What's new

Four explosions in Quetta

Thanks for the update :rolleyes:

But apparently it was attack on NATO containers.

So why ask for my opinion then if you've got inside information ! :woot:

But seriously I have no contacts within the military or anything like it & yet when I look at it, purely from the outside, I can't bring myself to agree with that.

I don't think the Pakistan Military is ready or willing to influence Pakistani politics in the way it is suggested to be; they are stretched thin elsewhere & their foremost priority seems to be to let the Government, whatever Government it maybe, sort out their sh*t on a domestic level & try to tackle the economic & law & order crisis that Pakistan faces, & give them the space to work out post-2014 Afghanistan in a manner they see fit. I would imagine that the PML N & not the PTI would be a more amenable candidate for that owing to their timidity & the skeleton's in their closets.

I was asking to see what your opinion on Qadri was but since you agreed to disagree with his political movement, you went on to say about PTI. I had to post a comment as there was a clear contradiction. Hence some truth had to come from my mouth. :fie:

Well i respect your opinion. But for the sake of making sense, i can't understand why a civilian would disagree to what some senior members in the Army are agreeing to.

The reccomendation that i would give to the Army is simply the fact that there job should be to guard the borders. Any violence like in for example: Karachi, Baluchistan, and KPK is unacceptable. I gurantee anyone that the moment our Army is (NOT playing golf in backyards) just like any other Army in the the world would give us hope to solve our problems. By keeping the Navy at bay in an area to which NATO makes a hub in and by guarding Sindh's border touching India will insha'allah halt armed supplies reaching Karachi. For Baluchistan and KPK, it goes the same but what is a little different here is that the neighbour is Afghanistan and smuggling is a more common thing. The Army must ensure borders are fenced to teeth.

What are you talking about? If your government isn't able to protect a minority group, the Shias, Iran must step in. Simple as that. What has Iran done in Pakistan? You still haven't answered that. While Shias are getting bombed, Iran is sitting and watching. The Shias are not the problem in Pakistan; extremist Sunnis are.

Sorry, but you're in no condition no lecture others especially looking at the state of people like the Bahai'i in your country.

Yes Shia's have been increasingly targeted recently, but many other non-Shia's have died too. A sunni mosque in Swat was targeted yesterday too

Shia leaders question Army chief over Quetta carnage

QUETTA: Shia leaders on Friday publicly questioned Pakistani army chief General Ashfaq Kayani over security in the country after the previous day’s bombings aimed at the minority sect killed at least 102 people in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province.

“I ask the army chief: What have you done with these extra three years you got (in office). What did you give us except more death,” Maulana Amin Shaheedi, a central leader of the Majlis-i-Wahdat-i-Muslimeen, told a news conference.

Most of Thursday’s deaths were caused by twin attacks aimed Hazara Shias in Quetta, where members of the sect have long accused the state of turning a blind eye to extremist militant death squads.

The leaders were so outraged at the latest bloodshed that they called for the military to take control of the city to shield them and said they would not allow the 82 victims of twin bomb attacks to be buried until their demands were met.

The burials had been scheduled to take place after Friday prayers but the leaders said the bodies would remain in place until Shias receive promises of protection.

Shaheedi said scores of bodies were still lying on a road.

“They will not be buried until the army comes into Quetta,” he said.

Violence against Pakistan’s Shia Muslims is rising and some communities are living in a state of siege, a human rights group said on Friday.

“Last year was the bloodiest year for Shias in living memory,” said Ali Dayan Hasan of Human Rights Watch. “More than 400 were killed and if yesterday’s attack is any indication, it is just going to get worse.”

The banned extremist group Lashkar-e-Jangvi (LeJ) claimed responsibility for the attack in a predominantly Shia neighbourhood where the residents are ethnic Hazaras, a majority of whom are Shias who first migrated from Afghanistan in the nineteenth century.

The LeJ has stepped up attacks against Shias across the country but has zeroed in on members of the sect who live in resource-rich Balochistan province.

“The LeJ operates under one front or the other, and its activists go around openly shouting, ‘infidel, infidel, Shia infidel’ and ‘death to Shias’ in the streets of Quetta and outside our mosques,” said Syed Dawwod Agha, a top official with the Balochistan Shia Conference.

“We have become a community of grave diggers. We are so used to death now that we always have shrouds ready.”

Among the dead in Quetta was Khudi Ali, a young activist who often wore a T-shirt with fake bloodstains during protests against the rising violence against Shias.

Ali’s Twitter profile said: “I am born to fight for human rights and peace.”

The roughly 500,000-strong Hazara people in Quetta, who speak a Persian dialect, have distinct features and are an easy target, said Dayan.

“They live in a state of siege. Stepping out of the ghetto means risking death,” said Dayan. “Everyone has failed them – the security services, the government, the judiciary.”

Shia leaders question Army chief over Quetta carnage | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Very sad...Rest In Peace.

I hear on CNN that more than 100 innocent lives lost due to this incident. It is disturbing that 2009 kind of attacks started again. Where are the security authorities? Where are Intelligence agencies? Why they failed to prevent these kind of incidents?

its just a reminder that they will continue to kill the innocent people of a minority community and get a way with it just like they did some time ago by stopping buses and executing people.

our law enforcement and security agencies dont fail at all
they just lack the will and dont have the orders to confront these killers
the radicalized population has still not forgiven Pakistan army over lal masjid operation yet. if the state goes against these people once again then they will turn every mosque into a graveyard.

dont be surprised, in few days this tragedy will be forgotten.

@Irfan Baloch......A personal Question Sir I know you were a Mod ...so why the demotion you and oscar were the best mods...If you don't want to answer thats fine ...

Last edited by a moderator:

...the sad reality we have to face.

You are talking about days...a hundred plus people die and the nation or the media does not bat an eyelid. Nor does the government in federal or province.

Really unfortunate, hundred people just vanish like that, koi wali waris nhn ryasat ki taraf say. India goes on a propaganda spree, and no heads move, except those in the army. (as well as the Haqqani case, where army had to take the initiative). Where is our state in this time? Guess TUQ and personal glory is much more important than hundred people.

11 January 2013 Last updated at 15:46 GMT
Pakistan blasts: Shia refuse to bury Quetta bomb dead.

Balochistan province has declared three days of mourning

Pakistan's minority Shia community has protested angrily over what it says is a lack of protection in the city of Quetta, a day after almost 100 people died there in a series of blasts.

Leaders of the community have refused to bury the dead until security is improved.

One Shia leader publicly criticised army chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani.

Sunni militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi said it carried out the deadliest attack in Quetta on Thursday.

Three days of mourning have been announced in Balochistan province after the blasts in its capital, on what appeared to be the single deadliest day of bombings in Pakistan for five years.

'Hell on Earth'
The worst attack targeted a snooker hall late on Thursday evening in Alamdar Road. One suicide bomber detonated his device and a car bomb was detonated minutes later as police, rescuers and media arrived.

Most of the dead were from Quetta's 500,000-strong Hazara Shia.

Members of the community on Friday laid coffins in the street, refusing to bury them.

The president of the Shia Conference, Syed Dawood Agha, told the BBC that his community would not bury its dead till the army had given an assurance it would take administrative control of the city.

A relative of one of the victims, Fida Hussain, said: "We want safety for our all sects, and all security measures should be taken for our safety. We will not bury them until the government fulfils all our demands."

One resident, Jan Ali, told Associated Press that Thursday's blast at the snooker hall was "a scene like hell on Earth".

"Rescue people were carrying out dead and injured, people bleeding and crying, and rushing them toward ambulances. I have never seen such a horrifying situation in my life."

Among the dead was Quetta-based rights activist, Irfan Ali, who was reportedly helping those wounded in the first blast.

Another resident, Abbas Ali, told AP news agency: "This government has totally failed in protecting us. Somehow we will get compensation for our losses but those who have gone away will not come back."

The BBC's Orla Guerin describes the "utter carnage" at the snooker hall
Key Shia leader Maulana Amin Shaheedi criticised what he said was the inaction of Gen Kayani.

He said: "I ask the army chief: 'What have you done with these extra three years you got [in office]? What did you give us except more death?'"

Shia protesters also turned out in the port city of Karachi to demonstrate their anger at the killings.

'Separatist attack'
At least 80 people were killed at the snooker hall, with more than 100 injured.

Continue reading the main story
Sunni and Shia Muslims

Muslims are split into two main branches, the Sunnis and Shias
The split originates in a dispute soon after the death of the Prophet Muhammad over who should lead the Muslim community
There are also differences in doctrine, ritual, law, theology and religious organisation
The great majority of Muslims are Sunnis
Pakistan - where Shias are a minority - has a history of sectarian bloodshed dating back to the 1980s
The BBC's M Ilyas Khan in Islamabad says Lashkar-e-Jhangvi has in the past targeted the area's Hazara Shia.

Earlier, a bomb in a market area killed 11 people and injured 27 more.

Paramilitary personnel of the Frontier Corps appeared to be the target.

A spokesman for militant group, the United Baloch Army, said it had carried out that bombing.

Balochistan is plagued by a separatist rebellion as well as the sectarian infighting.

The Taliban and armed groups that support them also carry out attacks in the province, particularly in areas near the Afghan border.

Also on Thursday, at least 21 people were killed and more than 80 injured in an explosion near Mingora in Pakistan's north-western Swat valley.

The blast took place at a religious gathering.

Police initially said the explosion was caused by a gas canister, but a senior official later said it was a bomb.

Are you in the region? Send us your comments and experiences using the form below.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

BBC News - Pakistan blasts: Shia refuse to bury Quetta bomb dead

its just a reminder that they will continue to kill the innocent people of a minority community and get a way with it just like they did some time ago by stopping buses and executing people.

the radicalized population has still not forgiven Pakistan army over lal masjid operation yet. if the state goes against these people once again then they will turn every mosque into a graveyard.

How much influence does the LEJ have in Balochistan? I've heard that they were threatening doctors in Quetta yesterday to not treat the patients because they were Shia/Hazara.

I can sense a satire...

Seriously, it's now getting outrageous, these elements must be halted before it's too late.

Pakistan does not benefit from these retarded ideologies coming our of middle east. time to sack up everyone!

Back
Top Bottom