You are free to leave the country if it is a problem. I can live with small crosses, crescents etc....

Still backwards so waht if small

Still backwards so waht if small

Well, if i would be making the law, all of it would have to go when doing government work. Sadly i don't, but at least i have the satisfaction of not seeing it on a large scale.

I sort of feel you are flame baiting me here with your nice one liners filled with wisdom. So, we will be finishing this debate as i am not keen to get an infraction. Thanks.

@Developereo @Audio
Then the same question is relevant "how large is large for a religious symbol?
I do think dress codes of every institution must be maintained,but on the same time individual freedom must be protected.

IMO in jobs where uniform, visual appeal is very important there it should be given importance and priority. there you can't argue for a burqa, beard etc

example -army, police, restaurant service, receptionist, where ever discipline , a theme, custom based dressing, appearance is necessary.
In jobs where dress code s still there but not as important as in the first type of jobs which I mentioned.
govt officers or any office which only demands executive, decent dressing, etc where relaxed dress codes are there.

so taking position in this regard should be on case by case basis, taking a constant position for or against dressing freedom is difficult and would be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if i would be making the law, all of it would have to go when doing government work. Sadly i don't, but at least i have the satisfaction of not seeing it on a large scale.

I sort of feel you are flame baiting me here with your nice one liners filled with wisdom. So, we will be finishing this debate as i am not keen to get an infraction. Thanks.

Plus I dont have much time so yea

All they would in theory have to do is let go of the turban at the workplace and maybe trim the beard a little..

I'm not sure about that. Kesh (untrimmed hair) is one of the 5 integral 'K's of Sikhism.

Lets see how it turns out.

@KS I am not sure if you know but head veil is common in elderly EUROPEAN ladies....

It is the NEW THOUGHT which is wanting this change....

Plus keep Europe as Europe = FREEDOM OF RELIGION!! Which they are not keeping hence, France is not even being Europe anymore...Just some scared state wanting attention!

Europe is Christian land. Period. If they dont like to see hijabis moving around then its their prerogative. And in many cases the girls are forced to wear hijab. I know many girls in my school who come with a hijab, remove it in school and when going home again start wearing it. What use is tat ?

this was expected from a white country.
i remember them aussies portraying andrew symonds as a hindu deity hanuman.
but there was no reply from india because if anybody had portrayed harbhajan singh as christian deity jesus he would have been persecuted by indian the laws.

but they don't force you to uncover yourself. Driving is a different issue altogether. btw before talking about Saudis take a look inside your own country and culture, where widows are forced against their will to wear only specific dress for the rest of their lives and forced not to wear jewlery, etc. and I am talking about real life not bollywood movies.
this is nothing compared to nonmuslims treated in muslims world

Back
Top Bottom