What's new

Founder of China : Cantonese - Hakka

Are Shanghainese a special group among Chinese? I search wikipedia and it says they have the richest city in China although I'm not sure if this includes Hong Kong/Macau since their both like some kind of special administrative region with their own rules, governments

In my city (Hong Kong), the Teochew and the Shanghainese are considered to be the richest.

Li Ka-shing for example is of Teochew descent.

Are Shanghainese a special group among Chinese? I search wikipedia and it says they have the richest city in China although I'm not sure if this includes Hong Kong/Macau since their both like some kind of special administrative region with their own rules, governments

Nothing special, we are just living in an economically developed area of China for many hundreds of years.

But who are the highest class and lowest class? Are Tanka a low class group among Chinese? in India even we have countless low class group but only a few top seed groups. Be thankful to God if you're on the top class

About the Tanka

The differences between the sea dwelling Tanka and land dwellers were not based merely on their way of life. Cantonese and Hakka who lived on land fished sometimes for a living, but these land fishermen never mixed or married with the Tanka fishermen. Tanka were barred from Cantonese and Hakka celebrations.[16]

Some southern Chinese historic views of the Tanka were that they were a separate aboriginal ethnic group, "not Han Chinese at all".[39] Chinese Imperial records also claim that the Tanka were descendants of aboriginals.[40] Tanka were also accused of being "sea gypsies".[10]

In India the Dalits and other aboriginal South Indian groups are considered less important than rats. No rights and no priveledge is given. A British guy I know is a Dalit and he wanted to kill himself because of his position in society

dalitVillagers.jpg

Last edited:
In my city (Hong Kong), the Teochew and the Shanghainese are considered to be the richest.

Those Shanghainese in HK were mainly descended from Ningbonese, they behave a lot like Teochew.

Chiang Kai-Shek was a Ningbonese, and Stephen Chow also descended from Ningbonese.

I find Indian and Chinese so similar. Even among themselves they both strive to be the best and strive to be superior than the others.

The caste system is sick, it made Indians fighting against themselves and striving to be the best among all group so they can never get discriminated by other groups

All you can only hope to be on the top and the good thing is I'm on the top of the food chain

Attachments

• upload_2013-11-17_1-28-34.png
    upload_2013-11-17_1-28-34.png
    406.5 KB · Views: 17
I have read his Hakka rumor long time ago. However, the official document of China never mentioned about his Hakka background, thus i won't take the source from Wikipedia as a reliable source.

How said official document of China about 胡耀邦 Hú Yàobāng, ?

its reported in Chinese forum that he is Hakka (? )

Hu Yaobang was a Hakka from Jiangxi (a province bordering with Zhejiang in the west), not sure about Deng Xiaoping.

Those Shanghainese in HK were mainly descended from Ningbonese, they behave a lot like Teochew.

Chiang Kai-Shek was a Ningbonese, and Stephen Chow also descended from Ningbonese.

Are Ningbonese even a Chinese sub-ethnic group? they are just people from Ningbong. What you mean is Wu people.

Perharps Hakka have inferior complex or other have inferior complex that is why they need to claim significant historical figures

It's just like how other Indians are jealous of Brahmin, Gujarati, Punjabis historical figures and make claims

Some non-bramin made a stupid claim that the first prime minster had was their figure with bs claims because they feel the need that to claim someone important will give them some meaning to existence and boost their self-esteem.

Last edited:
Are Ningbonese even a Chinese sub-ethnic group? they are just people from Ningbong. What you mean is Wu people.

We have much more linguistic diversity. If we break all these languagese in

Sure, but since the English sources have the limited knowledge about the Chinese sub-ethnic groups, that's why they didn't post it on Wikipedia.

Here goes a ethnic classification for a Ningbonese

ethnicity: Han-Chinese
sub-ethnicity: Jiangnanese
sub-sub-ethnicity: Ningbonese

Shanghainese also belong to the Jiangnanese sub-ethnicity, but they are a mixture of many Jiangnanese groups + some groups from Central-North Jiangsu and Anhui.

Sure, but since the English sources have the limited knowledge about the Chinese sub-ethnic groups, that's why they didn't post it on Wikipedia.

Here goes a ethnic classification for a Ningbonese

ethnicity: Han-Chinese
sub-ethnicity: Jiangnanese
sub-sub-ethnicity: Ningbonese

Shanghainese also belong to the Jiangnanese sub-ethnicity, but they are a mixture of many Jiangnanese groups + some groups from Central-North Jiangsu and Anhui.

What is the purpose of classifying sub-ethnicity groups into sub-sub-ethnicity? aren't people confused by this?

Jiangnanese = Northern Wu people, although the Southern Wu people are closely related to its northern counterpart, but Jiangnanese still exclusively means Northern Wu people.

Jiangnanese = Northern Wu people, although the Southern Wu people are closely related to its northern counterpart, but Jiangnanese still exclusively means Northern Wu people.

However I'm sure people like you treat all Indians as Indians?

Would you acknowledge the difference of being a Brahmin or a Gujarati? ( let alone if they were broke down into sub-ethnicity ?)

What is the purpose of classifying sub-ethnicity groups into sub-sub-ethnicity? aren't people confused by this?

Because China has a history with five thousands, its language shows more diversification than English and French.

There are even many sub-dialects among the Wu dialects, and same for other dialects.

For there are many sub-dialects for Cantonese as well, but the standard Cantonese is Guangzhounese, which is also the Cantonese spoken in Hong Kong.

I can understand many words in Guangzhounese, but not other marginal Cantonese from the rural areas. 
However I'm sure people like you treat all Indians as Indians?

Would you acknowledge the difference of being a Brahmin or a Gujarati? ( let alone if they were broke down into sub-ethnicity ?)

I know there are many sub-languages among the Indo-Aryan language spoken in India.

So, there must have some difference, but each groups are still closely related to each other.

Because China has a history with five thousands, its language shows more diversification than English and French.

There are even many sub-dialects among the Wu dialects, and same for other dialects.

For there are many sub-dialects for Cantonese as well, but the standard Cantonese is Guangzhounese, which is also the Cantonese spoken in Hong Kong.

I can understand many words in Guangzhounese, but not other marginal Cantonese from the rural areas.

But do they identify separately from eachother?

Back
Top Bottom