What's new

Four special ships for Navy

Magar class landing ship

These ships were made in India and are succeded by Shardul class LPDS

It can operate two medium-lift helicopters, which are primarily meant for "inserting" a small team of Special Forces (marine commandos). To discharge its cargo and most of the troops, it needs to be "beached" through its 'bow-door' (in the front).

INS_Magar.jpg

Shardul class landing ships Planned 3 / completed 3

INS_Airavat_commissioning_2.jpg

Shardul class LPDS are very small compared to INS Jalashwa so indai should try to buy such large ships

It is all good to hear..

But what is the use of these LPD's to India's naval doctrine ?

I mean who are the opponents we are going to attack from sea.? Is it Bangladesh,Sri Lanka,Maldives or Mauritius ?

The only nation is Pakistan and for that do we need these additional ships..arent the present ones enough?

Instead build more submarines/destroyers/frigates.

such ships are not only important for attack its will also be used for disaster management like the tsunami and many other

such ships are not only important for attack its will also be used for disaster management like the tsunami and many other

Then build more Magar Class and Shardul class ships.

The biggest shipyard in India, L&T is lying idle in Chennai.Give them that order.

Why wasting money on foreign ships.?

It is all good to hear..

But what is the use of these LPD's to India's naval doctrine ?

I mean who are the opponents we are going to attack from sea.? Is it Bangladesh,Sri Lanka,Maldives or Mauritius ?

The only nation is Pakistan and for that do we need these additional ships..arent the present ones enough?

Instead build more submarines/destroyers/frigates.

As far as i think,a powerful military should have a dedicated amphibious forward assault branch in its military,While the U.S and U.K and dedicated Marines brigade as a specific branch of military itself,we still lack in this field,hopefully better late than never,and our navy and army r associating to form such a squad

Yes u r right,currently their r no adversaries their for us to raise such a costly squad,but who know about the future,may b we send our LPD's to Karachi port after their initial defence is breached:lol:as far as what i perceive our navy should definitely have this LPD's as it greatly enhance our sea lift capacity

As far as i think,a powerful military should have a dedicated amphibious forward assault branch in its military,While the U.S and U.K and dedicated Marines brigade as a specific branch of military itself,we still lack in this field,hopefully better late than never,and our navy and army r associating to form such a squad

We are not US/UK to come to a nation halfway around the world to attack it.Nor do just four LPD's give that ability.

Yes u r right,currently their r no adversaries their for us to raise such a costly squad,but who know about the future,may b we send our LPD's to Karachi port after their initial defence is breached:lol:as far as what i perceive our navy should definitely have this LPD's as it greatly enhance our sea lift capacity

Thats what I said mate,For Pakistan (the only worthy adversary) the present Shardul Class,Magar class and the Jalashwa are more than enough.

The need of the hour is Submarines,more submarines and then destroyers/frigates.

We are not US/UK to come to a nation halfway around the world to attack it.Nor do just four LPD's give that ability.

U took me the wrong way,by comparing with U.S and U.K,i intend to say that every navy(at least our navy)should have a good sea lift capacity

Thats what I said mate,For Pakistan (the only worthy adversary) the present Shardul Class,Magar class and the Jalashwa are more than enough.

The need of the hour is Submarines,more submarines and then destroyers/frigates.

The induction of LPD's is not setting back our frigate and destroyer programme,its about submarines which the govt does not look so keen

U took me the wrong way,by comparing with U.S and U.K,i intend to say that every navy(at least our navy)should have a good sea lift capacity

Even I want them in the Navy..But my only contention is now is not the right time.There are far more pressing needs and the Navy needs to concentrate on that.

Even I want them in the Navy..But my only contention is now is not the right time.There are far more pressing needs and the Navy needs to concentrate on that.

Indian navy at present are thinking beyond Pakistan, as our present arsenal can easily handle Pakistan navy ,its concentrating more on becoming a true blue water navy all and these ships are required to make Indian navy a true blue water navy...

Last edited:
Indian navy at present are thinking beyond Pakistan, as our present arsenal can easily handle Pakistan navy ,its concentrating more on becoming a true blue water navy all and these ships are required to make Indian navy a true blue water navy...

Just because a tag "Blue-water" gets attached, we should not spend money unwisely , which could have been spent on much more useful resources.

Tell me which blue-water navy has only 10 useful submarines,no Nuclear attack submarine (own) , just a fledgling ballistic missile submarine.?

Go for the Subs first.Spend your time and resources on them first - the LPD's can wait.

Just because a tag "Blue-water" gets attached, we should not spend money unwisely , which could have been spent on much more useful resources.

Tell me which blue-water navy has only 10 useful submarines,no Nuclear attack submarine (own) , just a fledgling ballistic missile submarine.?

Go for the Subs first.Spend your time and resources on them first - the LPD's can wait.

You said it very wisely....we need at least 6-8 modern submarines as soon as possible....
Our depleted submarine fleet is surely is cause of concern...:cry:

IN should take the necessary steps to acquire that number of subs...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom